Capturing objectives

Black Blade

Question

When using the basic, common rules for objective games assuming the battle plan does not change the conditions is the following true...?

You can capture an objective by moving within 6" and having the most models within that range. Then you can move away from it, keep scoring despite zero models from any army being within 6" until an enemy unit strolls within 6"...

Do I have that right?

11 answers to this question

On 10/7/2018 at 9:53 PM, Black Blade said:

When using the basic, common rules for objective games assuming the battle plan does not change the conditions is the following true...?

You can capture an objective by moving within 6" and having the most models within that range. Then you can move away from it, keep scoring despite zero models from any army being within 6" until an enemy unit strolls within 6"...

Do I have that right?

Yes.

But mind that you only capture it and get points for it at the end of your turn. I.e, after battleshock/cohesion fixing. Not the moment you move onto it. 

34 minutes ago, Black Blade said:

Do I have that right?

I believe so

On 10/7/2018 at 11:12 PM, heywoah_twitch said:

Yes, though remember you measure from the center of the objective, not the edge.

This is such a stupid rule does anyone actually do that. Most people I play measure from the edge. Measuring from the centre can create all sorts of problems like not agreeing on the actual centre , how big is the centre ? Is it a 1mm dot or half a mm ? Atleast with the edge no one can argue . 

35 minutes ago, Mayple said:

Yes.

But mind that you only capture it and get points for it at the end of your turn. I.e, after battleshock/cohesion fixing. Not the moment you move onto it. 

Remember, though, that you can take control of an objective at the end of the other players turn. You can get points for them only at the end of your own turn (due to the nature of the 18 matched play battleplans).

2 hours ago, ageofpaddsmar said:

This is such a stupid rule does anyone actually do that. Most people I play measure from the edge. Measuring from the centre can create all sorts of problems like not agreeing on the actual centre , how big is the centre ? Is it a 1mm dot or half a mm ? Atleast with the edge no one can argue . 

That is why you should, in my view, use objective markers with clearly defined center points - Poker chips with a mark on them work pretty well. Even when using scenery-like objective markers, the players should always have a flat marker underneath as a back-up (this is also necessary in case the players want to move models onto a objective marker). Measuring from the edges warps the "control zone" around the objective in a way I personally do not enjoy.

10 hours ago, ageofpaddsmar said:

its pretty easy you just hold out a tape measure 6" or 12" or whatever double the range you have to be to the center is and just center the measuring device across the center point of the marker. If we have to we remove the marker all together and place a coin in it's place until the area isnt as crowded again

11 hours ago, ageofpaddsmar said:

Until you realize there is no official size for objective markers and some people use the cardboard marker a starter set comes with, some people use poker chips, some people use quarters, and some people make cool elaborate ones - all with different sizes. And so to control that, and let people get creative with markers, measuring from the center is the best answer. It changes the game when more or fewer models might count when measuring from the edge of a Quarter or a 50mm base with a statue on it.

22 hours ago, heywoah_twitch said:

Until you realize there is no official size for objective markers and some people use the cardboard marker a starter set comes with, some people use poker chips, some people use quarters, and some people make cool elaborate ones - all with different sizes. And so to control that, and let people get creative with markers, measuring from the center is the best answer. It changes the game when more or fewer models might count when measuring from the edge of a Quarter or a 50mm base with a statue on it.

Doesnt matter aslong as they are all the same. Obliviously if you are using the scenic ones you would need to have a centre point but they should just be used for fun fluff games in my opinion.

32 minutes ago, ageofpaddsmar said:

Doesnt matter aslong as they are all the same. Obliviously if you are using the scenic ones you would need to have a centre point but they should just be used for fun fluff games in my opinion.

Who says what size is the go to size? If they are supposed to all be the same, then there must be a standard, but there isn't. I don't see how measuring from the center of the objective is difficult. Unless you somehow mess up the original placement, then there's really no issue. This is even more true if your objective markers are symmetrical, as the center would be very easy to find and place correctly.

The game warps horribly if you measure from the edge. Suddently your objective diameter is 8-10 inches instead of the 6" they're meant to be.

1 hour ago, Mayple said:

Who says what size is the go to size? If they are supposed to all be the same, then there must be a standard, but there isn't. I don't see how measuring from the center of the objective is difficult. Unless you somehow mess up the original placement, then there's really no issue. This is even more true if your objective markers are symmetrical, as the center would be very easy to find and place correctly.

The game warps horribly if you measure from the edge. Suddently your objective diameter is 8-10 inches instead of the 6" they're meant to be.

You agree with your opponent before the game. Played about 12 tournaments and everyone has always played to the edge.  Most tend to use the carboard ones or plastic ones. I guess its not really warped if you always play that way.  I guess our metas are just different . 

9 minutes ago, ageofpaddsmar said:

You agree with your opponent before the game. Played about 12 tournaments and everyone has always played to the edge.  Most tend to use the carboard ones or plastic ones. I guess its not really warped if you always play that way.  I guess our metas are just different . 

It -is- warped. Whether you're okay with that or not is another matter entirely ;) Regardless, as long as you agree with your opponent it really doesn't matter either way, since there's obviously no problem at that point. But when measuring from the edge, you're both agreeing to houserule, which is fine, but call the shovel a shovel :)

Archived