What are your pet peeves at the gaming table?

TheWilddog

8 hours ago, Kirjava13 said:

Well, any rule has exceptions. As much as I like, "don't be a d**k, paint your $**t" as a principle, if I met someone whose mental health was dependant on hobby stuff (like mine is! ?) or who had a condition like shaking hands, I wouldn't insist on it. It's a hobby, not a cult.

This. I think what many of us that hold the view about painted minis boils down to a few things. Someone not being able to do it is (or should) never be one. Usually it's because:

1. We don't field minis until we've painted them and we feel ... disadvantaged by our own choices / hobby ethic
  2. Many of us have met so many WAAC attitudes of "I bought it to win" and "I don't care if it's painted" 

It's 100% different if the other person has a condition that prevents them painting. 

Oh and I actually have a controversial pet peeve - people paying others to paint and build minis for them. Again there are exceptions but in general, I feel I'm not playing their army. For me it's like micro-transactions in video games in events with soft scores - pay to win.

• Replies 183
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Honestly I don't care if my opponent paid someone else to build/paint their army or bought it off ebay or bought their army of Steve who also plays at the club. The only thing I require is that they are upfront and honest and do not attempt to misslead or lie. 

Playing with  models a person didn't build/paint = perfectly fine

Entering a painting competition with models that they did not paint themselves (and where there is no rule allowing that to be permitted in the competition) = not fine!

7 minutes ago, Overread said:

Honestly I don't care if my opponent paid someone else to build/paint their army or bought it off ebay or bought their army of Steve who also plays at the club. The only thing I require is that they are upfront and honest and do not attempt to misslead or lie. 

Playing with  models a person didn't build/paint = perfectly fine

Entering a painting competition with models that they did not paint themselves (and where there is no rule allowing that to be permitted in the competition) = not fine!

True and the last bit is a more nuanced way of saying my point really :)

I buy heaps of models on ebay ... and then paint strip them. This is probably a hobbyist's POV and again I'm not a great painter - it's just how I see the hobby and it's not how everyone should. Just a quirk of my mind :)

I would think that most of the peeves in this thread come with the unspoken caveat of "...unless there's a reasonable explanation for it." tacked on the end.

I also don't like playing against a sea of gray... unless there's a reasonable explanation for it.  And I don't like people who roll dice in an annoying way... unless there's a reasonable explanation for it.  Etc.

I share the painted model peeve too, I think once you've played games on a fully painted board with fully painted armies either side you realise how nice it is and don't want to go back.

Everybody has different standards though from golden demon level to just one or two colours, the key point is that somebody has made the effort to get some paint onto the model to the best of their ability.  I had a good friend (of 25+ years) who had muscular distrophy who sadly passed away around a year ago and if I'm honest his models weren't that brilliant (and got worse as the years went on), but he did them to the best of his ability and actually had more painted models at one point than I did!  Every now and again I'd go round and we'd have a painting session together - I'd spray a load of his models for him so that he could concentrate on the details etc.

Confession - I'm not a good painter, and I'm ok with that.  I have neither the desire nor time to become a great one. But I always play with painted models.

I think for those who are struggling with painting models my recommendation is, just be ok with average.  

So I only have a few pet peeves but here goes:

• People who can't have a laugh or a bit of banter during the game, these people kind of suck the life out of playing for me, and although they are thankfully rare in my area there's  still some out there
  • People who bring hyper-competitive lists to friendly games, I think most of us can agree that playing a game that's over before the start of turn 3 is not enjoyable
  • Bad winners and sore losers, at the end of the day it's just a game, if someone didn't have an enjoyable game with me I'd rather they tell me in a constructive sort of way in case it was to do with me personally than seeing them go into a bit of a strop, likewise please don't go on a gloat-fest after winning :/ 
  • Unhygienic gamers, though enough has been said about that one

Used to not like fielding or playing against unpainted miniatures, though in recent years that pet-peeve has disappeared for me, now that I'm at university and working nearly every day when I'm not there I only have a few hours each week of free time, sometimes I use that for painting but I'd get really burned out if I did that with all the free time I get

I agree with most things people have already stated here but the 1 that doesn't bother me is unpainted models. If a tournament says they have to be painted then thats the rules and paint your models. But in a friendly game I don't care. People have lives and may not be able to spend time painting. I know when I was in college. The little time did have for warhammer I would have rather played a game than just painted ya know.

I hate it when people just start rolling dice without telling me what they are rolling for. 
Please, just tell me what you are doing. Is the one you just rolled good or bad? What does it mean? 

I try to always announce what im doing and also tell my opponent what im looking for (3+ to-hit, 4+ to-wound, etc.). 

50 minutes ago, Gecktron said:

I hate it when people just start rolling dice without telling me what they are rolling for. 
Please, just tell me what you are doing. Is the one you just rolled good or bad? What does it mean? 

I try to always announce what im doing and also tell my opponent what im looking for (3+ to-hit, 4+ to-wound, etc.). 

Hah. Yeah! Or the ones that roll -really- fast, and pick up their dice immediatedly. Especially when they got a bunch of re-rolls. 

"I got twenty hits"   Wuh? How? When? What!? 

Cocked dice would be mine. I do make this more of a problem in that I let people self police it though.

I had a game of 40k against a not super fun soup list. It had 3 units that fired 6d3 shots, so there was alot of dice being rolled. Due to the tournament layout we had alot of scatter terrain with some buildings. Anyways I play it that a dice not level should be re rolled, it's just easier that way, thos guy did not play that way. What made it worse was he was part of the TO team and I was very hung over.

But I am aware that I made that situation worse by not saying anything. My way of dealing with cocked dice is just simply ask, then the whole game is held to the same standard

Mine would be:

1. Being loose and fast with movement

2. Ignoring/moving terrain 'cos it's in the way 

3. Stupidly large tape measures with stupidly large wrist straps

4. Faction dice with symbols etc which are impossible to read  

5. Unpainted armies

So just came back from a 7000pt mega battle and have a new pet peeve;

People playing mobile games on their phones *constantly*

I understand looking at your phone occasionally during down time (I do too to message people when needed) but this guy literally never let his screen turn off. Even when being attacked directly he'd not pay attention and then be need to told how many dice to roll then he'd roll them on the staircase so no one could see the dice. To make things worse, the main guy he interacted with was a good friend of his who just enabled his bad behaviour.

At one point when he had few models left he basically decided it wasn't worth his time and went downstairs to the 1f meaning his friend had to run down and get him to get him to fight!

*Edit* forgot to mention that when he did pay attention he'd take over. I'd be half way through an attack sequence and then he'd realise it was the fight phase and start loudly declaring rolls with no care to what everyone else was doing (and his enabler friend let him) meaning I'd have to stop mid-sequence to let him rush through his attacks so he could return to his other game he clearly cared about more.

*Rant over*

–Spectators that lean on the edge of the battlefield.  That annoys the hell out of me.  Respect other people's space.

–Opponents who don't collect all their dice off the battlefield after rolls.  Little one-off rolls, or dice that go astray, or remnants of their armor saves...  They just end up with random dice here and there, cluttering up the battlefield, sometimes right in the middle where you'll probably need to roll your upcoming attacks or move your models.

–Players who ambush or set up units into your backfield, and it's ALWAYS on the corner where you have your dice, tape measure, turn counter, etc.  So you've got to move all your junk so they can set up their ambushing unit.  (Note: This is only a problem in games when there's not any room next to the table to keep all that stuff-- which is basically every game.)

11 hours ago, Rob Hawkins said:

–Players who ambush or set up units into your backfield, and it's ALWAYS on the corner where you have your dice, tape measure, turn counter, etc.  So you've got to move all your junk so they can set up their ambushing unit.  (Note: This is only a problem in games when there's not any room next to the table to keep all that stuff-- which is basically every game.)

Though I totally understand that our play areas can run out of space sometimes. This is hardly something to complain about, Anywhere on the board is fair game and its not my fault you took up space with your stuff. It could see this being a pet peeve the other way around, not being able to use part of the table because this is "my storage area"

12 hours ago, Archkyrie11 said:

Though I totally understand that our play areas can run out of space sometimes. This is hardly something to complain about, Anywhere on the board is fair game and its not my fault you took up space with your stuff. It could see this being a pet peeve the other way around, not being able to use part of the table because this is "my storage area"

Yeah I'm having a hard time with sympathy on this issue as well.

13 hours ago, mikethefish said:

Yeah I'm having a hard time with sympathy on this issue as well.

This made me chuckle. Although there's nothing wrong with what they're doing, ambushing/deepstriking/etc. armies I face always have a knack of placing their troops in the most inconvenient places for how I've set up for a game. It's definitely annoying! Ha ha!

On 10/22/2018 at 9:36 AM, Archkyrie11 said:

I prefer to keep anything that's not a model or scenery off of the table (I don't even like using dice as wound markers) but there's rarely any spare space at the shop, so I try to keep it as far off to the side as possible.  Space is so tight that units waiting in reserve are still on the board somewhere. 

It's more of a "Murphy's Law" thing, that wherever I try to stash my turn counter, command point counter, victory point counter, effect tokens, combat gauge, tape measure, and giant pile of dice is where my opponent wants to ambush.  At least I don't have a pile of warscroll cards lining the back edge of the table to further complicate things..

So I guess my real peeve is shops that don't have enough space, or the fact that there's so much extra paraphernalia required for the game.  Oh- also my endless spells waiting to be cast, and the list of extra realm spells (for the pile of extra stuff). 9_9

Archived