What is the most difficult army to master?

Enoby

23 hours ago, PlasticCraic said:

There's a very good video by @heywoah_twitch that just came out.  He talks about pros and cons of all armies, including how difficult they are to master.

This video backs up your views on Khorne...they can be very technical, and there is a high degree of forward planning, concentration and finesse required to maximise their overlapping buffs...or to create a "Venn Diagram of Murder", as he puts it!

Well worth a watch I think.  The title undersells how useful and interesting this video is for experienced players too.

Edit: forgot the link, derp

very good and helpfull video. havent seen it before, thanks!

i started with khorne mortals, fell into a lot of trap units as described by heywoah and moved to a combined mortal / daemon force i’m pretty happy with, but it remains it pretty tough army for me (also my first army). 

21 hours ago, Chris Tomlin said:

It has to be Phoenix Temple, anyone who could do well with them would surely be a true master of the game...

:ph34r:

Hey Chris, when are you going on the Honest wargamer? I'm excited to hear about Phoenix temple and Order Draconis(?)!

Khorne / kharadrons

Strong-hitters but Squishy 

Khorne since all heroes have buff to give with range and they luck defence, so it's hard to protect them, u need to master how to move them

Kharadrons since u need to be carefull to move them each Round, 1 turn and they might be dead

Don't say dok, the only thing hard to master it is to transport the army composed of 130+models, heroes are strong since they can be engulfed into a 40 models unit covering it, and with extra saves

27 minutes ago, calcysimon said:

Don't say dok, the only thing hard to master it is to transport the army composed of 130+models, heroes are strong since they can be engulfed into a 40 models unit covering it, and with extra saves

Yes, for a "glass cannon" army they sure seem to get a lot of saves!

29 minutes ago, Kyriakin said:

My initial thought was Clan Pestilens.

So. Many. Rules. (just look at the Plague Monk warscroll).

Also, no saves to speak of, but Plague Monks can potentially dish out 6 attacks each. The ultimate glass cannon.

At least you can field most of your pestilence army under maggotkin rules and get access to a plethora of great heroes with awesome command abilities,  summoning, and the nice nurgle buff wheel.  No need to limit yourself to the skaven incompetent rules set. Heck the one lord of blights or whatever will keep your monks alive with the minus to hit buff and then there is tons of healing support.

Plague Monks are only Battleline for Pestilens though, so bringing them under Maggotkin makes them more a Nurgle army with Skaven in than a proper Plague Monk horde. Nurgle does have some amazing rules, though maybe if a Skaven soup Battletome does appear, Pestilens may get some updated rules love.

On 10/8/2018 at 7:24 PM, Kevlar1972 said:

Khorne is tough because there are so many options.  Many of which look great on paper (cough.karanak) but don't work out too well on the table.  There are many many characters that have great stats and abilities,  but won't buff your units like an aspiring deathbringer will.  What's better? A guy that has an extra attack or a guy that gives 20 skullreapers extra attacks?

Also there is very limited synergy between daemons and mortals so even though you have a ton of powerful units to choose from only about half of them work with each other.  I started out with daemons and moved to mostly mortals.  But now with daemon summoning I have a lot of flexibility with my models.

Do you move to mostly mortals because you think they are stronger?  I am curious as it is an opposite experience among the players in my group.  They move to mostly daemons (bloodletters and thirsters).  In fact it was a running joke in my group that the 3 Battletome Chaos gods factions mortals are inferior to Daemons.

We are not a skilled group though so I acknowledge we could be wrong.

5 hours ago, darkspear said:

Do you move to mostly mortals because you think they are stronger?  I am curious as it is an opposite experience among the players in my group.  They move to mostly daemons (bloodletters and thirsters).  In fact it was a running joke in my group that the 3 Battletome Chaos gods factions mortals are inferior to Daemons.

We are not a skilled group though so I acknowledge we could be wrong.

It's the buff synergy really and the blood tithe.  With gore pilgrims you are forced to run 4 mortal heroes.  So its tough to mix daemons into that.  It's the models I have too.  I don't have 90 bloodletters,  if I did I would run a different battalion and focus more on daemons.

On 10/8/2018 at 10:15 AM, ledha said:

I wouldn't put the most overpowered army as the "most difficult army to master"

Idoneth are strong when played well but Legions of Nagash is by far the strongest army out there at the moment.

multiple cheap named characters (most of them casters, which favor many of the new scenario rules), with amazing synergies and special rules;

multiple useful spells and the power to cast them (very) easily;

multiple useful magic items, many of them with passive, ensured effects;

multiple ways to bring back models and units (some of them dirt cheap and easy);

cheap battleline

high mobility

little to no restrictions on applying the many useful allegiance abilities to a huge set of different units.

Easy to correct mistakes during the game, because the rules got you covered.

Not necessarily easy to master, though.

14 hours ago, Columind said:

Idoneth are strong when played well but Legions of Nagash is by far the strongest army out there at the moment.

multiple cheap named characters (most of them casters, which favor many of the new scenario rules), with amazing synergies and special rules;

multiple ways to bring back models and units (some of them dirt cheap and easy);

cheap battleline

high mobility

little to no restrictions on applying the many useful allegiance abilities to a huge set of different units.

I think DoK are the strongest army out there, demonstrated by them taking the last 5? GTs in a row. 

On 10/15/2018 at 11:42 AM, Columind said:

cheap battleline

high mobility

“High mobility” say it to my skeleton and Grave Guard’s face. I dare you. Reeee! My Necromancer is painfully slow too. Why did they remove the version on Nightmare from being a valid option? 

Archived