Gutbuster army

walheim

Hey guys! I'm jumping into an escelation turnament at a 1000 points gutbusters, looking to have fun, but not getting slaughtered.

Tyrant: not sure how to equip this lad.. I want the guttgouger and I'm going to have bragg the guttsman to proxy for this.

Butcher with cauldron

20 gnoblars to bully and tarpit

6 ogors dual weapons, look ut gnoblar.

3 ironbellys

3 leadbelcher.

Tips and thoughts for my first gutbuster tournament? How would you expand to 1500 and 2000? Thanks!

Hey Walheim. You got an excellent start. For your Tyrant look into realm artifacts from the malign sorcery book. Ghyr-Strike seems to be a popular choice for tyrants. 

As for ways you can expand I'd consider

• A Big 12-man Ogor Unit. These are very reliable, hardy, and can do some damage.
  • More Ironguts. This is your bread and butter rend unit. 
  • More Gnoblars. I've always found my gnoblars to be invaluable. You could consider adding 20 or 40 more to taste.
  • Another Butcher. Two butchers seem pretty standard for high point games.

Honorable mention to the firebelly. I dont see many people taking him but he's always been quite a reliable damage dealer for me. I see a lot of people swear by leadbelchers, but I dont use them much myself. 

Hope that gives you some ideas! Happy Hunting!

Thank you!

I'm using a firebelly for my BCR army and i like him, but he is never quite preforming to the standard i expect..

For the two butchers, do you go double cauldron? I don't see a reason not to..

Is it worth investing in an endless spell? Coggs?

And please excuse me for I have not uet looked into the tyrant items you suggested, what does ghyr strike do? What would go well woth this? I see alot of people trying to max out their to wound roll on a tyrant with gutrgouger. Battle brew is a thing i've seen alot.

Thanks again for the replies!

15 minutes ago, walheim said:

Thank you!

I'm using a firebelly for my BCR army and i like him, but he is never quite preforming to the standard i expect..

For the two butchers, do you go double cauldron? I don't see a reason not to..

Is it worth investing in an endless spell? Coggs?

And please excuse me for I have not uet looked into the tyrant items you suggested, what does ghyr strike do? What would go well woth this? I see alot of people trying to max out their to wound roll on a tyrant with gutrgouger. Battle brew is a thing i've seen alot.

Thanks again for the replies!

No problem! You are correct, there is no reason not to take your butchers with cauldrons. Its a free upgrade with potentially game changing buffs!

I don't really have any "must have" recommendations for endless spells. My best recommendation would be to consider the malevolent maelstrom just because its hard for gutbusters to defend themselves against magic heavy armies.  I've not used the Cogs but I'd love to hear your experience with them if you get the chance.

Ghyr-strike adds +1 to hit and to wound on a weapon. So its easy to see how much of a boost that would be to a Tyrant with the gut-gouger.

Personally, I think your unit sizes are all a bit too small, even at 1k.

I don’t always use gnoblars, but when I do, only in (very) large numbers. I think ironguts and leadbelchers are only really useful in units of at least 6. While ogors in units of 6 are ok, 12 is much more efficient. So if you already have the army as written, I’d expand by doubling each unit! If you don’t, you might want to consider running fewer units at 1k, but in larger sizes.

you could try:

tyrant with gutgouger (ghyrstrike, wild fury is my current choice for a gutgouger tyrant)

butcher with cauldron

12 ogors

6 leadbelchers.

Or:

Butcher with cauldron

40 gnoblars

6 ironguts

6 leadbelchers

55 minutes ago, Baron Wastelands said:

Personally, I think your unit sizes are all a bit too small, even at 1k.

I don’t always use gnoblars, but when I do, only in (very) large numbers. I think ironguts and leadbelchers are only really useful in units of at least 6. While ogors in units of 6 are ok, 12 is much more efficient. So if you already have the army as written, I’d expand by doubling each unit! If you don’t, you might want to consider running fewer units at 1k, but in larger sizes.

you could try:

tyrant with gutgouger (ghyrstrike, wild fury is my current choice for a gutgouger tyrant)

butcher with cauldron

12 ogors

6 leadbelchers.

Or:

Butcher with cauldron

40 gnoblars

6 ironguts

6 leadbelchers

Thank you for your input!

Why wild fury and not something else?

I can apreciate the thoughts about size. Tried allying 6 ogres with my bcr and i won a combat against 5 ironjaw brutes with one ogre standing... alltough brutes have reroll against 4 wounds i think i could have overwelmed him with more attacks earlier to get the edge and win faster.

I might change some things but im unsure if i will be able to afourd it/have time to paint it foe the 1k. Everything i bought is with the intention to double the size of each unit. Do you think this list will get crushed or is it atleast somewhat competent?

Thank you again!

You'll still occasionally get crushed by MW spam or heavy shooting or any of the new super-fast teleporty things.  Depending on how experienced and/or competitive your local group is.  I do just fine with something like yours in my current local, where everyone plays 40k and AoS is like a strange mystery to them.  But would probably get rolled over in a more dedicated AoS group.

7 minutes ago, walheim said:

Thank you for your input!

Why wild fury and not something else?

I can apreciate the thoughts about size. Tried allying 6 ogres with my bcr and i won a combat against 5 ironjaw brutes with one ogre standing... alltough brutes have reroll against 4 wounds i think i could have overwelmed him with more attacks earlier to get the edge and win faster.

I might change some things but im unsure if i will be able to afourd it/have time to paint it foe the 1k. Everything i bought is with the intention to double the size of each unit. Do you think this list will get crushed or is it atleast somewhat competent?

Thank you again!

We had a discussion about Wild fury over might is right in the main gutbuster forum, but I believe that overall wild fury wins out in terms of raw damage.

Your list is not a bad starting list, and will teach you the strengths and weaknesses of each type, but only against similarly non-optimised lists. I think you’ll find that the gnoblars will get chewed through quickly without doing much, and similarly with your leadbelchers. 3 leadbelchers need to get lucky to do much damage.  3 ironguts are still capable of doing a reasonable amount of wounds, but won’t last long enough in combat to really make the most of it. Your tyrant will be a brute in 1k though, just don’t charge him in alone!

1 minute ago, Baron Wastelands said:

We had a discussion about Wild fury over might is right in the main gutbuster forum, but I believe that overall wild fury wins out in terms of raw damage.

Your list is not a bad starting list, and will teach you the strengths and weaknesses of each type, but only against similarly non-optimised lists. I think you’ll find that the gnoblars will get chewed through quickly without doing much, and similarly with your leadbelchers. 3 leadbelchers need to get lucky to do much damage.  3 ironguts are still capable of doing a reasonable amount of wounds, but won’t last long enough in combat to really make the most of it. Your tyrant will be a brute in 1k though, just don’t charge him in alone!

My plan is using the gnobblars as a screen, forcing the other guys who play that use mostly 1" attack to go through them while i swing overhead with my ironguts and tyrant.  The ogors are going to contest objectives and try to pick fights they can win. My leadbelchers are for the range/support and holding down objectives if i fear an enemy troup can fly over/outflank me and grab it.

What are your thoughts on my overall battleplan?

15 minutes ago, amysrevenge said:

You'll still occasionally get crushed by MW spam or heavy shooting or any of the new super-fast teleporty things.  Depending on how experienced and/or competitive your local group is.  I do just fine with something like yours in my current local, where everyone plays 40k and AoS is like a strange mystery to them.  But would probably get rolled over in a more dedicated AoS group.

The players in facing is a mixture of totally new players, and veterans. I think i stand a chance of a 50% winrate, and that's fine for me. I'm all about having fun, i just dont want a 100% loss even at a friendly tournament.

Thank you for the input!

My 1k list that is easy to build up to 2k. If there is any advice I can give is use screens to the best of your ability. This includes well positioned min size Irongut units. It's all about getting the charge with the Ogors and most importantly knowing which targets to charge. Use your Tyrant and your 12 Ogors as your bully units. Your opponents will learn that a properly geared out Tyrant is one of the scariest heroes in the game. Have some fun, let us know how your games go!

Edit: dual hand weapons on the Ogors. Rerolling 1s to hit is too good to pass up on.

IMG_2996.PNG

8 hours ago, James S said:

My 1k list that is easy to build up to 2k. If there is any advice I can give is use screens to the best of your ability. This includes well positioned min size Irongut units. It's all about getting the charge with the Ogors and most importantly knowing which targets to charge. Use your Tyrant and your 12 Ogors as your bully units. Your opponents will learn that a properly geared out Tyrant is one of the scariest heroes in the game. Have some fun, let us know how your games go!

Edit: dual hand weapons on the Ogors. Rerolling 1s to hit is too good to pass up on.

IMG_2996.PNG

Thank you!

It's a shame that mystic shield has been nerfed. I really like the idea of ogres with fists just being a stick in the enemies eye. 
Altough rerolling ones is tons of fun aswell!

I think i will follow this list, and build up my 1,5k with leadbelchers and more grots. 

Thank you for the advice!

3 hours ago, walheim said:

Thank you!

It's a shame that mystic shield has been nerfed. I really like the idea of ogres with fists just being a stick in the enemies eye. 
Altough rerolling ones is tons of fun aswell!

I think i will follow this list, and build up my 1,5k with leadbelchers and more grots. 

Thank you for the advice!

Are you going double hand weapon or iron fist? I’m starting to prefer the double hand weapons. Especially now it’s harder to get +1 save.  The way I see it is:

A unit with six ogors get 18 attacks (+1 for the champ I know but I’m doing the maths in my head). Which means an average of 3 ones. Which averages for an extra 1,5 hits every combat phase and one successful to wound for 2 damage. 

The same unit, let’s assume all in combat, suffers 24 wounds before being wiped. Which averages to 4 mortal wounds. Now most likely your opponent will overkill you a bit but even by 6 wounds it only averages one more mortal wound. Also add those that you save since you keep that wound, minus the attacks with rend...

so for me the double hand weapons seem to Trigger their effect more often and less ‘circumstances’ to cancel the effect out. 

9 minutes ago, Kramer said:

Are you going double hand weapon or iron fist? I’m starting to prefer the double hand weapons. Especially now it’s harder to get +1 save.  The way I see it is:

A unit with six ogors get 18 attacks (+1 for the champ I know but I’m doing the maths in my head). Which means an average of 3 ones. Which averages for an extra 1,5 hits every combat phase and one successful to wound for 2 damage. 

The same unit, let’s assume all in combat, suffers 24 wounds before being wiped. Which averages to 4 mortal wounds. Now most likely your opponent will overkill you a bit but even by 6 wounds it only averages one more mortal wound. Also add those that you save since you keep that wound, minus the attacks with rend...

so for me the double hand weapons seem to Trigger their effect more often and less ‘circumstances’ to cancel the effect out. 

I totally agree, also, if you get hit with rend the fists doesn't even matter!

So the smart thing is to go with the double hand weapons.

Though i love the looks of the ogre with iron fists!

31 minutes ago, walheim said:

I totally agree, also, if you get hit with rend the fists doesn't even matter!

So the smart thing is to go with the double hand weapons.

Though i love the looks of the ogre with iron fists!

Yeah I know. The look is the one thing that keeps me from remodelling them. Also my friends keep picking them to play against me. Don’t want to lose my fighting chance ;) 

2 minutes ago, Kramer said:

Yeah I know. The look is the one thing that keeps me from remodelling them. Also my friends keep picking them to play against me. Don’t want to lose my fighting chance ;) 

I just play with the fists as a proxy to a dual wielding, as none of the players in my gaming area are demanding everything to be wysiwyg, it's all good! 

Though my next box i will have them as dual wielding, if i have mixed fists and dual for my 12 ogor unit i think it'll look pretty cool!

2 hours ago, walheim said:

I just play with the fists as a proxy to a dual wielding, as none of the players in my gaming area are demanding everything to be wysiwyg, it's all good! 

Though my next box i will have them as dual wielding, if i have mixed fists and dual for my 12 ogor unit i think it'll look pretty cool!

This is what I do. My Ogors are from the old Fantasy days so everything is glued and painted. No desire to start over. Lol. I actually like the way the mixed unit looks. Always let my opponent know what I'm using. Have never had an issue game nights or tournaments.

23 minutes ago, James S said:

This is what I do. My Ogors are from the old Fantasy days so everything is glued and painted. No desire to start over. Lol. I actually like the way the mixed unit looks. Always let my opponent know what I'm using. Have never had an issue game nights or tournaments.

Have you changed into round bases?

The butcher and gragg still come with square bases, god knows why..

I think people who have a big issue with those things arent people id spend my freetime with.. haha 

17 minutes ago, Mutter said:

Well, I think correct bases are more important than the exact equipment.

Bases mean a lot when it comes to determining dow many can fight etc., and therefor actually make a difference. The equipment not so much ...

Yes!! 

So much yes to this, I dont care if you have 6 trolls and call them ogors, as long as the base is the same.

2 hours ago, walheim said:

Have you changed into round bases?

The butcher and gragg still come with square bases, god knows why..

I think people who have a big issue with those things arent people id spend my freetime with.. haha 

Yes I did. Everything matches the GW suggested base chart. Working on getting my Butchers with Cauldrons on the proper oval bases.

i would definitely suggest trying to base your models properly if you plan to play anything competitive. As suggested above, the base sizes are extremely important in this game.

5 hours ago, walheim said:

You could look into magnetizing one hand so you can swap between the two. Ogor arms are large and make for an extremely easy magnetizing project. I did a test ogor myself that was easy enough. For the sake of transparency, I've not worked up the motivation to magnetize my whole army yet. One day I'd like to though!

51 minutes ago, James S said:

Yes I did. Everything matches the GW suggested base chart. Working on getting my Butchers with Cauldrons on the proper oval bases.

i would definitely suggest trying to base your models properly if you plan to play anything competitive. As suggested above, the base sizes are extremely important in this game.

My fat boys also came from the old world. However I was very happy to have a legitimate motivation to rebase them. Ogre kingdoms were my first army ever and my first attempts at basing were atrocious. I called it, "The Great Ogor Rebasing Project"! The new bases look much nicer. ?

For anyone who doesn't know, there is a document among the AoS FAQs that spells out "official" base sizes for all models. Could come in  handy should you look into rebasing yourself. https://whc-cdn.games-workshop.com/wp-content/uploads/2018/06/age_of_sigmar_core_rules_designers_commentary_Basesizes_en.pdf

1 hour ago, PensivePanther said:

You could look into magnetizing one hand so you can swap between the two. Ogor arms are large and make for an extremely easy magnetizing project. I did a test ogor myself that was easy enough. For the sake of transparency, I've not worked up the motivation to magnetize my whole army yet. One day I'd like to though!

My fat boys also came from the old world. However I was very happy to have a legitimate motivation to rebase them. Ogre kingdoms were my first army ever and my first attempts at basing were atrocious. I called it, "The Great Ogor Rebasing Project"! The new bases look much nicer. ?

For anyone who doesn't know, there is a document among the AoS FAQs that spells out "official" base sizes for all models. Could come in  handy should you look into rebasing yourself. https://whc-cdn.games-workshop.com/wp-content/uploads/2018/06/age_of_sigmar_core_rules_designers_commentary_Basesizes_en.pdf

AWESOME! 

I'm painting my first 6 ogors now, can throw them up tomorrow if i'm done. Do you guys know where i can find some ogre tattoo sheet and what they mean? I have a feeling the old whfb book had it..

On 10/18/2018 at 8:37 PM, walheim said:

AWESOME! 

I'm painting my first 6 ogors now, can throw them up tomorrow if i'm done. Do you guys know where i can find some ogre tattoo sheet and what they mean? I have a feeling the old whfb book had it..

The ogre kingdoms book had 1 page or something about symbols for banners and what they mean but just tattoo what you want, my old ogres all had different tattoos, even different styles.

• 5 weeks later...
On 10/18/2018 at 8:37 PM, walheim said:

AWESOME! 

I think I can look it up tomorrow if it’s still useful?

Archived