Soulblight... Humour me...

Charlo

• Replies 68
  • Created
  • Last Reply

So if I take out Vhordrai for a VLoZD, I'll give him Mist Form, Saccarine Goblet & Vile Transference. This leaves me with 40 points.

What endless spell would be best? I'm considering the following:

• Pallisade - to wall off some targets/ area denial
  • Gravetide - more mortals, bravery debuffs and cover for my expensive knights
  • Jaws - as above but no cover and easier to use
  • Geminids - debuffs and mortals
  • Pendulum - just even more mortals!

I could rejig the list to get cogs or the like in, but they're a bit samey and everyone uses them!

2 hours ago, Charlo said:

So if I take out Vhordrai for a VLoZD, I'll give him Mist Form, Saccarine Goblet & Vile Transference. This leaves me with 40 points.

What endless spell would be best? I'm considering the following:

• Pallisade - to wall off some targets/ area denial
  • Gravetide - more mortals, bravery debuffs and cover for my expensive knights
  • Jaws - as above but no cover and easier to use
  • Geminids - debuffs and mortals
  • Pendulum - just even more mortals!

I could rejig the list to get cogs or the like in, but they're a bit samey and everyone uses them!

geminids or pendulum! if you want a big nuke dmg the pendulum is perfect and geminids do good dmg on multiple units whie also debuffing the ****** out of them! (just don't forget the geminids got nerfed in the lattest faq for malign sorcery, so they aren't as powerful as they were at the beginning but they are still strong and really useful!)

ps: palisade is too easy to dispel sadly

So while Batswarms and Fellbats are Soulblight, with the models being so ancient, I wonder if allies are a better option? I've got about 240 points to play with; any recommendations? 

Something summonable to take advantage of Deathly Invocation might be good? 30 Chainrasps or Skeletons fits nicely into 240...

Or going back to the endless spells, if I didn't go for one I could bump them to the full 40...!

5 hours ago, Charlo said:

Are they not a bit fragile or too few bodies? 

I laugh at you kind sir...

tbh: no, 5 wolves are 10hp with a 5+ save, fast enough to run into cover, spread out they can cover a flank or grab objectives and no battleshock...pretty sturdy

and they just check off all your battleline requirements. Fully resummonable and 11x 4+\4+ Attacks, will not really kill stuff but might nibble a bit here and there...

10 are a serious obstacle and somewhere in here ?josh? played a 10/10/10/35 horde competitively

never used moaning bedsheets, never will guess grimghast are also like 10hp/60pts/11x4+\4+/unrendable 5+... 7“ fly but might dissolve after loosing 5+ models

since you asked for Soulblight wolves always...

The trouble I found with Soulblight over LoB is that there is so little buffs and benefits in SB compared to LoB, that in the current meta, where everything has lots of synergies and bonuses, running an army without very many makes it really difficult, especially when the key unit in SB, Blood Knights, have no way to properly regen or come back, as healing 1 wound for the entire unit regardless of how many they kill, is not enough.

Also in LoB everything that is SB gets extra attack bonuses and benefits, which blood knights need badly especially if they ahven't had the chance to charge. I wouldn't write off LoB just because it isn't called Soulblight, because everything about LoB is Soulblight, it's basically Soulblight 2.0. 

(Ages ago, sometime last year) I ran Soulblight in a little 1k tournament, went silly with it, 2 x 5 blood knights and vhordrai. Got smashed, and a lot of what hurt me could have been negated with the buffs, bonuses and stuff from the LoB alliance. As far as everyone I know, we all basically refer to LoB as SB, because apart from the name, it is.

@Tropical Ghost General Soulblight is mostly a holdover from early AoS. It's likely either gonna stay as is and fade into obscurity or get rolled into a larger faction release like deathrattle, deadwalkers, etc. All of it's units can be taken by LoN armies and the same happened with nighthaunt before they got a full release. So it wouldn't surprise me to see soulblight get the nighthaunt treatment, add some more battleline options, resculpt the bats, add a mortarch and a couple other characters, add a big unit or repurpose an existing unit (like what they did with the black coach) and maybe add some new magic. But considering how recent nighthaunt is and the drought that destruction is going through I'd wager a soulblight release is far off if ever going to happen. The next big release wave will probably be Moonclan and darkoath to round up the last two malign portents armies. Then we'll probably get more stormcasts, maybe the shadow or light aelves, and then maybe soulblight.

1 minute ago, Lucky Snake Eyes said:

All of it's units can be taken by LoN armies and the same happened with nighthaunt before they got a full release

The difference between bedsheets and vamps is that the vamps are in the LoN book, where as the ghosts were only ever in the GHB17. As the LoN book was designed with the 2nd edition in mind, I think if they planned on re-vamping (pun intended) vamps, they would have left it out of the LoN battletome and put it into GHB18. I think part of the issue with Soulblight is the IP and copyright things that GW want to have on everything they make, but it's impossible to IP vampires (and alot of the other factions in Death and the other GAs), and as so many of the key elements of what was Vampire Counts no longer exist in the lore (such as vlad and isabella, though my lore knowledge is really poor, so I might be completely wrong here). I can't see them revamping vamps anytime soon, which is why I think LoB is GWs way of putting a band aid over the vampire army issue, where there is a demand for it from players, but it's not that high up the 'we have to sort this faction out' food chain.

12 minutes ago, Tropical Ghost General said:

The difference between bedsheets and vamps is that the vamps are in the LoN book, where as the ghosts were only ever in the GHB17. As the LoN book was designed with the 2nd edition in mind, I think if they planned on re-vamping (pun intended) vamps, they would have left it out of the LoN battletome and put it into GHB18. I think part of the issue with Soulblight is the IP and copyright things that GW want to have on everything they make, but it's impossible to IP vampires (and alot of the other factions in Death and the other GAs), and as so many of the key elements of what was Vampire Counts no longer exist in the lore (such as vlad and isabella, though my lore knowledge is really poor, so I might be completely wrong here). I can't see them revamping vamps anytime soon, which is why I think LoB is GWs way of putting a band aid over the vampire army issue, where there is a demand for it from players, but it's not that high up the 'we have to sort this faction out' food chain.

Hexwraiths, spirit hosts, cairn wraith and banshees where all in LoN, now a part of nighthaunt

Tried a new list tonight:

VLoZD 

3x5 Blood Knights

2x6 Vargiests

4 Command Points

Played against my mates Bonesplitterz and purposefully played one of the Hero missions,we rolled Duality of Death,to see how the army would perform in the toughest mission for this army. 

I dropped 1st and made him take 1st turn where he buffed and and stood still. I advanced my turn and took 1 objective.

I won turn 2 priority and went 1st. Buffed all Blood Knights with command ability and murderized loads of Orcs. In his turn he killed a few knights but couldn't get to the objectives.

I won turn 3 priority and with my 2 units of vargiests and my general in prime postion with 3 command points I got the hand shake :) 

18 hours ago, Honk said:

I laugh at you kind sir...

tbh: no, 5 wolves are 10hp with a 5+ save, fast enough to run into cover, spread out they can cover a flank or grab objectives and no battleshock...pretty sturdy

and they just check off all your battleline requirements. Fully resummonable and 11x 4+\4+ Attacks, will not really kill stuff but might nibble a bit here and there...

10 are a serious obstacle and somewhere in here ?josh? played a 10/10/10/35 horde competitively

never used moaning bedsheets, never will guess grimghast are also like 10hp/60pts/11x4+\4+/unrendable 5+... 7“ fly but might dissolve after loosing 5+ models

since you asked for Soulblight wolves always...

Fair enough, good to keep in mind...! I suppose the speed keeps them up with the Knights! I just feel like a block of infantry might be the better option for the sake of board coverage?

On the subject of other allegiances, completely get that LoB and LoN are probably "better", but as I'm new to the game I'm sticking with Soulblight for now to learn and keep that limit in place as a way to get the fundamentals down!

Is Double Dragon a good idea? Vhordrai and another VLoZD? People seem to have about it, but with Soulblight battleline that's basically all the points gone...! 

Finally, thought's on the Coven throne, it seems a cool model and lots of abilities and fits the theme!

LoB and LoN are probably "better"

Pffft... yeah, maybe but saw a SB list up in the top10 recently around here.

So as usual: get good, boi.   XD

he who rolleth 6s, winneth XD

Coven, Prince, VloZd, 3x5 bloodknights and cogs. Swift death bloodline...totally bonkers first strike list.

the knights go flying 14“, the rest goes 18“. I suppose two pronged attack with best bro‘s right and chicks with knights to the left. The objective game is wiping the opponent turn 3. 

but that all hinges on not whiffing, no fumbling and expertly executed charges. I personally would never even try such a list, because I usually helterskelter into my Doom...      (sure I will ;-D)

3 hours ago, Charlo said:

Finally, thought's on the Coven throne, it seems a cool model and lots of abilities and fits the theme!

Amazing model,great command ability,great re-roll ability,amazing (tricky to use) spell but just a bit fragile and not very killy. 

I've ran one in my Soulblight army for the last couple of years and it either does amazing or gets smashed. For me it's all about Beguile as it can so powerful but requires very clever positioning and/or a double turn to use properly.  I've posted my usual list earlier in this thread but last night I played my 1st game without it,replacing it and the Fell Bats with another 6 Vargiests, and I have to say I think my army is a lot more potent without it.

One thing I do think would work really well with the Coven Throne is the spell portal to cast Beguile thru and then use the Thrones immense movement to go tie up what you Beguiled. I only never tried it as I don't have the spell portal models but it's something I will try in future. 

Okay so looking at an alternative to the Coven Throne, while not 100% on theme... A Mortis Engine seems like a pretty gnarly inclusion to the elite army (especially if going Necromantic).

It's fast, does Mortal Wounds, relatively cheap, buffs the casting of nearby heroes and hinders the opponents. BUT most importantly; can heal the elite Soulblight Units at a pivotal moment. Not to mention it's cheaper than a Coven throne by a lot for a seemingly much better output.

Thoughts?

1 hour ago, Charlo said:

Thoughts?

Not sure, the wail is better suited for LoBlood and the reliquary heal...

yeah, why not. If it is needed vs a vamplord casting transference or a trio of vargheist one has to find out on the table. Especially since I really like the CA of the throne for the knights or all the things Soulblight. On the other hand healing 2 wounds on 2-3 units during round 2/3 can make the difference. 

Tough

TBH I'm not sure a Mortis Engine brings anything useful to a Soulblight army. It's not a Hero,doesn't cast any spells,is pretty fragile,is definitely not killy enough and more importantly is not Soulblight( I feel as soon as you start allying in other stuff you may as well go for a different allegiance).   That said I've never run one in my army so it could be awesome but somehow I think not. 

Soulblight isn't reliant on hero buffs like a lot of other armies and as such it gives us a lot of tactical flexibility on the battlefield( I run Lords of Night 99% of the time to further reinforce this). I just feel having something like the Mortis Engine would kinda force you to keep everything together so you can take full advantage of it's abilities which in turn removes that flexibility.  

1 hour ago, discoking said:

I just feel having something like the Mortis Engine would kinda force you to keep everything together so you can take full advantage of it's abilities 

Haven’t tried it either, but a suicidal charge into the fray, especially with the wail could remove attention from the knights, also with the mortal wound potential from the wail (nurgle is not impressed, but maybe others will be more cautious). Then 4d6 are roughly 14“ so 28“ across, Covers a big field.

So distraction carnifex for 180 points. If you really have them to spare, try it. Thing might be gone turn 2/3 but if it heals up 3 vamps and two of your heros while dealing some mw while getting focused, pretty good for 180 (3vargheist are 160)...

Yeah that's what I thought. Cheap enough to throw away but should surely do some damage/ heals as it goes down. It'll basically be the second wave behind the Dragon and Knights to help clean up anything with Mortals and casting support.

I like the Castellans of the Crimson Keep Battalion to lower your drops, gaining a command point, as well as giving reroll 1s to hit on the Blood Knights.  So long as you take Vhordrai and have Doppelganger Cloak on your VLoZD, you should be okay.  I've run something like this to some success: 

Allegiance: Soulblight
- Bloodline: Swift Death
Mortal Realm: Ulgu
Vampire Lord On Zombie Dragon (440)
- General
- Deathlance & Shield & Chalice
- Trait: Mist Form 
- Artefact: Doppelganger Cloak 
- Lore of the Vampires: Amethystine Pinions
Prince Vhordrai (480)
- Lore of the Vampires: Spirit Gale
5 x Blood Knights (240)
5 x Blood Knights (240)
5 x Blood Knights (240)
10 x Dire Wolves (120)
- Allies
Castellans of the Crimson Keep (150)
Geminids of Uhl-Gysh (40)

Total: 1950 / 2000
Extra Command Points: 2
Allies: 120 / 400
Wounds: 93

You always want Dread Knight up on your VLoZD, and to have your VLoZD engaged in a duel.  Mist Form allows him to retreat and charge with extreme mobility into a key position.  You'll need as much bonus movement as possible so that you can maximize his effect.  Geminids are for when you're going to get out-dropped and you decide to deploy on the board against a melee army, using Fist of Nagash as needed to throw that spell forth and debuff a threat.  It's all about having more units in combat than the enemy does, so that your VLoZD can't take any damage with Doppelganger Cloak on.  Turn your cavalry bases sideways so that you can pile in over a single rank of 25mm bases.

• 2 weeks later...
On 10/9/2018 at 2:34 PM, Lucky Snake Eyes said:

Plus vamp infantry might also get an errata to also benefit from LoB.

That would be beautiful, but I wish Legion of Blood just gave it's +1 attack to all models with the Vampire keyword instead of just being Vampire Lords and Blood Knights. It'd make the army the defacto Vampire focused army as well as just make for some downright deadly options.

Then again I'm just salty because Neferata doesn't even get a bonus from her own Legion and I think that's silly.

• 1 month later...
On 10/31/2018 at 5:47 AM, Black_Fortress_Immortal said:

I like the Castellans of the Crimson Keep Battalion to lower your drops, gaining a command point, as well as giving reroll 1s to hit on the Blood Knights.  So long as you take Vhordrai and have Doppelganger Cloak on your VLoZD, you should be okay.  I've run something like this to some success: 

Allegiance: Soulblight
- Bloodline: Swift Death
Mortal Realm: Ulgu
Vampire Lord On Zombie Dragon (440)
- General
- Deathlance & Shield & Chalice
- Trait: Mist Form 
- Artefact: Doppelganger Cloak 
- Lore of the Vampires: Amethystine Pinions
Prince Vhordrai (480)
- Lore of the Vampires: Spirit Gale
5 x Blood Knights (240)
5 x Blood Knights (240)
5 x Blood Knights (240)
10 x Dire Wolves (120)
- Allies
Castellans of the Crimson Keep (150)
Geminids of Uhl-Gysh (40)

Total: 1950 / 2000
Extra Command Points: 2
Allies: 120 / 400
Wounds: 93

You always want Dread Knight up on your VLoZD, and to have your VLoZD engaged in a duel.  Mist Form allows him to retreat and charge with extreme mobility into a key position.  You'll need as much bonus movement as possible so that you can maximize his effect.  Geminids are for when you're going to get out-dropped and you decide to deploy on the board against a melee army, using Fist of Nagash as needed to throw that spell forth and debuff a threat.  It's all about having more units in combat than the enemy does, so that your VLoZD can't take any damage with Doppelganger Cloak on.  Turn your cavalry bases sideways so that you can pile in over a single rank of 25mm bases.

Can you use Castellans WSB in a Soulblight army? I thought it was only technically usable in GA:Death or something stupid...

After the FAQ does the Dopple Cloak still work properly (I know it changed but i'm unfamiliar with the rules!)

Can you use Castellans WSB in a Soulblight army?

Sure you can, all keywords  match...

does the Dopple Cloak still work properly 

Technically yes, but only one per game instead of every combat phase... so it is not a mechanic to „exploit“ anymore

Archived