Hello from a newbie

Dagupan_john

Hi Everyone My name is John and i am a complete  newbie to warhammer me and my girlfriend started just 5 days ago and i mainly wanted to start collecting so I can paint but the idea of playing does sound fun. I have actually started to paint all ready and I have painted half of my seraphon starter kit i have a few questions to begin with I want to play open play or matched play with my girlfriend and brother who have also got starter kits (cannibal courts and nurgle) but i am confused with the battalion sizes i have 12 warriors and 8 saurus knights but i have read that you only need 10 warriors and 5 knights ? Is this correct or would it even matter when playing open play

Hello there and welcome to AoS and Warhammer! General thing to remember is to have fun. Since you are just starting off take things slow and get used to playing the game. 

To answer your questions though, in open play things tend to be more lax in the specifics. This is great for newer players so they can just play with what they have. In matched play however is when the more detailed rules start to get used. As you said certain units require a minimum amount of units in order for them to be fielded to their full effectiveness, but this only applies to matched play. Why the Seraphon starter box has such an odd number of units I am not sure. 

18 hours ago, CaptainSoup said:

Hello there and welcome to AoS and Warhammer! General thing to remember is to have fun. Since you are just starting off take things slow and get used to playing the game. 

To answer your questions though, in open play things tend to be more lax in the specifics. This is great for newer players so they can just play with what they have. In matched play however is when the more detailed rules start to get used. As you said certain units require a minimum amount of units in order for them to be fielded to their full effectiveness, but this only applies to matched play. Why the Seraphon starter box has such an odd number of units I am not sure. 

Thank you for the answer i have been using the website warscroll builder and will just follow what it tells me its very useful my small group will just play open play for the beginning then try matched play but to be honest with you i am having so much fun painting I am content for now. I will post up pics of my finished army soon as i am about to start painting my Knights after finishing my warriors, carno and scar vet. 

Just now, Skreech Verminking said:

Well you could also take the odd number of models you have and build different kind of hero’s with them.

I am trying to figure this out as i have the old blood arms, legs head and half of the torso the tail is missing is it still possible to build an old blood out of spare parts ?

Archived