Artefact + Hero Megathread

Rekmeister

Beasts of Chaos has one notable choice:

Mutating Gnarlblade from the Gavespawn Greatfray on a Beastlord turns a garbage 90-point hero into an absolute blender, with 6 attacks at 3+ reroll 1's/3+/-1/3. And against a hero he rerolls wound rolls, so you can one-phase a good amount of centre-piece models with this cheap hero, especially if you manage to get them within the Herdstone Aura or pull of one of the two save-debuff/rend-increasing spells.

Skaven Warlord + Hydroskincloak

The hundred point hero naturally has an ability in which after activating in combat, on a 3+ it may immediately move as if it was the movement phase (retreat). The artifact gives "fly" and you get to choose 1 enemy unit you flew across in any movement

A reminder, that a normal move happens in the movement phase, charges are movement, pile-ins are movement. These 3 movements plus the extra "normal move" granted by the warlord's ability is a total of 4 chances. See where I'm going? Albeit, some opportunities might be clunky due to the 6" base move of the hero, especially the first normal move. But, imagine 4d3 MWs just for being clever with your skaven ballet. 

@peasant  You're idea is to make the blob more resilient with two of those ideas when you're talking nurgle? Already pretty resilient with his stats. Why not diversify effects to make him more versatile?

Doesn't hit hard enough? How 'boot Magmaforged Blade? 6+ wound rolls do an additional mortal wounds. If he's your general, give him the nurgle deamon command trait "hulking physique", +1 to wound. And your wheel of corruption can give +1 to wound. Plus any other wound buffs to maximize effect. 

Why not make models do things that they don't normally do, like move really far, especially for a nurgle unit. Just make em' the fastest nurgle in the west with thermal rider cloak (fly, +4 move) and give him the bell weapon loadout (+3 move). You can avoid combats effectively, get great positioning for spells/command abilities and hop over your own units to go headlong into battle. 

Otherwise, go amulet, because its filthy on him. 

1 hour ago, Riff_Raff_Rascal said:

@peasant  You're idea is to make the blob more resilient with two of those ideas when you're talking nurgle? Already pretty resilient with his stats. Why not diversify effects to make him more versatile?

Doesn't hit hard enough? How 'boot Magmaforged Blade? 6+ wound rolls do an additional mortal wounds. If he's your general, give him the nurgle deamon command trait "hulking physique", +1 to wound. And your wheel of corruption can give +1 to wound. Plus any other wound buffs to maximize effect. 

Why not make models do things that they don't normally do, like move really far, especially for a nurgle unit. Just make em' the fastest nurgle in the west with thermal rider cloak (fly, +4 move) and give him the bell weapon loadout (+3 move). You can avoid combats effectively, get great positioning for spells/command abilities and hop over your own units to go headlong into battle. 

Otherwise, go amulet, because its filthy on him. 

i.like How you think

My Freeguild army is from Ghur; their lore/ paint scheme, etc, so I use Gryph Feather Charm on my.... Gryphon. Makes him safe from most attacks that cause extra damage on 6s to hit, like Blightkings etc.  With -1 to hit him, 13 wounds a 3+ save, and a now modified 16" movement, he goes wherever he wants. He's extra safe when he starts the game next to my General who is a General on Warhorse (the Ludwig Schwarzhelm model) with Indomitable, for a 2+ save. Mystic shield that too if you like, but he is not in danger of being first turn sniped. I also keep a Luminark around for mortal wound saves. If I want to hit a unit with a torpedo, I use Rousing Battlecry and Wildform on him, and watch him blow up whatever he hits, and not die in return.

He quickly turns into Optimus Prime, taking everyone on.

Skaven Arch warlock with the doppleganger cloak and the cunning Creature commandtrait.

This guy cannot be attacked in combat at all and when it is time for him to attack, you can instead choose to move 8inches away from the enemy. And should he still be in combat for some reason it will be impossible to attack him at all.

so a 140points Modell which could keep 1000-1500points busy

Or for an Aelve army take a Anointed on Phoenix (doesn’t matter which kind of bird), an archmage and a Luminark of hyish.

Give the Anointed the Ignaxs scales.

and now he’ll have a 4+ save and a 4+ 6+ 6+ after save and against mortal wounds a 4+ 4+ 6+ 6+After save

killing him will be literally a hard task.

Another more skaveni combination would be giving a packmasters the sword of judgement, and buffing him up by 4 other packmasters icluding himself. He’lol be triggering the effect of the artefact now on 2s.

go even further and ad the burning skull endless spells and he will be able to reroll 1s to hit.

the only thing to do now is to say good by to your foes hero’s, since he will be suffering in afferage 14mortal wounds per combat phase 

6 hours ago, Skreech Verminking said:

Another more skaveni combination would be giving a packmasters the sword of judgement, and buffing him up by 4 other packmasters icluding himself. He’lol be triggering the effect of the artefact now on 2s.

To be fair, Sword of Judgement is a common pick. Lots of armies do the +1 hit far easier than us skaven folk.  Besides wouldn't you go Thermalrider cloak for movement since packmasters suffer from not keeping up with things they poked in the butt a turn earlier?

7 minutes ago, Riff_Raff_Rascal said:

To be fair, Sword of Judgement is a common pick. Lots of armies do the +1 hit far easier than us skaven folk.  Besides wouldn't you go Thermalrider cloak for movement since packmasters suffer from not keeping up with things they poked in the butt a turn earlier?

Nah I usually run them a little bit ahead of the buffed units, so I never really was to scared of not getting the buffs off

On 11/12/2018 at 8:41 PM, Skreech Verminking said:

Skaven Arch warlock with the doppleganger cloak and the cunning Creature commandtrait.

This guy cannot be attacked in combat at all and when it is time for him to attack, you can instead choose to move 8inches away from the enemy. And should he still be in combat for some reason it will be impossible to attack him at all.

so a 140points Modell which could keep 1000-1500points busy

My friend pointed out to me that you can overcome this artifact as it explicitly states an attack with an enemy melee weapon. Hence, you can only negate 1 attack profile of your choice.

If your opponent has multiple attack profiles, they can still make all other attack profiles and simply re-direct the negated attack profile to another target in close proximity. If there is no other target, that attack profile is simply wasted.

8 minutes ago, InSaint said:

My friend pointed out to me that you can overcome this artifact as it explicitly states an attack with an enemy melee weapon. Hence, you can only negate 1 attack profile of your choice.

If your opponent has multiple attack profiles, they can still make all other attack profiles and simply re-direct the negated attack profile to another target in close proximity. If there is no other target, that attack profile is simply wasted.

If you're speaking of the Doppelganger Cloak then this reading is incorrect. The hero cannot be targeted by melee weapons until it has gone itself first. 

5 minutes ago, The_Yellow_Sign said:

Another good Beasts of Chaos combo:

Shaggoth with Doppelganger Cloak and the Magnetic Monstrosity Command Trait: "Enemy units cannot retreat while they are
within 3" of this general."

Yet another reason to take him. Literally the only reason to not play a Shaggoth is because you don't want to work with resin, he's just too cool.

• 4 weeks later...

Skaven Assassin + Gildbane

Skaven Assassin deploys at the top of any combat phase 1'' away from a friendly unit of 5 or models of 1 wound each (your horde unit, probably clanrats). Gildbane negates any other artifacts within 3'' of him. If an opponent rushes your front lines with their 'nuke' hero with another artifact combo mentioned in this forum, you pop this little trick. Suddenly a tanky hero isn't tanky, and Schword of Judgement weilding heroes are now the ones being judged. The coolest part is that you can deploy the assassin in such a way that he's behind your clanrats and outside of the enemy heroes melee range to prevent retaliation. The Assassin also has bonuses against enemy heroes, so he's got that going for him, which is nice. 

On ‎12‎/‎15‎/‎2018 at 4:18 AM, Riff_Raff_Rascal said:

Skaven Assassin deploys at the top of any combat phase 1'' away from a friendly unit of 5 or models of 1 wound each (your horde unit, probably clanrats). Gildbane negates any other artifacts within 3'' of him. If an opponent rushes your front lines with their 'nuke' hero with another artifact combo mentioned in this forum, you pop this little trick. Suddenly a tanky hero isn't tanky, and Schword of Judgement weilding heroes are now the ones being judged. The coolest part is that you can deploy the assassin in such a way that he's behind your clanrats and outside of the enemy heroes melee range to prevent retaliation. The Assassin also has bonuses against enemy heroes, so he's got that going for him, which is nice. 

Holy ******! That is such a cool move! I've got to remember that one!

On 12/15/2018 at 4:18 PM, Riff_Raff_Rascal said:

Nice! Is that a realm artefact? If so, which realm is it from?

I'm surprised an anointed on frost phoenix with Shardfist pelt from hasn't been mentioned yet.

• Shardfist pelt deals a mortal wound to the attacker on a successful save roll of 6+.
  • Phoenix has a 5+ save base with +1 to save rolls on a roll of 2+ for every spell cast within 12".
  • Very easy to get +4 or more to save rolls.
  • Phoenix ignores wounds on a 4+ and can reroll 1 to save with mystic shield so is extremely resilient.
  • Fly into your horde of choice and kill it on 2's to save rerolling ones.

• 4 weeks later...

We play just for "fun", so not really a competitive combo, but it was hilarious in our last game:

• Tyrant (general):

Trait: Might is Right

Great Gutgouger (weapon)

Artifact: Anraheirs’s Claw:

Big name: +1 wound on charge.

3 atacks at 3". Hitting on 3+, wound 2+, -2 Rend, 3 dmg. If the wound roll is 4+, the dmg becomes 8.

It was a fun match and I could 1shooted him, but we wanted to see crazy numbers with just an 160 points model. 

Archived