What are your pet peeves at the gaming table?

TheWilddog

Lots has already been covered by the others already.

But biggest peeves for me (from stuff not already listed) is people who count up with wound tracking. I don't know your army, I don't know what health all of your models have. By counting down, it shows what wounds remains, it is the only logical way to do it, if your 14 wound monster has lost 4 wounds have a 10 marker next to it, not a 4. I even had a tournament game where the players started by counting up and then halfway through decided to count down, I objected but they dismissed it and I swear that over the one turn when they decided to change how they were tracking their army's wounds, they magically gained about 450 wounds back. 

• Replies 183
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I agree with much of what has been said here, but my biggest pet peeve is saltiness at the table. This includes passive aggressive remarks about either army, getting heated when things don't go their way (not just a little annoyed, but usually in the form of a loud sigh and aggressively saying  "well great, now I've lost"), rules lawyering everything you do (regardless of how simple or minor the rule), giving up when anything bad happens... the list goes on. I've unfortunately found it quite common. 

Getting a little upset or downtrodden when a game isn't going well is understandable, but salitness often seems spiteful - like the person is determined that you'll feel as bad as they do.

4 minutes ago, Enoby said:

I agree with much of what has been said here, but my biggest pet peeve is saltiness at the table. This includes passive aggressive remarks about either army, getting heated when things don't go their way (not just a little annoyed, but usually in the form of a loud sigh and aggressively saying  "well great, now I've lost"), rules lawyering everything you do (regardless of how simple or minor the rule), giving up when anything bad happens... the list goes on. I've unfortunately found it quite common. 

Getting a little upset or downtrodden when a game isn't going well is understandable, but salitness often seems spiteful - like the person is determined that you'll feel as bad as they do.

Yo. This. A million times, this.

Players who enter the infamous "Scoop Phase" as soon as things start going against them.  Or who claim that everything in their army is under powered trash, and everything in your army is "bull****".....

It's like... Yeah, guy... your Stardrake is clearly underdog trash, and I'm the ****** for putting my Sourbreath Troggoths on the table. Message received. LOL

In no particular order:

1. Proxies & Models That Will Never Be Painted. If you can't bother to participate in the hobby, play Magic.

2. Hard-to-Read Dice. This could be color combos that are low contrast, dice that are very small, or dice with too many symbols instead of proper numbers or pips (as in most recent GW themed dice). Related to this is picking up your rolls before I've had a chance to see the results. The dice are a big part of the game, so please make it clear what they are showing.

3. The Gamer's Inch. Even in casual games, there are rules. If you need a 4+ to hit, you would not say your 3's are "close enough." If your Move is 6", you shouldn't expect your opponent to allow you to move 7" and call it "close enough." Look, I get it, in this game models are moved a bunch and may inadvertently get bumped or misplaced, but that does not mean it's ok to assume I'm ok with you competing a charge that can be demonstrated to be short when you measure at the time of the charge.

There was a guy at my previous store that I liked generally but he used to really annoy me by never measuring distances and just generally playing ~too~ quickly. Now I get that I'm on the slower side but this guy would just roll dice after dice to charges and then just move everything at once by eyeballing the distances. I'd have little time to work out what dice roll belonged to what unit and no time to object to charges I wasn't sure we're right.

Like I get that sometimes a distance is obvious. If you're clearly standing close to something and roll a 10" charge I understand not measuring it out. But when you're rolling 6" charges and you're only around 6" away i don't want to just trust you because you used to play 'guess the range'.

There’s probably only a couple of things of the top of my head. 

1. When people start backtracking their movement on their models, I understand taking it back once to maybe reevaluate your move but not multiple times, especially when they decide not to move at all but you know they’ve gained extra movement. 

2.  I’m only new to this game with probably three games under my belt, I was playing my friend and this guy who was really experienced came up and basically told my opponent how to pretty much table me during his turn. I get giving advice out etc but still..

I’ve only gotten annoyed once in a single game and it was by a Nighthaunt player making “spooky ghost noises” like the old “Oooooooooooh” moaning sound ghosts make, for every single miniature, every single time he moved them. Every time. 

Never again. 

1 hour ago, Badlander86 said:

Rolling mixed dice. It bothers the heck out of me to see an opponent roll handfuls of different colored dice. Partly because I don't think I can register all different pip colors, icons which are supposed to be 6 (or 1? or a mix of both?). 

Sorry but you’d probably hate playing against me then. I do this one a fair bit, I’ll declare “these attacks are aimed at your X unit and use these dice, and these other dice are against your Y unit”, etc..

19 minutes ago, Lior'Lec said:

Sorry but you’d probably hate playing against me then. I do this one a fair bit, I’ll declare “these attacks are aimed at your X unit and use these dice, and these other dice are against your Y unit”, etc..

If its like 3 to 6 dice, that's fine. But if its  like 30 to 40 dice, seriously? I get that a lot of the dice used have some mystical mumbo-jumbo powers but man is it ever an eye-sore.

@Badlander86 No, if memory serves right the most dice I’ve ever rolled at one time was around 27 (3 hurricane crossbows). I tend to stick to minimum size or minimum*two for my units. And even whenever i roll multiple attacks together I still resolve them one at a time (so “all red dice, then all blue dice” etc.). Now with that said, the two people I play with the most often don’t have any two dice that actually match so...

Speaking of dice rolling. A few years ago at Gencon playing Warhammer I was paired  with this guy who insisted on chucking his dice like a madman. I lost count of how many times one went flying off the table. The first couple times I admit it was entertaining but by the end of the match I was pretty done.   

1. Overly ambitious piling in. Its not suddenly having multiple bad combats occur, its the wasted effort to make decisions to engage at all and/or wasted time positioning my own models. 

2. Not reading your army's rules. New battletomes get released, friends by them, play, and discover they have lots of reading to do at the table. Backtracking is fine because of a poor decision but is not ok because you didn't understand the rules sitting in your own book. 

3. Hygiene. Cheesus.

Most importantly, ways to mitigate/avoid this for mental health, 1) Declare what you're doing at all times, obnoxiously so, to set expectations, especially against new opponents 2) Get excited by new armies and do some reading yourself. Talk about all the cool things in your opponents battletome. Its positive learning experience while also checking their knowledge beforehand 3) There's no real way to address hygiene in the moment. Addressing it at any stage of a game just makes the game feel stinky too.  I just politely decline future games when that person. Set yourself up for an enjoyable one. 

People handling my miniatures. I got a lot of metal stuff. And some people just bunch them up and hand them over. I can basically hear the chipping occur. All regular opponents know by now but occasionally forget and it just annoys the fun out of me. 

My friend organized a path to glory campaign with about 6 of us. I had a starting warband of a Freeguild General, 10 Greatswords, 10 gunners and 10 Guard, the lowest total points in the group (still beat LoN). Someone decided not to roll on the table because he couldn't be bothered (literally) to paint a unit of more than 3 models, so guess who rocked up with a Warlock Engineer and 6 Stormfiends with Warpfire Throwers?

The biggest one for me is bad communication.  We all lose focus during a game so it's critical to be as important as possible when doing something - point to the combat you're rolling for, announce what you need to hit/wound and re-rolls.  The same goes for handling models, ask before you pick a model up - or better yet "look with your eyes not with your hands" as my Mum always has said.

9 hours ago, Tropical Ghost General said:

But biggest peeves for me (from stuff not already listed) is people who count up with wound tracking. I don't know your army, I don't know what health all of your models have. By counting down, it shows what wounds remains, it is the only logical way to do it, if your 14 wound monster has lost 4 wounds have a 10 marker next to it, not a 4. I even had a tournament game where the players started by counting up and then halfway through decided to count down, I objected but they dismissed it and I swear that over the one turn when they decided to change how they were tracking their army's wounds, they magically gained about 450 wounds back. 

Sorry I'm a count upper in AoS and a downer in 40k.  Basically I match however the damage table on the warscroll/dataslate - but I do state how I record wounds when I put the first wound counter on and I've not changed for the past 2/3 years.  It's a debate I frequently have with a friend I play with and ultimately there's justification for both ways.

I have a few, but one is, and I appreciate this is me being a bit odd, being almost too sporting. If you table me in two turns, if I rolled a horrific number of 1s when I wanted 6s and 6s when I wanted 1s, if I failed to cast or dispel anything, if it all went right for you and wrong for me, I don't want to hear, "good game". It wasn't, I didn't enjoy myself and whilst I understand wanting to be polite, it feels like having my nose rubbed in it. Bleh.

Paying attention to the game too. It rubs me the wrong way if I need someone to make saves and they're off chatting to someone else.

Most of the time I'm really relaxed and chill about games, I swear! This just makes me sound like a grouch ? 

Mine is 100% moaning about dice, I don't mind the first few comments. You need a 6 for a charge, you fail it and fair enough you say "aww man I should of got that" and I'll throw you a "yeah that's unlucky man". You get that 2 or 3 more times but after that I just find it grating when people constantly speak about dice in a game. Mainly because it normally leads to comments like "aww man if If my dice weren't so bad I would be smashing this" which is REAL rude to any opponent. On top of that those sort of people will typically completely ignore the the 5 6's they roll in a row. 

It's a dice game and if your little cubes don't show the right numbers, deal with it it's purely random. That said I do enjoy winding people up that are getting whiny over dice it's a art I've perfected now. 

24 minutes ago, chord said:

I am literally shocked that poor hygiene is not #1 on everyone's list.  ?

Probably because for many that's not Warhammer-specific enough. It is just about regular human behaviour and being a decent person. I am not going to start that low.

Otherwise lists would look like this :
- I hate when people smash my miniatures with a hammer because they think that's OK to do
- I hate when people come to the GW store completely naked and throw ****** around.
- I always hate it when people come into my wargaming store shouting something religious, throwing bombs, shooting guns, and cutting the head off the store manager. It really ruins the atmosphere, except for the Khorne players.

Most of the stuff I would have said was said already, but this thread is pretty cool, because it makes me question my own behaviour.
For example I realize I probably shouldn't shout "MOOOOORGHAST" in a loud monster voice every time I move my Morghasts.

The other is the wound marker. For me it is obvious and natural that you should count the wounds UP and remove the model once the dice matches the wound characteristic. That comes from D&D where monsters and players can have temporary hit points. When they loseor gain them the stat changes, but not the dice showing their real wounds. When first seeing people count DOWN I was a bit puzzled. But as long as someone is consistent with it, I don't care.

I don't like to play passive-aggressive guys. I went to a small tournament with a 1k Shadowstrike list (yes, cheesy, but it was a _tournament_. And I didn't even play Rippers, but Terradons) and one of my opponent had a Stardrake, played it badly (overextending, and only killing a few Skinks in turn one), and I basically tabled him in one turn by killing the Stardrake and some other stuff.
That guy was cool about it, but _another_ player then spent a lot of time talking about how OP Seraphon are, and that AoS has ****** balance in "Age of Skinkmar" and he would never play such a cheese list. Then our next game was against each other. He had a Kharadron Clown Car list (pre-AoS2) that rolled right over me. I was fine with it. I failed to kill those guys fast enough and my list wasn't made for drawn-out battles. That's the risk you take with an alpha strike list. But he failed to see the irony in him playing the strongest possible list of his army while complaining about mine. He even went on complaining about me and my army after he beat me. Really strange person.

EDIT: Another one is lying:
When I want to place my hero out of range of his shooting and I ask: "What's the movement and shooting range of that guy" so I can just move two more inches away, then I expect an honest answer, and not a dead unit of mine and the comment "your fault, you should have checked."  It is OK if they don't tell me that they can teleport if I haven't asked about that, but outright lying sucks.

Some people have very low self esteem and make up for it by continually talking bad about other people. When it comes to hobbies they might talk down about your camera, your lens, your brand, your shoes, your army etc... It's basically them trying to cover their own issues by being aggressive toward others to put them down. 

Archived