Events UK: Blood and Glory

Ben

9 hours ago, Ian R said:

Ben, I will be there.  Wondering whether you think its time to ratchet up to 2,500 points on the table?  2,000 point armies seem small on the table compared to " the old days". 

I struggled to finish in two of the games as it was - mainly due to my opponents horde armies as I can scoot through turns, but 2,500 would make people struggle even more I think.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I've never played in a tournament play and have very limited aos experience (more of a colector and love painting while relaxing in the evenings). Would you recommend the 500/1000 Friday events or just dive straight into the weekend. I do tend to follow forums and see match reports, learn stats of my armies so hopefully won't hold up play. I am keen to branch out into more gaming.

@Booah doing the small events might be worthwhile to learn rules though believe me if you do all the events it's a big weekend and you'll get to Sunday a bit shattered. 

If you can come down on the Friday and try and organise some 2K practice games. That way you can learn your army and the rules for the actual tournament. If you do the 500 and 1k events you'll get comfortable with those units but then get to the 2k list and have even more new units to learn. 

I'd definitely recommend the event though. You'll not be disappointed!

Will there be any significant house rules changes since Alliance that we should know about Ben? I heard from your tweet that it's single list 2,000 points (no sideboard, no second list).

Ticket bought - bunch of the South London Legion are attending.

Cheers.

• Like 1

On 27/09/2016 at 8:49 AM, Booah said:

I've never played in a tournament play and have very limited aos experience (more of a colector and love painting while relaxing in the evenings). Would you recommend the 500/1000 Friday events or just dive straight into the weekend. I do tend to follow forums and see match reports, learn stats of my armies so hopefully won't hold up play. I am keen to branch out into more gaming.

Dive right in.  There is never the 'right' time to do your first event.  You will always wonder if you are ready.  Come along and have fun, lose some games and make some new friends.  It will be a cracking time.

• Like 1

On 27/09/2016 at 8:49 AM, Booah said:

just dive straight into the weekend. I do tend to follow forums and see match reports, learn stats of my armies so hopefully won't hold up play. I am keen to branch out into more gaming.

My first 4-5 events I went to I finished in the bottom 10-20% losing about 4/6 games at each event as I didn't understand what all the other armies could do, but losing games and learning is just part of the journey.

Get stuck in, if you can and have time read through the grand alliance books and learn the warscrolls. Listening to podcast tournament reviews (shameless plug for FaceHammer!) is also a great way to learn about what the current army meta looks like.

Get stuck in, if you can and have time read through the grand alliance books and learn the warscrolls. Listening to podcast tournament reviews (shameless plug for FaceHammer!) is also a great way to learn about what the current army meta looks like.

If you have time, read as many other Warscrolls as you can or at least work out what a typical army for a given faction is likely to do. You could even have a cheat sheet, list of key combos or scary units, so:

Stormcast (Heavy Retributors) - I need to bunker or at least not have my elite troops/heroes chargeable turn one.

Stormcast (Heavy Judicators plus Prosecutors) - powerful shooting, so I need to throw tough bodies onto objective, or sit back and wait outside effective range of 29 on the Judicators until I have a chance of a double turn, then move forward. Look out for Celestant Prime or Stardrake.

Ironjawz - surprisingly fast alpha strike army. I need to snipe heroes like the Warchanter and not stick my men on the 12 inch line where they will be charged first turn (or I may want to bait them and countercharge).

Bloodbound - I need to take out the Bloodsecrators, alternatively I need to do heavy ranged damage to the 40 Blood Reavers first turn before my opponent gets to make them immune to Battleshock. Look out for Wrathmongers.

Fyreslayers - likely to pop up out of the ground. Incredibly tough infantry. Characters are vulnerable by comparison. No magic.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Ben said:

Dive right in.  There is never the 'right' time to do your first event.  You will always wonder if you are ready.  Come along and have fun, lose some games and make some new friends.  It will be a cracking time.

And that is what i am fully intending to do, after years of playing 40k tournaments, time to try something new! Hopefully i managed to get tickets in time, when i bought them last night it said order #126 so not sure?

Draft rules packs added to the first post for all 4 events.

Scoring systems, Skirmish details and Painting document to be added late this week.  

I hope to have all packs finalised by next Wednesday at the latest.  

Ticket sales are going great with arounds 80 places sold.  I will post an entrants list at the weekend.  

• Like 2

21 hours ago, Fallen Angel said:

As a newcomer to the AoS scene, what's the general done thing for bringing terrain?

from playing 40k tournaments I'm used to having terrain provided and all set up.

What do people normally bring?

Normally one or two woods, a hill, a tower, things like a Realmgate or two.

Completely up to you really, the AoS GW scenery is pretty decent idea along with the older fantasy things like Garden of Morr (spread out into different parts) and the Arcane Ruins is great value.

Or take some completely themed things to tie in with your army. I'm hoping to bring Skaven warpstone mining terrain.