Eyes of the nine

Red Drake

Is anyone thinking about this warband yet? I’ve noticed there’s a let’s chat on the grots but not these guys. 

What do people thing this warband will be like? What cards seem good for them?

I already play a very defensive SG deck. Will these guys play well being very aggressive?

I hate to say it, but they look really fragile. They have the least starting wounds of any warband, albeit they can summon a model through an action. 

Bu they just have mediocre defense stats, and that combined with so few wounds, it just doesn't look good in my mind. They'll have to have some pretty great cards available, and even then they just seen paper thin and they don't even hit very hard in combat. 

Don't get me wrong, they look really cool and interesting. I want them to work well, it's just starting with 4 models and so few wounds sounds is scary. 

I do really like the idea of summoning a blue horror on any starting hex, and then the fact that that model is a chore to get rid of because you have to kill it twice. That could be really annoying to deal with. 

I also really like the idea of a 3 damage spell slinger. 

I get the feeling that movement shenanigans may very well end up being the name of the game for this warband. The swap two fighters within 3 hexes of each other (Bound by Fate) card for example has some serious potential in my mind for charging in a horror and then swapping it out with K'charik, if you can setup the proper spacing. 

Deceitful step also seems to play into that theme of movement shenanigans. A more flexible if a little bit unpredictable illusory fighter seems really fun. 

Hopefully this all comes together to allow them to make some relatively "safe" attacks without exposing themselves too much. All bets are off though against Aggro skaven and bloodreavers.

47 minutes ago, Red Drake said:

I just can’t wait to see the cards in that pack and the goblin pack

This a hundred times over.

@Skyeline I think you’ve got it backward: you want to charge in with K’Charik and swap him back with a horror, which can then get turned into a pink horror who is now providing an assist for a ranged attack from an acolyte three hexes away, which now inspires the acolyte, etc. 

Anyway, I agree that their faction-specific cards will be key. 

• Like 2

@Tutenkharnage Not necessarily backwards. If you're not worried about the prospect of taking a lethal return hit, leaving a 3 damage fighter available for a charge or a move can be very useful. I'd also considered the usage in the other direction like you mentioned, as the blue horror does seriously seem to open up some really cool opportunities. Having to eat up an extra action just to kill the damn thing is going to be incredibly frustrating.

Really this just highlights the flexibility of that card! Mere days away now..

• Like 1

the new universal objectives in this 3 new expansions (eyes of the 9, gitz, echoes of glory) will change the game. now strategies different from "killing everything with a 4 dmg attack" are seriously avaiable again without focusing on grab objectives token. really good expansions. 

in my opinion from now it will start again to see decks as SG as there are so many valid objectivess that do not involve the killing of models.

Great concussion will cease to be the terror of control decks

I actually think the Horror -> Brimstone mechanic will be very useful for tying up enemy activations/actions without giving up too much glory (it appears that you don't lose the glory when the Brimstone is put on the board). So against super killy teams, they'll have to utilise a minimum of 2 actions to get a glory, which has the potential to be really good.

• Like 2

4 hours ago, Anthony225 said:

So how does deathly fortitude work with the blue/brimstone horrors? To me it looks like when the "5" wound blue horror dies, you it flips over and turns into a "3" wound brimstone horror. Seems like a great way to have them stick around extra long and be super irritating.

I put Deadly Fortitude and Sudden Growth once on Horror. It was fun, cuz i summoned him in center of my enemy board. Stationary gun that was pushing Cursbreakers around :)

So i'm trying to figure out making eyes of nine work. I won't be on the ground playing to much until like maybe two weeks from now. That said i want to start some science and get some opinions. 

Now having played the wizard stormcast and a lot during the shadespire days (way back when you know??). As i look at this warband i see a leader who is the main event for the force. 

The leader is so vital as he does really nice damage, score a good handful of every easy objectives, required to inspire a member of the warband, and is required to summon another.  we are also very question with alot of dodge dice, but low wounds. going around being brave and standing on objectives seems unsafe and might be pretty short lived?? plus we are down action economy thanks to summoning the blue horror so we want every action to matter. 

Teamwise:
the tzangor will be hoping to spawn near the leader, and likely you will want to employ alot of spell cards to inspire him as he is a VERY powerful model when inspires with his inspired reroll making him a kill tastic card as 2 dice rerolling is very likely to make it through. 

The blue horror also changes your action economy unlike other revive mechanics this one is actualy worth doing in most situations. Like skaven you can spawn any where, but unlike skaven or skeletons this guy requires ~2 enemy actions to take out.  I'm not sure if his summon twice objective is worth taking or not. On one hand it's an easy one to use, however if your opponent suspects you are using it he is easy to ignore. Upgrade wise he really can't get a lot of serious damage in.  Upgrade wise he can run kataphrane cards like the tomes or relics if you were so inclined as he can be brought back. Allowing another option for victory. He ties well again with the kataphrane objective card as the holder of tomes and he works well as a  key holder. 

The acolytes have very poor action economy. Realistically i see them almost exclusively used to charge, potentially doing damage, but more for a support or just to get into a good position. Out side of this i suspect they will be used as rook for bound by fate to swap places for your leader.  i also see chosen by destiny to be popular as it won't be too difficult to score this. Inspiring these guys i think should not be any sort of priority, but more just something that happens as a plus.  If you were to use them they could do throw away weapons like shadeglass hammer or something.

Objectives faction:
again kataphrane acolyte of katophrane seems very realistic with the blue horror/brimstone

eyes of the master seems doable with the brimstone but not sure if it's worth taking??

Summoner as said before is weird. If they know you have it, it seems pretty dead, but if your taking something like eyes of the master you can kill multiple stones getting both of these off. 

Simarily, chosen by destiny is the same sort of this as above.

rising inferno, agents of change, and master of magic are almost the same cards and are auto includes, and might be the point go going tzneetch,

Other objectives i'm meh on??

ploy cards:

Blessing of tzeentch is as good as you can get for instance works well with piercing bolt to make it an auto hitting attack for that round. Is as good as channel source spells as you have in your ploy deck. Might not take it unless i have 5 or more cards that want a channel

bound by fate is great helps keep your king alive by doing the chess castle move to get away or to get into range for a quick spell.  I think with the long range any amount of movement cheese should get you in range to launch attacks with out needing to commit to a charge move. 

Deceitful step is the sane as above.

wracking charge is a spell that does damage to anyone, great for getting over damage hurtles.  need and innate channe lto be reliable see blessing of tzneetch. Also goes with objectives of casting lots of spells.

shield of fate is reliable to get off and keeps your leader alive.

Ravenous flames not amazing, but it's easy and does damage. 

Those are my thoughts and many might be wrong. What do you folks think??

5 hours ago, mmimzie said:

Objectives faction:
again kataphrane acolyte of katophrane seems very realistic with the blue horror/brimstone

eyes of the master seems doable with the brimstone but not sure if it's worth taking??

Summoner as said before is weird. If they know you have it, it seems pretty dead, but if your taking something like eyes of the master you can kill multiple stones getting both of these off. 

Simarily, chosen by destiny is the same sort of this as above.

rising inferno, agents of change, and master of magic are almost the same cards and are auto includes, and might be the point go going tzneetch,

Other objectives i'm meh on??

ploy cards:

Blessing of tzeentch is as good as you can get for instance works well with piercing bolt to make it an auto hitting attack for that round. Is as good as channel source spells as you have in your ploy deck. Might not take it unless i have 5 or more cards that want a channel

bound by fate is great helps keep your king alive by doing the chess castle move to get away or to get into range for a quick spell.  I think with the long range any amount of movement cheese should get you in range to launch attacks with out needing to commit to a charge move. 

Deceitful step is the sane as above.

wracking charge is a spell that does damage to anyone, great for getting over damage hurtles.  need and innate channe lto be reliable see blessing of tzneetch. Also goes with objectives of casting lots of spells.

shield of fate is reliable to get off and keeps your leader alive.

Ravenous flames not amazing, but it's easy and does damage. 

Those are my thoughts and many might be wrong. What do you folks think??

I'm still testing Eyes of the Nine, but few my thoughts:

1. Katahprane strategy - can be really good, but not yet. We need to wait for more Tomes.

2. eyes of the master - for me its bad card. End step, one glory. There are a lot of cards that give you that same but are a lot easier and reliable to do. Not worth

3. Summoner - I tested it a lot and for me its worst then it looks at first. You need to have it on hand when you summon Horror 2nd (or more) time. It give one glory, so not worth. Even if i summoned horror more than once, i never had it on hand when i did it. In around 20 games with it i NEVER did it. You will need offen to wait with summoning Horror and wait for that card first.

4. chosen by destiny - One glory, end step on objective that you don't have control to do it? Just take Fired Up or something like this. Not worth.

5. rising inferno, agents of change, and master of magic - I play only with Master of Magic. I tried all of them. First two are just two hard to do for reward you will get. For inferno we need more good damaging spells, for agent we need more easy to cast spells that are worth to put in deck. Ofc, maybe you will play on more spells and it will be easier, but i will stick with only Master of Magic, cuz you need one gambit spell and one attack (or two attacks) to do it and its immediately.

6. Blessing of tzeentch - it give just +1 succes to your lider attack. You have Innate on your next activation, so it doesnt work on gambit spells (cuz you don't play them on activation). It work on leader attack or spells that are upgrades and works like actions (for now, we have only spell attack actions). To narrow for me.

7. bound by fate, Deceitful step - they are great. Auto-include for me.

8. wracking charge - Blessing doesnt work with this. You need Sorcerous Adept to have nice chance to cast it. Not worth consider that you need upgrade to play first or it will probably miss.

9. shield of fate - great. I play it. Inspire Tzaangor and defence for round.

10. Ravenous flames - Tested. Scatter is too chaotic. First you need to have lethal hexes on board, then there needs to be at least few enemies around that hex to have good chance to hit something. You can't aim it to finish someone. Sometimes i killed my horror with it. Too luck dependend for me.

Edited by Reggi

4 minutes ago, Reggi said:

6. Blessing of tzeentch - it give just +1 succes to your lider attack. You have Innate on your next activation, so it doesnt work on gambit spells (cuz you don't play them on activation). It work on leader attack or spells that are upgrades and works like actions (for now, we have only spell attack actions). To narrow for me.

well actualy it only works on the piercing bolt ability, and not on the leaders attack. so you need an upgrade to get this card online.

8 minutes ago, mmimzie said:

well actualy it only works on the piercing bolt ability, and not on the leaders attack. so you need an upgrade to get this card online.

Right. Forgot about that, cuz i never used that card. Was bad for me from moment i saw it :) It's even worst then i thought

My look at Eyes of the Nine:

I'm still testing them so i change deck all the time. So I don't want to give full deck im testing now, cuz it can still be really bad deck. I can tell what i think about them:

Strategy: You can go for objective play (as Horror give you easier access to objective on your opponent board), aggresive (focusing around dmg from Tzaangor, leader and distraction from horror) or mix of them.

I mostly focus on last two (personal - i don't like only objective focused strategies).

Aggresive:

Card options: +1 dmg upgrades for Tzaangor and Leader (Great Strength, Incr. Strength, Gloryseeker, upgrade that increase Spell attack action dmg on leader), defensive upgrades (Deathly Fortitude, Sudden Growth, Soul Trap, Tethered Spirit etc.). Both Traps (sadly, Twist the Knife is less usfull, cuz of range limits), ploys that give actions: Time Trap, Quick Thinker, Ready for Action etc. (I don't play My Turn - they have bad defence, so in most cases if they got a hit, they will die). Teleports, pushes that will give us opportunity to attack or to avoid being attacked - Bound by Fire, Deceitful Step, Hidden Path, Quick Thinker, Illusory Fighter, Faneway Crystal etc. Maybe one or two Shadeglass weapons for suprise attack from Acolytes (then you should take those with highest damage - Hammer and/or Dagger). It's good idea to take few spells, for easy inspiring Tzaangor (you want that re-rolls) - look at those easy to cast (need one success) and try to start game with Tzaangor as near to Leader as you can. Acolytes are decoys, tool to grab objective like Extreme Flanks or try to push enemy if you need make a space or to avoid charges on more important your fighter. Horror mostly on enemy board for distraction, decoy and pushes to don't give enemy get easy Supremacy, Alone in the Dark etc.

They are not Orruks or Fiends. They are more fragile. I look for chance to attack without giving to much to your opponent. Look for plays like: charge with Tzaangor->Ready for Action to move back to position away from charge range / Hidden Path to enemy backlines -> attack -> Ilusory Fighter or not if its safe there. I try going for charges when enemy will have hard chance to attack me, so  charge with leader range attack on enemy with move token, without friends around that can charge him etc. They need to play smart as aggresive Eyes of the Nine. They are not easiest faction. Pay attention if enemy have fighters on edge hex for enemy Hidden Path.

I'm trying too a something like mix strategy, by putting Supremacy, Our Only Way Out and Bind City to aggresive strategy to suprise enemy and grab glory. It works nice. Still I don't know if in my final deck i will play them.

Edited by Reggi