Starting a young player with Nighthaunt

Nathaire

Hi, folks. I'm planning on getting into AoS with my family. While I've played miniatures wargames for over 25 years (and 40k for 20 years) this is pretty new to everyone else. My wife is a good painter and in love with the Seraphon. I'll be playing either Legions of Nagash. My son is 9 and has shown a big interest in Nighthaunt. I didn't push him into that (he just loves ghosts) but I think it's fortunate -- the Nighthaunt models can look really good with only a wash and drybrush, and that means he'll get to paint his own guys.

My question really comes to how Nighthaunts are playing right now. Will he be competitive against Serephon and LoN? Will it be boring for him to play against another Death army? We're going to be really casual -- probably just using the free core rules and warscrolls at first.

Thanks for your help!

They're a good army, only trouble is they rely very heavily on synergy between all the different character models and units. Without them they can be a bit flimsy. In contrast, an army like Stormcast Eternals or Ironjawz have units that are pretty effective by themselves without help from other models.

You'd be best off picking up Soul Wars or the smaller boxed set, and going from there. Chainrasps, Grimghast Reapers and the Glaivewraith Stalkers and Lord Executioner at first, and then introduce some of the other heroes to get used to how they interact with other units to make them better. It's not too complicated, but if you use them all at once you can lose track of who does what.

Nighthaunt are a pretty straight forward Death army. Their ability rules are pretty easy to manage and the more complicated abilities are under the player control. So for a younger gamer I would say they are a great choice (much better than LoN). They can be easy to play with a lot of rules to build on and master. 

Plus if you also collect LoN then you guys won't have any waste with the Malignant box set.

Archived