Making Soup

Some times I have the feeling that the "soup" battletomes are sort of a double-edged sword. It's true, that many of the are quite small (or maybe too small), but combining them in a soup book instead of giving them more units has partly the result, that the subfactions kind of loose there thematic identity. So instead of a themed army it will result in soup or in worst case, that instead of multiple themed units perhaps lists could be created having one big blob of the themed unit combined with cheap units filling the other battlelines, with the only restriction, that the general has to be a certain model.

10 hours ago, Orsino said:

If we accept that "Light Aelves" and "Shadow Aelves" are coming wouldn't it make sense to include the former High Aelves in the Light Aelves faction and the former Dark Aelves in the Shadow Aelves faction?

I think there was a point why the "Highborn" and "Exile" Keywords were removed (sort of bring the old classification back with the Alliance Rules). Having the factions not purely connected to one type of Aelfrace gives the Age of Sigmar Realms far more possiblilites in creating additional races.

Maybe it's a quirk of my, but I'm one of the people making Fyreaelfs and Frostaelfs. And I wouldn't say that things like Lion Rangers, Phoenix Temple, Swift Hawk Agents, Eldritch Council and Order Draconis aren't Light Aelves only as well as Scourge Privateers, Darkling Covens or Order Serpentis  aren't Shadowaelfs only and instead could be part of nearly every created aelf culture (Phoenix Temple with Frostaelfs only including Frost Phoenix and Fyreaelfs with only using Fyrephoenix as one of the best examples). Binding the factions to a race could be more harmful than helpful.

7 hours ago, EMMachine said:

Some times I have the feeling that the "soup" battletomes are sort of a double-edged sword. It's true, that many of the are quite small (or maybe too small), but combining them in a soup book instead of giving them more units has partly the result, that the subfactions kind of loose there thematic identity. 

I think in addition to soup, we're making lemonade here - given the lemon of "there will never ever ever ever again be a new model for Dispossessed or Phoenix Temple of Darkling Covens or...", we would like to make the lemonade of a soup book (mm, lemonade soup).  The alternative choice is not new books for everyone, the alternative choice is for the lines to go away entirely.

Given the choice between Dispossessed disappearing entirely, versus Dispossessed being subsumed into a Free City soup book, I'd pick the latter (even though in my heart the best choice would be a full Dispossessed battletome, I recognize that that ain't happening).

1 hour ago, amysrevenge said:

I think in addition to soup, we're making lemonade here - given the lemon of "there will never ever ever ever again be a new model for Dispossessed or Phoenix Temple of Darkling Covens or...", we would like to make the lemonade of a soup book (mm, lemonade soup).  The alternative choice is not new books for everyone, the alternative choice is for the lines to go away entirely.

Given the choice between Dispossessed disappearing entirely, versus Dispossessed being subsumed into a Free City soup book, I'd pick the latter (even though in my heart the best choice would be a full Dispossessed battletome, I recognize that that ain't happening).

Oh ye of little faith! ?

I could totally see a Dispossessed battletome coming out eventually.  The current range is all plastic (and quite nice to boot), and the alligence abilities and artifacts they have in the GHB is decent and fluffy.  You expand on that, add a few new units (more characters, the ‘traditional’ artillery, a new Anvil Of Doom, Golems etc) and create faction rules based on famous clans and hey presto, a third Duardin faction.  

And I say that this is totally worth it.  The other two could use a ‘bench mark’ to compare themselves to, and I know a few people who still want to collect classic dwarves.  Myself, for one.

42 minutes ago, Kirjava13 said:

I don't know if "Dispossessed" is really copyrightable in the same way "Idoneth Deepkin" are, though...

Why not isn’t the book of grudges and the beardthings grumbling, a Gw made theme??

sure all of them have beards and are rather small (which are literally almost all dwarfs in any game/story etc.)

But it’s better to keep them in some sort of a place.

im sure that nobody would be interested to play a faction called duardin which are now tall as an Aelve and have losed their beards.

that would be heresy?

Keyword names doesn't have to be faction names. Khorne faction is now called "Blades of Khorne" even when mortals have  "Bloodbound" keyword. They could call Dispossessed battletome "Khazalid Empires" and Wanderers "Deepwood Guardians" and job's done.

1 hour ago, michu said:

Keyword names doesn't have to be faction names. Khorne faction is now called "Blades of Khorne" even when mortals have  "Bloodbound" keyword. They could call Dispossessed battletome "Khazalid Empires" and Wanderers "Deepwood Guardians" and job's done.

This!  See, completely doable!

As the Duardin are the ones raising the new cities, a potential Dispossessed book should probably focus on the builder aspect of their fluff.  Rules and possibly even models reflecting tunnellers, miners, fortifications, engineers and so forth.  Plus, I can imagine Duardin clans out looking for new places to live, so rangers could be a thing too.

Archived