Da Gronkz - Ironjawz - Da Boyz Iz Heer!!!

Kakwah

I have recently picked up an Ironjawz army and will be playing it as my main AOS army going forward for the foreseeable future.  Noticing that a few of the army blogs have dropped off as people have moved off to play other (filthier) armies I thought that I should step up and attempt to chronicle some of my journey with the allegiance in the Australian AOS scene..

My army is actually off getting commission painted at the moment, and I had an event coming up before they got back.  Being keen to play the Ironjawz I put the call out and @PlasticCraic stepped up and offered the use of his army.  After negotiating to transport the army with another bro we were on.  Having never played a game with the IJ before Pete kindly wrote me the following list which I submitted.

Megaboss on Maw-Krusha (440)
- General
- Trait: Ironclad 
- Artefact: Guardan's Coronet 

Orruk Weirdnob Shaman (120)

Orruk Megaboss (140)
- Artefact: Luminary Rod 

Orruk Warchanter (80)
- Artefact: Aetherquartz Brooch 

Orruk Warchanter (80)

Battleline
3 x Orruk Gore Gruntas (140)
10 x Orruk Ardboys (160)
5 x Orruk Brutes (180)

Battalions
Bloodtoofs (120)
Ironfist (180)

Endless Spells
Chronomantic Cogs (60)

Total: 1980 / 2000
Extra Command Points: 2
Allies: 0 / 400
Wounds: 119

As you can see it was a pretty all in list, but a blast to play.

Game 1 Sydney Gt 2018

Opponent - Ollie
Allegiance: Nighthaunt
Mortal Realm: Shyish
LEADERS
Knight of Shrouds on Ethereal Steed (140)
- General
- Command Trait : Ruler of the Spirit Hosts
- Artefact : Pendant of the Fell Wind
Reikenor the Grimhailer (180)
- Lore of the Underworlds : Reaping Scythe
Guardian of Souls with Nightmare Lantern (140)
- Lore of the Underworlds : Soul Cage
- Infernal Lantern (Artefact) : Beacon of Nagashizzar
Guardian of Souls with Nightmare Lantern (140)
- Lore of the Underworlds : Shademist

UNITS
40 x Chainrasp Horde (280)
10 x Grimghast Reapers (140)
10 x Grimghast Reapers (140)
10 x Bladegheist Revenants (180)
10 x Bladegheist Revenants (180)

BEHEMOTHS
Mourngul (300)

BATTALIONS
Shroudguard (110)

ENDLESS SPELLS
Chronomantic Cogs (60)

TOTAL: 1990 / 2000
EXTRA COMMAND POINTS: 1
ALLIES: 0 / 400
WOUNDS: 113

Ollie is also fairly new to AOS and we both lined up on the frontline of our deployment zones.
Preview attachment 20180929_085948.jpg

I took first turn, stacked 4 extra attacks on all the things and murdered a whole heap of ghosts.  No the most tactical affair but we did have fun playing it.  I am not sure who was more impressed with the damage output from the Megaboss on Mawcrusher, me or Ollie!  Super fun game ended as a Major win to me.  Best moment from the game was his mournghoul coming up behind my wizard, failing a charge and my shaman just footing him off. 

Checking the tournament standings after round 1 had me actually winning the tournament!  Spoiler - it was all downhill from here!

Displaying Screenshot_20180929-114013_Twitter.jpg

Game 2 Sydney GT 2018

Game 2 I found myself on the lofty heights of table 2 playing against Daughters of Khaine - they are meant to be good right?

Battleplan - Places of Arcane Power

Jesse Perkins - Borderline Gaming
Allegiance: Daughters Of Khaine
Realm: Ulgu
- Temple: Hagg Nar
LEADERS
Slaughter Queen on Cauldron Of Blood (330)
- Artefact : Thousand and One Dark Blessings
- Prayer : Crimson Rejuvenation
Hag Queen (60)
- Artefact : Iron Circlet
- Prayer : Catechism of Murder
Hag Queen (60)
- Prayer : Blessing of Khaine
Bloodwrack Shrine (220)
- General
- Command Trait : Devoted Desciples
- Lore of Shadows : Mindrazor
UNITS
10 x Blood Sisters (280)
10 x Blood Sisters (280)
5 x Blood Stalkers (160)
5 x Blood Stalkers (160)
30 x Witch Aelves (270)
-Sacrificial Knives and Blade Bucklers
BATTALIONS
Temple Nest (130)

TOTAL: 1950 / 2000
EXTRA COMMAND POINTS: 2
WOUNDS: 126

I decided that the plan should be to try and pin him in his deployment zone use my chars to try and get a big enough lead on points to see the victory out.  I could use my alpha to take out his snakes and combat power - rather than the chariots which I thought would be harder to shift.  It kind of went to plan, although I forgot some key things in this game, firstly that I had +4 to charge! so I did not declare some key charges t1 that would of pinned units in place and secondarily I forgot  to run my foot Megaboss onto an objective t1.  It ended up a really close game which I lost by 1 pt.  If I had claimed that objective t1 It could of been a draw which would of ended up a minor loss on attrition.  For all the power of the DoK book I did not feel like a second class army at any point during the game and with a few key things going different ways I could of won.  This was actually my game of the tournament - Jesse was a top bloke and we sunk a few beers whilst rolling heaps of dice and taking models off - that`s what its all about!

Result - Major Loss

Game 3 Sydney GT 2018

Battleplan: Starstrike

James "Moops" Moorhouse
Allegiance: Order Draconis
Realm: Ulgu
LEADERS
Dragonlord Brian (340), Dragonlord
- General
- Command Trait : Strategic Genius
- Shield & Dragon Blade
- Artefact: Doppelganger Cloak
Dragonlord Azza (340), Dragonlord
- Shield & Dragon Blade
- Artefact : Quicksilver Potion
Dragonlord Doil (340), Dragonlord
- War Horn & Dragon Blade
Archmage on Dragon Pants (320), Archmage On
Dragon

- Arcane Tome
- Allies
UNITS
5 x Dragon Blades (140)
5 x Dragon Blades (140)
5 x Dragon Blades (140)

BATTALIONS
Dragonlord Host (130)
ENDLESS SPELLS
Geminids of Uhl-Gysh (40)
Prismatic Palisade (30)
Soulsnare Shackles (20)
Malevolent Maelstrom (20)

TOTAL: 2000 / 2000
ALLIES: 320 / 400
WOUNDS: 86

Here be Dragons! This was an intimidating list for sure.  Normally in this battleplan I try not to commit too much to early and wait and see where the objectives drop.  Seeing as though James had the speed to reach out and touch me t1 I decided that my best plan of action was to try and take the fight to the dragons, hopefully doing enough damage to ensure the long game would go my way.  He did not have a lot of units that could actually capture objectives so if i took a couple of the prince units and a couple of dragons out early I would have a chance.  Easy yeah?

Turns out dragons are pretty tough.  I killed a dragon on the charge and wrecked some of the dragon princes but the other dragons hit back pretty hard and the mawcrusher went down easier than expected not saving any of the d6 wound attacks.  This left a couple of Dragons free to chase down my remaining IJ and the game was more or less over before any objectives dropped down.

Result - Major Loss

At this point a mate made the point that none of my games had lasted an hour yet (we were allowed 2 3/4 hours per round) I guess what can you expect when your all in on the first turn as hard as I was.

Quiet night as I had to drive home to help out with some domestic duties in the evening and back the next morning for:

Game 4 Sydney GT 2018

Battleplan: The Relocating Orb

LEADERS
Lord-Ordinator
- General
- Trait: We Cannot Fail
- Artefact: God-forged Blade
Gavriel Sureheart
 Lord-Relictor
- Prayer: Translocation
UNITS
5 x Judicators (160)
- Skybolt Bows
- 1x Shockbolt Bows
5 x Liberators (100)
- Warhammer & Shield
- 1x Grandhammers
5 x Liberators (100)
- Warhammer & Shield
- 1x Grandhammers
10 x Evocators (400)
- 5x Grandstaves
- Lore of Invigoration: Celestial Blades
10 x Evocators (400)
- 5x Grandstaves
- Lore of Invigoration: Speed of Lightning
3 x Castigators (80)
10 x Skinks (60)
- Boltspitters & Moonstone Clubs
- Allies
10 x Skinks (60)
- Boltspitters & Moonstone Clubs
- Allies
WAR MACHINES
Celestar Ballista (100)
Celestar Ballista (100)
Celestar Ballista (100)
EXTRA COMMAND POINTS: 0
ALLIES: 120 / 400
WOUNDS: 152

So stormcast goodstuff?  Pete said that the list had "spammed all the undercosted ****** from the new book" - this did not fill be with a lot of confidence.  After listening to a couple of people in the morning I was terrified of the Evocators (turns out rightly so!) and was expecting them to start up in the sky and punish me for committing too hard on the first turn.  As it ended up he started with 1 unit and Gavriel in the sky, as well as the 3 Ballistas. I castled up and actually gave him first turn, expecting him to drop the unit of Evocators and charge in, hoping that I could counter punch with my heavy hitters and go from there.  As it turns out he just dropped the ballisas and shot 10 wounds off of the Mawcrusher!! , leaving the other unit of evocators in the sky.  At this point I sort of decided that I needed to go for it or I wasnt going to have an army left and made my move.  I took alot of stuff out but with the 2 evocator units he basically mopped up my army.  They seem like a balanced warscroll!!

Preview attachment 20180930_090027.jpg

Result - Major Loss

This was the only game where I felt my opponents toys were superior to mine, and I felt a little helpless.  Hopefully we get some toys like that when we get a new book!!

Game 5 Sydney GT 2018

Battleplan: Focal Points

Fued Oner – Lords of Liverpool
Allegiance: Legion of Azgorh
Mortal Realm: Shyish
LEADERS
Bull Centaur Taur'ruk (160)
- Artefact : Banshee Blade
Bull Centaur Taur'ruk (160)
- Artefact : Blade of Endings
Daemonsmith (100)
- Darkforged Weapon
Shar'tor the Executioner (220)
- General
UNITS
3 x Bull Centaur Renders (180)
30 x Infernal Guard Ironsworn (240)
WAR MACHINES
Magma Cannon (140)
Magma Cannon (140)
Magma Cannon (140)
BATTALIONS
Execution Herd (160)
WOUNDS: 120

For the final game I was matched up with Fued and his Chaos Dorfs - promised to be a great game.  My plan was use my wizard and a warchanter to sit on my back objectives,  take the fight to him and try to pin him in his deployment zone, hopefully build up enough of a lead to win the game.  Oh, and dodge magma canons!  The killing part went basically to plan with me getting +5 attacks on everything and decimating the infernal guard unit, and 1 of the Taur`ruks T1.  When the other taur`ruk swang back at my Mawcrusher with dmg 5 I knew I was in for a hurting.  Basically the plan almost worked, with Fued getting a t5 after the last of my models died on t4 and that was enough to get him ahead by 1 point.  Close margins!

Result - Major Loss.

Preview attachment 20180930_130157.jpg

So that was the games all wrapped up and I was lucky enough to have 5 good games against a variety of different armies none of which I had ever played before.  So final result was 1 and 4, but I managed to get my secondary objectives and decent soft scores landing me at 42/72.  I also managed to walk away with Best Sports which I was absolutely stoked with.

Preview attachment 20180930_160649.jpg

So my overall thoughts on the list that I played was that whilst it was super fun, I do not think I want to play something that all in.  I normally enjoy balanced more flexible lists that I can play a more reactive game with.  Things I want to look into:

• More brutes, less goregruntas.
  • Bigger unit of brutes - maybe 10 with the 2 inch weapons.
  • Do I need the wizard?  Cogs is cool and foot seems fun if unreliable but points are tight and I was not sure that he pulled his weight over the course of the weekend.

The army that I am currently getting painted is:

Mawcrusher
Megaboss

2 x Warchanters

Shaman

20 Ardboys

20 brutes

6 Goregruntas

I should get it back in a couple of weeks and will be keen to have some more games as I start to work towards taking Ironjawz to Cancon 2019, which has sold out at 200 players!

Excellent right up dude! I love the insight, and i feel for ya here....bc this is exactly what im seeing with the bloodtoof battalion. Its an all in caost/formation but doesn't really give you much for what your paying.

Now it does sound like you used a ****** ton of CP to do some massive multi-waaaghs, but at the end of the day is the extra CP and artifact really worth the 120? Now-a-days i tend to go bodies over formations, with the exception being my crutch of the ironfist...though even this is just providing an over-costed benefit that many armies get the equivalent of for free (sorry ill stop my grumblin). 

I think we work best as a haymaker counter punch, but the problem is 2 fold.... 1. people see it coming and 2. we are most effective massed up in a mob which limits our flexability.....  That is why the lists I am having the most success with are a combo of big tanky units of ardboyz and a couple gruntas for capping objectives and early harassment. Still doesnt have the answer for drop-cast lists or DoK with Canaries...

Please note things that I am discovering/thinking about have probably already been discussed at some point on the forum - Im sorry if I am repeating old knowledge, but the adventure of a new army is one of the highlights of gaming for me.

I have been doing more thinking about IJ lists.  I think in my mind we have a core of models that I want to use

• Mawcrusher - this is one that I am unsure of tbh.  He is a lot of points BUT he does output a huge amount of damage and is mobile.  Also the model is hawt.  Definantly keen to leave him in for now.
  • Warchanters - just based on my few games so far they seem near mandatory.  They make all of our other units better and for the price are a steal.  I cannot see me writing a list with less than 2 anytime soon.
  • Wierdnob Shaman - this one is touch and go for me. Foot seems like a trap and mystic shielf seems a bit meh.  Didnt seem to pull his weight in the games I have played - but - is going with no majic defence a smart move?  it seems to me that people that rely on magic have + lots to cast and can cast many spells so my 1 dispel probably isnt going to help anyway.  Also means I have no way to dispel endless spells which in my  games hasnt mattered but maybe in the future could?  Id love some feedback here
  • Megaboss on foot - Model is amazing, I think he seems good in a brute themed list as that reroll 1s combined with a warchanter make them super reliable.  Is also fairly choppy himself 
  • Ardboys - do what they say on the tin.  I see screening as their main role.  2 units seems to be the way to go.
  • Brutes - one of the main reasons to play the army really. units of 5 seem the best dmg output but i`m really keen to try a bigger unit out. 
  • Goregruntas - Not great but fairly fast and decent survivability.  Seem good for screening, clearing other peoples objective units and sitting on objectives.

So that leaves me with something like this:

LEADERS

Megaboss on Maw-Krusha (440)

Orruk Megaboss (140)

Orruk Warchanter (80)

Orruk Warchanter (80)

UNITS

10 x Orruk Ardboys (160)

10 x Orruk Ardboys (160)

10 x Orruk Brutes (360)

This is 1420 points.  If I throw in a couple of units of goregruntas for playing the objective game  It takes me up to 1700 points.

3 x Orruk Gore Gruntas (140)

Don`t get much in a list do you!?  And that`s before you even start thinking about battalions and command points and endless spells.  How do you guys do it?

11 hours ago, Kakwah said:

Please note things that I am discovering/thinking about have probably already been discussed at some point on the forum - Im sorry if I am repeating old knowledge, but the adventure of a new army is one of the highlights of gaming for me.

I have been doing more thinking about IJ lists.  I think in my mind we have a core of models that I want to use

• Mawcrusher - this is one that I am unsure of tbh.  He is a lot of points BUT he does output a huge amount of damage and is mobile.  Also the model is hawt.  Definantly keen to leave him in for now.
  • Warchanters - just based on my few games so far they seem near mandatory.  They make all of our other units better and for the price are a steal.  I cannot see me writing a list with less than 2 anytime soon.
  • Wierdnob Shaman - this one is touch and go for me. Foot seems like a trap and mystic shielf seems a bit meh.  Didnt seem to pull his weight in the games I have played - but - is going with no majic defence a smart move?  it seems to me that people that rely on magic have + lots to cast and can cast many spells so my 1 dispel probably isnt going to help anyway.  Also means I have no way to dispel endless spells which in my  games hasnt mattered but maybe in the future could?  Id love some feedback here
  • Megaboss on foot - Model is amazing, I think he seems good in a brute themed list as that reroll 1s combined with a warchanter make them super reliable.  Is also fairly choppy himself 
  • Ardboys - do what they say on the tin.  I see screening as their main role.  2 units seems to be the way to go.
  • Brutes - one of the main reasons to play the army really. units of 5 seem the best dmg output but i`m really keen to try a bigger unit out. 
  • Goregruntas - Not great but fairly fast and decent survivability.  Seem good for screening, clearing other peoples objective units and sitting on objectives.

So that leaves me with something like this:

LEADERS

Megaboss on Maw-Krusha (440)

Orruk Megaboss (140)

Orruk Warchanter (80)

Orruk Warchanter (80)

UNITS

10 x Orruk Ardboys (160)

10 x Orruk Ardboys (160)

10 x Orruk Brutes (360)

This is 1420 points.  If I throw in a couple of units of goregruntas for playing the objective game  It takes me up to 1700 points.

Don`t get much in a list do you!?  And that`s before you even start thinking about battalions and command points and endless spells.  How do you guys do it?

bump one of the  ardboy units to 30 mans and that should put you to 1990....buff the bajesus outta em and throw them forward!!

Ok so its been a couple of days since the game, haven't had a chance to sit down and compile some thoughts until now.

The game vs Nurgle he ran close to the following:

Glotkin

Bloab Rotspawned

Gutrot Spume

10 Blightkings

5 blightkings

5 blightkings

5 blightkings

20 marauders

I ran with:

MBoMK

Megaboss

2 x warchanter

10 brutes

5 brutes

5 brutes

2 x 10 ardboys

Ironfist

I was trying without a shaman who I did not feel carried his weight in my previous games and with more brutes this time.

We played total commitment.  My plan was to commit mostly down the left flank and then switch the mawcrusher if needed to clean up the right flank.

Game went pretty well, ended up picking up a small win by doing the screen combat thing a little better than my opponent.

Overall takeaways tho:

• I didn`t miss having a magic phase
  • I did like having the extra bodies.
  • I am not sure the Ironfist is worth 180 points

Re: the ironfist, its another whole unit of brutes and I have found the d6 move unreliable.  the lists I have been writing going im trying to drop wizard and ironfit and get that extra couple of units in.  I`ll keep you posted soon with some updates.

t

• 1 month later...

Ok so time for a big update!

My army has arrived!  As I said before I had Da Gronkz off getting commission painted by a studio in Adelaide (Solitaire Paintworks on facebook, highly recommended for anyone in Australia) but the exciting news is that they have arrived!

I am super happy with how they came out, and am loving the brightness of the MBoMK.  Now to start getting some games in on the run in to Cancon which is sold out at 220 players. Madness.

Next weekend I have a 1k per player doubles event which will be the debut  of the da gronkz, but super competitive just looking at running a mixed sort of list something like this:

Allegiance: Ironjawz - Mortal Realm: Aqshy
LEADERS
Orruk Megaboss (140) - General - Command Trait : Ironclad  - Artefact :  Thermalrider Cloak 
Orruk Warchanter (80)
UNITS
10 x Orruk Ardboys (160)
10 x Orruk Ardboys (160)
5 x Orruk Brutes (180)

I`d love more brutes but with the way the points go its hard to get a 2nd unit in and not be like 60 points under cap.  Any suggestions?

Sorry for the inactivity but its hard to update when nothing is happening, but now I have da boyz i`ll be reporting back on all my games and list thoughts on the way into Cancon.  Waagghh!

Screenshot_20181108-193444_WhatsApp.jpg.4b036884989d964dba3e1b5711fc5c36.jpg

20181113_115954.jpg

Screenshot_20181108-191337_WhatsApp.jpg

Screenshot_20181108-193539_WhatsApp.jpg

Screenshot_20181108-193508_WhatsApp.jpg

00000PORTRAIT_00000_BURST20181114113841300.jpg

Cheers mate. Yeah I love the colours on the mawcrusher.  Super happy with how it turned out.

I normally get the vast majority of my games at tourneys so it seems normal for me to jump right in. 

In other news I have settled on a list for the doubles event. Going with:

Allegiance: Ironjawz - Mortal Realm: Aqshy
LEADERS
Orruk Megaboss (140)
- General
- Command Trait : Ironclad
- Artefact : Thermalrider Cloak
Orruk Warchanter (80)
Orruk Warchanter (80)
UNITS
10 x Orruk Brutes (360)
5 x Orruk Brutes (180)
TOTAL: 980/2000

@Kakwah One thing which came up a while ago in a game played on the twitch stream is that Squigs are 60 points. They make a fantastic list filler at both 5 models with 2 wounds each providing us with a cheap objective/screen/drop denial unit.

In your 1k list for example, you could swap the 5 Brutes for another 3 GG's and take the squigs with your spare 60. 

Using Warscroll builder

Allegiance: Ironjawz
Mortal Realm: Aqshy

Leaders
Orruk Megaboss (140)
- General
- Trait: Ironclad 
- Artefact: Thermalrider Cloak 
Orruk Warchanter (80)
Orruk Warchanter (80)

Battleline
10 x Orruk Brutes (360)