Getting my feet wet

12punch

Hey guys, I am thinking of stepping into Destruction. I don't want to do Orruks so it leaves me with a few options. Beastclaw Raiders have a really nice Start Collecting box that you kind of just buy over and over again until you have like three to four of the big guys. Gutbusters don't have the same box but they do have a new kit for their main battle line and I'm told they're pretty stand up in a fight. 

I am having trouble deciding which to buy. For the record I don't mind playing armies without a Codex as my main army right now is pure Soulblight running like 3 to 4 Blood knights as Battleline. So I suppose my question is ultimately, is it worth investing BCR's right now or even Gutbusters? Or am I better off waiting at this point, is there any rumblings of something new down the line for either of the two factions that I should hold off on buying into them at the moment. More over I am not looking for a competitive army, I want something fun to play with that has a lot of cool thematic things. So really, I need help picking my second army and Destruction is calling my name.

So couple of questions first.

• When you say you don't want to do Orruks, do you mean Orruks or Anything Green?
  • Are Grots fine or do they count as the Anything Green?
  • Have you seen the new Moonclan stuff which has been teased?
  • What is it that you want from the army thematically?
  • What is it you want from the army hobby wise? (When I came back my two points were "Not Horde" and "Robust Models", so obv not skeles)
  • Are there any destruction models that you really just want?
  • What is your local Meta like? this is important because it's not going to be fun if you are getting constantly ****** on.
  • Are Troggoths an option?
  • Are forgeworld models an option? If so are there any you really like (or don't like) the look of?
  • Have you had a play on Warscroll Builder to see what you actually fit in a list?
  • As an addition to the above, Gutbuster Ogors are actually generic Destruction battleline! This is a totally viable List! 
    Spoiler

Allegiance: Destruction

Leaders
    Tyrant (160)
    - General
    - Massive Ogor Club
    Butcher (140)
    Butcher (140)
    Huskard on Thundertusk (360)
    - Blood Vulture
    Huskard on Thundertusk (360)
    - Blood Vulture

Battleline
    12 x Ogors (400)
    - Pairs of Ogor Clubs or Blades
    3 x Ogors (120)
    3 x Ogors (120)

Units
    4 x Frost Sabres (80)
    4 x Frost Sabres (80)
    2 x Frost Sabres (40)

Total: 2000 / 2000
    Extra Command Points: 0
    Allies: 0 / 400
    Wounds: 138

I hope you can see how these questions are important, but also the thought process that's going into them. If you have any other thoughts or ideas that aren't covered by these questions then absolutely include them, the more info you can give the better the response we can give.

So I will answer each of these

1) The only reason I say no Orruks is more of a No Ironjaws as my brother plays Ironjaws and I don't want to step on his toes.

2) Grots are fine

3) I saw the Shadespire stuff but nothing else. If Moonclan is becoming an option I will add them to the list.

4) So I run a most cavalry army. I wanted something destruction wise. That screams "I break stuff cause it's fun to do."

5) I like armies that are fun to put together, honestly the assembly is part of the fun for me, I also enjoy painting but there is too many small details I get bogged down and just sort of lose interest. Like I couldn't bring myself to highlight each and every skull in Neferata's model.

6) My local meta is Nighthaunts and Stormcasts. Well really Death and Stormcast.

7) Troggoths are an option.

8 - Forgeworld is ultimately fine, I've just never done anything with Resin

9) I play with Azyr on a daily basis just making different lists.

10) The Gutbusters are general battleline and that's pretty cool.

I do see how the questions are important and I am now curious about the Moonclan teases.

So obviously the Shadespire band you saw

WHUWZarbagsGits-Oct03-ZarbagMinis-15bf.j

NovaReveals-Aug29-WHUWSquig5ntz.jpg

CitadelSeminar-Aug25-Troggoth-3lq.jpg

So combined with the fungoid shaman there is a pretty strong thematic for an upcoming Moonclan Book. We've been waiting for it for a while and rumour has it that it switch slots with the Beasts of Chaos book. That said we don't have a date yet so it could be after the new year or next feb time....

On the specifics of Gutbusters vs Beastclaw I'm honestly not knowledgeable. I would suggest if you don't want to wait for Moonclan then a mixed destruction army is a good place to start. Not only are grot mobs the best destruction armies at the moment but it gives you the flexibility to play whatever you want. In addition pure beastclaw is pretty bad right now, they have trouble with model count and the allegiance isn't that good (@heywoah_twitch is the person I always think of when it comes to beastclaw.

2 hours ago, 12punch said:

So what you're saying is heavy Moonclan Grots is the way to go at the moment for Destruction?

Well Moonclan grots do have a high chance of getting a battletome sooner or later, but it really depends which army’s fits you the best.

if you don’t really like their look their play style etc. I would just stick with a different faction, even if it means that the competitiveness of your army is way down.

Ps: if your interested in the skaven race, call me ?

4 hours ago, Skreech Verminking said:

Ps: if your interested in the skaven race, call me ?

I tried Skaven! But I didn't enjoying painting Pestiliens they just sort of bogged me down and I was like "I have made at least one mistake here." So I have a drawer with 40 Plague Monks just sorta chilling.

18 minutes ago, 12punch said:

I tried Skaven! But I didn't enjoying painting Pestiliens they just sort of bogged me down and I was like "I have made at least one mistake here." So I have a drawer with 40 Plague Monks just sorta chilling.

Ever tried mixed skaven?

they are better than traitor-things.

Note: not in the competitive side but fluff wise better and great 

So in all honesty, I am at a crossroads with what faction to play. I have a death army, it's not competitive but fluff wise it's loads of fun. I've got some Nurgle, a smidge of Slaanesh, and in the end what I want is an army that I can run that feels different from everything I currently play. I play mostly Elite Armies. I mean when my Battleline for my Soulblight army is Blood Knights. I've never really run a horde army. 

I decided Destruction could be a fun way to do that, is it the best way to do it? I don't know. I honestly am not sure what would be a solid choice to collect, paint, and play. Moonclan Grots are hilarious and nothing sounds more entertaining than throw Surprise Fanatics at people when they try to charge me. However, the actual grots are old models to my understanding and I'm not sure their quality all things considered. Savage Orruks look silly, and I don't even know if the Bonesplitters are worth the sand you base them with. Beastclaw Raiders are like an old friend to me, I used to have an Ogre Kingdoms army back in the days of wheeling 1 inch. However their current trials and tribulations make me second guess them. Plus I feel like I would just be playing another super elite army that gets it's face kicked in. Gutbusters look fun too, but their leaders are all finecast and honestly need some help.

So you can see where I am at an impasse. I want a horde! I want to drown my enemies in bodies like I'm some kind of Cadian Commander. I am just super not sure what direction I want to go.

49 minutes ago, 12punch said:

So in all honesty, I am at a crossroads with what faction to play. I have a death army, it's not competitive but fluff wise it's loads of fun. I've got some Nurgle, a smidge of Slaanesh, and in the end what I want is an army that I can run that feels different from everything I currently play. I play mostly Elite Armies. I mean when my Battleline for my Soulblight army is Blood Knights. I've never really run a horde army. 

I decided Destruction could be a fun way to do that, is it the best way to do it? I don't know. I honestly am not sure what would be a solid choice to collect, paint, and play. Moonclan Grots are hilarious and nothing sounds more entertaining than throw Surprise Fanatics at people when they try to charge me. However, the actual grots are old models to my understanding and I'm not sure their quality all things considered. Savage Orruks look silly, and I don't even know if the Bonesplitters are worth the sand you base them with. Beastclaw Raiders are like an old friend to me, I used to have an Ogre Kingdoms army back in the days of wheeling 1 inch. However their current trials and tribulations make me second guess them. Plus I feel like I would just be playing another super elite army that gets it's face kicked in. Gutbusters look fun too, but their leaders are all finecast and honestly need some help.

So you can see where I am at an impasse. I want a horde! I want to drown my enemies in bodies like I'm some kind of Cadian Commander. I am just super not sure what direction I want to go.

Ok this actually makes it super easy. Right now the only allegiances which are arguably worth taking are Ironjawz and Bonesplitterz.  Mixed destruction is the way to go .Grots are fantastic battleline, all forms. There's a bunch of great hero options and choices across the range and we have a wide range of great monsters.

You don't want finecast, that's ok you don't need them for mixed destruction. Personal opinion, don't go for Moonclan right now, you don't need them to get a functioning force and at some point over the next year they will be getting an update with and probably have their entire range updated. Where do we go from here? 

Clearly you're a thematic person more than a power-gamer so I think establishing a theme for the army is a great way to start off, so lets do that. Throughout the thread there's been a few things which I've noticed/picked up on.

• Ogors, You started out with a desire to go for Ogors, you've reiterated it all the way through. 
  • Horde. This is something from your latest post but also earlier you said you grots would be good aswell. 

This is super condensed but it gives me what I need to set a theme for how to start your path of destruction through the realms. A force of huge hungry ogors with a swarm of grots running ahead and around them. A new take on the old armies of Grots and Giants.

I said that you should probably steer clear of moonclan for now but that's easy to do with Ogors being battleline. So where to start, here's an easy list for you.

Allegiance: Destruction
Mortal Realm: Aqshy

Leaders
Huskard on Stonehorn (340)
- General
- Blood Vulture
- Trait: Bellowing Tyrant
- Artefact: Thermalrider Cloak 
Gitmob Grot Shaman (80)

Battleline
60 x Gitmob Grots (270)
- Bows & Slashas
6 x Ogors (240)

Total: 930 / 1000
Extra Command Points: 1
Wounds: 100

Lets just quickly go over what this list gives you.

1. Flying Stonehorn!
  2. One big block of hungry meat, 240 points 24 wounds with 19 attacks at damage 2!
  3. Bellowing tyrant to give Bravery 8 grots, that's right, grots with better bravery than Liberators!
  4. A mediocre wizard with a Godly spell

The gitmob combo is a staple of destruction, before AoS2 I would regularly try to fit it into my IJ list. The Grot bows look pretty bad on their own, 5+/5+/-/1 with a 16" range. However there are two key things which make this unit terrifying. Firstly is the fact they get a bonus to hit as there are more than the, importantly this applies to all weapons! 

61 shots at 3+/5+/-/1 is far more tasty but it gets better. The gitmob shaman spell "sneaky stabbin' not only gives a gitmob +1 to wound, it also increases the rend of their weapons by -1.

Suddenly that's 61 shots at 3+/4+/-1/-1 all for 350 points!

This gives you a good taste for the two different aspects you were looking at, you get both the beafy Ogors and can also try out the grot swarm. More over it's got good room for expansion and forms a nice solid base for any mixed destruction. Best part is that it's all in plastic. Hope this was helpful!

I know you said that Orruks aren't your thing but have you considered the multi Waagh!? Staying away from IJ the bonesplitterz at a great option for this. Allie in an Orruk Warboss, put him on a boar, get a couple of extra command points and watch you Boarboy maniaks explode that unit with all those extra attacks and their double pile in.

Also if you in the mood for a glass cannon have you thought about Spiderfang? Elite-ish for Grots, so not too much hobby fatigue. When buffed by the Arcknarock's spell and big boss's command ability they can make units disappear in a hail of mortal wounds. They do have a tendancy to melt to battle shock and they are not the most durable unit in the game but its all worth it for the time you roll all those 6's.   

So I do appreciate all the advice you guys have given me!

I think for now what I feel comfortable with is waiting and seeing what they release in terms of Moonclan Grots and Gutbusters. Once they have Battletome's I'm going to hit them up and see what fun I can strangle out of them. Bonesplitters are also a fun choice, plus I mean they could be a super quick paint job! Prime Green, Shade, Highlight Basically done!

Archived