What would be your "easy to transport" army?

Hannibal

Hi all,

because there is no gaming mate next to me who I can regularly meet for a game I have to drive at least 1 hour to get to a LGS in which I can play AoS. I also like to go to tournaments in the near future but these are also far away, some several hours of travelling needed.

Right now I´m in the process of finishing my 3rd Great Unclean One, but these models can´t be labeled "easy to transport". As much as I like my 3 GUO based Nurgle collection, I hate to transport the models. Fortunately there are lots of 40k players in my area, meaning I regularly meet for some games at my home => no transportation issues when it come to 40k.

But AoS is a whole different story as written above. Therefore I like to paint an AoS army that is easy to transport, yet offers some tactical flexibility. That´s where I need your opinions. What would be your "easy to transport"* army?

*Sidenote: with easy to transport I mean an army that fits into one GW army case. Yes, it´s a tough call, but I like to achieve that goal. Points should be at least 1250 up to 2000.

Thanks in advance

HTG

I have 2 medium-sized GW army cases and can safely transport a shooty stormcast list of 1k in one case.

The list has 28 models, all infantry; no wings, cavalry, or centerpiece models. A big box should carry 2k easy.

I regret buying the GW cases as they are awkwardly shaped, way overpriced, and the coarse foam they use can rub paint off models with constant use. 

My suggestion; magnetize your bases and either make a custom box or buy a magnetized case. When you don't need foam, the definition of what is "easy to transport" gets much more broad in my opinion.

I think Ironjawz would fall into the easy to transport army category. Everything is very stocky, and fits firmly on its base. Low model count if your going with brutes, and maw crusher is the most solid of the centre piece models in my opinion. If you want an army where you can likely transport the whole range, that'd be my suggestion. 

Only draw back would be the tactical complexity, as usually Ironjawz MO is to charge and crush whatever you point them at. Especially a brutes force. Still, not a bad option if that's you flavor!

Thanks for all your replies, guys.

Well, SC seems to be the short answer, then. But what about some pure infantry Kharadrons or a minotaur based Beasts of Chaos army? Another thing I thought about is a Putrid Blightking heavy Magotkin of Nurgle army.

Regarding Ironjawz: is the Mawkrusha needed for that enhanced Waagh-ability?

1 hour ago, Hannibal said:

Regarding Ironjawz: is the Mawkrusha needed for that enhanced Waagh-ability?

Totally not needed.  Foot bosses work great.  I frequently leave my Krusha at home.  

If you really need a big behemoth, the Rogue Idol is a good substitute, and is physically a durable model

For beasts of chaos, I have my army all in one large GW case. 60 gors, 30 bestigors, 3 heros, 3 spawn, ghorgon, 6 bullgors, 30 ungor raiders, the herdstone model and still space for stuff.

For my guard army its similarly fits in a large case, but I have a small box in a backpack to carry my oversized hellhammer tank. I think that would work for any army with a large centre piece.

19 hours ago, Waiyuren said:

I have 2 medium-sized GW army cases and can safely transport a shooty stormcast list of 1k in one case.

The list has 28 models, all infantry; no wings, cavalry, or centerpiece models. A big box should carry 2k easy.

I regret buying the GW cases as they are awkwardly shaped, way overpriced, and the coarse foam they use can rub paint off models with constant use. 

My suggestion; magnetize your bases and either make a custom box or buy a magnetized case. When you don't need foam, the definition of what is "easy to transport" gets much more broad in my opinion.

agree. I use one of the GW crusade cases (the "big" one) and I'm not a fan. Only got it as I nabbed it 2nd hand from a LGS employee a week after he'd bought it for cheap. 

The real plan is I have a 1520 bag coming from Battlefoam with the Magnarack loadouts. Should be able to fit absolutely anything, just need to magnetise all the bases.

I'll either move the GW case on to a friend, or maybe use it as a dedicated Underworlds case actually. Should be big enough to store all the warbands for a good while.

Magnetise the bases and get metal racking instead of foam transport.   Multiple brands available at different price/quality points (I won't do links, not sure if allowed,but quick google search will find them).

If transporting via plane, make sure use larger than minimum magnets to make sure they stick, and add extra packing around them as precaution from any overzealous baggage handlers.  

14 hours ago, JakeAlmighty said:

The real plan is I have a 1520 bag coming from Battlefoam with the Magnarack loadouts. Should be able to fit absolutely anything, just need to magnetise all the bases.

I picked up a pack 432 magna rack this year and can comfortably fit in 2000 point Legion army.  The biggest pain is Neferata, but I've solved that by sliding a baking sheet down the back and putting her sideways.

Disadvantage is the shelves are fixed (still quicker removing models than foam) and weighs a ton as the case is reinforced.

7 hours ago, RuneBrush said:

I picked up a pack 432 magna rack this year and can comfortably fit in 2000 point Legion army.  The biggest pain is Neferata, but I've solved that by sliding a baking sheet down the back and putting her sideways.

Disadvantage is the shelves are fixed (still quicker removing models than foam) and weighs a ton as the case is reinforced.

smart with the cookie sheet down the back! I will probably have to do similar on the 1520XL unless there's somehow vertical room in there for a standing up Nagash. (I doubt it)

22 hours ago, RuneBrush said:

I agree. I have a 432 bag and used to have foam in it. Could not fit in my army, no chance. 

Now I switched to magna racks and its easy. For normal 2000games I dont even remove the extra models that I have so I usally end up bringing 2500 points maybe. I normaly also put one thin foam sheet in the bottom to hold stuff like objective markers, glue, a laser pointer, special dice and so on in the bottom. 

Last time I played I went with an extreme army and had, with just 2 levels of racks not 3...

4 dragons
60 infantry models

No problem. 

Its really good.  Its the beast hobby investment I have ever done. 

If I did not want the whole setup or I had some models that could not be magnitised easy, like some vehicles in 40k, I would still just get one plate (or make one) and then fill the bag maybe 1/2 to 2/3 with foam and finish with a plate on top to put infantry on. 

• 3 months later...
1 hour ago, CrashStacy said:

What do you use to carry your KVISSLE?

In Germany, you can get a sewing machine case where it sits perfectly in - not sure how useful that is for people outside Germany, though.

https://www.amazon.de/gp/product/B017RCAHNS/

Oh, and KVISSLE fits pretty well into a KALLAX, which any self-respecting gamer should have in his/her home anyway. ;)

Skaven. Varnish the hell out of them and carry them around in a bucket.

More seriously, magnetize your stuff. As has been said in this thread magnets are wonderful. I have 2 GUOs and just transport my whole army in a plastic bin with a sheet of tin glue to the bottom. Zero problems.

1 hour ago, Forrix said:

Skaven. Varnish the hell out of them and carry them around in a bucket.

More seriously, magnetize your stuff. As has been said in this thread magnets are wonderful. I have 2 GUOs and just transport my whole army in a plastic bin with a sheet of tin glue to the bottom. Zero problems.

Magnets are the best option, but they do have some issues. They work great with most plastics (i.e. pretty much all of GW's recent stuff), but have issues with top-heavy miniatures. These are typically either resin or pewter. You also have to be aware that dropping them is very bad (very very bad). I've done it one time, and will now only carry one box at a time. I tell myself it's okay to make multiple trips to/from the car.

With that said, I can mostly fit an entire army in one Really Useful Box (I think it's this one I use http://www.reallyusefulproducts.co.uk/usa/html/onlineshop/rub/b50_0litre.php).

Archived