Who is the best?

Ok, so proper clickbait title, apologies for that. But wanting to see what the community's thoughts are on who is the best faction at doing what. So below are my thoughts, please feel free to put your own and reasons why. There are 6 categories: Alpha Strike, Objective Taking/Holding, Attrition, Summoning, Magic, General Murdering. 

Alpha Strike - Stormcast:  lots of great options that can easily wipe out units when they drop in. And being able to get closer than 9" is also really helpful.

Objective Taking/Holding - Lizards: I hate the teleporting shenanigans they do, as so many mission don't require to hold for 2 turns, teleporting lizards have lost me so many games.

Attrition - Nurgle : The fnp save and summoning combined I think make them the best at outlasting opponents. All my games against nurgle have been exercises in how to not kill things ?.

Summoning - Khorne : While Lizards are also a strong contender, I think Khorne take it as they don't have to do anything, you die or they die and it all helps towards the summoning.

Magic - Legions of Nagash: Access to lots of +'s and -'s to casting, some great debuff spells and Mr.Magic himself, (our lord and saviour) Nagash.

General Murdering - DoK: It was either DoK or deepkin for this, but I think at the moment DoK have the better ability to start at one side of the table and just murder their way across to the other side better than anyone else at the moment.

• Replies 72
  • Created
  • Last Reply

actualy if you look at the deeper lore morathi is actually knows nearly all the spells bone daddy nagash knows.  So if she realy want she can fire superior necroquake that makes nagash turn into ghost by sheer envy.  And lets not forget she has some acces to slanesh lore and maybe tzeench lores. She knows realy lot of spells and smart enough to play fiddle with both light and dark elves by modifying the ratio of souls divided between them. If malekith doesn't do any thing quick every elf faction is doomed to become part of daughters of khaine.

Skaven.

there can only be one victor her and they are definitely skaven.

Edit:we have a weapon against every living thing.

play against stormcast no problem, you ever heard about our very expensive stormfiends and flamethrowers, or the warplightning cannon.

a Stormcast worst nightmare.

also deep striking won’t do you any good especially if your best units will only kill a few clanrats off, and there still are a ton of them (talking her about 200-350minis left)

magic. You ever heard about warpstone, it’s a hell of a drug.

better than does mushroom from those moonclan grots.

they will enhance your magic to freaking unstoppable, but they sideffects of course could lead to death?.

we do not have a lore, but who cares.

as long as we have warpstone there isn’t a thing that can withstand our magical in-durance.

attrition:

who cares about after after aftersaves, when you have enough mass to swap over your enemy’s.

there is literally no enemy who killed of 400clanrats till the end of turn 5.

objective holding:

try and take-steal our objectives,by killing of those 400rats.

failure is assured.

alpha strike:

Edit:with the exception of the scorch fyre battaillin there isn’t really too much deep striking we can do right now.

but still it is possible to put your whole army into reserves for the first two rounds.

and believe me that’s literally something a very shooty army would hate.

Lore wise Morathi is very powerful, what holds her back though is that she isn't a God. Her son and the other major Aelves that survived got to become gods, but she was swallowed by Slaanesh and never got that power. So she's very jealous and at the same time has a more limited pool of personal power. She might know many great spells and how to weave them, but she might lack the raw magical power to pull off such spells- at least not without the blood magic that she is now getting from her faction and cult (which is syphoning off the energy direct from the metal heart of Khaine). 

That said as for factions I'd almost want to put Daughters as the alphastrike - certainly when they've got buffs they are very powerful getting the first strike and indeed almost need to function that way to give their best overall performance. That the faction is also nearly all close combat (even the ranged units want to be in close combat) it makes sense for them to play heavier to alpha striking. 

In other news I think we need to get a muzzle for Skreech - or a running wheel!

Me. I'm the best! I only respond to the actual title to fight the good fight against clickbait.  You'll never believe what Tom cruise did. It's just what we've been thinking.  He is dating all the local singles in your area thanks to this new pill.  But wait til the end of the story! The pill is made from these 5 organic foods the cancer industry doesn't want you to know about.  If you click my league of legends video and subscribe, you can find out how to stream tonight's Monday night football and the answer is in the third commercial break, second advertisement hidden under the bed.  And THAT'S why she left him for Bradley cooper, while he was having an affair with oprah to get in her new book!

15 minutes ago, Tropical Ghost General said:

@Dead Scribe but is the quality of the summonable not better in Khorne than in lizards?

I would say no.  I wouldn't say that khorne summons are better than lizard summons.  A debate could be had that they produce equally useful summoning, and the lizards can summon more of that.  

In our group and in the tournaments in our region, khorne armies have never really done well, particularly against things like seraphon.  I have said many times that if they made the blood tithe mechanic give them more summoning ability (I think that they should be able to get about 1000 extra points on the table to be viable) that they'd definitely be on par though.

@Dead Scribe my friend and regular playing partner uses lizards and even in 1k games he's bringing on around 1k of extra models. It's really gross. But another friend plays Khorne and brings on lots of bloodletters or a blood thirster every game, sometimes both. It's equally gross. I play ghosts and barely bring back slain models, it's not gross.

Just now, Tropical Ghost General said:

@jackmcmahon guilty as charged, but tbh I didn't know how else to label it, because it is trying to debate who is the best. ?

Haha just thought I'd have some fun w ya since you mentioned it.  

My actual opinion:

Alpha-skryre! Strictly speaking the initial alpha, not the follow-up.

Objectives - fireslayers

Attrition - nurgle

Summon - mixed chaos. Warpseers, tzeentchs spells

Magic -legions 

MDK - devoted of sigma....probably dok

5 minutes ago, Tropical Ghost General said:

@jackmcmahon I'm actually using this to fish information to bombard everyone who contributes with promotional offer to join the endless ranks of our lord and saviour Nagash, I'll make sure that your on the list ?

Yes-yes and we are backing you up.

ignore the knife behind my back it’s non of your concern

Objective and attrition falls firmly into Grot (any kind, but moonclan is the most solid contender) hands. There's not much contest, tbh. Only exceptionally killy (DoK, Nighthaunt) armies can actually punch through them in time.

On objectives, the Grots outnumber everything, and come equipped with superior mobility, being barely outdone by their closest counterpart Skaven (but outnumbering them in return)

Being actually somewhat decent in combat (curtesy of being destruction), they're able to punch back at whatever comes their way, but not neccesarily wipe it out immediatedly.

Seraphon doesn't have many ways to deal with them, from experience. Extra summoning does not help them break through the Grot swarm, and Grots have plenty of tools to deal with whatever Seraphon throws their way. 

Attrition wise, they can die in droves, but as long as inspiring presence is available, they're really not going anywhere. Nurgle might still outdo them on that aspect, but not by much. Legions of Nagash might also be a solid contender for attrition.

Edit: Also completely agree with alpha striking stormcast. Deepstriking balistas is.. Well. Painfull. 

2 minutes ago, Tropical Ghost General said:

That's one way of putting it. I had to deal with 4 deepstriking balistas with a Lord ordinator in the mix as well. Was a great lesson in how to remove recently placed toys from a tabletop ?

That was what I was reffering to, yes :D

If there's any solace, I don't believe the balistas will be able to do that much longer. An unintended interaction if I ever saw one.

38 minutes ago, jackmcmahon said:

If I can get 15% off from both of you, I'll gladly join the ranks of undead skaven.  Can you just be sure to charge my card with a company name that doesn't look Warhammer related? 

Welcome to the backstabbing undead rat company, it has definitely nothing to do with Gw.

edit: we can other you a painless backstabbing death, and maybe a work place as a slave.

altough the death in the second offer would be a bit more painfull

Archived