Looking for a good Beasts of chaos colour scheme

AquaticBoar

Hey everyone, first post here. I recently switched back to AoS after collecting 40k for a while. I picked up a box of gors and I'm really looking forward to painting them. But I'm really stuck on finding a good colour scheme. I'm also not sure on which goes they should worship, and how the colours should portray this. I understand the battletome could explain some of this but I can't quite afford it right now! Just looking for a bit of guidance from you all, thanks!

There are loods of pictures on the internet that could inspire a color scheme. Check out the work of others on instagram, pinterest, Google or on galeries on sites like these. 

Generally the chaos Gods are associated with these colours: Khorne=red and brass. Tzeentch=blue and schifting colors, also pink. Nurgle=mostly green, but also Browns (anything rotten). Slaanesh=purple. But you don’t have to go with these colors to represent a God. I like to use a lot of gold for slaanesh as he also is a God of decadence and I’ve seen awesome yellow armour on khorne warriors. 

I’d advice finding something you think looks awesome and enjoy to paint. 

• 2 weeks later...

I'd like to revive this thread as my two start collecting boxes of beasts have arrived. 

In particular, I'm looking for a very fast and easy paint scheme, as I'm not only slow in painting but also lack any skill or even enjoyment in the process. I just do it from time to time cause I feel I have to. If I would have the money, I'd even pay someone to do it...

So I'm naturally attracted to schemes that play well with the base coat color. Ideally, it should be a color that accepts washes well (I typically just spray the model, paint some details with 2-4 colors and wash it completely with nuln oil, followed by a Drybrushing with a color a little lighter than the base color). 

I thought about the black scheme as shown in this thread, but don't know how. Spraying it back will eliminate the most effect of using the wash... So my fear is the models will look dull and ... lifeless? 

I like the look of the white skin but using very light spray colors is something I really dislike as you have to reach any part of a model while painting, otherwise the base color will shine through... 

Do you have any ideas for painting schemes that help me? Google image search wasn't particularly helpful in this case :( 

@Myzyrael    I’m no expert, but if I were trying for something easy but similar to that dark skin tone I’d probably start with Army Painter’s Uniform Grey spray primer. Give it one wash of Nuln Oil to darken it down then edge highlight or dry brush with with pallid wytch Flesh (or a grey if you prefer). Paint base colors on any additional details you want next then follow it all with a second very light wash/glaze of nuln oil and highlight details as desired. 

The same basic effects with a brown tone could be achieved using Army Painter’s Leather Brown and/or Fur Browns as your base coats, Agrax Earthshade for the washes, and various oranges, reds, and browns for the highlights. Actually may try this myself just to test it out. If it looks good I may end up adding another army to my current projects. 

Archived