What are your pet peeves at the gaming table?

TheWilddog

4 minutes ago, Aginor said:

- I always hate it when people come into my wargaming store shouting something religious, throwing bombs, shooting guns, and cutting the head off the store manager. It really ruins the atmosphere, except for the Khorne players.

Love It! ?

• Replies 183
  • Created
  • Last Reply
12 minutes ago, Aginor said:

EDIT: Another one is lying:
When I want to place my hero out of range of his shooting and I ask: "What's the movement and shooting range of that guy" so I can just move two more inches away, then I expect an honest answer, and not a dead unit of mine and the comment "your fault, you should have checked."  It is OK if they don't tell me that they can teleport if I haven't asked about that, but outright lying sucks.

LOL at your other comments but this one surprises me a little bit. I think I'm super laid back and would probably tell you if you asked but I dunno there's a tiny sliver of me that thinks well it's not my job in a war-game to stop you from doing something that might get your little models killed. 

If it was just a friendly game, or against someone learning then sure, but in a tournament I'm not so sure. After all where does that end, you could sit there and before every action quiz your opponent on every single trait, ability and stat his opponents have so you never do anything that puts you at risk.

Saying that warscrolls are also freely available so you could just pull up all his whilst he's setting up and have them ready to look through yourself, so maybe its not that much of a big (well small) deal.

Or, sorry maybe I'm getting this all wrong, is your problem if they tell you but outright lie?

The terms "waac" "hyper-competitive" and "netlist", because they are followed by excuses and bad sportsmanship.  

Declaring targets after dice rolls. (Like on a roll for each unit, 4+ does mw.). Right, you were obviously rolling for the unit in the middle first now that you got a 5.

My opponent not also being hung over.  No, I'm kidding.

Poor hygiene is a cumulative issue rather than a personal one, I've found. The local GW can get a bit... ripe, but that's the effect of dozens of adult men in a warm enclosed environment for up to four or five hours (plus!). If GW sprang for a bit of aircon instead of the manager having to have a complicated system of IKEA fans, it wouldn't be so bad!

3 hours ago, JPjr said:

LOL at your other comments but this one surprises me a little bit. I think I'm super laid back and would probably tell you if you asked but I dunno there's a tiny sliver of me that thinks well it's not my job in a war-game to stop you from doing something that might get your little models killed. 

If it was just a friendly game, or against someone learning then sure, but in a tournament I'm not so sure. After all where does that end, you could sit there and before every action quiz your opponent on every single trait, ability and stat his opponents have so you never do anything that puts you at risk.

Saying that warscrolls are also freely available so you could just pull up all his whilst he's setting up and have them ready to look through yourself, so maybe its not that much of a big (well small) deal.

Or, sorry maybe I'm getting this all wrong, is your problem if they tell you but outright lie?

I believe the complaint is like this:

A: Hey bud, what's the range on those archers?

B: 16".

A: OK, I'm going to stand here 18" away.

B: OK my turn now.  I shoot you with my archers.

A: Wait, I'm 18" away and you said the range was 16".

B: Yeah the range is actually 24".  Read a book, noob.

Players who cannot accept this is a game and we each approach it in a way we wish to enjoy it and come from different backgrounds.

Sometimes that means using an old warscroll with older points, using Tomb kings, being aware your opponent is focused on tournament play and will probably roll you and that's just all there is to it. 

2 minutes ago, Popisdead said:

Players who cannot accept this is a game and we each approach it in a way we wish to enjoy it and come from different backgrounds.

Sometimes that means using an old warscroll with older points, using Tomb kings, being aware your opponent is focused on tournament play and will probably roll you and that's just all there is to it. 

Failure to manage expectations.  So much in life fails because two parties expect something different from a transaction or interaction.

"Let's talk about our expectations for the day" is a great way to start a Warhammer game.

7 minutes ago, Popisdead said:

Sure is.  The more you talk as adults, the more you get a sense of your opponent. 

Yessir.  I can enjoy a fluffy narrative game, and I can also enjoy a hard as nails tournament game.  But I don't enjoy either one when I'm expecting/prepared for the other.

3 hours ago, jackmcmahon said:

The terms "waac" "hyper-competitive" and "netlist", because they are followed by excuses and bad sportsmanship.  

Declaring targets after dice rolls. (Like on a roll for each unit, 4+ does mw.). Right, you were obviously rolling for the unit in the middle first now that you got a 5.

My opponent not also being hung over.  No, I'm kidding.

That’s literally how the rules work though... it’s not 40k where you declare a target then roll for charging. 

You roll first to see how far your unit can go and then charge where you are able, if you are able... 

2 minutes ago, Ravinsild said:

That’s literally how the rules work though... it’s not 40k where you declare a target then roll for charging. 

You roll first to see how far your unit can go and then charge where you are able, if you are able... 

You declare targets for all of your attacks prior to rolling the dice for any attacks from a unit. 

It usually happens with abilities like stormcast comets, nurgle abilities, aoe spells, etc.  You can't just say " there are 5 units being hit I'll roll 5 dice then pick the (2.5ish) targets I want to hit." People never do it that obviously, but it is essentially what they are doing when they just wait til they get their first hit and say that's the one for the hero on one wound.

8 hours ago, Aginor said:

"Age of Skinkmar"

Ooooooo, that reminds me of another major annoyance of mine.

People trying to be cute and/or insulting with (not)clever names for things. Sigmarines. Captasus. Clown Car. Etc.

If you can't show a little respect for the game and the creative efforts of those who made it, I don't need you at my table.

Number 1 thing I hate with a passion are players who get salty when things are not going their way and will basically sulk for the entire game. This in a casual setting more than anything, we are there to have fun and roll some dice, it ultimately doesn't matter who wins or loses. 

my second hate is people who don't pay attention to the game, I will be in the middle of a game ready to roll some dice and have to repeat the players name 3 or 4 times because they decided to have a conversation with somebody nearby and ignore the game. 

Apart from that, I don't really have too many issues with playing games 

8 hours ago, JPjr said:

5 hours ago, amysrevenge said:

I believe the complaint is like this:

A: Hey bud, what's the range on those archers?

B: 16".

A: OK, I'm going to stand here 18" away.

B: OK my turn now.  I shoot you with my archers.

A: Wait, I'm 18" away and you said the range was 16".

B: Yeah the range is actually 24".  Read a book, noob.

Pretty much that.

If they don't answer, that's OK, I will look it up myself. But lying is just cheap.

Archived