Making Mortals Lists

Lucky Snake Eyes

Hey fellow heretics,

I'm a fulltime death player, part time slaves to darkness player and i've been interested in trying to make lists for the different chaos gods that don't involve daemons or their summoning mechanics. I know the 4 devoted armies all have a built in summoning mechanic via a points system and it feels like a waste not to use it but I like the idea of pure mortal armies. So am I missing out by avoiding daemons? Can i build a competitive list regardless of not using the summoning mechanics?

Khorne can spend their "Points" on things other than summoning so you don't feel like you're wasting them. They have decent non daemon lists like skullcrushers and can really boost slaves like Knights and Gorebeast Chariots.

Nurgle can get by pretty decently without daemons, unless you technically count Pusgoyle Blightlords as Daemons.

Tzeentch technically can go non daemon but it's also not really mortal either since they'll be using a lot of Tzaangors.

Slaanesh currently can't really go without spamming daemonettes and having a KOS around, but that's because they don't really have many slaanesh specific mortals (so they're running a lot of slaves to darkness).

Or at least these are the patterns I've seen.

For better or for worse, AOS Chaos doesn't have a hard line between mortal lists and daemon lists other than Battalions. I think in the end they are somewhat balanced to have both elements mix at some level. Even if it's just a Bloodstoker camping by some bloodletters!

3 hours ago, Lucky Snake Eyes said:

Hey fellow heretics,

I'm a fulltime death player, part time slaves to darkness player and i've been interested in trying to make lists for the different chaos gods that don't involve daemons or their summoning mechanics. I know the 4 devoted armies all have a built in summoning mechanic via a points system and it feels like a waste not to use it but I like the idea of pure mortal armies. So am I missing out by avoiding daemons? Can i build a competitive list regardless of not using the summoning mechanics?

Play for the great Horned Rat.

he is the most cunning of them all.

(and soon one of the strongest Yes-yes)

Anyways if your looking for an army which doesn’t really need any summoning and can buy themselve something else with the summoning points I’d go with Blades of khorne.

there your summoning points can also be used to automatically umbind any magic or to give your army a sort of buff.

Chaos Warriors are a bit like Blood Warriors, though less punchy. Heres a pretty basic 1k list that I think can work, though may lack the usual power of a full on khorne list.

Valkia

Bloodstoker

Slaughterpriest

5 Chaos Knights with Glaives (x2)

10 Chaos Warriors with Hand Weapons and Shields (x2)

6 minutes ago, kenshin620 said:

Chaos Warriors are a bit like Blood Warriors, though less punchy. Heres a pretty basic 1k list that I think can work, though may lack the usual power of a full on khorne list.

Valkia

Bloodstoker

Slaughterpriest

5 Chaos Knights with Glaives (x2)

10 Chaos Warriors with Hand Weapons and Shields (x2)

Well now i need to get a slaughterpriest. Actually a buddy of mine is dropping his bloodbound army to start a second 40k army, i might be able to grab his slaughterpriest.

On 10/16/2018 at 11:06 PM, Lucky Snake Eyes said:

Would slaves to darkness units fair well as the bulk of a khorne list?

I really think so, but it would play a little less aggressively, and you definitely still need the Bloodbound support characters.

I use quite a few Slaves myself (Chaos Lord on Daemonic Mount, Knights, Warshrine, Marauders) and I love them heaps.

Archived