Metagame Prep

Lemon Knuckles

So... this might be a lot to ask, but any help at all is greatly appreciated.

Have a local tourney coming up in a month, and unfortunately life simply is not allowing for much practice.  Obviously, my overwhelming charisma and blindly good painting skills will help lock down soft scores (roll eyes), but I would actually like to win a game or two.  I know nothing compensates for actual practice, but I'm hoping that I can at least get some hivemind thoughts so that I am not completely oblivious on the table.  I'm sure others might appreciate something like this as well, so your charity will help the collective good.

So... if anyone has any thoughts on the most popular armies I'm likely to encounter, it would be appreciated.  Maybe along the lines of the questions below.  I'll collect and organize them at the top of the thread for ongoing reference.

1. Threat Range (Is the army a first-turn threat)?
  2. Key Units/Target Priority
  3. Key Threats/Synergies/Combos... What to watch out for
  4. Misc Thoughts

A million thanks.

------------------------------------

Daughters of Khaine: 

• Range: limited shooting (only mediocre shooting from Heartrenders, Doomfire Warlocks and Blood Stalkers), prefer close combat -> potentially very quick (8" move on the Melusai; Witch Aelfs can charge after running). 
  • Key Targets: try to focus on Hag Queens and Blood Queens, their prayers and buffs are an important part of a DoK army; dont underestimate Blood Sisters, they have a really high damage output but die quickly when focused down
  • Synergy: The Witch Brew from the Hag Queen grants bravery test immunity and allows re-rolls for failed to wound rolls for one unit in 3"; the catechism of murder -> get one additional hit for every 6 when rolling for to-hit; the mindrazor spells improves the rend of a units attacks by 1 and adds 1 to the damage value when fighting a unit with a lower bravery value -> all three buffs on one unit will kill everything, prevent this by killing the heroes or just avoid such a buffed up unit
  • Other things: never get cocky. The DoK allegiance ability makes them stronger the longer the battle goes on. Even after a first strong half, the DoK can turn it around in the second half. 

Nurgle:

• Range: Almost none, some puking at 7“-14“ (GUO-Plaquedrones) more or less for softening up heros. They might ally in a Plaqueclaw catapult or two, which then turns you skelli block faster into green bile than thought (36“/2+/3+/-2/2d6). Some Heroes (lord of blights) can dish it out though.
  • Melee: Not really scary, but none the less there. The classic 30 Pb Blob does not really get things done, plaquedrones have a lot of different stuff, but also not crushing. Blightkings is where stuff gets real, exploding hits on 6s 4wounds...beefy hard hitting. 
  • Key Targets: All the heroes. The army is full of synergies vice versah buffing and healing...disgusting. Some of them epidemius, fe, can suddenly boost the whole army. 
    • Rotigus/GOU: 16hp, 4+/5++, regen d3... big R has a BOARDWIDE spell , roll 7 dice and for each 4+ a unit gets d3 mw...together with the wheel #6 hurry 2d3 mortals, boardwide against our heros...the spell lore is also pretty good, lots of nasty debuff spells in there (-1 hit/wound/save), control of the Wheel and some damage too...Soooo... all in all not that bad, till your not quite sure what hit you where and why nothing really seems to work.
  • Synergies and Nurgle Filth:
    • Grabs a bucket of salt and puts a rant hat on: remember that day, when rotn gave us 5+ deathless and everybody complained... well, all of them sport that, which makes them fairly resistant against „sure kill“ measures through mortal wounds.
    • Tanky units are supposed to be slow... scratch that, Nurgle units totally wear Nike‘s those trees let’s them run and charge, all of them... pretty sick
    • Nurglings look kinda cute and funny...forget about that, they are devious little ****** who need to be burned. Either do 4dmg or no dmg at all. Since they move out of cover, they can really slow you down.
    • plaquebearer regen d6 on battleshock of 1...
    • have I ranted about the rotigus/ Wheel #6 combo enough?! Well, grab popcorn & coke while I go ballistic on the thrice cursed battalions. Triple unclean ones?! Pukes out MWs likes it’s their job. All/Most of the battalions suddenly slap MWs in your face. Really strong and rotigus has the GUO keyword, which works for all/most battalions. Thx gdubs for my royal menagerie f-up...
    • All in all: fast resilient deadly... buckle up, bring your alpha game , play the objectives and don’t be afraid to overkill, if it survives it heals faster than, whatever, damn fast. Buuut, not unbeatable! Good luck...

Short question: What point level is planed for this tournament? Army builds can change quite drastically between different point levels. 

I have a tournament too next week, 1250 points with vanguard rules (2+ battleline, etc.). So I just gonna list my thoughts for this level. 

Daughters of Khaine: 

• Range: limited shooting (only mediocre shooting from Heartrenders, Doomfire Warlocks and Blood Stalkers), prefer close combat -> potentially very quick (8" move on the Melusai; Witch Aelfs can charge after running). 
  • Key Targets: try to focus on Hag Queens and Blood Queens, their prayers and buffs are an important part of a DoK army; dont underestimate Blood Sisters, they have a really high damage output but die quickly when focused down
  • Synergy: The Witch Brew from the Hag Queen grants bravery test immunity and allows re-rolls for failed to wound rolls for one unit in 3"; the catechism of murder -> get one additional hit for every 6 when rolling for to-hit; the mindrazor spells improves the rend of a units attacks by 1 and adds 1 to the damage value when fighting a unit with a lower bravery value -> all three buffs on one unit will kill everything, prevent this by killing the heroes or just avoid such a buffed up unit
  • Other things: never get cocky. The DoK allegiance ability makes them stronger the longer the battle goes on. Even after a first strong half, the DoK can turn it around in the second half. 

Sweet Mercy of Nagash, @Gecktron sure set a standard for replies...

Will try for Nurgle, a good enemy of mine fields them:

Range: Almost none, some puking at 7“-14“ (GUO-Plaquedrones) more or less for softening up heros. They might ally in a Plaqueclaw catapult or two, which then turns you skelli block faster into green bile than thought (36“/2+/3+/-2/2d6). Some Heroes (lord of blights) can dish it out though.

Melee: Not really scary, but none the less there. The classic 30 Pb Blob does not really get things done, plaquedrones have a lot of different stuff, but also not crushing. Blightkings is where stuff gets real, exploding hits on 6s 4wounds...beefy hard hitting. 

Key Targets: All the heroes. The army is full of synergies vice versah buffing and healing...disgusting. Some of them epidemius, fe, can suddenly boost the whole army. 

Rotigus/GOU: 16hp, 4+/5++, regen d3... big R has a BOARDWIDE spell , roll 7 dice and for each 4+ a unit gets d3 mw...together with the wheel #6 hurry 2d3 mortals, boardwide against our heros...

the spell lore is also pretty good, lots of nasty debuff spells in there (-1 hit/wound/save), control of the Wheel and some damage too...

Soooo... all in all not that bad, till your not quite sure what hit you where and why nothing really seems to work.

Synergies and Nurgle Filth:

Grabs a bucket of salt and puts a rant hat on: 

remember that day, when rotn gave us 5+ deathless and everybody complained... well, all of them sport that, which makes them fairly resistant against „sure kill“ measures through mortal wounds.

Tanky units are supposed to be slow... scratch that, Nurgle units totally wear Nike‘s those trees let’s them run and charge, all of them... pretty sick

Nurglings look kinda cute and funny...forget about that, they are devious little ****** who need to be burned. Either do 4dmg or no dmg at all. Since they move out of cover, they can really slow you down.

plaquebearer regen d6 on battleshock of 1...

have I ranted about the rotigus/ Wheel #6 combo enough?! Well, grab popcorn & coke while I go ballistic on the thrice cursed battalions. Triple unclean ones?! Pukes out MWs likes it’s their job. All/Most of the battalions suddenly slap MWs in your face. Really strong and rotigus has the GUO keyword, which works for all/most battalions. Thx gdubs for my royal menagerie f-up...

All in all: fast resilient deadly... buckle up, bring your alpha game , play the objectives and don’t be afraid to overkill, if it survives it heals faster than, whatever, damn fast. Buuut, not unbeatable! Good luck...

Archived