So I bought the Tzeentch Christmas set...

JonnyTheKing

34 minutes ago, Choombatta said:

That is just the Changehost battalion box.

It is not a Christmas thing, It is always available and has been since the DoT Battletome release.

No, It's definitely the box that came out last christmas along with the KO, Stormcast, Death, G-Cult, Guard, Orks and Tau boxes

3 hours ago, JonnyTheKing said:

Hi everyone, I just ordered the Tzeentch Christmas set, what load out do you guys think is best for a big unit of Tzaangors and are enlightened better on their disc or off them?

Tzaangor, I run them in 10s.

1 leader with greatblade, 3 regular with great blades, 2 mutants, banner, musician. The last two are the flex ones. I go for one set of paired blades and one blade and shield. You want at least one shield, some people just have the banner or musician as "this guy has a shield", but I prefer actually having a specific guy, so it's clearer.

I haven't tried enlightened on foot so far, but the disk ones have been amazing. 3 of them almost killed a stardrake on their own in my last game, then killed a lord arcanum on gryf.

51 minutes ago, Choombatta said:

Weird, in the US it was available the same day as the battletome release.

Battletome released January 2017. Battleforce dropped December 2017 (all battleforces drop in December and are limited releases until stock runs out).

4 hours ago, JonnyTheKing said:

Hi everyone, I just ordered the Tzeentch Christmas set, what load out do you guys think is best for a big unit of Tzaangors and are enlightened better on their disc or off them?

Enlightened have almost double the offensive output on Disks, and are MUCH faster with flight, and gain an extra wound each. I think the 40 points is worth it.

For foot Tzaangors. Max mutants and greatblades (1 should be the champion). 1 shield guy (per the current rules for them, one covers the whole unit), the remaining dual weapons.

8 hours ago, JonnyTheKing said:

The buff to Enlightened in the BoC book along with the drop in points makes them VERY competitive. Personally, I'd say run them in the Tzaangor Coven which this set has the pieces for.  

3 hours ago, themortalgod said:

The buff to Enlightened in the BoC book along with the drop in points makes them VERY competitive. Personally, I'd say run them in the Tzaangor Coven which this set has the pieces for.  

Is that with the disc or without that makes them very competitive?

4 hours ago, Fenomeen said:

I see a lot of people playing tzaangors are they better than the pink horrors if so for what reason? Pink horrors seemed really good being a wizard and respawning. 

Both are good, they work well together. Pinks have something of a drop off though. You quickly run out of good Daemon spells. 

Basically they both function as rather different units.

I use pinks as character bubble wrap and to take and hold objectives. They work well as arcane sacrifice targets, particularly if you have some ones in the destiny dice pool. They can put out reliable damage at range, and cast spells, I usually give them unchecked mutation, or Tzeentch Inferno. They can't fight in combat for toffee though, and if they get hit particularly hard, just melt. They also give you access to blues and then brimstones, which are hugely helpful in the objective game. I've ended up with 10 pinks becoming 30 blues with a DD one, or a fold reality. A disc riding hero can move so fast, and summon so far, almost 3 foot, which gives you an insane threaten range.

Tzaangor on the other hand, they start out as an effective hammer unit, they really can do a lot of damage to things, and threaten a truly massive charge range with running and destiny dice (a pair of 6s and a command point lead to a 24 inch charge). Their disadvantage is that they quickly drop down in damage potential. Taking 20% of their total wounds knocks down their effectiveness to about 55-60%. That said, they remain a damaging unit, and have a lot of wounds in comparison to Pinks. 

Generally I use full units to try and really damage some nasty close combat unit. They do a lot of damage, and quite often have made a good chunk of their points back on that first charge. Sometimes they get hurt enough to downgrade them, but often they'll manage to avoid that.

Injured units get demoted, very hurt units get used as hero screens, hard to charge past. Units that still have a fair few survivors get sent objective hunting. They might not be able to fight evocators anymore, but they can definitely take on back field units like judicators and liberators.

One thing to note is that getting the charge is king. You want to be really careful about charging two units of tzaangor at the same time, since the opponent gets a chance to downgrade the second unit. One thing that pairs well with tzaangor is enlightened on disc. You can pull a charge with one of each unit, and choose tzaangor to go first. That leaves the charged unit with the choice of either going after the enlightened and leaving tzaangor unhurt, or trying to reduce the tzaangor and letting the discbirds trigger the reroll ability (which almost doubles their damage).

Archived