What are the limitations of regenerating models?

Ravinsild

When using Graveyard Invigorating Aura, Deathly Invocations, or even the Grand Host of Nagash Legions Innumerable Ability, where can returned models be placed? 

Do they need to be regenerated outside of 3” of enemy models even if the unit they came back to was already engaged in combat? 

Can you chain regenerate skeletons (or whatever else) into an enemy unit the unit they came back to was not in combat with? 

I know you either choose to heal wounds, or regenerate dead models, and any extra healing or regeneration is wasted. 

But where do returned from the dead models go and where can they go? I looked at the FAQ and designers commentary and nothing mentions it. 

Imo and iirc:

the deathly invocation states: at the start of the hero phase (so if things happen simultaneously you choose the order) return ... slain models to the unit.

so they have to be set up legally in the original unit, 1“ coherence,  and 3“ from unengaged Enemy units. 

If you are fighting a unit,  you can return models within3“ of the engaged...

There was a faq somewhere... I think, because one game (AoSv1) I regained a ton of ghouls and congolined them right into the skaven gunline that was shooting me to pieces.

back then, we looked up the rules, had to be within 1“ of the unit and such, but the 3“ distance rule was only stated during the movement phase, so they appeared right underneath their little skaven paws. Without the split unit rule, that now exsists, I had one guy standing next to my buffing heroes (king/necro) and the rest crashed into them.

that move kinda gave me a waac player reputation in my club, which I countered with: FEC is by definition fluff play (back ghb17)

then I remember that i read that that kinda model set up was not allowed anymore, but I guess I have to search for it, before I miss out on crazy cheese shenanigans ??

faq for FEC states that: returning models can only be set up within 3“ if one model from the unit already is within 3“ of the enemy...

but maybe they missed it for LoN

Can’t find it for LoN...

not in the LoN faq or the ghb 18 designers/faq things.

now we‘re entering raw/rai territory, since the stated it for FEC, I would assume it is intended as general rule for returning slain models, but the two guys at GW who have to cross-ref/check the rule are neck deep in kill team/ 40k right now and didn’t spot it...

but to assume is to make an ass-of-u-me...

31 minutes ago, Honk said:

There was a faq somewhere... I think, because one game (AoSv1) I regained a ton of ghouls and congolined them right into the skaven gunline that was shooting me to pieces.

back then, we looked up the rules, had to be within 1“ of the unit and such, but the 3“ distance rule was only stated during the movement phase, so they appeared right underneath their little skaven paws. Without the split unit rule, that now exsists, I had one guy standing next to my buffing heroes (king/necro) and the rest crashed into them.

that move kinda gave me a waac player reputation in my club, which I countered with: FEC is by definition fluff play (back ghb17)

then I remember that i read that that kinda model set up was not allowed anymore, but I guess I have to search for it, before I miss out on crazy cheese shenanigans ??

faq for FEC states that: returning models can only be set up within 3“ if one model from the unit already is within 3“ of the enemy...

but maybe they missed it for LoN

Just now, Honk said:

Can’t find it for LoN...

now we‘re entering raw/rai territory, since the stated it for FEC, I would assume it is intended as general rule for returning slain models, but the two guys at GW who have to cross-ref/check the rule are neck deep in kill team/ 40k right now and didn’t spot it...

I would play it like it’s the same for FEC. Man I like a lot of the FEC models.... kind of doing a Deathrattle thing right now but I wouldn’t hate playing FEC too. 

3 hours ago, Honk said:

Can’t find it for LoN...

it's stated also in the Nighthaunts battletome.

an remember that the only exception to maximum number for slain  numbers are the ghouls of a ghoul patrol

7 minutes ago, deynon said:

it's stated also in the Nighthaunts battletome.

Yes, and I‘d love to have them put that small section somewhere into the faq instead of doing that deathmarch 9“/12“ stupidity.

as of yet, rules as written go: 1“ coherency, do as you please till faq 2 comes out...

and raising the max model count with the ghoul patrol gladly was discussed and ruled in our favor. First return slain models, then add to unit to raise max

7 minutes ago, Honk said:

Yes, and I‘d love to have them put that small section somewhere into the faq instead of doing that deathmarch 9“/12“ stupidity.

as of yet, rules as written go: 1“ coherency, do as you please till faq 2 comes out...

and raising the max model count with the ghoul patrol gladly was discussed and ruled in our favor. First return slain models, then add to unit to raise max

I realised two videos about the deathmarch...better said... I commented the faq and both videos quite time complaining about that mess that it's deathmarch craziness.

About the ghoul patrol you can surpass max number, there is a faq about it. It's good in this way, it gives more the idea of a continuing developoing of forces.It's only a pity it's not applied also to  units like zombies and maybe skeletons.

Archived