Let's Chat Zarbag's Gits

PlasticCraic

So the preview is up on the Community site, what do people think?

https://www.warhammer-community.com/2018/10/03/3rd-orkt-warband-focus-zarbags-gitzgw-homepage-post-2/

My own hot takes:

- The "Army within an Army" of the Squigs + Handler is pretty neat, although the Squigs maybe don't look as damaging as the hype text claims?

- The Fanatic is fun and thematic, but obviously very random.   Main use will probably be for pushing opponents around rather than damaging

- Hidden Pathways might be a good one for him, to get him in your opponent's backfield?

- Every army with access to magic seems to have a Level 2 caster, and the Grots are no exception

- Interesting mechanic(s) for moving multiple models simultaneously...

- However a lot of your models look like they will just feed Glory to your opponents

- Attacks that target all adjacent enemy models will be super powerful against us, given our swarm mechanics!

- Overall looks like a very tricksy Warband, that will take a while to learn, and lean heavily on combos

- Even moreso than for other Warbands, we probably don't know where they stand until we see the cards available

What are other people's thoughts?

The sheer number of varying fighter profiles, special rules, inspire conditions, etc. in this band is almost too much for me to even try and gauge yet.  I can definitely see the fear of handing out glory like candy with this team if you aren't careful.

I think your point of not knowing where they stand until we  see their cards is more true for this warband than any other I've seen yet.  If nothing else I feel like Gambit spells are going to be a big deal for this team's ability to close out kills due to the entire team not having an attack with a damage higher than 2. 

If nothing else Snirk gets to carry the accolade of being the only fighter in all of Underworlds thus far that can have 3 defense dice without any gears or gambits in play.... I guess he also gets to carry the accolade of being the only fighter who can scatter into a wall all game and legitimately never do anything useful if your dice particularly hate you.

And I thought the tzeentch team was giving me some head scratchers on trying to envision how to play them... 

They look super fun to me. I like the idea of using flickering step to make movement even more random, especially for the Fanatic. He seems very comical with Acrobatics!. 

Great concussion will be great to be able to pile up your grots in order to have a big Scurry chain of movement. 

Could use illusory fighter to get the Fanatic to safety as well as hidden path. The idea of the fanatic running rampant in the backfield is glorious.  

Honestly, the Fanatic will be the funnest model to play for me. I've always loved cards with walls of text and weird special rules. The 0 movement and 3 dodge is hysterical.

also, the fanatic will love Time Trap as he can use his action 2 times in a row!

Edited by Anthony225
  • Like 2

The wording on Sourtongue's ability is a little odd.  Do I have this right?

1. You roll to scatter 4 hexes but then push him 3 hexes "along the chain".  I initially envisioned this as him moving, sequentially, along the scattered hexes before him but why would you bother rolling a 4th hex if you only push into 3?  Do you instead choose 3 of the 4 hexes, but still sequentially?  For example, maybe there's blocked/lethal terrain or a friendly unit in hex 2 you want to avoid so you push to hex 1, then 3 and 4?  This gives you a little more control over where you're going and explains why you'd roll to scatter 4 hexes yet only push to 3 of them?

2. It goes on to say that if you would push to an occupied hex, before you push, that figure takes 1 damage and is then pushed 1 hex, which must be further away from Sourtongue.  Since you push the opposing figures first, can you push them into a hex further "along the chain" and hit them again?  That would still put them farther away from you at the time since you have to push them first before Sourtongue pushes into the target hex.  This seems pretty strong, so much so I thought perhaps the intent was that you have to push targets out of the "chain".

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, Daveman said:

The wording on Sourtongue's ability is a little odd.  Do I have this right?

1. You roll to scatter 4 hexes but then push him 3 hexes "along the chain".  I initially envisioned this as him moving, sequentially, along the scattered hexes before him but why would you bother rolling a 4th hex if you only push into 3?  Do you instead choose 3 of the 4 hexes, but still sequentially?  For example, maybe there's blocked/lethal terrain or a friendly unit in hex 2 you want to avoid so you push to hex 1, then 3 and 4?  This gives you a little more control over where you're going and explains why you'd roll to scatter 4 hexes yet only push to 3 of them?

2. It goes on to say that if you would push to an occupied hex, before you push, that figure takes 1 damage and is then pushed 1 hex, which must be further away from Sourtongue.  Since you push the opposing figures first, can you push them into a hex further "along the chain" and hit them again?  That would still put them farther away from you at the time since you have to push them first before Sourtongue pushes into the target hex.  This seems pretty strong, so much so I thought perhaps the intent was that you have to push targets out of the "chain".

1. You place a hex for Scatter ability on board how you want. You roll 4 dices (cuz its Scatter 4). You pick and choose order of 3 dices from that 4. You move on chain that that 3 dices show you by matching symbols on dice and Scatter hex in order you choosed in previus step. Done. On Scatter you roll all dices at once and you pick order in which they resolve in chain, i think you were doing it in diffirent way. So rolling 4 and picking from it 3 dices allow you to get better result than 3 out of 3.

Scatter step by step: you put Scatter hex on board in way you want (you can't move him after that untill you get full chain) -> you throw amount of dice that Scatter ability have (in this case Scatter 4 - so 4 dices) -> you pick one dice that will start that chain and you put that dice on first hex of chain (by matching symbol on dice and Scatter hex and going in that direction from point that ability discribe - in this case from fighter hex) -> you pick 2nd dice and you put it on 2nd hex of chain (by matching symbol on dice and Scatter hex and going in that direction from 1st hex of chain) -> you pick 3rd dice and put on 3rd hex of chain (by matching symbol on dice and Scatter hex and going in that direction from 2nd hex of chain) -> Done, you have your chain.

2. So far, by wording, yes you can. Ofc, you will need to have dice in right direction. If I'm not mistaken, in best scenerio you have 3 hexes to choose where to push enemy fighter, so you want to push him in hex that you have dice to pick from that what you have left from that 4 dices. In worst case you have 0 hexes to choose where to push him (if all 3 futher away hexes are blocked or occupated).

Edited by Reggi
  • Like 2

I'm thinking you will be wanting to split your warband into 2 subbands, with the netter/squigs/herder running together to form a defensive line, the 3 archers and shaman being a ranged component and the fanatic to really just disrupt the field.

With the low damage on their cards, I fully expect these guys to play somewhat defensively, perhaps leaning more towards objective play/denial tactics while trying to minimise giving up too much glory.

I am hoping the cards that come out have a lot more random insanity to them.. I would love to see cards that are just devastating and with chances to completely backfire and then having the warband rely on their numbers to see them through.

Scurry is going to be key to getting the most out of them, or, distraction tactics with the fanatic while you position the rest of your Gobbos. I get the feeling that, even more so than SG or TotBQ this is going to be a warband that relies heavily upon near perfect positioning. If you ****** up your Scurry or Squig Herding those measly 4 activations are going to seem even more restrictive. 

19 hours ago, froo said:

With the low damage on their cards, I fully expect these guys to play somewhat defensively, perhaps leaning more towards objective play/denial tactics while trying to minimise giving up too much glory.

I get the vibe  that the Gits may very well end up having some surprising damage output if Stab 'Em In The Knee is any indication. Assuming you can indeed scurry nearby fighters off of a charge activation, it seems like it'd be quite doable to use that gambit to bump yourself up to the coveted 4 damage threshold as long as you're charging with a 2 damage fighter.

That is however predicated on the idea that making a charge would let you immediately move up 2 supporting fighters before you make the attack roll itself. It seems like that's how it would work based on how the rulebook defines charge actions.

Even if Stab 'Em in The Knee ends up being the only damage ploy in the deck, it  at least makes for a hell of a threat on someone rushing into multiple gits.

Those "targets all adjacent enemy fighters" cards are going to be so ugly!

I'm excited to see what the unique cards are...especially magic.  The magic so far has not exactly been OP (which is a good thing), but I want to see what we get, because it's new and shiny!  What can that sneaky Level 2 wizard do?

https://imgur.com/a/qE8IyFQ

Faction cards. Some real good ones for the Grots in there imo.

For Upgrades, Grizzled Survivor, Lurker, Volley Caller, and Ravenous seem alright. Fairly mediocre overall though.

Ploys are great though. The only one I wouldn't consider if 'Orrible Leer, every other one seems reasonable in one deck archetype or another.

For objectives, Vicious Killer, Obliterated, and Malacious Kill jump out at me, with Flash Finale being an option if Magic Decks turn out good.

Very excited for these guys! Already got mine built, hopefully can play some with them this weekend!

• Thanks 1

Played in a 3 round tournament today with the Gitz. As this was mostly an introduction to Shadespire for a majority of the players, the TO decided to restrict it to Nightvault core box + the 2 rerelease boxes, Gitz and the Nine sets. My power deck was left mostly as it came, I only swapped out Orrible Leer for Potion of Rage. I made a few changes to the Objective deck, not sure what exactly I swapped out, but it was mostly the stuff focused on magic. 

1st game vs Cursebreakers - Win 11-8 

2nd game vs Reavers Tie 8-8

3rd game vs Steelheart Loss 15-16

Overall 3rd place on points 

My impressions. They die easy and the equips are super underwhelming. My 2nd and 3rd games were vs seasoned players who refined their decks a bit more and I was still able to hold my own. I tried to use Inspired Sourtounge a lot and he did 0 damage to the enemy in 3 games. Somewhow with 2 enemy adjacent he managed to scatter 4 spaces perfectly and kill my own Prog. Poor Prog. 

Some of my Gitz specific mvp cards: Malicious Kill scored me 2 in every single game. Mad Scurry and Dank Haven scored in 2 of 3 games. For Power, Jealous Hex, Make Some Noise, Ravenous and Fungal Blessing all did well. I unfortunately never drew Volley Caller but I suspect it would have done some work as well. 

10 hours ago, Intrinsic said:

I tried to use Inspired Sourtounge a lot and he did 0 damage to the enemy in 3 games. Somewhow with 2 enemy adjacent he managed to scatter 4 spaces perfectly and kill my own Prog. Poor Prog. 

Yesterday i played with  my Eyes of the Nine against my friend Zarbag's Gits. In one game using Sourtounge he did total 3 dmg to my tzaangor killing him, and did 1 dmg to both of Acolytes. And i did something like 5 attacks trying to kill him and he defended all of them cuz of 3 defence dices.

Maybe it was just a lucky rolls, but i was impress how good he was o_O

My own experience with Sourtongue was pretty great yesterday, though I can fully chalk that up to dice being dice (they giveth and they taketh away). In the three games that I played he was consistently able to score me Obliterated by the end of turn 1 or 2.

The highlights were definitely spinning into the Briar Queen 3 times in one activation for 3 unavoidable damage and an absurd 4-hammer scatter roll which allowed the little lunatic to run over Targor, killling him striking him from the records of mortality and finishing with a bump into Garrek to get some damage on his card.

The game where I sent him bowling through nighthaunts resulted in him getting Acrobatic and Sudden Growth. 4 defense dice and 5 HP made him a very tough little git to shift.

Dice will be dice however and I was fortunate enough to not roll a ton of half moons and/or full moons on any of those scatters, which could have sent him veering back into my own team.

Edited by Skyeline

19 hours ago, Intrinsic said:

Somewhow with 2 enemy adjacent he managed to scatter 4 spaces perfectly and kill my own Prog. Poor Prog. 

Don't you roll 4 dice, but then choose only 3 of them?

(You also roll the dice first then choose which ones and in which order - so unless you get the same symbol 4 times, you always have some control over him).

9 minutes ago, PlasticCraic said:

I ordered mine via the website because I knew I wouldn't get into a store this weekend, so I'm still waiting for them to arrive.

Do we know when the Card Library is usually updated?  Is it the Monday after release?  Please say it's the Monday after release!

I heard that they dont want to update library every release so soon anymore. They told that on stream few days ago. 

You have all cards here: https://www.underworldsdb.com/

Edited by Reggi
  • Thanks 2

7 minutes ago, PlasticCraic said:

Don't you roll 4 dice, but then choose only 3 of them?

(You also roll the dice first then choose which ones and in which order - so unless you get the same symbol 4 times, you always have some control over him).

Yes, I rolled 4 half support, sending him straight back into my Prog and killing him. 

11 hours ago, ChatBatFun said:

Can you play against old Shadespire warbands with the gitz, even if u don’t have the Nightvault starter set

You'll need access to the magic dice if you want to use any of the magic cards, but otherwise absolutely.