What big event in the lore would you like to see next?

Enoby

I think we can agree that Malign Portents was great and it really improved the lore in leaps and bounds. Now that the Necroquake has happened and the Mortals Realms are still reeling, it seems like a perfect time to set up another disaster. It could be anything from a huge Waaagh that takes advantage of the weakened walls of Order, the much anticipated escape of Slaanesh, or something totally different. 

What would you like to see happen next in the lore?

• Replies 83
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I think we're going to see the release of Slaanesh first - there's just too much going about Slaanesh recently.

Then we could see some big Waaagh!, because Destruction needs more good stuff.

What next? I don't know. Nothing. Absolutely. Rumours about some big uprising of walking rats are preposterous, yes-yes.

54 minutes ago, Enoby said:

I think we can agree that Malign Portents was great and it really improved the lore in leaps and bounds. Now that the Necroquake has happened and the Mortals Realms are still reeling, it seems like a perfect time to set up another disaster. It could be anything from a huge Waaagh that takes advantage of the weakened walls of Order, the much anticipated escape of Slaanesh, or something totally different. 

What would you like to see happen next in the lore?

1. A big Whaaaaaaaaaaaaag which will rampage through the realms and needs to be stopped 

2. A campaign which determens the fait of Slaanesh

13(or thirdly and mainly) The rise of a specific race, who have waited, watched and grown in mass.

personally I feel like they can linger on the effects of the necroquake and further develop what it means more for all the realms.

I was kind of hoping they'd release something like 'Firestorm', with all out war declared between Shyish and Azyr

Just not sure they need to rush past that straight into the next big thing (which I am assuming will be something to do with Slaanesh and the Aelven gods).

I think the necroquake and its after affects across the realms should be fleshed out a bit more so that it can build up to the next major storyline. 40k is doing this right know with the Vigilus storyline. It started off with the huge rift torn across the galaxy, now its focused on the planet which is now an important point thanks to the rift. 

Like what @JPjr said, let's see how the realms are dealing with the current issue and with that the story and slowly progress to the next big threat. If you suddenly shift from dead things coming out of the ground to suddenly Slaanesh running amok with no way to bridge the two storylines, it will feel very jagged and off. 

Like @CaptainSoup and @JPjr the after effects of the Necroquake and the emergence of 4 or 5 more factions is more important.

TBH  I would actually HATE to see a campaign decide Slaanesh's fate.  I'd much prefer a series of short stories ala Malign Portents leading up to a return or change in Slaanesh's status.

After that a exploration of Ghur - a Waaagh perhaps.

In the future I'd like to see the Realms of Chaos come into the game like the mortal realms did in AOS 2 and Malign Sorcery, and/or more Realms with their own powers, artefacts and rules.

I'd like to see the rise and solidification of civilizations once more. 

I know its all doom and gloom and Chaos beat most of it back, but I'd welcome a big event where we see the unveiling of major settlements that survived and held out; esp humans. 

2 minutes ago, zedatkinszed said:

Like @CaptainSoup and @JPjr the after effects of the Necroquake and the emergence of 4 or 5 more factions is more important.

TBH  I would actually HATE to see a campaign decide Slaanesh's fate.  I'd much prefer a series of short stories ala Malign Portents leading up to a return or change in Slaanesh's status.

After that a exploration of Ghur - a Waaagh perhaps.

In the future I'd like to see the Realms of Chaos come into the game like the mortal realms did in AOS 2 and Malign Sorcery, and/or more Realms with their own powers, artefacts and rules.

If they ever did focus on a Slaanesh storyline, I doubt it would have any meaningful conclusion as to the "fate" of Slaanesh. He/she/it might break free and get re-captured or something, but it won't end the God's existence in any way that would effect the overall setting of "Here are the four main Chaos Gods" aesthetic. 

I wouldn't mind seeing more realms revealed to us over time. That could be easily added in. I'm not sure about Realms of Chaos though unless you mean realms taken over by Chaos. Aren't the realms of Chaos basically just the warp? The warp is a pretty crazy place most people can't exist in. 

I would love to see more civilizations springing up as Chaos is beaten back by the increasingly inhuman Stormcast, until some of the cities have rebellions of people who don't want to be purged just because they thought about Nurgle for a few minutes. Then, BOOM, the biggest WAAAGH ever, led by Gordrakk and a lot of new Destruction forces/models/abilities/etc. Give Sigmar and Order something to fight against that isnt just 'Chaos doing Chaos stuff and ghosts'.

You could even throw in some Chaos strongholds and cities too, since there have to be a few that worship Chaos gods but aren't all heading off to war every day. They too have to defend their walls against the great Waaagh. I'm not saying Chaos and Order would team up, but it would be cool to see them on the same 'side' against a far more destructive enemy.

1 hour ago, CaptainSoup said:

Aren't the realms of Chaos basically just the warp? The warp is a pretty crazy place most people can't exist in. 

Yes and no. It is literally a crazy place (where time runs backwards and fast forwards) but it's not necessarily uninhabitable. I'd be okay with it being Chaos faction specific. Eg A band of mortals who live in Brass mountains in the Realm of Khorne. Or a mad band of Tzeentch cultists who have returned from an eternity lost in the crystal labyrinth. Or Pestigors with relics and abilities from the Garden of Nurgle. But yeah this is unlikely.

Something like the realm of Dark Magic, or Ice Magic or the Great Maw (all of which were seperate type sof magic in WHFB) are more likely.

I would like nothing more than for Gordrakk to unite the forces of destruction and smash in the walls of Azyr to have a good ol scrap with Sigmar's boiz while he's distracted fighting off Nagash. Test his mettle and create the biggest Waaagh!! the mortal realms have ever seen. Put Gordrakk's command ability (being destruction speciific not just ironjawz) to good use and create some mixed destruction battalions, really push the gathering of might 2.5k+ size games and see some absolute havoc in the mortal realms. #makegrandalliancesgreatagain..?

I’ve mentioned it before but Id like to see the story of the Great Kurgan and the four sons complete. Not sure if tamurkhan would need rewriting to come in line with lore, or be a figure that exsisted in the old world brought back. The new khorne fella on the dragon would then follow, followed by tzeentch, and finally the Kurgan son of Slaanesh to tie in, somehow with Slaaneshes release, or finding. 

If not the whole Kurgan and sons story could date during the Age of Chaos leading to the downfall of all the realms. Age of Heresy style. nice leather books, a few models with respective centrepieces for the gods, with two already done. And then lead them in into the current age as the pillars of Chaos that need to be brought down to defeat Chaos, or at least push it back. 

Could explore the realms in great Detail through those books, like Tamurkhan did, this time looking at Nurgle in Ghyran and the Pestigor followers that were marshalled from Ghur, battles with greenskins, followed by battles with Sylvaneth, the greenest of green books. Khorne in Aqysh also looking at Azyr for the first hosts of Stormcast that attacked, Tzeentch in  Chamon facing off Duardin, also looking into Hysh, and how the forces of the dead fought off Tzeentch, maybe some of Nagash’s plans of Tzeentch’s, just as planned. and Slaanesh in Ulgu, but also with Hysh as hes somewhere in the middle and would link in with elves nicley. Lets call the series Arcana Chaotica, I look foward to seeing this FW and GW.... 

Yeah +1 for the Mighty Waaagh!

I'm stoked about the Moonclan book, but we have to be realistic about our expectations for it.  One faction-specific book can't fix a whole GA that has missed out on so much for so long.

Hoping for some strong support in the lore with a Summer campaign and proper Black Library support.  Hopefully with some kind of lasting impact on the setting, to establish Destruction as relevant.

(Plus a soup Battletome and two more releases (Gutbusters and something out of leftfield) between now and the end of that Summer campaign, to catch up on several years of missing out on Battletomes and GH Allegiance Abilities.)

2 minutes ago, Kirjava13 said:

I think something big and fun and lore-altering, but not necessarily world-changing and cataclysmic, would be nice. That way a campaign could work around it, but it wouldn't matter so much which result players ultimately end up generating.

Yeah I think the setting is becoming mature enough that a "big deal" doesn't have to mean something setting-wide, establishing where we are and what's what any more. 

It could be something like a Free City being obliterated - that would be a big deal now.

Some outside the box ideas of Destruction and Slaanesh:

1. The next Elves. Malekith/Malerion has not had his force revealed, and Teclis and Tyrion still have a few other elf races brewing too.

2. Something more on Allarielle’s band of wandering elves.

3. Another race that had hid (see IDK and KO) revealed to us

4. Another mortarch on the move for the Death GA

5. Humies finally get some love

6. Skaven Shenanigans (yes yes)

1 hour ago, SuperHappyTime said:

4. Another mortarch on the move for the Death GA

there's 2 characters in the Soul Wars novel who are, essentially, a zombie queen and Deathrattle king who would make good additions if you wanted to develop the, I presume, ongoing story of Shyish's war against beleaguered and besieged Azyrite colonies.

Not sure how often have characters originated in the novels made it to the actual game (rather than vice versa) though.

On the subject of interesting but not world altering stories they could move onto I still think some kind of Duardin vs. Grot vs. Skaven three way royal rumble would be great to do around the launch of the Moonclan battle tome. Some kind of campaign to retake, or at least explore and bring back some runic macguffin from, an ancient, abandoned and now overrun Duardin mountain hold.

Shines a light on 3 thematically linked but often secondary to the main story factions, could have some serious consequences for those involved without being a universe changing event and would be a great opportunity to devise a narrative campaign that really made the most of both the new aerial and underground battle rules they put into the new core book.

58 minutes ago, Ollie Grimwood said:

WAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAGH

WAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAGH!

Anyone else remember that Realm gate in ghur that's actually the mouth of a giant beast that keeps moving about? (think it's mentioned in the Ironjawz book) 

How about a prelude campaign involving Gordrakk and other champions of destruction trying to hunt down this creature whilst the other GA's try and stop them, call it The Hunt for the Maw Gate and have it as a prelude to Gordrakk's great big Waaagh. The Hunt could be the actual campaign with the Waaagh more of an ongoing issue throughout the realms like the necroquake. 

Also WAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAGH is in my autocorrect now and I cannot be happier. 

The Necroquake stirs up all the Skaven and they start swarming everywhere. 

I don’t want to see Slaanesh back at all, I think it’s much more original, interesting and compelling to have a “lost” god that his/her followers are constantly questing to find. If Slaanesh is released though (probably inevitable) then it should be a new edition level event like the Necroquake.

Whatever happens, it should be Necroquake focussed for a while.

Archived