Let's Chat Zarbag's Gits

PlasticCraic

thanks everyone. such a crazy little band of monsters, can't wait to get them in action.

Sourtongue just seems like tonnes of fun, honestly I think I'd be laughing so much I wouldn't even be mad if he spun off and wiped out half my own grots.

I have a more serious tournament coming up on the 3rd, everything legal, this is what I came up with for initial playtesting:

https://www.underworldsdb.com/shared.php?deck=0,N116,N107,N105,N102,N100,N98,N96,N94,N93,N92,N317,234,L24,284,252,N319,N310,N303,384,N543,373,424,N436,369,376,395,391,N529,347,331,368,348

Thoughts, comments etc appreciated. Will be play testing over the next several days. 

Edited by Intrinsic

2 hours ago, Intrinsic said:

I have a more serious tournament coming up on the 3rd, everything legal, this is what I came up with for initial playtesting:

https://www.underworldsdb.com/shared.php?deck=0,N116,N107,N105,N102,N100,N98,N96,N94,N93,N92,N317,234,L24,284,252,N319,N310,N303,384,N543,373,424,N436,369,376,395,391,N529,347,331,368,348

Thoughts, comments etc appreciated. Will be play testing over the next several days. 

Full disclosure: I haven't played with or against this warband, so this is pure theorycraft. That said, I think it's relatively sound :)

Objectives: I'm not a fan of Catching Up for this warband. In round 1, you almost certainly want to go second if you have this card (because then you will score objectives after your opponent does, so you'll be more likely to have less glory). Unfortunately, you have nine fighters and are roughly a 10-to-1 favorite to lose the initiative roll at the start of the game, which means that this choice will almost always be out of your hands. And since a lot of people like to go second in round 1 in order to have "final say" for pushes and the like, this card will be tough to score in round 1. In rounds 2 and 3, the initiative will still matter a bit, but at least the odds will be 50/50. Unfortunately, that also doesn't work well in your favor, because this might render it unscorable more often than not. Instead, I recommend that you carry Masterstroke for starters. You're already running Trap, Pit Trap, Ready for Action, Fungal Blessing, and Volley Caller, all of which can trigger score Masterstroke immediately. Even though four of these cards do only 1 damage, you can plan to use three of the four to score Masterstroke as needed. (If you draw Masterstroke and Precise Use of Force, just take two fighters out of action! In all seriousness, if you draw them both, you'll have plenty of options throughout the round, so if you have reactions in hand that you'll want to use by the end of the round, just score Masterstroke now, draw a new card, and try to score that, too.)

Other concerns: Malicious Kill is effectively round 2/3 only, and Denial is round 3 only. Against tanky aggro warbands, you might have trouble getting 3 glory in round 1, which might interfere with Shining Example. I'm guessing that Denial is your answer to defensive or three-man warbands?

Gambits: I'm not a fan of Little Waaagh! Let's look at three common attack profiles in your warband and compare this card with Fuelled by Fury:

• 2 swords:
    • You will roll two misses 16/36 of the time. When this happens with Little Waaagh!, you get an extra die roll; when this happens with Fuelled by Fury, you get two. Advantage: FUELLED BY FURY.
    • You will roll a hit and a miss 16/36 of the time. When this happens, you get an extra die roll apiece. Advantage: PUSH.
    • You will roll two hits 4/36 of the time. When this happens with little Waaagh!, you still get an extra die roll, but two of those four combos already include one crit, and a third includes two crits, so ... how many more do you need? Advantage: Technically LITTLE WAAAGH!, but very likely a PUSH.
  • 2 hammers:
    • You will roll two misses 1/4 of the time. When this happens, Fuelled by Fury is better.
    • You will roll one miss 1/2 of the time. When this happens, it's a push.
    • You will roll two hits 1/4 of the time. When this happens, Little Waaagh! is better, but not by much.
  • 3 swords:
    • You will roll three misses 8/27 of the time. When this happens, Fuelled by Fury is the clear winner.
    • You will roll two misses 12/27 of the time. When this happens, Fuelled by Fury is the clear winner.
    • You will roll one miss 6/27 of the time. When this happens, it's a push.
    • You will roll three hits 1/27 of the time. When this happens, Little Waagh! is almost always better, but it often won't matter. (I say "almost always" because you'll sometimes want to reroll a hit for a chance at a crit in order to prevent your opponent from rolling one or two crits and beating you, in which case they're practically a push.)
  • 3 hammers:
    • You will roll three misses 1/8 of the time. When this happens, Fuelled by Fury is the clear winner.
    • You will roll two misses 3/8 of the time. When this happens, Fuelled by Fury is the clear winner.
    • You will roll one miss 3/8 of the time. When this happens, it's a push.
    • You will roll three hits 1/8 of the time. When this happens, Little Waagh! is almost always better, but it often won't matter. (See above.)

Hooray for copy and paste! :)

Anyway, I think you want Fuelled by Fury here. It's still not my favorite card—I might play Last Chance or Rebound instead, either to protect a vital piece or to do some free damage to someone with your plethora of targets—but it's more often the better choice than Little Waaagh! These two cards are designed to turn would-be misses into hits, and that's exactly when Fuelled by Fury provides the advantage. By contrast, Little Waaagh! is better when you've already rolled a bunch of hits, which doesn't happen very often anyway.

Sneaky Step is good in that it can move you into position to trigger a Scurry, or maybe get Snirk in a better position to run at someone, but you know what's even better once you really look at how well it manipulates things? Great Concussion. It also has the added benefit of getting enemy fighters off of flanks, objective tokens, your territory, their territory, etc.

Upgrades: The only one I really don't like is Endless Whirl. The way I see it, Snirk will usually not be adjacent to any fighters. If he is adjacent to an enemy fighter, you should be able to do at least 1 damage with his standard "Scatter 4, choose 3" action, so the only time Endless Whirl is better is if you have two or three enemy fighters adjacent to him. I can't see that happening often enough to make this card better than just taking his usual action (unless you're stuck near an edge hex, maybe, but it's Scatter 4, choose 3, so c'mon already). Given that you're packing Deathly Fortitude and Sudden Growth onto a fighter who rolls three defense dice, why not pack The Slumbering Key instead? (Aside from the fact that it's not really a key, I mean. The Slumbering Key and Silver Tether really should switch names. It's annoying.)

So! Those are the tweaks I would make before putting the deck on the table. Hope this helps!

Edited by Tutenkharnage
Typos are fun!

Thanks for the reply Tutenkharnage. I am expecting to face a lot of Stormcast at this tourney, my main reason for Denial. 

On Great Concussion, I was running through a 4 card list and keeping 2: Sneaky Step, Great Concussion, Countercharge and Make Some Noise. I plan on testing all 4, but I do see that Great Concussion allows me to really control the board.

I hadn't considered Last Chance, but with so many dodge characters it will often be a 66% success rate roll. Good odds. I'll give it and Fuelled a try. At one point I had Fuelled in the deck, thanks for posting the math on that. 

Slumbering Key makes sense, I've gone ahead and swapped Whirl out. I personally have some terrible luck with my Sourtounge, but that's gotta turn around eventually. 

And finally Catching Up. I've been doubting it the whole time, but it performed well for me last night. I'll definitely give Masterstroke a try. 

I've been using the board from the Nightvault starter with 2 sets of starting spots next to each other. I use Drizgit far left  with the squigs immediate right and back right. If the board is clogged on the upper right, I start Drizgit and squigs there instead. In the middle second row in the slots next to each other, Prog and Sourtounge. In the last two slots next two each other, Zarbag in 4th row with an archer next to him in the 3rd row. In the far right slots, top and bottom of the board, the other archers. For the longest time I started archers next to each other, but Volley Caller has been such an inconsistent draw for me and giving Sourtounge a scurry movement with prog has really tested well. 

• Thanks 1

• 2 weeks later...

Played my 16 player tournament today, went 4-1, 2nd overall. My deck has changed a lot over the last couple weeks, here is what I ended up using:

https://www.underworldsdb.com/shared.php?deck=0,N98,N92,N317,L24,284,252,N319,384,N543,373,424,N436,369,395,391,N529,347,331,368,348,N539,273,336,N347,N303,292,257,316,N499,329,N340,412

Round 1 - Win vs Magore's Fiends 16-12

Round 2 - Win vs Farstriders 15-9

Round 3 - Win vs Sepulchral Guard 12-7

Round 4 - Win vs Spiteclaw's Swarm 16-10 

Round 5 - Loss vs Magore's Fiends 17-11

I played well overall and had a chance to win the entire tourney, but my opponent in game 5 made all has rolls and had a healthy lead at the end of round 1. I got lucky to claw my way to 11 after that rough first round. Hope this will inspire more people to give goblins a try. They're not easy to play but super rewarding. And Snirk actually cooperated today, instead of trolling me like he usually does. 

• Like 2

@Intrinsic thanks, that makes sense.  I like the early scurry on Sourtounge.

I've only used the Warband once, and I was lucky enough to get Volley Caller out early - combined with Prog in support, it can be absolutely devastating.

That's probably my main takeaway so far actually - the Low Cunning upgrade is excellent in combination with Volley Caller.  Those arrows shooting twice, with +1 damage...it's like a little Kunnin Rukk!

4 hours ago, PlasticCraic said:

@Intrinsic thanks, that makes sense.  I like the early scurry on Sourtounge.

I've only used the Warband once, and I was lucky enough to get Volley Caller out early - combined with Prog in support, it can be absolutely devastating.

That's probably my main takeaway so far actually - the Low Cunning upgrade is excellent in combination with Volley Caller.  Those arrows shooting twice, with +1 damage...it's like a little Kunnin Rukk!

Sorry to burst your bubble, but Low Cunning is for range 1-2 attack actions.  Bow is range 3 so doesn't get the +1 damage bonus. 

• Sad 1

The restricted banned/list got me excited about deck building, so instead of getting any work done, I made a test deck! The aim was to keep this close to my last played tournament deck, and it wasn't that bad really. Excited to bring this to testing!

https://www.underworldsdb.com/shared.php?deck=0,N98,N92,N317,L24,384,N543,373,N436,369,391,N529,331,N539,273,336,N347,N303,292,316,N499,N340,282,272,N94,N96,N113,414,374,N404,327,N105,N403

The Gitz are a very solid warband, but not the easiest to play. Mistakes usually end up in free glory for your opponent. I wouldn't normally recommend this warband for say a completely new player but for someone with plenty of wargaming experience, it shouldn't be a problem. 

• Like 1

One Objective I like with these guys is Extreme Flank, it's ridiculously easy to score.

Because they don't have to "Scurry" the same direction, you can have two guys next to each other in the middle of the board (maybe pinging off Volley Caller together), and they both zoom off to opposite flanks in a single Activation :D

Edited by PlasticCraic

Traveled to a tournament today, full 5 round, best of 3. I went 5-0 and picked up my first Shadeglass trophy! Several of my opponents complimented me on my play and said they'd never seen what goblins could really do, which made me happy. Maybe one of these days I'll face another Gitz player, that would be outstanding!

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • LOVE IT! 1

18 hours ago, Intrinsic said:

Traveled to a tournament today, full 5 round, best of 3. I went 5-0 and picked up my first Shadeglass trophy! Several of my opponents complimented me on my play and said they'd never seen what goblins could really do, which made me happy. Maybe one of these days I'll face another Gitz player, that would be outstanding!

Grats, well done! I just picked them up and looking forward to giving them a spin. Mind sharing your list? ;)

5 hours ago, Khellian said:

Grats, well done! I just picked them up and looking forward to giving them a spin. Mind sharing your list? ;)

Absolutely. I was happy with how every card performed except Countercharge. It tested well for me, but I only faced one ultra aggressive warband and I ended up discarding it in several games. I'll probably swap it out for Distraction in the future. 

https://www.underworldsdb.com/shared.php?deck=0,N98,N92,N317,L24,384,N543,373,N436,369,391,N529,331,273,336,N347,N303,292,316,N499,N340,282,N94,N96,374,N404,327,N105,N403,N486,243,414,N511

• Like 1

Two excellent articles on Zarbag's Gits (written before and after the ban list) which you might enjoy reading:

https://steelcityunderworlds.com/2018/10/28/zarbags-gitz-mushroom-madness/

https://steelcityunderworlds.com/2018/12/02/zarbags-gitz-2-fungal-familiarity/

A couple of things that throws up:

- I still get confused about Moving / Charging / Has Charged / Has a Move Token etc.  What is the implication for Tome of Glories: is it that Fighter who is taking the Action?  And if so, do they need to be Activated to do that, and therefore do you have to wait until you have removed the Charge token between rounds?

- The Stormcast AOE bombs are terrifying on paper, has anyone taken on a Warband using that tech and how did it go?

• 3 weeks later...

Dear Gents,

I'm primarily playing cursebreakers but my 2nd warband that I'm trying to make work is Goblins.   I'm trying to make a different type of deck for them than my aggressive cursebreakers so I've made this deck.

I'm focusing on lots of push tricks to get my guys the best use of scurry.  

How would you rebuild the deck?  Should I make upgrades that are glory related instead?

https://www.underworldsdb.com/shared.php?deck=0,N374,N92,N94,N88,278,N317,N95,N347,N303,N98,N105,336,345,N400,N446,N102,395,374,378,379,420,N513,N511,N93,318,N543,N426,N319,N506,N403,N531,N378

Faction: Zarbag's Gitz

0 Banned cards | 4 Restricted cards

Objectives (12)
Our Only Way Out
Call that a Win
Mad Scurry
Malicious Kill
Obliterated
Scragged
Catching Up
Extreme Flank (R)
Fired Up (R)
Martyred
Supremacy
Tempting Target

Gambits (10)
Distraction
Last Chance
On Your Feet
Fungal Blessing
Make Some Noise
Sneaky Step
Centre of Attention
Confusion
Irresistible Prize
Sidestep

Upgrades (10)
Acrobatic
Concealed Weapon
Coordinated Attack
Incredible Strength (R)
Soultrap (R)
Great Strength
Low Cunning
Mirror of Spite
Ready for the Fight
Sudden Growth

• 2 weeks later...

Hi Everyone,

I'm quite new to using the Gitz but so far I've done pretty well but I'm a bit confused on Drigzits ability.  My only problem is that I'm not sure if Drigzit can charge and move his squigs with him? On the card it says when he makes a move action he can move adjacent squigs, does this apply when he charges too? I'm going to the Grand clash in a couple of weeks so I want to fully get the rules before I go 😁