First and Latest

Praecautus

I'be been back in the hobby2 years after a greater than 20 year absence. In those 2 years I would like to think my painting has got better and while I am not golden daemon level and still have a lot to learn, l I can put out a nice mini. So I thought it might be fun for people to show their earliest model vs their latest to show how skills progress with time. As this should be inspiring for new painters

I can start - blood reaver was painted about 2 years ago and the idoneth was painted about 2 weeks ago. I'd like to think I can see some improvement.

IMG_1873.JPG

IMG_1874.JPG

Great idea for a thread! And you're right, there's definitely improvement with your latest model over the first one, though that was by no means bad either.

I've got a similar story to your's, I started the hobby when I was around 11, continued for some years and then had a break for more than 10 years. I came back to the hobby last summer, so around 14 months ago. I've only recently gotten to the AoS/fantasy models, so most of these pics are of 40k models, but hopefully that's alright.

One of my first models (I think the Space Marine Command Squad was the second box I bought, right after the paint set), a SM Captain (excuse the dust and the poor photo). I still have my first model as well, but sadly don't have a pic of him. Anyway, this was painted with paint right out the pot and no primer. Still, the paint doesn't really destroy any details and is mostly where it should be, so I'm still really proud of him!

DSC_0602_edit.jpg.d00f55d423f0309e7bffb72d3151d240.jpg

Some of the last models I painted before the break, two Ork Boyz. Still straight paint and no primer, but I had discovered drybrushing!

uUJftEV.jpg

And then the first models after the break: 5 Chaos Cultists (first one in the middle).

6KfJ6TR.jpg

And lastly my latest models, Ironskull's Boyz, finished last weekend.

EXCWvkE.jpg

Most of my improvement comes from watching and reading a whole lot of tutorials on the internet, something which wasn't available in the early noughties. For example, the reason that my old bases were just painted was because I thought that I need to use Citadel flock and some weird type of glue called PVA glue (not an English native) for basing. Didn't have pocket money for those, so no basing :) Now that there's tutorials, and I've gotten a bit smarter, I know that I can use plain sand for basing, and that PVA glue is just ordinary white glue.

i'll hae a dig around. Now i'm curious myself. 

23 hours ago, mcmattila said:

because I thought that I need to use Citadel flock and some weird type of glue called PVA glue (not an English native) for basing.

Hahaha similar story here took me my 10+ year hiatus to figure out what it is ?

I don't have my first models, I don't remember what I did with them but I imagine they're in landfill somewhere! 

Here is my Marneus Calgar I painted at 12 years old however:

IMG_20181006_164650181.jpg.ad9f853d5535293e78e6aba55e39cee2.jpg

IMG_20181006_164701843.jpg.82dbf9a81aa413240b266949a1c36433.jpg

5 quid! I think it would have been lead too, though it might have been amongst the first white metal models. 1995/6 for anyone in the know? @Ben Johnson

I'm still very proud of it. I used to absorb all the advice at Games Workshop. I learnt to use washes, edge highlights, thinning paints, layering etc because the staff on Friar Lane, Nottingham, were awesome. I don't think I ever painted a model that wasn't undercoated! My dad was great too, set me up the garage, brought me a model every week, taught me to use superglue and knives.

Most recent finished work is my Hydra:

IMG_20181021_160245.jpg.5838ddb9f15211e621d86a4ea847c923.jpg

IMG_20181019_000916.jpg.7271cbedf387701a60b910c054062051.jpg

I've practiced wet blending, shading using paint and medium (rather than washes), damage, re-learnt painting gems and a bit of weathering. 

One tip I really value is basing. Mixing materials and then painting them really helps. You can see on Marneus they're just small human stones, as opposed to the rough stoney ground on the Hydra. 

1 hour ago, Praecautus said:

That hydra is fabulous and as for that marine, it's why I created this thread ? I wish I had my old metal minis, they were lead - Thrugg bullneck and his space ork raiders.

Thanks. It's a great thread, love seeing people's older models. 

@mcmattila your Orks look brilliant. Great improvement! 

17 hours ago, syph0n said:

One tip I really value is basing. Mixing materials and then painting them really helps. You can see on Marneus they're just small human stones, as opposed to the rough stoney ground on the Hydra. 

This can't be stressed enough, paint your bases even if you want you glued-on sand to just look like sand! One additional small thing with bases is to finish by painting the rim. It's really quick and easy, but instantly makes the models look finished (or if not done, make the model look unfinished).

12 hours ago, syph0n said:

Thanks. It's a great thread, love seeing people's older models. 

@mcmattila your Orks look brilliant. Great improvement! 

Thanks! And the same can be said of your models! I absolutely love those gems! Sounds like you got a good start with your painting journey, I'm a bit envious :) When I started, I didn't have a proper hobby shop anywhere near me and there wasn't a GW/Warhammer store in the whole country :D But that's alright, were here now and I've always enjoyed my painting progress and the finished models!

Oh another excuse to use my new toy, err... light box. I found the first mini I’d ever painted a few weeks ago; I won’t say just how long ago that elf was painted... but the board game was still brand spanking new at the time (<3 months).

Just for clairity: no he isn’t melting, no I didn’t use primer, and no I didn’t even know what basing meant back then lol. That’s pure testor’s enamel right outta the pot. I still have a lot of room for improvement but think it is safe to say I’ve come a long way already. Especially considering I only started painting again, what 4 months ago? 5? After a >20 year hiatus. All hail the glory that is YouTube.

372EBB54-7EF0-4BC4-BF21-A2D07E5E81E5.jpeg

BA8A94E3-04F5-48F2-AAE3-B2D4E6017BA2.jpeg

3 hours ago, Praecautus said:

That's quite a change ! Looks neat. 

What is the model? Some sort of Slaanesh sorcerer?

I cannot confirm,  but I am confident that the gods of chaos weren't around yet.   This is a generic Chaos Sorcerer, with a casting stamp of 1985.  I believe he came with a small entourage of familiars (dragon,  cat,  nymph)  that I didn't paint.   

On 11/10/2018 at 5:40 AM, Lior'Lec said:

@grungolah Love the cape on your sorcerer, I may have to steal that idea for celestial robes. Looks like celesta grey stippled on for the stars, is that correct? 

Oh,  I learned a new word!   I don't know if that refers to a specific technique or spots in general.   For mine,  the spots are basically splattered white.   Pull the bristles back with your thumb  and let the paint fly.   

Archived