What are your pet peeves at the gaming table?

TheWilddog

• Replies 183
  • Created
  • Last Reply
44 minutes ago, Satyrical Sophist said:

A lot of people mention the "picking up hits, not misses" thing. I do sometimes do that, is it still considered rude when hits are the minority? For example shooting with a 10 brimstones, you are rolling 20 dice and expecting about six hits. Even more so when you need actual sixes.

If you're hitting on 6s and its a large dice pool I don't mind but I'd prefer you separate them out as opposed to pick them up so that its still visible. 

51 minutes ago, Satyrical Sophist said:

A lot of people mention the "picking up hits, not misses" thing. I do sometimes do that, is it still considered rude when hits are the minority? For example shooting with a 10 brimstones, you are rolling 20 dice and expecting about six hits. Even more so when you need actual sixes.

I pick up misses and not hits that way if I ****** up its benefits them more than me.

3 hours ago, Satyrical Sophist said:

I tend to go back and forth depending on the situation, but most of the time I pick up misses. If I'm splitting attacks up (us skeletons like to poke a lot per turn!) I try to evenly split the number of attacks. When I miss I put those failed dice to the side and when I'm finished with the other dice I put the number of successful hits to the side (confirming with my opponent) then roll the same set of dice again for the second set. I do this so I don't have to grab more dice. It sounds complicated but in practice to works well for me and all the attacks I have to do each turn. 

On Facehammer they talked about how if you pick up the misses and leave the hits on the table, you can then go back and correct yourself if you realise that you forgot a buff or a malus to hit. If you've picked them up, you're left floundering with something like, "Well I think it was nine hits" or just rerolling them all again, but leave them on the table and you can more easily see which ones would still be hits.

On 10/23/2018 at 9:29 PM, Rob Hawkins said:

So I guess my real peeve is shops that don't have enough space, or the fact that there's so much extra paraphernalia required for the game.  Oh- also my endless spells waiting to be cast, and the list of extra realm spells (for the pile of extra stuff). 9_9

Under the table!

Under the table!

Down where you're feet go,

Move out the chairs bro,

Save your sanity!

Just be aware of where you step,

You don't want to crack your new mini set!

There's plenty of leg room,

As long as they vacuum, 

Under the table!

Lemme just crack open my Book of Minor Grudges here:

1. Leaning on the board: Where we play, we usually have a few people watch. One of them, a rather 'big' person, likes to lean across the board while they watch. If we ask them to move (which we have to, often...no exaggeration that they cover a good 10" of one side) they always sigh and shift a little. This person has actually BROKEN their own models before by leaning over them and crushing them, and I've had to rescue mine a few times from a similar fate. (this is not fat shaming at all, by the way, more 'lack of spatial awareness shaming')

2. Not knowing your own rules. Look, this game has a lot of moving parts, and no one could be expected to know EVERY rule and ability by heart. But if you tell me, three months of games later, that you've been doing something entirely wrong because you didn't read the war scroll more than once...I'm going to get grumpy. Obviously new players, new armies, etc, are all good excuses, but if you've been playing one list for a YEAR, there isn't really an excuse to suddenly say 'whoops turns out its only 1d6, not 1d6 per model. And I get to feel like a ****** for looking up their rules just to contradict them.

3. Not using updated scrolls/abilities. It seems logical but Ive had people be totally surprised that their Grand Alliance: Chaos book doesn't contain the most up-to-date scrolls. They have an app. IT'S FREE.

4. Over-celebrating: When you win, it's awesome and you want to be excited, I get that. But shouting and telling everyone how great you did isn't cool, bro. There used to be a guy that came to our local shop that, if he won, would spend the next hour telling other people how great he did. So much so that he would try to get people to play a game with him by telling them how badly he stomped the last guy, and he 'hopes they have a chance against him!". Big surprise, people stopped wanting to play him. (also his army was bull turds but that’s a different story).

5. "I don't ever glue arms on them, that way I can run them as whatever weapons I want."

28 minutes ago, Sleboda said:

Yeah. That.

I'm even opposed to magnetized parts. Get the darn models, already! (I know, I know.)

Huh, really?

I magnetize a lot, most people don't even notice. Never had anyone complain.

What I do dislike are badly magnetized models. Those that lose their weapons when you touch them or even just bump the table a bit. If you magnetize then do it right. :)

Magnets are a lifesaver for some armies - Tyranids mostly because of how most of their warrior or larger models are rather like tanks in that their equipment (arms) varies a lot - many of them can be anything from pure close combat to artilery dependingon what weapon you choose to take. So magnets become a huge life/budget saver (esp when new editions come out and some weapon choices change in what is best to take or even some combinations can become illegal to take in the rules )

53 minutes ago, Sleboda said:

Yeah. That.

I'm even opposed to magnetized parts. Get the darn models, already! (I know, I know.)

Magnetized parts seem entirely reasonable to me as long as they're well done. It seems unfair to ask someone to buy and paint the same unit twice just to be able to have a little flexibility in their weapon options.

41 minutes ago, Overread said:

Magnets are a lifesaver for some armies - Tyranids mostly because of how most of their warrior or larger models are rather like tanks in that their equipment (arms) varies a lot - many of them can be anything from pure close combat to artilery dependingon what weapon you choose to take. So magnets become a huge life/budget saver (esp when new editions come out and some weapon choices change in what is best to take or even some combinations can become illegal to take in the rules )

16 minutes ago, Orsino said:

Magnetized parts seem entirely reasonable to me as long as they're well done. It seems unfair to ask someone to buy and paint the same unit twice just to be able to have a little flexibility in their weapon options.

46 minutes ago, Aginor said:

Huh, really?

I magnetize a lot, most people don't even notice. Never had anyone complain.

What I do dislike are badly magnetized models. Those that lose their weapons when you touch them or even just bump the table a bit. If you magnetize then do it right. :)

Couldn't have said it better myself. I love to magnetize fora ll these reasons. Apart from all that it makes some models a lot easier to transport because you can break them up into pieces. In other cases magnets can be used to help secure finicky models. Case in point I recently bought a used Mortis Engine and it broke in three parts during shipping. Instead of just gluing them back I instead magnetized the three points of contact. A bit of green stuff and a day later and not only is my new Engine super steady and secure, but also easier to transport!

It's an old school thing for me that's tough to explain in this format.

I think it goes back to an old WD article from Nigel Stillman (maybe?). He, like me, would come up with an army idea. Colors, background, characters, magic items ... the whole thing. A fully formed theme and story for the army, right down to the names of unit champions.

You buy the models, do your conversions to get everything just right, paint every guy and detail their uniforms and items, you write up the story, and then create an epic saga of their deeds (or misdeeds) on the table over many games.

Garthak the Ravenous would bash heads with his trust great maul, The Basher of Heads. He was supported by two trusted captains, one of whom was a wizard with his every-useful Destroy Spell scroll. 

And so on.

One did not simply replace The Basher of Heads with a +2 Attack sword just because the next battle was against a horde army. Garthak fought with The Basher of Heads (and even askef it for advice now and again).

If you want a +2 Attack sword on your general, plan that in the next army.

I have had three distinctly different Tomb Kings armies (not counting the many Undead armies pre-TK). I have repeated skeleton units in each by buying a new unit, painting it in the scheme of that new army, and so on. I did not simply pop the blue skeletons into the red army (to simplify). I painted a new unit.

And here's the thing. If you wonder "Man, why would he go to all that effort to collect, assemble, convert, and paint things for the third time when he's got two units of the same thing already?" ... Well, all I can say is that it's not an effort, or a chore. Oh no! I get to do even more of the hobby stuff I love? Say it ain't so!

Plus, when it's all done, I can play games with THREE allied TK armies united to defend Nehekhara from that evil fiend Nagash!

Quick 40K example. I had individual, separate, complete chaos dreadnoughts with all possible arm combos, some repeated in different colors for different legions. ?‍♂️

Not everyone has that much time or money. And sometimes new editions invalidate some weapon loadouts. And going with 40k, when I play Blood Axes Ork army, my warboss knows something called "Taktikz" and will change his weapon (of course not in tournaments) accordingly to the situation.

9 minutes ago, Sleboda said:

It's an old school thing for me that's tough to explain in this format.

I think it goes back to an old WD article from Nigel Stillman (maybe?). He, like me, would come up with an army idea. Colors, background, characters, magic items ... the whole thing. A fully formed theme and story for the army, to right down to the names of unit champions.

You buy the models, do your conversions to get everything just right, paint every guy and detail their uniforms and items, you write up the story, and then create an epic saga of their deeds (or misdeeds) on the table over many games.

Garthak the Ravenous would bash heads with his trust great maul, The Basher of Heads. He was supported by two trust captains, one of whom was a wizard with his every-useful Destroy Spell scroll. 

And so on.

One did not simply replace The Basher of Heads with a +2 Attack sword just because the next battle was against a horde army. Garthak fought with The Basher of Heads (and even asks it for advice now and again).

If you wanted a +2 Attack sword in your general, plan that in the next army.

I have had three distinctly different Tomb Kings armies (not counting the many Undead armies pre-TK). I have repeated skeleton units in each by buying a new unit, painting it in the scheme of that new army, and so on. I did not simply pop the blue skeletons into the red army (to simplify). I painted a new unit.

And here's the thing. If you wonder "Man, why would he go to all that effort to collect, assemble, convert, and paint things for the third time when he's got two units of the same thing already?" ... Well, all I can say is that it's not an effort, or a chore. Oh no! I get to do even more of the hobby stuff I love? Say it ain't so!

Plus, when it's all done, I can play games with THREE allied TK armies united to defend Nehekhara from that evil fiend Nagash!

Quick 40K example. I had chaos dreadnoughts with all possible arm combos, some repeated in different colors for different legions. ?‍♂️

You're presenting a dichotomy that doesn't really exist. People can come up with a full theme and story for their army, convert them, paint every detail lovingly...and magnetise them.

You do you, if you want to own three of the same army that's your choice but you can't get annoyed at other people for not doing the same.

@Sleboda I've seen people do that with games like Necromunda, where an entire new gang might be only one box of models or a box and then a weapon pack from FW. It's less common in bigger armies purely for the cost and time elements. Plus most people want  different army for their second and third collection. 

That said old fantasy was far softer on new editions because mostly it was only lords/heroes that changed weapon options. The vast majority of other units never had alternate weapons or if they did they didn't need to be model changed. IT's 40K where there is a huge amount of variety on many models - Tyranids are just the best at it, but Imperails have lots of tank weapon options; marines and many rank and file infantry have wide ranges of weapon types. 

That said it must REALLY hurt you that TK got squatted out of AoS :( hopefully if GW does another marketing survey people like yourself (and indeed many gamers) can ask for GW to bring the TK back. 

27 minutes ago, Orsino said:

You're presenting a dichotomy that doesn't really exist. People can come up with a full theme and story for their army, convert them, paint every detail lovingly...and magnetise them.

You do you, if you want to own three of the same army that's your choice but you can't get annoyed at other people for not doing the same.

Well, clearly I can get annoyed. :)

I don't say anything to them, of course. It's just a preference.

As to the dichotomy, I think you missed my point. I'm saying that in Hoobatoob's Horde, the bone giant had a bow, not two swords. Swapping out to the swords would diminish the narrative veracity of the army, making it less Hoobatoob's Horde and more Generic Set of Rules Army That is About the Stats and Game and Not the Living Breathing Army in the Hobby.

Like I said, hard to explain right.

27 minutes ago, Overread said:

That said it must REALLY hurt you that TK got squatted out of AoS :(

Yer not kiddin'.

Literally tens of thousands of points of models, all lovingly painted, themed, etc. Now collecting dust. Fer chrissake, I think at last count I had something like 45 Ushabti - all of which are now just junk.

11 minutes ago, Sleboda said:

Yer not kiddin'.

Literally tens of thousands of points of models, all lovingly painted, themed, etc. Now collecting dust. Fer chrissake, I think at last count I had something like 45 Ushabti - all of which are now just junk.

set them all up for display then get a good camera/photographer friend to take some photos and emil GW - show them the love and support TK have in the world!

@Sleboda I think it was Jervis Johnson.  While I got his passion - that was a pretty extreme side of the bell curve of how people approach their hobby.  But I certainly agree with the unspoken but similar  philosophy that in most games with high randomness  like AoS you need several runs with an unchanged army list before you really know what is and isn't working in your list. 

Ushabti are still in demand for KoW and 9th Age players man. .  . maybe also a Khemri Blood Bowl team.   

Archived