AoS Xmas Battleforce Box theories

With a little less than a month to when GW posted about their xmas Battleforce boxes last year ( Nov. 19), I thought putting this up to see what everyone's thoughts/wants/rumours are about the upcoming Battleforce boxes for 2018 would be interesting. I feel this has already been touched on in the AoS rumor thread but as I feel there are no real concrete 'rumors' this would be more fun. ( By all means if you know otherwise, please share! ) 

So to start I believe I will assume they will stick with the 4 boxes for AoS and 4 for 40k, as they have currently done each xmas to date. Mainly focusing on AoS here but I don't follow 40k very closely so if you do please feel free to let loose.

So with Soul Wars this year I think it would be silly not to start with a Sacrosanct box and a Nighthaunt box. ( just as the first xmas after AoS dropped with SE vs. Khorne, there was a SE one and a Khorne one) The Nighthaunt I could see going with Lady Olynder, banshees, Harridans and making a grieving/widowed-esqe battalion. With these 2 boxes though I have no idea how all these new 'easy to build' models will come into play with these boxes. 

So that leaves us with 2 open slots if they follow suit to previous years as previously stated ( heck they could do 6 boxes this year ?

Idoneth Deepkin

Daughters of Khaine

Maggotkin

Beasts of Chaos

With the Idoneth and Daughters, they have done 2 'Order' boxes before ( Sylvaneth with the first time around ) so I could totally see one but that's a tough choice... especially on the bestsellers page being filled with pretty much nothing but these 2 factions. 

I personally hope there is a Maggotkin one but I could see a Deathguard box for 40k so this might get passed over. I mean really what could you put in this box, 2 units of blightkings, Maggothlord, Lord of Plagues/Blights, and 2 Pusgoyle blightlords... 

Beasts of Chaos just because they recently got revamped. Maybe with the Herdstone included in the box?

This also leaves out a Destruction faction but Death got left out of the first round so I don't really know if this is a big factor or not on GW's end.

I mean heck, if all the rumors follow through we could be looking at Moonclan grots/Darkoath/Slaanesh Battleforce boxes for 2019!

Let me know what you think!

• Replies 130
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I totally agree with those :

23 minutes ago, Heer_Wolffgang said:

Idoneth Deepkin

Daughters of Khaine

Maggotkin

On the remaining one i'm really puzzled.

I'm thinking Ether some old stormcasts kits, or maybe some Death stuff who could add some more diversity.

But there is one thing that I'm sure : can't wait to discover how we'll be spoilt this year!

I truly hope they don't do Sacrosanct or Nighthaunt. They have PILES of box sets already. 2 aelves might be weird, but DoK and Idoneth have sold super well. Nurgle is an easy include. The 4th is tricky. I'd love to see Destruction get one, but doubt it. And Death doesn't have many unique options that haven't been done (FEC or Nighthaunt...)

But I would LOVE a complete blindside. A faction no one sees coming and gets people stoked (maybe too much...?) for a release. Moonclan had too much resin to fill out a box. I am iffy to repeat another Order or Chaos one, though Skaven would be solid.

My choices would be...

Idoneth (Thrall based) 

Daughters (not snake heavy to make witches cheaper)

Nurgle (mortal heavy)

Obviously Lion Rangers. (In actuality Skaven or Bonesplitters)

One reason Idoneth and Daughters might get more attention is that they currently lack a Getting Started box each. So they might get a Christmas bundle to cover that; or GW might release them Getting Started boxes and give big Christmas bundles to others. 

As they are both selling strong that makes them prime contenders for a big bundle deal since there's a clear active and interested market in both ranges. 

DoK or Idoneth to me seem obvious. Maybe both.  

Nurgle - On one hand this is the pattern, Tzeench had battletome and then battleforce.  On the other hand, Nurgle got blightwar, also featured in latest 40k starter set, A blood bowl team, and KT rogue trader.  A battleforce box would be a lot of nurgle. 

Stormcast or Nighthaunt -hopefully the 3 starter sets, shadespire warbands, battletomes, and all the multipart kits were enough.  I wouldn't be surprised if it happened though. 

Other armies, I look at what they have gotten in the last few years, if they've already got a box, probably not gonna get another, although most have something so it's possible we wrap around. 
Just going down all sufficiently sized factions (battletome / sc box / etc):

Seraphon - Had the thunderbeast box, maybe a Saurus themed box would work
KO - 2017 battleforce
Sylvaneth - 2016 battleforce
Fyreslayers - Good option

Khorne - multiple SC boxes, 2016 Battleforce, not happening. 
Tzeentch - 2017 battleforce 
Slaves to Darkness - Had Deathtide box. Old models, suspected revamp w/Dark Oath, not likely?
Slaneesh - Expected Box set coming, Battletome, new kits.  Pattern for next year Battleforce. 
Skaven - Pestilens had a big box already.  Other skaven possible, even though no battletome. 
Beasts of Chaos - Very possible

LoN - 2017 battleforce
FEC - Ghoulish Host box previously. 

BCR  - Had Icewind Assault already.
Ironjawz - 2016 Battleforce
Moonclan - Most kits being replaced soon (probably) - Not a good candidate this year, but next year would fit pattern
Bonesplitters - Good candidate? What big model though...
GA Destruction - Could be interesting to have a mixed box.. 

5 minutes ago, sorokyl said:

Bonesplitters - Good candidate? What big model though...

A good call. Though I don´t think that a big model is mandatory, because Tzeentch didn´t include one either. The same with different SCE and Bloodbound boxes.

Though I think that Idoneth is a strong contender.

Daughters of Khaine and/or Idoneth Deepkin is a given i think. Other than that, obvious choices are Sacrosanct, Nighthaunt and Maggotkin but i hope for something different like... Fyreslayers. Even though they have a SC box, they are still a very expensive army to collect and a 50% in savings would help a lot. 

45 minutes ago, Tiger said:

I hope I don't see Fyreslayers. I probably wouldn't have been able to resist it. 

I would like to imagine their box would just be 100+ Vulkites and maybe a few Hearthguard. It would have the box, "This is all you need so you might as well get them all bundled" lol.

I wonder if they will bring back the box sets from last year. Is that a thing GW usually does?

20 minutes ago, Heer_Wolffgang said:

Not that I'm aware of. Although they keep them until they have "sold out" as the SE Vanguard are still an online exclusive from last year and the Death Faction one hung on for a while too. The Khorne one from the first time round was around for a while too... 

I figured that was the case but I still kinda hoped they would stock them back up in limited quantity at least. That Death box set was spooky on point even for my dry old bones! Maybe if they release a nighthaunt box set it can just as good. 

- Order: either Stromcast Eternals or Daughters of Khaine

- Chaos: Daemons of Tzeentch (could also be a mixed 40K battleforce) 

- Death: Nighthaunt

- Destruction: I dont' know. 

Then, I am not sure whether GW will continue with the 4 AOS and 4 40K battleforces pattern: as far as I understood, there will be terrains and paints bundles, the 40K Warhammer quest is expected by November, like the Khorne/Slaanesh box set, (should be Daemons, i.e. both for AOS and 40K) and the Ynnari box set also this year (maybe withe Ynnari Codex too). If you add some new Kill Team (new teams, new Kill Zones, …), some stuff for Necromunda, Bloodbowl and Underworlds, it might be more than enough for Christmas…

Just hope for some surprises ...

8 minutes ago, CaptainSoup said:

I figured that was the case but I still kinda hoped they would stock them back up in limited quantity at least. That Death box set was spooky on point even for my dry old bones! Maybe if they release a nighthaunt box set it can just as good. 

I bought the Death box 3 weeks ago in a GW store :). 

1 hour ago, PJetski said:

They would never make a boxed bundle with so many useful models. If the Idoneth get a battleforce box it's going to have 2 boxes of Reavers

2x Reavers, 2x Allopex, 1 thralls and Lotann plus Soulreaver ?

seriuosly bow:

1x Eel, 1 Eidolon, 2 Reavers, 1 Allopex

(my guess)

for DoK:

Cauldron, 2 Melusai, 2 Witches, 1-2 Khinerai

Last Year: SC:Vanguard, Death GA, Tzeentch, and KO.

Two Years: SC, Khorne BB, Ironjawz, Sylvaneth

Note that last year had the SCvNurgle Box (Looked at it his morning and still forgot the name), and they still released Vanguard. At this point getting another SC Box is more likely than not getting one.

Nurgle has had 2-3 big boxes in the past year or so. Considering they keep getting coverage, I think they are popular enough to get a box as well.

That leaves two spots for Idoneth, Daughters, Nighthaunt, Beasts, and Nagash.

Two Order boxes are the norm, and since one is taken (SCE), the other is a toss up. Both will probably get SC boxes around spring too.

They kinda already did Nagash, so not likely again. 

There’s a lot of room for Nighthaunt models that haven’t been a part of a released set yet. So that’s my #4 guess.

SC:Sancrosanct, Nurgle, Nighthaunt, and either Daughters or Idoneth.

Archived