Events UK: Blood and Glory

Ben

I'll be updating the entry list again this weekend.  We are currently hovering around 75 players.  It would be great if we could get up to 100 at least.  We have room to get 130 in if demand is high enough.  

Games Workshop have announced on their facebook page that they are supporting the event, more info on this in the coming weeks. 

I've just placed an order with Frontline Gaming to supply game mats for all tables at the event.

Official hashtag is #BLOODANDGLORY 

• Like 4

2. We won't be using the terrain warscroll rules, but if they have a different warscroll then they are a different type of terrain.  So you could bring 5 different 'buildings' assuming that they have different war scrolls (witch fate tor, skullvayne manse, watchtower.....) 
Just to clarify - can you still summon Balewind Vortices (not scenery on the board before deployment)? I know that you've used them in the recent past at Warlords and now GW is releasing the models for sale again - fingers crossed for an updated Warscroll. 

Hi Ben
Please reply to Nico's query and please say no [emoji6]
He is becoming insufferable in the club whatsapp chat
We need your swift and decisive help [emoji4]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
  • Like 1

Thanks for the update Ben.
Can I have a further clarification on the balewind vortex rules please.
As it does not follow the generic scenery rules can you confirm that it does not confer +1 save to the wizard as the warscroll specific rules do not state this.
Thanks
Rob.

Of course it does.  Its a terrain piece.  Is there a rule i'm missing? 

When playing specific terrain rules they tell you whether you receive cover or not, for example the chapel, deathknell watch, watch tower, witchfate tor specifically state you get cover if attacked. The others do not.

889ba179886ac271cadd124965296701.jpg
And in addition to what I have said above the FAQ states you either follow the rules of the warscroll or use the rules for scenery in the rules
Therefore if it doesn't say gives cover (as at least 5 warscrolls state) then it doesn't give cover.

I'm going to go with that you do get the +1 to save for all scenery pieces.  

Terrain Features and Scenery rules are separate things.  Cover just relies on it being a terrain feature.  Cover is granted for a terrain feature regardless of which 'scenery rules' it ends up with.

The 4 pages of rules uses 'Terrain feature' and 'Scenery' as interchangeable terms in the Battlefield and Mysterious Landscapes sections and war scrolls with the 'Scenery' keyword are refers to as scenery are terrain features too. 

I've been asked if rules that let you 'move as if it were the movement phase' and similar actions are allowed full scope as if it was the actual movement phase.  The answer is no.  

E.G. A Sylvaneth unit that has the ability to move in the hero phase (as if it were the movement phase) would be allowed to make a move.  

It WOULD NOT be allowed to walk the hidden paths, or to transport to the table from being deployed off the table.  These would both require it to be the actual movement phase, not just making a move as if it were.

I've been asked if rules that let you 'move as if it were the movement phase' and similar actions are allowed full scope as if it was the actual movement phase.  The answer is no.  

E.G. A Sylvaneth unit that has the ability to move in the hero phase (as if it were the movement phase) would be allowed to make a move.  

It WOULD NOT be allowed to walk the hidden paths, or to transport to the table from being deployed off the table.  These would both require it to be the actual movement phase, not just making a move as if it were.

This needs to be in red capital letters for anyone bringing Sylvaneth alpha strike lists. Is this something that GW are likely to clarify in an FAQ before the Grand Tournament - because a lot of people (including me) will adjust their buying decisions for that army accordingly (i.e. go for the Dreadwood Wargrove)? Spirit of Durthu is not worth anywhere near 400 points (plus the cost of a formation) on that basis. 

What is the ruling for Battalion special rules and Escalation where your units are split up?

Do the units still get the bonuses for being a part of the Battalion despite it all not being deployed from the start?

Example Ironfist, would I still get the bonus movement even if all the units from the Battalion isn't on the board from the off?
  • Like 1

On 11/9/2016 at 2:10 PM, Ben said:

Hey @Ben, would you care to clarify whether you have any indication this reflects GW's view, or whether it's your working interpretation for Blood and Glory? I tried asking this question at the official AoS Fb page quite a while back but didn't get a reply. The topic has been discussed extensively at "Let's Chat Sylvaneth." The working interpretation among many came to the opposite conclusion, but I think we were all clear it was an interpretation and we lacked 100% clarity on how to handle it.

For reference, attached is one aspect of the interpretation. As @Mirage8112 noted, expanding on the attachment:

So, you set up the entire battalion (some on the board, some in the "hidden enclaves") and you can still use the battalion's special rules. Since the rules for the Deadwood Wargrove (and Free Spirits battalion) can still be used per the FAQ, you can "use" the rules to deploy them. Placing those units does not preclude you selecting them, or deploying them, since they are essentially "deployed," just not on the board.

It goes without saying it's your event to rule as you wish. I was just curious about the context of the interpretation, since it's a significant ruling. 

For what it's worth, I haven't heard any experienced Sylvaneth player saying the full-scope-of-movement interpretation is OP. It does provide an alphastrike capability for Sylvaneth (a capability that would be greatly lessened without that interpretation), but it doesn't appear imbalanced. It seems clear there are stronger alphastrikes already available, including for Stormcast and Skaven, as well as the movement and hitting potential of Beastclaw Raiders and Tomb Kings.

Anyway, just wanted to share some thoughts. Good luck with final prep this month. Hope you guys have an amazing event! Excited to follow along online. 

Screen Shot 2016-11-11 at 12.04.01 PM.png

Edited by scrubyandwells
  • Like 1

@Ben 

I might also point out that GW has already ruled that move that don't happen in the movement phase are still "moves", and subject to all the rules that apply to movement.

MOVEMENT PHASE

Q: Do pile-in moves and charge moves, or indeed any other sort of move that doesn’t happen in the movement phase, count as a ‘move’ for rules purposes?
A: Yes 

Rules tell us what we can't do, (just because it's "not the movement phase" doesn't mean a unit can move without coherency, or move within 3" of a unit without charging), but also tells what we can do ("i.e. navigate the realm roots or move from the hidden enclaves). If it has to abide by the restrictions shouldn't it also get its benefits?    

As @scrubyandwells already said, it's your even and you're allowed to rule however you wish. But this seems more like a comp than a rules interpretation. 

Edited by Mirage8112

2 hours ago, Mirage8112 said:

As @scrubyandwells already said, it's your even and you're allowed to rule however you wish. But this seems more like a comp than a rules interpretation. 

It's a grey area ruling. I can make a solid argument for both ways.

The question comes down to:

"does doing an action taken out of phase get all the benefits/restrictions as if it was in that phase"

Making a 'Move as if it was the movement phase' does not allow for 'substitute your move for another action like you could if it was the movement phase' 

the FAQ you sited does not answer this.

I went with the way that feels less like pushing a loophole  

navigating the realmroots in the hero phase is not happening! That one is not even grey! Moving in the hero phase does not allowing for skipping to the start of the movement phase to check wyldwoods within 3" before going back to the hero phase to make the move  

3 hours ago, Ben said:

I went with the way that feels less like pushing a loophole  

Totally your prerogative. I think there is more evidence that it works than doesn't, but I understand wanting to make a "safe judgement." 

3 hours ago, Ben said:

navigating the realmroots in the hero phase is not happening! That one is not even grey! Moving in the hero phase does not allowing for skipping to the start of the movement phase to check wyldwoods within 3" before going back to the hero phase to make the move  

With all due respect, I think you've made the wrong call on this one. (Especially as GW has ruled on more than one question that the phrase "As if it were the movement phase" means you can do anything you could during a regular movement phase.) I know it's not the place to debate it, so I won't. And again, it's your event so you can run it anyway you wish. 

Good luck mate! 

-F