Soulblight... Humour me...

Charlo

Looking at doing a Vampire-y army and I'm not super into LoB or LoN so am wondering if Soulblight is any good at all? I'm not looking for top tier competitive just a cool army.

The Necromantic Bloodline seems like a nice midway between LoS and LoB and makes the elite Soulblight Units even more so.

Obviously the Battleline is expensive but they hit hard and are fairly tanky with 15 wounds and a 3+/ 6+ after-the-save. Bat Swarms seem like a hidden gem with the shooting debuff and healing, plus Vargheists are far from terrible. The command traits and artifacts are also quite nice, all things considered.

What would a decent 2K look like? Is Price Vordhai worth it? Can you use the Crimson Keep Battalion in a Soulblight Army?

• Replies 68
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I see some people come up with interesting monster mash lists involving VLoZD and vordhai but I personally prefer the benefits of LoB for my vamp heavy lists. Personally it's rare I make a list that doesn't include vordhai, the man put's in so much work for me and when paired with either mortarch becomes an unstoppable force of death. I'm particularly fond of the bromance that is vordhai buffed by manbaby hot dropping behind the enemy, the panic it causes will take pressure off your other units. But otherwise he has what's basically an instant 6 mortal wounds attack and hit's like a truck on a charge. 

7 hours ago, Charlo said:

Looking at doing a Vampire-y army and I'm not super into LoB or LoN so am wondering if Soulblight is any good at all? I'm not looking for top tier competitive just a cool army.

The Necromantic Bloodline seems like a nice midway between LoS and LoB and makes the elite Soulblight Units even more so.

Obviously the Battleline is expensive but they hit hard and are fairly tanky with 15 wounds and a 3+/ 6+ after-the-save. Bat Swarms seem like a hidden gem with the shooting debuff and healing, plus Vargheists are far from terrible. The command traits and artifacts are also quite nice, all things considered.

What would a decent 2K look like? Is Price Vordhai worth it? Can you use the Crimson Keep Battalion in a Soulblight Army?

The problem of soulblight is the missing of the grraveyeards strategically talking and the tropps, really too expensive.

Anyway I play models like bat swarms, they are quite useful, the problem about them is that they can only heal but not resurrected, you have them giving everything or nothing. They are best as they are in small units.

Fells bats canbe used, butI don't like them too much, maybe it's cause the models themselves that doesnìt make me anxious to deploy them^^

The option to ally in some nighthaunt looks pretty good to me, since deathly invocation is a warscroll ability.

Since they are immune to rend, the lack of deathless minions is not that big a deal. And chainrasp seem to work in a 20 strong unit...

25 minutes ago, Honk said:

The option to ally in some nighthaunt looks pretty good to me, since deathly invocation is a warscroll ability.

Since they are immune to rend, the lack of deathless minions is not that big a deal. And chainrasp seem to work in a 20 strong unit...

The problem is the classic slippery slope.

The OP has inquired about an under-powered faction (i.e. Soulblight) for rule-of-cool Vampire army reasons.

Once you start allying in a bit of "this" and a bit of "that", you end up with a generic VC/Death-type force pretty quickly and may as well just go LoN.

For me, the issue with Soulblight is no Nef. In a faction with famously terrible and/or overpriced, finecast models (Fell Bats, Bat Swarms, Blood Knights, etc.), lack of access to a great centrepiece model like Nef really hurts.

23 minutes ago, Kyriakin said:

The OP has inquired about an under-powered faction (i.e. Soulblight) for rule-of-cool Vampire army reasons.

Once you start allying in a bit of "this" and a bit of "that", you end up with a generic VC/Death-type force pretty quickly and may as well just go LoN.

For me, the issue with Soulblight is no Nef. In a faction with famously terrible and/or overpriced, finecast models (Fell Bats, Bat Swarms, Blood Knights, etc.), lack of access to a great centrepiece model like Nef really hurts.

They gave her the Soulblight keyword in Legions. You are good to go friend :) .

Just now, Kyriakin said:

Ah, I didn't know that. Did they do that with Arkhan and Deathrattle too (I know that was a frustration pre-LoN)?

No, Arkhan did not gain any new keywords sadly. But it also seems like Deathrattle is no longer a faction anyways (not in the new GHB). So hes not missing much.

Manfred also gained Soulblight though.

2 hours ago, Kyriakin said:

Yes, the question is: *lambadamusicplaying* how low can you go... shuffling underneath the bar 

the lack of infantry is really sad for SB and only going for knights makes the list very top heavy. If you want the real sylvania feeling, you need thralls. So grab the freeguild and be the dark master they always craved in their barony. Then use the rules you‘d like. Blackknights, graveguard... since GW isn’t doing it, you have to be creative.

will never be meta breaking, but rule of cool trumps all

4 hours ago, Kyriakin said:

Yup!

Not adverse to allies, but when blood Knights are quite expensive anyway + Vordhai/ VLoZD you don't have many points to play with anyways!

I don't mind the Bats Swarms/ Fellbats, I'll just convert some stuff for those fairly easily. Same with Blood Knights, can make some Plastic ones fairly easily.

Heres a quick question though, if you go Soulblight Allegiance; do the Vamps get spells from Lore of Vampires? Or are they just stuck to the Warscroll Spells? EDIT: Answered my own question, they do get Vamp lore spells, yay!

Soulblight is all I've played pretty much from AoS launch and it's such a cool faction and imo a pretty devastating one when played right. Soulblight is all about speed and hitting power,nothing in your army moves less than 10" standard(to start adding thralls on foot etc would just detract from the very distinct playstyle they have). Played right you can run rings round your opponent and delete anything you charge.  Are Blood Knights to expensive? Maybe but then I don't care it is what it is and they still wreck face. Thats another great thing about Soulblight,they still wreck face without hero support unlike all other death armies and the Hero phase is nice and straight forward...yay. 

If your good at the game and understand it then Soulblight can be incredible rewarding as well as super cool :)  

1 hour ago, discoking said:

Soulblight is all I've played pretty much from AoS launch and it's such a cool faction and imo a pretty devastating one when played right. Soulblight is all about speed and hitting power,nothing in your army moves less than 10" standard(to start adding thralls on foot etc would just detract from the very distinct playstyle they have). Played right you can run rings round your opponent and delete anything you charge.  Are Blood Knights to expensive? Maybe but then I don't care it is what it is and they still wreck face. Thats another great thing about Soulblight,they still wreck face without hero support unlike all other death armies and the Hero phase is nice and straight forward...yay. 

If your good at the game and understand it then Soulblight can be incredible rewarding as well as super cool :)  

Great to hear - I'm new to AoS but have been reading a lot of forums/ listening to podcasts so get the jist of it. Been struggling to settle on a faction and I think the limited scope of Soulblight is what I enjoy; they're straight forward and I can learn the game with them - plus I own a VLoZD and some Vargheists so may as well get use out of them...!

====

For a 2K starting list i've been thinking of:

• Vhordrai [Vile Transferance]
  • Vampire Lord [Winged Nightmare, Spirit Gale]
  • Coven Throne [Amaranthine Orb, Saccarine Globet]
  • 3x5 Blood Knights
  • 6 Bat Swarms (in one big unit)
  • 3 Vargheists

====

Plan is basically to charge! Coven Throne can help with defence, bat swarms are the target of Deathly Invocation and tie things up and cause further -1 to hit against enemy ranged attacks. Vhordrai obviously a total beast and the other vampire is backup. Blood Knight hit things hard. Throne with the goblet could be pretty nasty too and orb is for throwing more mortal wounds around the place. Necromantic bloodline keeps the casting going. Vargheists hunt warmachines and similar!

Thoughts?

24 minutes ago, Charlo said:

Thoughts?

Like it!

I would probably split the bats, just for flank screening and charge blocking, but that’s just me... aaand might change to swift death bloodline, because death comes on swift wings.

What's the deal with Vhordrai, I assume you take him for the extra round of attacks he can give to a fellow VLoZD?  Because without Ethereal Amulet /Doppelganger/Dark Majesty etc, he's much less survivable than your generic vampire lord. 

4 minutes ago, N.I.B. said:

What's the deal with Vhordrai,

He is a sick monster... and has a short range dirty snowball (8“/2+\6mw) delete the supporting hero, wreckcharge the unit. And his spell turns him into a total murdermachine, especially when a vampire lord tells him to „please show some effort“ or manni/coven throne lets him reroll 1s...

don‘t know what else to say, his performance is best described by grindcore Songtitels ?

Vhordrai just seems like a LOT of bang for buck with the reasons  Honk has said - though I'd definitely consider a regular VLoZD as it gives me another 40 points to play with (probably an endless spell?)

I also really like Magic in AoS2 so Necromantic is a must ;)

4 minutes ago, Charlo said:

I'd definitely consider a regular VLoZD

Let me redefine my post...

as secondary hero, I‘m trying him out tomorrow and on paper he looks crazy good.

as a general... nope! VloZd... or ct

list is going to be

coven throne, vhordrai, vamp, necro

60 zombers, 3x5 puppies

1.5k friendly game against khorne with wok thirster.

plan is the ladies talk to the thirster (beguile or if all fails orb of enchantment) their CA on V (reroll hit/wound) he casts QuickBlood on himself and deletes a unit... not the weathmongers though ;-D they get stuck in the 60cal zomber 4ever&ever, puppies hold objectives

Archived