Jump to content
Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
TheWilddog

What are your pet peeves at the gaming table?

Recommended Posts

6 minutes ago, mikethefish said:

With an amount of dice that huge, it's hard to tell.

this has just made me think, is there such a thing as a dice scoop? So say you have a bucket with 100 dice in, you have a little trowel like you get in pick'n'mix selections that can only fit say 10 or 20 dice. So just scoop it in and can quickly roll 20 at a time.

I'll be the first to admit this is almost entirely unnecessary, would save at most a few seconds and is just something extra to spend money on (especially when GW sticks a logo on it and charges £30) but then you could probably say the same for 90% of the stuff people buy for this hobby.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 10/16/2018 at 4:57 PM, chord said:
  1. Skaven players who talk all skaven-y.

OH GOD SO MUCH

Stop this skaven players, please. It's ultra annoying to hear AND to read it, and you aren't fun, you just look like complete idiots doing it, and i retroactively feel guilt to like the same thing than a complete idiot.

The worst are the one doing it in a Games Workshop when non-wargamer people are here for the sake of curiosity. You just make the whole community look like complete morons and man-childs, and we all know how hard it is to be taken seriously by most of people when you say you like painting miniatures and playing with it

Edited by ledha
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 2
  • Haha 2
  • Sad 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, JPjr said:

this has just made me think, is there such a thing as a dice scoop? So say you have a bucket with 100 dice in, you have a little trowel like you get in pick'n'mix selections that can only fit say 10 or 20 dice. So just scoop it in and can quickly roll 20 at a time.

I'll be the first to admit this is almost entirely unnecessary, would save at most a few seconds and is just something extra to spend money on (especially when GW sticks a logo on it and charges £30) but then you could probably say the same for 90% of the stuff people buy for this hobby.

Reminds me of this classic (7th ed?) moment when a bunch of guys dared each other to run the terrible White Dwarf Gnoblar Horde list at a GT.  One guy had over 1000 models in a 2250 point list (2 pt gnoblars.)   The key moment is 30 seconds in when Greg Pearson (of the old Painting Tabled Podcast)  has his giant eat 100 or so strength 2 attacks.   

 

Also featured shots in the colors of the gnoblar units every time one of the units was destroyed. Great times. 

 

 

 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, AGPO said:

The gamer's inch for me is more about consistency. I'm not fussed about 1/16th of an inch, but the best solution for me is to always agree the distance before rolling. Also, don't ask for the gamer' s inch if you're not prepared to give it, or only offer it when the situation isn't too important to you.  Once again, expectations are key.

I have had this inconsistency with re-rolling cocked dice. One time a guy rolled a bunch of wounds with a Celestar Ballista and 3-5 were pretty majorly cocked (more than 50%) onto some terrain and he asked if I wanted him to re-roll, which I did and he goes on to score 3 more wounds.

Fast-forward to my turn and I roll a 6 on my Warp Lightning Cannon shot (this is bad for those that do not know WLC's) that is also cocked (about 50% of the way, same as his were) and after asking him if he's okay with a re-roll I get a "That looks like a 6 to me..."

I've yet to play him again after that and a few other shenanigans that he tried pulling throughout.

Edited by Gwendar

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, mikethefish said:

You are right - I can't imagine how many times your opponent would ask you, because I can't imagine it would be that much.  Certainly not enough to become a problem, at any rate.  Your opponent is going to quiz you about lots of stuff - armor saves, damage output, etc.  Exactly how much time do you think you are saving counting damage down?  I don't regard so-called "constant questions" from my opponents as being a legitimate reason

Damage is tracked up in AoS, as far as I'm concerned.  The least amount of steps taken will reduce the amount of potential errors.  Counting up damage eliminates a step, and so is the superior method, IMO.

I can see the complaint if you are using dice to track wounds, but I have a bunch of wound counters (either little red glass beads or small bases with skulls on them), it'd feel weird to use them to count down wounds.

With that said, when I DM'ed, I always counted up hit points. I did that so it's obfuscated as to the number of hit points a monster has left (that way I don't need to worry about hiding the sheet I'm using to track hit points). I can see how it would be annoying if I thought someone was doing it for that reason in a wargame like AoS.

IIRC, the wound counters in Silver Tower also count up.

I lean on the side of counting up, but I'd ask the first time my opponent took a wound if there was any confusion.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
48 minutes ago, ledha said:

OH GOD SO MUCH

Stop this skaven players, please. It's ultra annoying to hear AND to read it, and you aren't fun, you just look like complete idiots doing it, and i retroactively feel guilt to like the same thing than a complete idiot.

The worst are the one doing it in a Games Workshop when non-wargamer people are here for the sake of curiosity. You just make the whole community look like complete morons and man-childs, and we all know how hard it is to be taken seriously by most of people when you say you like painting miniatures and playing with it

You're doing Sigmar's work @ledha

Though I have been known to sing "under the sea" during games and if I play a Slaanesh game I do want to shout "stop triggering me".

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Players who are both ultra-competitive gamers and sore losers

If you bring some cheesy list for the sole purpose of crushing others, don't cry when yourself gets crushed by a cheesier list.

Hoist with your own petard. Get over it.

 

  • Like 5

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, Marc Wilson said:

I don't get this hygiene thing - I must have played 200 different people in the UK and never found anyone who came across as needing a bath. My pet peeve is people over-shaking dice by 2 seconds or more - throw the f**king dice!

There is a prominent person in the US gaming scene who I will not name who CONSISTENTLY smells absolutely terrible. Like, overwhelming from across the table bad. Having talked to some of his closer friends, it has been brought up. I don't know if he just doesn't care or has some type of moral opposition to deodorant, but it does happen.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I hate weird dice.  

Get normal sized dice, in a solid color with pips in black or white.  

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
  1. Mostly Grey Plastic models
  2. Excessive Proxies (I don't mean alternate models or conversions I mean print out pictures stuck to bases)

Oh and I totally agree with this:

3 hours ago, Num said:

Players who are both ultra-competitive gamers and sore losers

If you bring some cheesy list for the sole purpose of crushing others, don't cry when yourself gets crushed by a cheesier list.

Hoist with your own petard. Get over it.

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 hours ago, HollowHills said:

Yet there seems to be a lot of animosity towards unpainted model, is this really fair? Or is it more about people who just don't paint? Is it better to paint slowly, with some errors / skill limits than to pay someone to paint your army to a high standard?

Just show progress. If you've had a unit on the table for, say, three games in a row with no paint, and then you build and add a different unit but still don't paint the ones you had, then that's disrespectful to your opponents.

Painted models look better, create a more immersive experience, and help avoid confusion and inadvertent advantages.

  • Like 5
  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
23 minutes ago, Sleboda said:

Just show progress. If you've had a unit on the table for, say, three games in a row with no paint, and then you build and add a different unit but still don't paint the ones you had, then that's disrespectful to your opponents.

Painted models look better, create a more immersive experience, and help avoid confusion and inadvertent advantages.

I can only speak for myself here, but I use this hobby, in part, to escape from things in real life that get me down. Sometimes painting will “get the job done,” and sometimes building will. It’s rather self-centered to say that proliferation of unpainted models is a slight to my opponent if this keeps my mood from plunging into the toilet. Maybe ask your opponent why more unpainted models are appearing before assuming that disrespect should be inferred. 

  • Like 6

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

It can be both. You can elevate your mood and also realize that it would be more considerate to your opponent to field painted models. Friends will understand your need to build, just as you would likely understand that painted stuff is better for the game. 

Compromise and understanding are wonderful.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 hours ago, ledha said:

OH GOD SO MUCH

Stop this skaven players, please. It's ultra annoying to hear AND to read it, and you aren't fun, you just look like complete idiots doing it, and i retroactively feel guilt to like the same thing than a complete idiot.

The worst are the one doing it in a Games Workshop when non-wargamer people are here for the sake of curiosity. You just make the whole community look like complete morons and man-childs, and we all know how hard it is to be taken seriously by most of people when you say you like painting miniatures and playing with it

 

10 hours ago, Dead Scribe said:

Yeah.  People that are roleplaying their army at the table kind of creep me out to be honest.


To each their own :) I don't mind that stuff at all, and I must say I'm actually a pretty big fan of the spread-effect (don't know what to call it) of ork (mostly 40k players apparantly?) shouting Waagh. Spreads across the whole room. Great stuff, tbh. One should never have to be ashamed for being passionate about their game, and it sure as heck isn't their responsibility to make the rest of us "look good"* - We're surely capable of that ourselves. There are worse apples out there. 

*Obviously there are exceptions. 

Edited by Mayple
  • Like 5

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 10/16/2018 at 3:49 PM, Overread said:

1) The first rule in war* is to guard your plans closely. Anything you divulge to the enemy can and will be used against you (even unintentionally**)

2) I find that many who have armies of grey fit into two categories
a) The lazy who cannot be helped, encouraged but not helped
b) Those who lack the skill and understanding to paint well and might also have serious confidence issues with their painting. A few club-night painting sessions and helping out show them how to devise an army scheme and helping them paint can turn this group around very readily. 

* Ok maybe not the first.

** It will often be that what race you play, what map you're playing and known objectives will form the foundation for an army design. If the player knows exactly what you're taking its hard for many to avoid taking "good" choices. 

I play with unpainted models all the time, because I HATE painting. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I used to be on the same side as those who said they don't like playing against unpainted models till I met a guy in my previous store. On the surface, he was just another guy that was playing with an unpainted army. However, as I played him I realised about half way through that when he held things his hands were shaking every slightly but constantly. After the game he was apologising for some slow play and mentioned that he has a condition where his hands shake uncontrollably in a minor, but  constant manner that affected his ability to hold things and thus he was more careful and slow moving his models.

It made me think back to some other people I know with far less obvious disabilities that would also be unable to paint, or at least paint regularly enough to get a full army done ever.

Who am I to decide that they are taking away from the hobby by not painting their minis. Am I going to demand that they announce to every opponent they have some kind of disability and just hope that no one makes fun of it (unfortunately the prevelance of 1d4chan humour shows ableism is common in the hobby).

Now I know the counter argument is "how would they even get the models made in the first place if they can't paint?". To that I say it's one thing to ask a friend to build some models for you as an occasional one off when you want to expand your army, it's another thing entirely to ask them to paint them all for you when they are likely busy with their own stuff. Paying for it often isn't an option for everyone either because that's expensive.

I'd far rather play an inclusive game where people of all abilities can feel welcome playing without getting attacked for things outside of their control by a group of elitist gatekeepers than one that has a bunch of painted models (even if the painted models one is far prettier on the surface).

  • Like 11

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Well, any rule has exceptions. As much as I like, "don't be a d**k, paint your $**t" as a principle, if I met someone whose mental health was dependant on hobby stuff (like mine is! ?) or who had a condition like shaking hands, I wouldn't insist on it. It's a hobby, not a cult.

Edited by Kirjava13
  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
17 minutes ago, Kirjava13 said:

Well, any rule has exceptions. As much as I like, "don't be a d**k, paint your $**t" as a principle, if I met someone whose mental health was dependant on hobby stuff (like mine is! ?) or who had a condition like shaking hands, I wouldn't insist on it. It's a hobby, not a cult.

Aaah I see you don’t know. Well come on over to the 40k side and let me introduce you to our Lord and Savior the God Emperor of Mankind :) 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
36 minutes ago, Yoshiya said:

I used to be on the same side as those who said they don't like playing against unpainted models till I met a guy in my previous store. On the surface, he was just another guy that was playing with an unpainted army. However, as I played him I realised about half way through that when he held things his hands were shaking every slightly but constantly. After the game he was apologising for some slow play and mentioned that he has a condition where his hands shake uncontrollably in a minor, but  constant manner that affected his ability to hold things and thus he was more careful and slow moving his models.

It made me think back to some other people I know with far less obvious disabilities that would also be unable to paint, or at least paint regularly enough to get a full army done ever.

Who am I to decide that they are taking away from the hobby by not painting their minis. Am I going to demand that they announce to every opponent they have some kind of disability and just hope that no one makes fun of it (unfortunately the prevelance of 1d4chan humour shows ableism is common in the hobby).

Now I know the counter argument is "how would they even get the models made in the first place if they can't paint?". To that I say it's one thing to ask a friend to build some models for you as an occasional one off when you want to expand your army, it's another thing entirely to ask them to paint them all for you when they are likely busy with their own stuff. Paying for it often isn't an option for everyone either because that's expensive.

I'd far rather play an inclusive game where people of all abilities can feel welcome playing without getting attacked for things outside of their control by a group of elitist gatekeepers than one that has a bunch of painted models (even if the painted models one is far prettier on the surface).

Dude, one of my good friend's brother has a very similar situation. An accident where it makes holding things in his dominant hand difficult and painting small details impossible. He loves to play and bought a large Nurgle army and kept apologizing for the unpainted models and how long it was taking to build them.

Luckily for him I love to paint so I offered to do them all for him over a week! Haha it was a pleasure for both of us.

On topic, I definitely have a few pet peeves at the table. I dislike cluttering up the table with dead models, books, tablets, etc. Makes the game far less immersive! I also dislike people who are constantly texting every time they go to check a warscroll on their phone... makes me want to buy them a book just to avoid that!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I won't be original ? Hard-to-read dice is my first choice, then putting extra cheese list in a casual play, especially with player new to the hobby. Is hard to go deep in the hobby, when your first game end on second turn by table :)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Oh here's a newish one - the Shotgun dice roller! Ergo the kind of person who plays an army with a lot of dice rolls and who also has a habit of spewing the dice all over the table when they roll - sending them in all directions! The result being some get missplaced, some fire off the table into the abyss, others bump into models etc...

 

The kind of person that dice-towers were invented for ;)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, Overread said:

Oh here's a newish one - the Shotgun dice roller! Ergo the kind of person who plays an army with a lot of dice rolls and who also has a habit of spewing the dice all over the table when they roll - sending them in all directions! The result being some get missplaced, some fire off the table into the abyss, others bump into models etc...

 

The kind of person that dice-towers were invented for ;)

 Why does this sound like the cheat-guide from mini wargaming?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
13 hours ago, ReynakZhen said:

I play with unpainted models all the time, because I HATE painting. 

Genuinely curious - not having a go - why play this game at all?

AoS is much, much more than just a game. It's a full hobby. The game itself is ... ok. Not great. Ok. You have so many options for gaming out there that are better pure games. Part of (a major part) the appeal in this game is the hobby stuff. If you are not into the hobby part, why choose this game?

Edited by Sleboda
  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, Sleboda said:

Genuinely curious - not having a go - why party this game at all?

AoS is much, much more than just a game. It's a full hobby. The game itself is ... ok. Not great. Ok. You have so many options for gaming out there that are better pure games. Part of (a major part) the appeal in this game is the hobby stuff. If you are not into the hobby part, why choose this game?

I mean, everyone gets into it for different reasons. You may think the game is just "ok" but others absolutely love it and may dislike other gaming systems for various reasons, even if you think they are objectively better systems. I hate painting as well, but I acknowledge it's part of it so I begrudgingly do it anyway and make the effort...which of course does not seem to be the case here.

As long as both parties don't care about playing with unpainted models then it isn't a big deal.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.


×
×
  • Create New...