How do Vargheists work?

Ravinsild

I've been using vargheists in my legions of night and blood lists though I only own 3. In my night list I throw them with Mannfred and vordhai in the ambush and while the vampire bromance takes the pressure I'll use the vargheists to slap around support and ranged units. They've been a decent way of dealing with ballistas and castagators my SE friend loves to bring. In my blood list I hold them back a bit and use them as a hammerto complement my bloodknights as an unconventional hammer and anvil. Usually by intercepting cav or heroes with mediocre saves with the bloodknights and bursting wounds between them and the vargheists. Been surprisingly effective so far, but I also found them useful in breaking up skele vs skele blobs when facing other death players since with even 3 your gonna put out enough wounds to overwhelm most model regen outside of hero spam lists. Admittedly this is all in games where none of us are overly competitive, I myself play my armies based on lore and gimmicks, but I wouldn't discount the value you can get out of well placed vargheists. I just wish they counted towards the extra attacks blood legion gives, I mean vargheists are vampires after all. 

10 minutes ago, Lucky Snake Eyes said:

I've been using vargheists in my legions of night and blood lists though I only own 3. In my night list I throw them with Mannfred and vordhai in the ambush and while the vampire bromance takes the pressure I'll use the vargheists to slap around support and ranged units. They've been a decent way of dealing with ballistas and castagators my SE friend loves to bring. In my blood list I hold them back a bit and use them as a hammerto complement my bloodknights as an unconventional hammer and anvil. Usually by intercepting cav or heroes with mediocre saves with the bloodknights and bursting wounds between them and the vargheists. Been surprisingly effective so far, but I also found them useful in breaking up skele vs skele blobs when facing other death players since with even 3 your gonna put out enough wounds to overwhelm most model regen outside of hero spam lists. Admittedly this is all in games where none of us are overly competitive, I myself play my armies based on lore and gimmicks, but I wouldn't discount the value you can get out of well placed vargheists. I just wish they counted towards the extra attacks blood legion gives, I mean vargheists are vampires after all. 

Sounds like I might have been on a semi-correct track for local casual games after all. 

Still im interested in a magic list as well. I like the idea of my magic bomb/mortal wounds spam with Mannfred, popping off Wind of Death, Soul Harvest, maybe even Amaranthine Orb instead of Vile Transference, then the Reliquary... one target takes a potential 4D3 damage with a lot of AoE, seems like a pretty heavy Nuke to me, plus the actual combat phase too. 

My gut is telling me I’m on to something here, but maybe I need to narrow the list. Perhaps I should do a Vargheists super charge alpha strike combat focused list, then work out a super magical nuke list with Arkhan or something so I’ll have a fighty list and a magical list separately instead of trying to cram it all into one list? 

I don’t know how to build a magic based list though. 

I just feel like I’m on the verge of something awesome, it’ll just take some sorting out, but it’s probably nothing new and something that’s already been tested and done before. I just want an aggressive melee vampire force using Neferata or Mannfred, and I’m enjoying this idea of a super nuke of mortal wounds too. 

So basically at the end of the day 3 different lists, a Deathmarch list, a killy vampire list and a magical microwave list to cook everything without using Nagash himself or any ghosts. Skeletons & Vampires only. 

17 minutes ago, Ravinsild said:

Sounds like I might have been on a semi-correct track for local casual games after all. 

Still im interested in a magic list as well. I like the idea of my magic bomb/mortal wounds spam with Mannfred, popping off Wind of Death, Soul Harvest, maybe even Amaranthine Orb instead of Vile Transference, then the Reliquary... one target takes a potential 4D3 damage with a lot of AoE, seems like a pretty heavy Nuke to me, plus the actual combat phase too. 

My gut is telling me I’m on to something here, but maybe I need to narrow the list. Perhaps I should do a Vargheists super charge alpha strike combat focused list, then work out a super magical nuke list with Arkhan or something so I’ll have a fighty list and a magical list separately instead of trying to cram it all into one list? 

I don’t know how to build a magic based list though. 

I just feel like I’m on the verge of something awesome, it’ll just take some sorting out, but it’s probably nothing new and something that’s already been tested and done before. I just want an aggressive melee vampire force using Neferata or Mannfred, and I’m enjoying this idea of a super nuke of mortal wounds too. 

So basically at the end of the day 3 different lists, a Deathmarch list, a killy vampire list and a magical microwave list to cook everything without using Nagash himself or any ghosts. Skeletons & Vampires only. 

Arkhan's battalion get's you a sweet 7 spells per turn with the mortis engine and a little protection for the bunch. If that isn't enough for you then some vampires on foot or necromancers for even more magic. You'll be able to out magic nearly every army except maybe a spell heavy seraphon list. My sacrament list is the only one i don't bring vargheists in simply due too the spell nuking doing enough wounds, I just invest in more summonable stuff to tie up units and objectives, plus the summoning gives me an excuse to use all the extra spell casts.

5 minutes ago, Lucky Snake Eyes said:

Arkhan's battalion get's you a sweet 7 spells per turn with the mortis engine and a little protection for the bunch. If that isn't enough for you then some vampires on foot or necromancers for even more magic. You'll be able to out magic nearly every army except maybe a spell heavy seraphon list. My sacrament list is the only one i don't bring vargheists in simply due too the spell nuking doing enough wounds, I just invest in more summonable stuff to tie up units and objectives, plus the summoning gives me an excuse to use all the extra spell casts.

So the basic structure is the Battalion with Arkhan, 2 Necromancer and a Mortis Engine then fill battle line with Deathrattle stuff for cheap summonables and nuke the opponent down with spells whilst contesting objectives with constantly refilling bodies? 

2 minutes ago, Ravinsild said:

So the basic structure is the Battalion with Arkhan, 2 Necromancer and a Mortis Engine then fill battle line with Deathrattle stuff for cheap summonables and nuke the opponent down with spells whilst contesting objectives with constantly refilling bodies? 

I tried it in my last tournament and you have some good matchup and some really bad sadly! :/

Against stormcast and Ironjaws I just steamrolled them with MW and my list was doing good!

but against Nurgle, Daughters of Khaine and a mix of order with 2 Phoenix and 2 shooty chariots of doom I got crushed! I could not do enough wounds to those armies even with the realm spells.

1 hour ago, Ravinsild said:

do I have a decent recipe for a strong Vargheists vampire alpha-strike list?

4morghast, 6 vargheist with a VloZd as LoN Ambush?!?

10/40/10 skellis

2 necromancers  a corpse card to buff casting and regen

some wolves or an extra CP

2 hours ago, Cursed said:

I tried it in my last tournament and you have some good matchup and some really bad sadly! :/

Against stormcast and Ironjaws I just steamrolled them with MW and my list was doing good!

but against Nurgle, Daughters of Khaine and a mix of order with 2 Phoenix and 2 shooty chariots of doom I got crushed! I could not do enough wounds to those armies even with the realm spells.

So we need a punch to follow up with the magic punch... 

I’m thinking of roughly 4 lists to whittle down. 

A vampire based fist that just punches super hard. 

A deathrattle magic bomb with Arkhan for a 1 2 punch, magic then combat

A Deathmarch fist like Ianob’s list 

then I guess a more casual oriented Deathmarch list. 

So vampire fist, magic fist, Deathmarch fist and casualmarch :P

I find that the best fist is the fist of nagash, prince bloodsucking Vordhai. He's a big point investment but I rarely find myself not running him no matter what death list i'm running. The man hits like a carnosaur on adrenaline and I often find his command ability compliments other hammer units like vargheists... or in a terrifying double haymaker manfred. Plus while Vordhai takes the heat, your swarms of cheap summonables can pour over objectives. In this case instead of using your spells to resummon dead units, I tend to use stuff like vile transference to support vordhai and use and amarinthine orb soul harvest to punish tar pits.

7 hours ago, Cursed said:

/I tried it in my last tournament and you have some good matchup and some really bad sadly! :/

Did it look something like this?

Allegiance: Legion of Sacrament
Mortal Realm: Shyish

Leaders
Arkhan The Black Mortarch of Sacrament (320)
- General
- Lore of the Dead: Soul Harvest (Deathmages)
Necromancer (110)
- Artefact: Azyrbane Standard 
- Lore of the Deathmages: Overwhelming Dread
Necromancer (110)
- Lore of the Deathmages: Spectral Grasp
Vampire Lord (140)
- Mount: Flying Horror
- Artefact: Ethereal Amulet 
- Lore of the Vampires: Amaranthine Orb

Battleline
40 x Skeleton Warriors (280)
- Ancient Blades
10 x Skeleton Warriors (80)
- Ancient Blades
10 x Skeleton Warriors (80)
- Ancient Blades

Units
20 x Grave Guard (320)
- Great Wight Blades
10 x Black Knights (240)

Behemoths
Mortis Engine (180)

Battalions
Lords of Sacrament (130)

Total: 1990 / 2000
Extra Command Points: 1
Allies: 0 / 400
Wounds: 138

11 hours ago, Ravinsild said:

Did it look something like this?

my list was:

Legion of Sacrament

Arkhan

Necro - azyrbane standard

Necro - spellmiror (was less useful than I thought, not a lot of magic heavy army)

Mortis Engine

Lords of Sacrament

40 Skeletons

40 Skeletons

5 Dire wolves

5 Dire Wolves

20 Grimghast Reapers (would have been 30 if I had build the 10 missing in time! ;) )

Endless spell

Spellportal

Pendulum

Prismatic Palisade

total 1940pts

13 hours ago, Lucky Snake Eyes said:

The man hits like a carnosaur on adrenaline and I often find his command ability compliments other hammer units like vargheists

Vordhrai command ability only work on heroes, not on units like vargheist ;)

Archived