Gaming Tables

DINOSTAR

I designed and commissioned this piece of furniture for my "warhammer room" recently.  I stole the gaming lip idea from card tables and from the "Table of Ultimate Gaming" but decided to go with a design I thought was a little more aesthetic for our home!  I went to the warhammer citadel this weekend in Grapvine, Texas (flew down there for the warhammer new player expo) and saw that they had a few "Table of Ultimate Gaming" setup, and I'm glad I went with a furniture maker because the wood quality on those tables is less than I'd imagined when considering it.  We used an Alder for the wood and had stained two different colors.  I made it 42" tall so I wouldn't have to bend too much (I have a bad back), which is really tall.  My wife might need a stepping stool!  Other than that, there's not much else to change- the table surface fits the 6x4 play mats perfectly! 

I'll be getting a bunch of terrain for it soon, but in the meantime (besides, of course, showing it off), I wanted to see other people's gaming tables- whether it's fine woodworking, cool terrain, modeled ground etc to help give me some ideas or just to stare at!

43736354_10218229946886919_7304782030875656192_n.jpg

44798461_10218229947006922_2584728812134596608_n.jpg

44778761_10218229948326955_2206629513784197120_n.jpg

44877132_10218229947326930_361867311268757504_n.jpg

44756315_10218229947566936_8739090186190716928_n.jpg

Edited by DINOSTAR
  • Like 15
  • LOVE IT! 3

4 minutes ago, DINOSTAR said:

I designed and commissioned this piece of furniture for my "warhammer room" recently.  I stole the gaming lip idea from card tables and from the "Table of Ultimate Gaming" but decided to go with a design I thought was a little more aesthetic for our home!  I went to the warhammer citadel this weekend in Grapvine, Texas (flew down there for the warhammer new player expo) and saw that they had a few "Table of Ultimate Gaming" setup, and I'm glad I went this way because the wood quality is much finer.  We used an Alder for the wood and had stained two different colors.  I made it 42" tall so I wouldn't have to bend too much (have a bad back). Other than that, it fits the 6x4 playing area perfectly! 

I'll be getting a bunch of terrain for it soon, but in the meantime (besides, of course, showing it off), I wanted to see other people's gaming tables- whether it's fine woodworking, cool terrain, modeled ground etc to help give me some ideas or just to stare at!

43736354_10218229946886919_7304782030875656192_n.jpg

44798461_10218229947006922_2584728812134596608_n.jpg

44778761_10218229948326955_2206629513784197120_n.jpg

44877132_10218229947326930_361867311268757504_n.jpg

44756315_10218229947566936_8739090186190716928_n.jpg

That’s a real beauty you have hear.

• Like 2

That's the classic "fencer's move" style. A classic, refined, if somewhat old now standard of moving things. These days reserved only for those with pose and grace and style (thus defeating many of your standard nerds/geeks and the warrior giants that tend to dominate wargames*). 

Great looking table and really nice choice of wood for finish and colour. The raised lip around the edge makes great sense for a gaming table and it matches with your display cabinet. Looking forward to seeing it decked out with terrain and models!

*I'm serious it seems every other gamer is often 6ft tall!

• 2 weeks later...

I purchased the terrain from someone who hand makes them.  There's an issue with the paint quality currently that I'm dealing with, and the guy is supposedly remaking them, though I haven't heard back in a few days.  I don't want to besmirch or praise the maker until the issue is resolved, so that I can give appropriate feedback, so I'll hold off on providing the name of said enterprise until then.  I love the design of it though-  it's 3d printed and then painted and flocked by hand. It's just that some of it isn't painted yet!  Hopefully it'll look even better soon.  I also have the whole of "Hagglethorn Hollow" pledged on kickstarter, so that should help further flesh it out.  Could be waiting a year on that though. 

9 hours ago, DINOSTAR said:

I purchased the terrain from someone who hand makes them.  There's an issue with the paint quality currently that I'm dealing with, and the guy is supposedly remaking them, though I haven't heard back in a few days.  I don't want to besmirch or praise the maker until the issue is resolved, so that I can give appropriate feedback, so I'll hold off on providing the name of said enterprise until then.  I love the design of it though-  it's 3d printed and then painted and flocked by hand. It's just that some of it isn't painted yet!  Hopefully it'll look even better soon.  I also have the whole of "Hagglethorn Hollow" pledged on kickstarter, so that should help further flesh it out.  Could be waiting a year on that though. 

I'm not jealous.  Not at all...

Honest :D

@DINOSTAR Looks incredible! I also love the display case. The whole room looks very neat and classy. Now you just need some expensive framed pieces of art from https://warhammerart.com/ to complete the room. lol And Props to your wife for allowing you a whole room for your hobby. 

How did you design the table? Are you an architect/engineer/carpenter or did you use some program to help? Was it a National gaming table company that built it or a local company? Also, why does the gaming table look so deep? Is there storage underneath the gaming surface?

I took my design to a local custom furniture shop.  I'm not an architect but my undergraduate degree is in illustration, so I just drew it up in color, slapped the measurements I wanted on there and then we discussed how to make it happen.  It was definitely not inexpensive,  but I'm incredibly pleased with the quality of it, across the board.   The man who did the actual carpentry never quite understood what it was for, but I sent him the above photos too, so he could see for himself.  There is a drawer, but the bottom isn't enclosed; it's like a 9" skirt and it just makes the table look more robust as well as adding an area to put that second wood tone on for aesthetic reasons.    

• 1 year later...

Going to update this because it's a year later and even though I STILL don't have my kickstarter "Hagglethorn Hollow" (which will be very bad-ass and gaming table related) I HAVE added two original paintings to dress up the room.  I also added shelves into the closet to hold even more models, but I suppose that's a picture for the collection thread instead!  

I had the goblin painting ("Moon Hunters") commissioned from a superb artist named Bill Carman but the only information he was given was "goblins and the bad moon."  I was interested in what someone who doesn't play would come up with!  The other picture wasn't commissioned and is less warhammer related obviously, but I still want to show it off because it's in the room, plus we were able to procure the original painting from Scott C, another one of my favorite artists.  

I'll be back when Hagglethorn Hollow finally gets here!

IMG-0555.jpg

IMG-0326.JPG

IMG-0568.JPG

Edited by DINOSTAR
  • Like 7