What sort of 'Collector' are you?

Ben

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply
19 hours ago, Melcavuk said:

I'd dub myself a "Creator", each army I do will be based on what i can convert, write to, create rules around. I will not just pick an army but a full on project to develop the lore, play out the narrative, expand upon rules and areas that I feel are under developed. Whilst gaming is the eventual aim for every project I undertake it is the least important aspect (narrative, creativity, design ideas etc all rank far higher). 

I also have this thing where I find it hard to do stock models (I blame years of seeing Abaddon vs Abaddon on tables etc, where even unique characters became mirrored matchups) so pretty much everything gets converted.

I call my myself a converter/creator as well. I also have a problem of liking some of their older models instead of their newer ones(Tomb Kings).

19 hours ago, amysrevenge said:

I am the WORST sort of customer for GW.  In the last 4 years I've painted, what, 7 or 8 or more (?)  huge armies, and purchased maybe 1/8 of the models new in plastic from GW.  Less perhaps?  They seriously need to weed me out of their ecosystem and replace me with someone who buys new stuff more often.  LOL

They're the most successful company in the FTSE250 at the moment, I wouldn't be too concerned ? 

I'm a dilettante, started Bretonnia back in the early days of WFB because I liked the Medieval style and the models.

Later, in search of a change, I picked up Night Goblins from the Battle for Skull Pass.

With AoS, I was first attracted to Ironjawz because 40K Orks were sucktacular then.

Recently, as an economy measure, finding that I had acquired three Grot sets from Skull Pass, I am switching my affections to the little greenies to actually start playing as two other players at my LGS are further along with their Orruks and no others are playing Moonclan.

I buy some of the armies that I like and try and paint them...

Right now I have 3000+ points of Stormcast (1k painted), 2k Khorne (1k painted) , 2k Tzeentch, 2k Nighthaunt 1k, Slaves to darkness...

Lately work gets in the way of ever playing, but I loved playing 2 years ago when I discovered the hobby. AoS was the perfect gate way for me. KillTeam has got me buying some 40k too... Need time to paint!!!

Just got into the hobby 2 months ago!

Started out with Soul Wars (since good points for price and its a starter-ish box? XD), ended up rounding out SCE to 1500 points to enter local tourney (about half are fully painted, other half are primed..ran out of time due to switching around lists). My nighthaunts models are up to 1000 points (though haven't had time to assemble yet), and... kind of got super excited when beasts of chaos came out (have about 2500 points worth waiting for assembly). Mostly buying what's new/most supported and the models that I like. First time doing miniature painting (used to mostly do Gunpla) and have been taking my time learning (its been sloooowww but rewarding). 

On the other hand, local FLGS is super into underworlds right now, so I've also been occupied assembling/painting/playing those warbands XD. (and just got sucked into KT as well...)

All in all, probably spend 80% of the time assembling and 20% of the time painting in the last couple months  to try and get enough models ready to field/play underworld/AoS/KT. I don't mind the tediousness of assembling (always take forever due to trying to magnetize/clear all mold lines, sand down burrs and whatnot). Starting to spend more time into hobbying as there's not much new released so far this month. (I was hoping for a big destruction release but doesn't seem like its happening =[ )

Late to the topic, but here's my input; I buy for "points limit +25% sideboard" of "thematic good stuff". 

Basically i decide what my army will do/how it will be themed, and then i build a list out of the best in-theme units i can.

It can be hit or miss; 1250pts of low-tech space marines (kinetic & combustion weapons only) was surprisingly badass, but armoured-only Slaves to Darkness was not... ?

I do this as quickly and cheaply as possible; 2nd hand models, ebay, budget conversions, unpopular armies/models/builds... Basic paint schemes (literally three armies have been black and brass, with another being white and gold, and one being grey... Oooo, adventurous! ?). I am not a patient man.

I have thankfully managed to stick to just one army so far: Stormcasts.

I am aiming to get one of every character and unit at least, plus build the variant options where applicable. I like to have choice when it comes to list building.

As for other game systems, I have Blood Bowl for which I am obsessive. I have every team released so far plus pitches and card sets, and the forgeworld players. I don't bother with star players as I don't like them! 

I have Necromunda and am just as obsessive with this one too, having all gangs, bounty hunters etc.

I have just acquired kill team and whilst getting all the expansions and zones is on the cards, I am limiting myself to just primaris, death guard and Ork kill teams.

I'm a 'project' type of guy.

I build an army that is mainly stuff I like from a hobby perspective, but is also playable as I still enjoy the odd game. I normally build enough for a full game (so for AoS 2000 points) plus some extra (500-1000 points) for variation. Once I'm done, the army gets played while I work on my next project.

As such I now have 5 complete armies across 3 gaming systems (AoS, WHFB and KoW) all painted and finished and I'm currently working on my 6th. The armies I have are: 2 x Dwarfs, Elves, Skaven and Beastmen and I'm currently working on a new BoC army.

Pete

Archived