Vampires and Pirates AHOY! (Total War 2 DLC)

Don't know if this has been discussed (or if it is allowed on this forum) but the latest DLC trailer for Total War 2 features an entire new faction never before seen and it just makes me sad that it isn't an army! It's what i would love to see in the Death allegiance, something completely different and unique from the usual ghosts and ghoulies

It was seen once before - long ago in a White Dwarf far back in time (I think Fat Bloke was still writing/editing back then). 

Honestly if it turns out GW made them into an actual AoS army it would send the fans wild I'm sure - esp because then they'd be pouring over every CA release like mad rabid animals for the slightest hint of anything to come. 

1 hour ago, Overread said:

they'd be pouring over every CA release like mad rabid animals for the slightest hint of anything to come. 

I think when Forge World finally releases Fimirs some people will be confused why they are not in the Chaos GA.

15 hours ago, Akylas said:

I'd definitely be up for undead pirates in aos. 

Hell yeah. It would be nice to keep the slightly mischievous and anarchic feel that the zombies had. They weren't purely mindless automatons, they had enough personality to guffaw when firing wildly with their busted deck guns. You got the same sort of theme with Harkon being very clearly mad, a far cry from the usual cold and calculated vampire counts in the background.

You could, I think, fit them to AoS as some sort of wild outriders for Nagash, sailing the seas of the realms to claim back plunder for themselves (they can't use it but they still have enough memory to desire it) and souls for death. Sea-wights and zombies. Like free companies sworn to the Great Necromancer as the one who gave them un-life and their terrifying ultimate paymaster. They're given more free reign than his legions partially to make use of their cunning/unpredictability/relatively free will, partially because they're expendable pirate trash who are largely beneath Nagash's attention.

Their fleets sail where they will and if their raiding succeeds and attracts Nagash's gaze, he'll follow up their conquests with more organised legions of undead, at which point their rambunctious piratical shenanigans either irritate him enough to destroy the fleet with a flick of his hand or the pirates have enough sense to hurriedly set sail again and find another shore to raid.

Visually I think there's room for them. Legions of Nagash largely covers the cold, dry, organised, 'rational' forces of bone and constructs. Flesheater Courts have the twisted bat-forms and graveyard cannibalism. Nighthaunt have sucessfully carved out their own visual identity with lots of smoke, spoopy gothic stuff and legalistic/punitive imagery. Undead pirates could bring back the rotting flesh part of the undead visual dictionary. Zombies but also lots of beards of seaweed (literal or otherwise) and mouldering/dripping wood used for stuff like those massive constructs.

Funnily enough this morning I was looking at some reviews of the Firestorm narrative campaign box/thing that came out last year and this caught my eye in Mengel's Miniatures' review...

"Not to be left out, Chaos, Destruction, and Death each have a set of new Allegiance Abilities too. These represent the forces in the Flamescar Plateau that are looking to tear down Sigmar's cities. Death's faction is a ghostly vampire fleet, that's pillaging the land, while Destruction's follows the horde of Gulgaz, who was featured in the Path to Glory book. These Allegiance Abilities can be used outside of the campaign as well, including in Matched Play!"

So there does already exist, in canon (if not yet cannon), undead pirates in AoS. Not sure how much 'fleshed' out they were in the campaign or any particularly piratical abilities or extras they have access to but someone here must have bought, or at least, read the booklet and can fill us in.

if the Deadwalkers was updated to be Deadswimmers it'd be really interesting as a line. Explore the whole rotted drowned bloated look, but seperate to how nurgle does it's own decay. 

The trailer works as a proof of concept if nothing else!

Archived