Ostensibly about D&D but still of interest I think...

JPjr

Interesting. 

Another thing that seems to have developed from digitizing these games and widening local communities out to be international communities is a homogenization of the game.  When I was playing D&D in the late 80s and the only tools you really had were a handful of source books and a paper character sheet, the way I played was very different from even the way my buddy's older brother played with his group, let alone other groups around the world.  But by now, with these standardized tools available, it seems like people play in a much more similar way across the board.

I'd imagine it is the same with Warhammer too.  There are always outliers with fistfuls of houserules, but I think they are fewer and more far between than they used to be back when we barely even knew all those other groups were even out there, let alone exactly what they are doing.

6 hours ago, JPjr said:

article on the inherent DIY nature of RPGs butting up against the realities of large corporate interests... 

https://medium.com/s/powertrip/inside-the-power-struggle-for-dungeons-dragons-soul-e17635f7c527

certainly something that long time fans of GW games will have come across several times.

Legalese ruins everything. That statement just sums up why I think The 9th Age isn’t a good product (great game, just a strange bunch of nerds running it behind the scenes)

Good read.

I'm a big believer in respecting the copyright of the game if you want to play it.    Sales make the manufacturer want to keep the game alive.   IP theft adds up.   If 8th ed WFB was selling well we wouldn't have seen the end of the WFB line and launch the AoS model.    That may be a good thing from the perspective of those of us here, but it wasn't to  many WFB gamers.   

You don't have to choose to play something if the cost seems excessive for what you get.

Archived