Events UK: Blood and Glory

Ben

23 hours ago, Ben said:

Thanks for all the feedback so far.

The only thing I didn't think was super awesome all weekend was the 500 on the Friday night. At 45 minutes each game it was so rushed I didn't have time to enjoy them. There was no downtime in between to pause.

I'm not sure how you'd fix this @Benif you want to avoid it running really late. Maybe ditch it in favour of seminars or get some doubles events on the go.

Or you could put on daft things like AoS hero racing.

It's obviously a smaller crowd on the Friday night, it'd be nice to get a bit of a party atmosphere going. 

As I said in person very well done to all the organisers, Duncan, Rufio, Eddie and the wider GW Events team. Great to meet some of you for the first time.

The venue is very good, well located and accessible by train+walking. Good range of food and drink in the area. Perhaps add a short list of what's nearby.

The only thing I didn't think was super awesome all weekend was the 500 on the Friday night. At 45 minutes each game it was so rushed I didn't have time to enjoy them. There was no downtime in between to pause.

Another 10 minutes between games would have been great.

1 hour ago, MrCharisma said:

@Ben do you know who battled on the live stream in Game 1, and if they are both on the forum?

I'm really interested in once of the players who talked to GW post-match and shared his battle plan on a page template which had his ideal deployment for the mission, and notes. 

It was @Ben Johnsonvs @Painted by G. The one with the plans was @Painted by G. Super nerdy preparation! 

• Like 1

29 minutes ago, AAUBURGER said:

Any place we can see the lists?

You can see the top 5 on the Warhammer Community site here: https://www.warhammer-community.com/2016/11/29/top-5-lists-from-blood-glory/

There's also a writeup from Ben Johnson here: https://www.warhammer-community.com/2016/12/02/blood-glory-the-winner/

I'm very happy seeing these lists. A decent variety in armies, models, and list archetypes. 

• Like 2

8 hours ago, hobgoblinclub said:

It was @Ben Johnsonvs @Painted by G. The one with the plans was @Painted by G. Super nerdy preparation! 

That's my type of prep! I don't get to play too often so using my prep time puts me in a better position for matches that I'm still unfamiliar with. I've even created my own vlookup table with all of my rules that puts them into the battle phase order, so I never miss an ability. 

21 hours ago, Requizen said:

You can see the top 5 on the Warhammer Community site here: https://www.warhammer-community.com/2016/11/29/top-5-lists-from-blood-glory/

There's also a writeup from Ben Johnson here: https://www.warhammer-community.com/2016/12/02/blood-glory-the-winner/

I'm very happy seeing these lists. A decent variety in armies, models, and list archetypes. 

Thank you very much! :)

One small suggestion on the scoring system would be to make a minor loss and a draw worth a small amount of points (the major loss can still be worth zero). I'm aware that a draw is very rare. 

While I preferred your system to the 20-0 scoring system from Clash Comp (which is slightly too complicated/too many objectives), the advantage it does have is that even if you've lost the game during deployment (which is probably most games even if you don't realise it until much later) and you do in fact realise this by the end of battleround one or even in the very first hero phase, there's still an incentive to try to limit the outcome to a minor loss (or grab minor objectives in Clash) - you've still got something to play for.

I should add that none of my games at Blood & Glory in the main event were like this - all of them were cliff hangers. 

I suppose one counter argument is that this would make the Take & Hold battleplan even more likely to end in a minor victory/minor loss than it is already. 

Edited by Nico

• 4 weeks later...