Battleforce: slave of darkness

GeneralZero

Chaos warshrine and manticore are GW exclusive.

That make me think that this box is probably one (if not THE) most interesting battleforce of the 10 this year. I'm really tempted.

How do they perform in game? Has any one tried the manticore? the warshrine?

I have already an old (metal) winged daemon prince. This box + the prince should be a nice start? What are your impressions?

On 11/5/2018 at 2:52 AM, Agent of Chaos said:

whats actually in it? 

Lord on Manticore, Shrine, 16 Warriors, 10 Knights and 1 Chariot sounds about right.

I'm really tempted to get this one as well. Seem like good value and covers stuff that is not in the SC box.

As a side note, a lot of my enthusiasm comes from me expecting a merge of Everchosen + StD (markable) and Darkoath becoming their own thing (Probably not markable and riding the low-corruption/chaosy wave of Barbarians or total war Norsca, which is personally not my thing but would be pretty cool regardless. Would give them some distance to the rest.).

@GeneralZero For 2000pt games I usually run a godsworn warband (let's a unit get a free pile in and attack if they're within 3" of an enemy hero or monster)

General: Daemon prince w/ axe, mark of the all favored, wings

exalted hero of nurgle

exalted hero of tzeench

lord of chaos (slaanesh) on daemonic mount

lord of chaos (khorne) on foot

sorcerer lord (tzeench)

marauder horsemen  (khorne) w/javelines X10

marauders  (khorne) w/flails X10

Knights (slaanesh) X5

warriors (nurgle) w/dual weapons X15

warriors (tzeench) w/shields and weapon X10

Warshrine (tzeench)

gorebeast chariot (slaanesh) w/great weapon

Luckily it's easy to use an aspiring champion from warriors as exalted heroes, and it's easy to kitbash mounted lords using knights. You could probably buy a slaves to darkness starter box to fill out the last few warriors, get a sorcerer and an extra chariot so that you have more options and enough battleline.

yeah I know but I'm thinking about maybe a nice hero or one/two units of daemons to give my force a tasty touch of chaos gods. Those chaos list won't be super competitive but fun to play. I already have super strong forces of death/NH/SCE. (ful range)

And you know what, after thinking and thinking, my take is that this battleforce of SoD is probably the best one out of the 4 this year!

1 hour ago, Lucky Snake Eyes said:

From what we've been shown it's a bunch of daemons. Daemonettes, bloodletters, bloodhounds, fiends, keeper of secrets and a bloodthirster i believe.

It's rather Karanak and a Herald with harp, greater daemons are extremely unlikely in a box-set of any kind.

What is expected solely on the information given from GW (video and artworks):

• Khorne -> 10 Bloodletters, 5 Hounds, 3 Bloodcrushers, Karanak
  • Slaanesh -> 10 Daemonettes, 5 Seekers, 3 Fiends, new Herald

5 minutes ago, Lucky Snake Eyes said:

anks for clarifying, In the brief video i thought it might have been a keeper, since the GW keeper is trash I wouldn't be surprised if it got a new model to look more like the FW model.

Indeed but as a major chaos god, it is a big box. It won't be in bundle box. Slanesh is reworked. We will probably see several new boxes, one is the bundle wrath and rapture. Then separate new fiends,  heralds etc...

6 hours ago, GeneralZero said:

I'm thinking about the content of the box, unit by unit. What do you think guys, about each one?

- warriors

- knights

- both versions of chariot?

- manticore?

Also,  what is best: wizard or lord on the manticore?

Warriors are wonderful! I find them to be a very cost efficient mirror to liberators. I like to run shield with mark of tzeench for extra tanking or two weapons with nurgle for rerolling 1s for hits and wound. Also keep in mind that the aspiring champions are the same model as exalted heroes so there's some options for making heroes out of some of those warriors.

Knights aren't that great as a hammer but are sturdy and can swamp down a battleline or reinforce a flank. 

Go with gorebeast chariot. always go gorebeast. I like slaanesh gorebeasts as rerolling 1s on charges makes it easier to get off it's charge based abilities. It's a little squishy but for 100pts can get some decent work done.

The warshrine is a must have as it can turn reroll 1s into reroll fails and that 6+ wound negation has saved me some pain.

I don't personally own a manticore (but it sure as ****** is on the christmas list) it seems the lord is better than the sorcerer due to mark of the all favoured turning it into a killing machine. Personally I'd say if you want a sorcerer then run a sorcerer on foot. 

@Lucky Snake Eyesthank you.

In fact, if I read you correctly, For  a 2000points list, 2 battleforce boxes is almost the full list. But I dunno if I'll keep the 2nd Shrine.

Do you think that it is better to sell the warshrine to get some other options?

What do you think to compliment this army (lets say 2 baxes with only one shrine)? I'll put then 2 lords on manticore and all the battlelines.

- Prince daemon?

- varanguaards?

- a big chaos miniature( Lord of change, magotkin, khorne big daemon....)

- in a future, I'll take the Archaon but ....later (love that miniature)

- Is there some ranged option? (like a gorgon or something else....)

42 minutes ago, GeneralZero said:

@Lucky Snake Eyesthank you.

In fact, if I read you correctly, For  a 2000points list, 2 battleforce boxes is almost the full list. But I dunno if I'll keep the 2nd Shrine.

Do you think that it is better to sell the warshrine to get some other options?

What do you think to compliment this army (lets say 2 baxes with only one shrine)? I'll put then 2 lords on manticore and all the battlelines.

- Prince daemon?

- varanguaards?

- a big chaos miniature( Lord of change, magotkin, khorne big daemon....)

- in a future, I'll take the Archaon but ....later (love that miniature)

- Is there some ranged option? (like a gorgon or something else....)

Marauder horsemen are our only ranged option and are pretty good at killing fodder units like skeletons.

Never used varanguard but daemon princes can be nasty, especially with the mark of the all favoured so that they become casters and killing achines.

The greater daemons don't really synergize well and eat up ally points.

Archaon can't join Slaves to darkness as he doesn't have the keyword and is too expensive to be taken as an ally (it makes no sense i know but that's gw logic for you)

16 minutes ago, GeneralZero said:

What's about the mamuth? I'd love to put a mumak in place of the missing mamuth. It'd be a superb center piece. It has the keyword and is a behemot, not too expensive either. Has someone tried it? 

I haven't tried it myself but I've fought it, killed it pretty easy with some marauder horsemen, got lucky with some javelines paired with the mammoths low save and a well rolled charge.

Archived