What are your pet peeves at the gaming table?

TheWilddog

30 minutes ago, gjnoronh said:

@Sleboda I think it was Jervis Johnson.  While I got his passion - that was a pretty extreme side of the bell curve of how people approach their hobby.  But I certainly agree with the unspoken but similar  philosophy that in most games with high randomness  like AoS you need several runs with an unchanged army list before you really know what is and isn't working in your list. 

Ushabti are still in demand for KoW and 9th Age players man. .  . maybe also a Khemri Blood Bowl team.   

It was stillman. The article floated about on facebook just a few weeks ago. I really don't think it was an extreme side of the hobby. It was almost common practice during the middlehammer years, which is why white dwarf and fanatic magazine were flooded with those kind of articles. Magnetising only started getting popular in the past ten years or so. (Not saying that it was never done back then- it defiantly was, but not on the scale it is today and GW releasing magnet ready kits is a brand new concept)

Though I've never been bothered by people that magnetise, I'm totally into having one army and sticking with what you have. If I need a model with a different weapon load out then I'd rather buy a new model and paint a new one. I'm not opposed to using magnets for other things though- some of my epic scale terrain is magnetised so I can do things like open gates or remove bridges in game. But never weapons or arms. If something doesn't work then the model can always retire from battle and live comfortable on the shelf or it can be hacked up and repurposed (in the more extreme cases like rarer models)

• Replies 183
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I think one shift is that with metal models you could often break a join reasonably easily with superglue. Stick it in the freezer and wait for the glue to go brittle then carefully snap the arm off. Similarly you can strip metal really easily without any time worries (leave plastic or resins in some stripping solutions and they melt) and scrub them back to near clean. 

So in a way metal was very reusable at home- even now on ebay metal models command a respectable price when sold on. 

Plastic bonds are forever so it really is a case of hacking the arm off, which can be quite a bit of work in some cases, esp if you want it to look good.

Plus there's different attitudes of gamers that get marketed and shown off; at present there's a heavier competitive side showing up, whilst the modelling side is still very strong. There are loads of custom armies that are made and not done with magnets or suchlike. 

6 hours ago, Sleboda said:

Well, clearly I can get annoyed. :)

I don't say anything to them, of course. It's just a preference.

As to the dichotomy, I think you missed my point. I'm saying that in Hoobatoob's Horde, the bone giant had a bow, not two swords. Swapping out to the swords would diminish the narrative veracity of the army, making it less Hoobatoob's Horde and more Generic Set of Rules Army That is About the Stats and Game and Not the Living Breathing Army in the Hobby.

Like I said, hard to explain right.

I don't see how the "narrative veracity" of the army is affected. In the narrative is the bow superglued to the giant's hand? Is he incapable of putting down one weapon and picking up another as the situation demands the way characters in stories (and real people) usually do?

And even if the bow is superglued to his hand in the narrative you could just create a second narrative. Think of the black dragon model that can be ridden by either the sorceress or the dreadlord. You could have really cool specific back stories for both those characters but have them share a mount so you can swap them round as you wish.

On 10/17/2018 at 8:26 AM, Tropical Ghost General said:

Lots has already been covered by the others already.

But biggest peeves for me (from stuff not already listed) is people who count up with wound tracking. I don't know your army, I don't know what health all of your models have. By counting down, it shows what wounds remains, it is the only logical way to do it, if your 14 wound monster has lost 4 wounds have a 10 marker next to it, not a 4. I even had a tournament game where the players started by counting up and then halfway through decided to count down, I objected but they dismissed it and I swear that over the one turn when they decided to change how they were tracking their army's wounds, they magically gained about 450 wounds back. 

This does not work in Ironjawz when my Megaboss on Mawkrusha kills models and gains wounds (not heals them) and the profile drops down based on wounds taken, not wounds remaining - it's a small distinction, but it does actually have gameplay outcomes.

This is why I count number of wounds taken, rather than wounds remaining as doing it another way I could be cheating.

On 10/19/2018 at 6:03 AM, Sleboda said:

Genuinely curious - not having a go - why play this game at all?

AoS is much, much more than just a game. It's a full hobby. The game itself is ... ok. Not great. Ok. You have so many options for gaming out there that are better pure games. Part of (a major part) the appeal in this game is the hobby stuff. If you are not into the hobby part, why choose this game?

I enjoy the game aspect, the models aesthetics are amazing and I enjoy the lore. That is why I play the game. Plus most my friends play this game.

On 10/26/2018 at 2:50 PM, Sleboda said:

Yer not kiddin'.

Literally tens of thousands of points of models, all lovingly painted, themed, etc. Now collecting dust. Fer chrissake, I think at last count I had something like 45 Ushabti - all of which are now just junk.

Joe, you appreciate the modeling and painting of an army just as much (if not more) than the game play.  So at least it's not "wasted time" for you.  You've got beautiful display pieces that you worked really hard on and will enjoy forever.  Unfortunately, there are a lot of people out there to whom the models really are just  "junk"  without any rules (or even without great) rules. 

5 hours ago, Sleboda said:

That's true, Rob. My display cases are full and stand next to my gaming tables so that I can enjoy the models even if I'm not playing with them. 

Good point.

And, like me, you'll probably never sell them, because they mean more to you than just being "game pieces."  I've always said that I'd continue to paint models for my Legion of the Infernal Skull even if I stopped playing Warhammer. 

I still have some TK models that I'll get to someday, even knowing that there's no game to go with them, but for now, the models that I do use get the immediate attention.

On 10/26/2018 at 4:12 PM, RexHavoc said:

It was stillman. The article floated about on facebook just a few weeks ago. I really don't think it was an extreme side of the hobby. It was almost common practice during the middlehammer years, which is why white dwarf and fanatic magazine were flooded with those kind of articles. Magnetising only started getting popular in the past ten years or so. (Not saying that it was never done back then- it defiantly was, but not on the scale it is today and GW releasing magnet ready kits is a brand new concept)

Though I've never been bothered by people that magnetise, I'm totally into having one army and sticking with what you have. If I need a model with a different weapon load out then I'd rather buy a new model and paint a new one. I'm not opposed to using magnets for other things though- some of my epic scale terrain is magnetised so I can do things like open gates or remove bridges in game. But never weapons or arms. If something doesn't work then the model can always retire from battle and live comfortable on the shelf or it can be hacked up and repurposed (in the more extreme cases like rarer models)

Yeah but if we were talking about the same article - he would take the exact same army, units, magic weapons, etc and never change them.  Not just not changing the things magnets could allow you to adjust but event the upgrades you wouldn't normally feel necessary to model.  (though he recommended modeling them.)   

Magnetizing  weapons options was rarer back then but most people tweaked their lists pretty continuously in terms of unit sizes/magic items etc.    Heck for most players you were buying new toys from time to time as they came out or you had another birthday/christmas/pay day to add another cool unit to your collection.  

Article in question is linked to in the following threadhttp://www.bugmansbrewery.com/topic/46185-stillmania-and-the-true-spirit-of-wargaming/

I agree with some of his points others seem as I said on a pretty extreme end of the bell curve for the way most people played.   

Gary 

Archived