Let's Chat: Stormsire's Cursebreakers

UnderworldsOnly

10 hours ago, Tutenkharnage said:

I hear you on wanting to avoid the staples. I’ve taken some of those same cards out of my decks for the same reasons, all in the name of finding better substitutes. 

Regarding Countercharge and Ready to the Fight, my initial thought was “Why wouldn’t I just charge next turn?” Upon reflection, however, I can see the value in getting a free Move action instead: you can then use an Attack action against the target on your next activation, and in he following activation, you can still take another Charge action or another Attack action if you failed to take the target out of action. This probably makes it a better card for three- and four-model warbands than for Reavers, but I can see the attraction for Reavers, too. 

Edit: As an added bonus, it will sometimes help get around an opponent’s Quick Thinker. Definitely worth experimenting with!

Cheers!

Out of activation movement for a band that can be action heavy is ace. I got the idea from several local steelheart decks and claim the city's stoffer running heroic stride and seeing how mobile he could be. Plus in a 3 round set, i only need to pull it off once to make opponents wary of charging.

2 hours ago, Skyeline said:

Running a deck that makes both of them better is completely reasonable. The cards you mentioned are all something I run in my current iteration of the Cursebreakers (except I run shadeglass darts instead) and I'd consider it to be a deck that can utilize both Ammis and Averon as needed (even Rastus can be made into a serious threat if I'm going up against a warband where I really want cleave). 

Buffing Averon typically just means making him into a 3-hex Fulmination threat that your opponent will have a hard time dealing with if you position yourself carefully. To that end, Tempest's Might is the one "must have" upgrade for Averon to make those Fulminations truly lethal. After that though, boosting Averon typically seems to be done just through buffing his dice and his survivability. Coincidentally, the cards that do this also work on anyone else in the team! 

Some examples of boosting Averon's Fulmination that work with everyone else on the team: Awakened Weapon, Fueled by Fury, Potion of Rage, Determined Effort, etc. 

And some examples of boosting Averon's survivability that also work with everyone else on the team: Great Fortitude, Deathly Fortitude, Healing Potion, Vital Surge, Tethered Spirit, etc. 

Just make sure you don't bank too hard on the "perfect combo" of gear upgrades as you play. Over the course of 6 recent games I only managed to get the Lightning Whip / Darts combo up 2 times. Even in one of those games it didn't do anything useful for me as Averon ended up taking priority to shoot everything down since he was sitting pretty with a 3 damage fulmination. This isn't even taking into consideration the dream combo of having hurricane step up at the same time, particularly if I didn't already blow the Deathly Fortitude on someone else to push them back into "safer" health!

I've had it pointed out to me that awakened weapon specifically states attack dice, not magic dice. Im not sure that it does work with fulmination.

However, gloryseeker should be mandatory in any deck looking to to buff averon or ammis.

• Replies 210
  • Created
  • Last Reply
15 minutes ago, riddlesworth said:

I've had it pointed out to me that awakened weapon specifically states attack dice, not magic dice. Im not sure that it does work with fulmination.

I think you're in the right on this one. Looking at the rules specified in Nightvault I see:

"Roll a number of attack dice equal to the Attack action's Dice characteristic (or magic dice if the Attack action is a spell) and count[...]" 

I had previously interpreted that since spells listed on a fighter card are considered to be Attack actions and ergo the dice counted as attack dice. It appears however that isn't the case. I may end up rethinking my inclusion of Helpful whispers!

2 hours ago, riddlesworth said:

Out of activation movement for a band that can be action heavy is ace. I got the idea from several local steelheart decks and claim the city's stoffer running heroic stride and seeing how mobile he could be. Plus in a 3 round set, i only need to pull it off once to make opponents wary of charging.

However, gloryseeker should be mandatory in any deck looking to to buff averon or ammis.

I also think you’re right on this one, its a shame.

1 hour ago, Skyeline said:

I think you're in the right on this one. Looking at the rules specified in Nightvault I see:

"Roll a number of attack dice equal to the Attack action's Dice characteristic (or magic dice if the Attack action is a spell) and count[...]" 

I had previously interpreted that since spells listed on a fighter card are considered to be Attack actions and ergo the dice counted as attack dice. It appears however that isn't the case. I may end up rethinking my inclusion of Helpful whispers!

I dont see how Helpful whispers would assist you in this situation either. Theres no supports on the magic dice!

Depending on deck construction and your balance you would probably be better served adding an additonal utility or offensive upgrade. It defintely adds some interesting choices to the deck now, and its pointless to retain it for Amnis / Rastus with their fairly reliable inbuilt passive.

5 minutes ago, Desidus said:

I dont see how Helpful whispers would assist you in this situation either. Theres no supports on the magic dice!

Depending on deck construction and your balance you would probably be better served adding an additonal utility or offensive upgrade. It defintely adds some interesting choices to the deck now, and its pointless to retain it for Amnis / Rastus with their fairly reliable inbuilt passive.

Ahhhh I meant Awakened Weapon. Damn it. Brain is operating at 50% speed today. Helpful whispers is definitely not in the deck currently. ?

So I took my deck to an event over the weekend (20 Players, 3 rounds). 

Out of the 8 games I played, I discarded both Objective and Gambit hands Straight off 7 times. Despite this, I walked away with Third overall, and Most Glory overall at the event.

Opponents as such:

Round 1: Magores 2-0: I lost board placement both games and proceeded to make him play length and come at me piecemeal. Harness the Storm and Magical Supremacy in both games allowed me to get some early upgrades to snowball the game in my favour.

Round 2: Chosen Axes 2-1: I won the board placement in all three games, as such my opponent had 3 objectives in his deployment in each game. The first game I played rather defensively and got punished for it mid to late game and went down. In the Second game, I successfully casted Abasoths Withering on Fujl-Grimnir, into a Great concussion (Pushing Tefk and Maegrim into base with Fujl) Cry of thunder into Shardgale, To drop 2 wounds off Maegrim and Tefk, and then Had Averon cast Fulmination on Maegrim and Fujl (With Ready for Action - Sudden Growth) to push me ahead in the second activation - Objective wise this scored me,  Crushing Blow, Masterstroke, Harness the Storm, Magical Supremacy, Victory after Victory and Combination Strike all in the one phase, putting me up by a sizeable 9 Glory in the first round of activation. That was all she wrote for that game. I scored the remainder of my cards with ease whilst removing the last two dwarves without any major effort. The Third game was much closer, with the Dwarves getting an early lead, before Rastus sniped Fjul with a well timed Shadeglass axe / Lightning whip combination to save Averon from almost certain death.

Round 3: Steelhearts: Crushed my opponent in the first game 16-3, with Rastus and his cleave doing some solid early work to ensure the victory. Game 2 my opponent came back to win 16-15 (Purely because of Denial, This was my mistake, I didnt see it in his deck in the first game, and assumed he didn't have it - This mistake ended up costing me first place). In the third game, Severin successfully made Soul Trap and Tethered spirit saves, as well as a Rebound. This combined with Amnis missing on 2 other attack actions prevented me from scoring Precise use of Force and Measured strike, and thereby allowed Severin to punch through all 3 of my Stormcast to win the game with Annihilation and Denial. The third game was super frustrating to play, as all the rolls went my opponents way and if he failed a single one of them (Soul Trap, Tethered Spirit, Rebound) The game would have been mine.

In reflection, Abasoths Withering is a fantastic Card and for me at least, is a near must include.

On 10/22/2018 at 7:49 AM, Desidus said:

So I took my deck to an event over the weekend (20 Players, 3 rounds). 

Out of the 8 games I played, I discarded both Objective and Gambit hands Straight off 7 times. Despite this, I walked away with Third overall, and Most Glory overall at the event.

Opponents as such:

Round 1: Magores 2-0: I lost board placement both games and proceeded to make him play length and come at me piecemeal. Harness the Storm and Magical Supremacy in both games allowed me to get some early upgrades to snowball the game in my favour.

Round 2: Chosen Axes 2-1: I won the board placement in all three games, as such my opponent had 3 objectives in his deployment in each game. The first game I played rather defensively and got punished for it mid to late game and went down. In the Second game, I successfully casted Abasoths Withering on Fujl-Grimnir, into a Great concussion (Pushing Tefk and Maegrim into base with Fujl) Cry of thunder into Shardgale, To drop 2 wounds off Maegrim and Tefk, and then Had Averon cast Fulmination on Maegrim and Fujl (With Ready for Action - Sudden Growth) to push me ahead in the second activation - Objective wise this scored me,  Crushing Blow, Masterstroke, Harness the Storm, Magical Supremacy, Victory after Victory and Combination Strike all in the one phase, putting me up by a sizeable 9 Glory in the first round of activation. That was all she wrote for that game. I scored the remainder of my cards with ease whilst removing the last two dwarves without any major effort. The Third game was much closer, with the Dwarves getting an early lead, before Rastus sniped Fjul with a well timed Shadeglass axe / Lightning whip combination to save Averon from almost certain death.

Round 3: Steelhearts: Crushed my opponent in the first game 16-3, with Rastus and his cleave doing some solid early work to ensure the victory. Game 2 my opponent came back to win 16-15 (Purely because of Denial, This was my mistake, I didnt see it in his deck in the first game, and assumed he didn't have it - This mistake ended up costing me first place). In the third game, Severin successfully made Soul Trap and Tethered spirit saves, as well as a Rebound. This combined with Amnis missing on 2 other attack actions prevented me from scoring Precise use of Force and Measured strike, and thereby allowed Severin to punch through all 3 of my Stormcast to win the game with Annihilation and Denial. The third game was super frustrating to play, as all the rolls went my opponents way and if he failed a single one of them (Soul Trap, Tethered Spirit, Rebound) The game would have been mine.

In reflection, Abasoths Withering is a fantastic Card and for me at least, is a near must include.

Possible to post the deck ? 

great concussion into cry of thunder is lolworthy! had been toying with dropping alone in the darkness and great concussion to fit fun stuff in. centre of attention achieves the same goal too. very nice.

How did you find lightning whip? given its inability to score precise use of force as the final kill shot i've been iffy on it. I am a huge fan of gloryseeker on Averon though. having said that, cry of thunder, chain lightning, withering all mean you you can knock people down to 3 wounds pretty easily

Chosen Axes game sounded like a godhand but the minute you said you were defensive against them in the first game i knew how the result would be. The benefit of Cursebreakers, I think, is much like Farstriders - the ability to play either defensive or aggro with the same deck so you know you can go aggro against the defensive warbands and sit back against the magores of this world.

I have a tournament this weekend and I would like to know what every one think about my deck! :)

https://www.underworldsdb.com/shared.php?deck=0,N4,N6,234,244,252,257,272,L24,N319,N340,N371,N373,N23,N24,384,424,N504,420,435,N473,N543,N548,N12,N471,N442,329,347,356,348,N14,343,N400,N405,330,411,N527

My goal is to do big dmg with power cards (Cry of thunder, rend the earth, shardgale)

I've put 3 upgrades and 1 ploy to make my spell auto-cast or really easy to cast. With the right combination even Ammis and Rastus can auto-cast them.

This is one of the combo I would really like to play :

1. have one of my model with eye of the storm and tome of incantations (or any cards that gives an innate lightning and the ability to change one dice to a lightning too)

2. charge in base contact with the most enemy model possible (great concussion and center of attention help for that).

3. play Damning Pack in the power step

4. cast Rend the Earth for an automatic 2 dmg on everyone around you! :D

This combo works well at range too with cry of thunder! and if you throw in shardgale you can decimate lower hp warbands or really hurts the other one!

The rest of my deck is there to improve the tankyness of my warband (preferably Stormsire or Ammis)

For the objectives, I've taken a lot of easy ones to do. Do you have some suggestions on other objectives I could take? Also I'm asking myself if Annihilation could be a good choice in my deck? I habitually don't like end game objectives, but with all the dmg I'm hoping to do against multiple models, I'm thinking that annihilation could be possible! what do you guys think? 

The only thing I'm not too sure is do I drop My turn and Ready for Action to improve the chance of drawing my combo cards. (I think the answer is yes but I really like the option these cards give!) So what do you think? Is there a card I've forgotten that could help my combo or really improve the defense of my crew? Also, am I putting myself at a big disadvantage with 24 cards in my power deck instead of 20?

thank you all for your time and advice! :) 

I would cut Chosen Champion for something like Superior Tactician - you need a third phase glory push to help deal with crazy swings from objective decks. Chosen Champion won't reliably be scored on turn 1, and if you ever lose a fighter with equipment it puts you really far behind on scoring that one.

I'm also personally not a fan of Defensive Strike since it only works against aggro decks. I would swap it for something like Precise Use of Force, since it can be used in both matchups. 

I would cut Vampiric Weapon because I think you have enough healing with Healing Potion, 3 wound upgrades, and Vital Surge, not to mention Soultrap and Tethered Spirit... Gloryseeker is a great card in Cursebreakers since it pushes Ammis to 4 damage, and Stormsires spell attack to 3 damage which can easily be followed up by various 1 damage ploys/spells to kill most fighters in the game.

I don't think My Turn offers much to this deck since you lean so heavily on spells and not attacks - I would swap it for Abasoth's Withering. It's an easy spell with long range to help your guys Inspire and score all sorts of early game objectives, and giving an enemy -1 wound is very good. 

On a different topic, does Massive Assault count damage done through gambit spells? I assume it would, and it seems to be an easy card to slot in for this warband.

7 hours ago, riddlesworth said:

great concussion into cry of thunder is lolworthy! had been toying with dropping alone in the darkness and great concussion to fit fun stuff in. centre of attention achieves the same goal too. very nice.

How did you find lightning whip? given its inability to score precise use of force as the final kill shot i've been iffy on it. I am a huge fan of gloryseeker on Averon though. having said that, cry of thunder, chain lightning, withering all mean you you can knock people down to 3 wounds pretty easily

Chosen Axes game sounded like a godhand but the minute you said you were defensive against them in the first game i knew how the result would be. The benefit of Cursebreakers, I think, is much like Farstriders - the ability to play either defensive or aggro with the same deck so you know you can go aggro against the defensive warbands and sit back against the magores of this world.

Centre of Attention is such a useful card. That Great Concussion only worked because he had Fjul parked next to blocked hexes , so I didn't mind ;)

Lightning whip is honestly hands down fantastic, Not having a restriction to range means you can drop it on in conjunction with Shardglass Axe, or Dark Darts for some Range 3 damage. I've haven't played around with Glory seeker a great deal. 

Too be honest, I've actually retired this deck, as for my regular gaming group it's just not fun to play against as by and large, it does what it is designed to do really well. The fact that I had such bad draws consistently and I still managed to place 3rd overall only speaks of its ability.

Too be frank, I haven't really played any games against Chosen axes so I didn't really have any idea what I was walking into. So that first game was definitely misplayed by myself, once I knew what was in his deck I and how he typically played I adjusted my tactics accordingly to combat that.

That's definitely an advantage to Cursebreakers, being able to choose when to be aggro and when to be defensive is key to their success.

After thinking about it, I agree. I think lightning whip gives some nice flexibility compared to great strength. Combined with the damage we can get out of our spells, its just straight up better, and combined with a ranged weapon upgrade, it's tops.

I'm going into a tournament this weekend with no push cards in my deck because I wanted to push the spell envelope, will report back when its done, but the value of centre of attention and cry of thunder is bang on.. I'm keen to see whether the next releases give us more viable spells, a way to generate focus, or ploys for extra spell dice. While Arcane Shield and Sorcerous Insight are amazing, a 1 in 4 chance to cast at base, with a re-roll from potion of clarity doesn't fill me with hope, and I'd actually love to run a magic dominant deck.

Try gloryseeker, honestly. When I've got things rolling, Glory seeker and Tempest's Might on Stormsire, Lightning Whip and Shadeglass darts on Ammis is terrifying for my opponents. There's enough passive objectives to get the glory going for killing and 3 or 4 damage from 3 hexes away is just brutal.

@Desidus - rather than retire the deck, have you tried restricting yourself to Nightvault only? From a ploy and upgrade perspective, you can make a decent power deck, but there aren't the score immediately or easy passives to push you over the top. It feels nicer for your opponent.

This is my deck for my tournament this weekend with some modifications done with good advices from PJetski, what do you think? :)

https://www.underworldsdb.com/shared.php?deck=0,N4,N6,234,257,L24,N319,N340,N371,N373,N23,N24,384,424,N504,420,435,N473,N548,N12,N471,N442,329,347,356,N14,N400,330,411,291,N389,N503,271,368,250

I've removed Damnation Pack because, with all my testing, it was pretty often a dead draw! :( so no 2dmg cry of thunder/rend the earth! I'll maybe put it back in the deck if we get more reliable damaging spells in the future. But for now, I think I will be fine!

Also, I like vampiric weapon in this deck because of the ability to kill multiple models with a good shardgale/cry of thunder/rend the earth combo! I was toying between it and Sudden growth. I like the +2 wounds, but the -2 move could impair a little too much my mobility! :/ 

I don’t think Shardgale counts as a kill for your model, per the FAQ today. As such, vampiric weapon wouldn’t trigger. (How would you justify accrediting the kill to a specific model, anyhow?)  edit: misread your post a bit in that I realize now you weren’t necessarily implying you would finish models off with Shardgale but I think it’s still semi relevant

10 minutes ago, wdanjou said:

I don’t think Shardgale counts as a kill for your model, per the FAQ today. As such, vampiric weapon wouldn’t trigger. (How would you justify accrediting the kill to a specific model, anyhow?)  edit: misread your post a bit in that I realize now you weren’t necessarily implying you would finish models off with Shardgale but I think it’s still semi relevant

shardgale is to soften them up! ;) the kills come from my model casting cry of thunder or rend the earth. 

14 hours ago, riddlesworth said:

After thinking about it, I agree. I think lightning whip gives some nice flexibility compared to great strength. Combined with the damage we can get out of our spells, its just straight up better, and combined with a ranged weapon upgrade, it's tops.

I'm going into a tournament this weekend with no push cards in my deck because I wanted to push the spell envelope, will report back when its done, but the value of centre of attention and cry of thunder is bang on.. I'm keen to see whether the next releases give us more viable spells, a way to generate focus, or ploys for extra spell dice. While Arcane Shield and Sorcerous Insight are amazing, a 1 in 4 chance to cast at base, with a re-roll from potion of clarity doesn't fill me with hope, and I'd actually love to run a magic dominant deck.

Try gloryseeker, honestly. When I've got things rolling, Glory seeker and Tempest's Might on Stormsire, Lightning Whip and Shadeglass darts on Ammis is terrifying for my opponents. There's enough passive objectives to get the glory going for killing and 3 or 4 damage from 3 hexes away is just brutal.

@Desidus - rather than retire the deck, have you tried restricting yourself to Nightvault only? From a ploy and upgrade perspective, you can make a decent power deck, but there aren't the score immediately or easy passives to push you over the top. It feels nicer for your opponent.

I'll be messing about with them still, but probably only for tournament play. I'm fiddling around with a Eyes of the nine deck at the moment that I'm trying to get the right amount of balance with Vortemis and K'charik. It's proving to challenging and fun to get right.

I agree with you on Arcane shield and sorcerous insight. I hate the low cast chance so haven't been taking them at all. Playing around with the Tzeentch deck has open up some ridiculous magic options for them (Wracking Change is so bogus).

I will definitely be fiddling around with Gloryseeker in future decks.

@riddlesworth I would, however the inner competitive version of me would hate the fact that it's not well optimized. Haha.

So, 3 round tournament today. Overall, fairly happy with deck performance, not many bubble cards but my dice and positioning let me down in a couple of occasions which really cost me.

Deck: https://www.underworldsdb.com/shared.php?deck=0,N6,N7,N4,243,257,284,291,L24,N319,N371,N340,N11,N12,N14,N15,347,348,N389,N436,N456,N23,N27,N486,N499,N503,N529,368,N25,420,424,411,272

Game 1 vs farstriders

Round 1 lost 16-2

Round 2 won 10-8

Round 3 lost 10-6

I hadnt played farstriders for a while and it showed. Positioned poorly on opening hexes, drew superior tactician in the openibg hand 3 times, couldnt roll focus to save my life. Just ugh.

However in round 2, when i got rolling, and played aggressive, it all went swimmingly. Round 3 was an uphill battle after picking the wrong board that let him put too much distance between us but also, not ditching my starting hand of superior tactician, escalation and keep them guessing. The distance between us meant i couldnt get enough actions in so i scored no glory in turn 1 and was playing catch up.

Game 2 vs orks

Round 1 - win 17-6
Round 2 - loss 11-5
Round 3 - win 17-5

Orks into any hybrid deck isnt pretty. Sat back, scored some glory, got upgraded. Bopped him. The loss in round two was purely down to dice. He rolled 3 crit defences in a row on 1 dice, and i couldnt roll more than 1 success in attack. When my dice went to averages, round 3 restored parity.

Game 3 vs Briar Queen

Round 1 - win 16-10
Round 2 - loss 19-17
Round 3 - loss 16-14

This one got interesting. So, as you can see, I scored a lot of glory. So did my opponent. Without great concussion, disrupting his scoring was HARD and while i was consistently scoring 5-6 glory in turn 1 through score immediates and easy 1 scores, watching my opponent pull supremacy, only way out and tac supremacy in a single round was soul crushing. Disrupting his scoring for just 1 turn in each game would have made my life a lot easier. Afraid great concussion has to go back in. 

This one actually came down to a charge in the final round of the ginal game. I forgot quick thinkef was in my hand and lost averon to the charge which put me in a hole i couldnt get out of.

So, lessons learned for the day:

- concentrate!

- great concussion is just that good. Cant deny it.

- averon is actually quite hard to inspire without gambit spells especially if you have a run of bad dice luck.

- conversly, every gambit spell you include in your deck is introducing more rng. Without upgrades, spells can be heartbreaking, so you have to plan for it.

- packing more dice for averon in ploy, spell or upgrade form is essential...

- i need to learn which board i play into which matchup - whats best for aggro, whats best for defensive etc.

- cry of thunder, chain lighting, abasoths withering are all good substitutes for trap & twist the knife for getting sweet sweet one shots. Bonus is they help with objectives and inspiring.

Deck changes moving forward:

- keep them guessing out (scored it once. Too inflexible). Alone in the darkness in.

- pit trap out, great concussion in

- cards i want to make room for: corposant staff (because range 4, hidden paths/spectral wibgs because  defensive decks, arcane familiar, sudden growth, haymaker, infinite riches (for potion of rage)

1 hour ago, riddlesworth said:

So, 3 round tournament today. Overall, fairly happy with deck performance, not many bubble cards but my dice and positioning let me down in a couple of occasions which really cost me.

Deck: https://www.underworldsdb.com/shared.php?deck=0,N6,N7,N4,243,257,284,291,L24,N319,N371,N340,N11,N12,N14,N15,347,348,N389,N436,N456,N23,N27,N486,N499,N503,N529,368,N25,420,424,411,272

Game 1 vs farstriders

Round 1 lost 16-2

Round 2 won 10-8

Round 3 lost 10-6

I hadnt played farstriders for a while and it showed. Positioned poorly on opening hexes, drew superior tactician in the openibg hand 3 times, couldnt roll focus to save my life. Just ugh.

However in round 2, when i got rolling, and played aggressive, it all went swimmingly. Round 3 was an uphill battle after picking the wrong board that let him put too much distance between us but also, not ditching my starting hand of superior tactician, escalation and keep them guessing. The distance between us meant i couldnt get enough actions in so i scored no glory in turn 1 and was playing catch up.

Game 2 vs orks

Round 1 - win 17-6
Round 2 - loss 11-5
Round 3 - win 17-5

Orks into any hybrid deck isnt pretty. Sat back, scored some glory, got upgraded. Bopped him. The loss in round two was purely down to dice. He rolled 3 crit defences in a row on 1 dice, and i couldnt roll more than 1 success in attack. When my dice went to averages, round 3 restored parity.

Game 3 vs Briar Queen

Round 1 - win 16-10
Round 2 - loss 19-17
Round 3 - loss 16-14

This one got interesting. So, as you can see, I scored a lot of glory. So did my opponent. Without great concussion, disrupting his scoring was HARD and while i was consistently scoring 5-6 glory in turn 1 through score immediates and easy 1 scores, watching my opponent pull supremacy, only way out and tac supremacy in a single round was soul crushing. Disrupting his scoring for just 1 turn in each game would have made my life a lot easier. Afraid great concussion has to go back in. 

This one actually came down to a charge in the final round of the ginal game. I forgot quick thinkef was in my hand and lost averon to the charge which put me in a hole i couldnt get out of.

So, lessons learned for the day:

- concentrate!

- great concussion is just that good. Cant deny it.

- averon is actually quite hard to inspire without gambit spells especially if you have a run of bad dice luck.

- conversly, every gambit spell you include in your deck is introducing more rng. Without upgrades, spells can be heartbreaking, so you have to plan for it.

- packing more dice for averon in ploy, spell or upgrade form is essential...

- i need to learn which board i play into which matchup - whats best for aggro, whats best for defensive etc.

- cry of thunder, chain lighting, abasoths withering are all good substitutes for trap & twist the knife for getting sweet sweet one shots. Bonus is they help with objectives and inspiring.

Deck changes moving forward:

- keep them guessing out (scored it once. Too inflexible). Alone in the darkness in.

- pit trap out, great concussion in

- cards i want to make room for: corposant staff (because range 4, hidden paths/spectral wibgs because  defensive decks, arcane familiar, sudden growth, haymaker, infinite riches (for potion of rage)

Sounds like you had fun regardless!

As an aside, Potion of Rage is amazing, I'm not sold on Coposant staff at all, but I could fiddle around with testing it some more.

Sudden growth is solid. Haymaker is an interesting choice, could be worthwhile testing thats for sure.

Potion of rage is awesome. The only reason I'm looking at corposant staff is those defensive bands that dance just out of range (see farstriders). It does take an action though which hurts. I spent far too many activations on failed empower rolls.

I'm considering sudden growth very strongly, just have to find something to cut

I would kill for an upgrade that gave +1 spell dice, spell reroll (outside of potion of clarity), innate focus or change a dice to a focus though. That would make things just that much smoother on the RNG front.

So I have 3 league games upcoming in prep for my next run at the glass. So the objective and ploy deck got tweaked as I said. I didn't get a lot of use out of faneway crystal (even though I recognise how good it could be). And while tethered spirit and soul trap kept me in the game in my 3rd round, there's a lot of RNG with the spells already so I've taken them out in favour of speed upgrades and great fortitude. I don't want to push to sudden growth/deathly fortitude yet because I like mobility. This might change. The fact that my objective and ploy deck work is a good sign for me, it's just tweaking the upgrades now and seeing what new cards come out.

https://www.underworldsdb.com/shared.php?deck=0,N6,N7,N4,243,257,284,291,L24,N319,N371,N11,N12,N14,N15,347,348,N389,N456,N23,N27,N486,N503,N529,368,N25,272,235,329,N504,N505,N548,402

14 hours ago, riddlesworth said:

I would kill for an upgrade that gave +1 spell dice, spell reroll (outside of potion of clarity), innate focus or change a dice to a focus though. That would make things just that much smoother on the RNG front.

So I have 3 league games upcoming in prep for my next run at the glass. So the objective and ploy deck got tweaked as I said. I didn't get a lot of use out of faneway crystal (even though I recognise how good it could be). And while tethered spirit and soul trap kept me in the game in my 3rd round, there's a lot of RNG with the spells already so I've taken them out in favour of speed upgrades and great fortitude. I don't want to push to sudden growth/deathly fortitude yet because I like mobility. This might change. The fact that my objective and ploy deck work is a good sign for me, it's just tweaking the upgrades now and seeing what new cards come out.

https://www.underworldsdb.com/shared.php?deck=0,N6,N7,N4,243,257,284,291,L24,N319,N371,N11,N12,N14,N15,347,348,N389,N456,N23,N27,N486,N503,N529,368,N25,272,235,329,N504,N505,N548,402

I think you have a really solid core, I don't like sphere of hyish or chain lightning, I think you could find better options for these two. 

Regarding wasting activations on empower, I only push for empower if I have harness the storm or magical supremacy, or I'm playing against an aggro deck and they make me go first. Other than that, I never touch it in the later rounds. 

55 minutes ago, Red Drake said:

These two are the best you get for what you don’t already have in your deck

A74A8799-54AE-486D-B9AC-A6821F36CAAF.png

73053065-5C1D-4F78-B319-9C9194CF7569.png

Power surge gives him nothing but the guarantee to take one damage to push the spell through. It's not like Wracking change where it directly doubles the damage it causes. 

I only see a place for power surge in Tzeentch decks 

5 hours ago, Desidus said:

I think you have a really solid core, I don't like sphere of hyish or chain lightning, I think you could find better options for these two. 

Regarding wasting activations on empower, I only push for empower if I have harness the storm or magical supremacy, or I'm playing against an aggro deck and they make me go first. Other than that, I never touch it in the later rounds. 

Power surge gives him nothing but the guarantee to take one damage to push the spell through. It's not like Wracking change where it directly doubles the damage it causes. 

I only see a place for power surge in Tzeentch decks 

A two symbol spell rolling only 1 crit and no other success will succeed by playing this. 

Admittedly it’s a very low margin, and I probably wouldn’t include it in that deck, but I was being thourough in suggesting cards he could use for more reliable casting

Archived