Picking an army helpppp

Crofty28

My first thought was Legions of Nagash as there is a ton of lore in the books about the various goings on with death but I think they might be one of the more popular armies. If Death is your thing you could give Flesh-Eater Courts a look, to my knowledge there isn't a whole lot of lore on them  but what is in the battletome is pretty interesting with their whole delusions thing. They also have the option of running a horde or elite list but their battletome is one of the first and they aren't that amazing on the board, fun and interesting but imo.
If Chaos is more your style you could give Skaven a look. Again lore wise there isn't a heck of a lot of it (yet) but they do pop into the novels fairly frequently. Only Clan Pestilens and Skryre have had any support (with Pestilens being the only one of the clans to get a battletome so far and both getting things in the Generals Handbook) and the model range is a mix of newer and old to ancient models but they are imo one of the most unique races.  Pestilens is more of a horde army whereas Skryre is atm an elite shooty army (unless you go the skryre acolyte route, but unless you want to spend a ridiculous amount of money on ancient metal minis or do some conversions I wouldn't recommend it) with a bunch of war machines and the awesome Stormfiends. Not sure how popular they are but they are very cool and there's bound to be support (and new models hopefully) at some point in the future. (possibly next year if the rumours are to be believed)

For Destruction there's not a lot, lore wise it hasn't really been explored and currently only the Ironjawz, Bonesplitters and Beastclaw Raiders have had any support. That said like the Skaven there's bound to be support for them sooner or later, with Moonclan Grots looking to be the most likely to get a big release and lore dump.

The problem is that most of the factions with lore are the popular ones from my knowledge, your best bet is not to worry too much about who's playing what or how good they are and just choose whatever faction you think looks cool as can be and could be fun. Whatever they are they're bound to get an update or support eventually. That said if your dead set on playing a "viable" army with lore anything with a recent battletome is what you want, might be a good idea to check out your local store or gaming groups to see what others are playing and to choose from whatevers not being played. I'd check out the various faction forums on here too.

It is really hard to find armies that no one plays since there is a limited number of models in existence. I used to chase it a lot when I was younger, then as editions changed or I moved the armies everyone else played changed and I ended up with "popular armies" more then once. It is truly impossible to be a special unique snowflake purely through faction choice.

The best way to have something unique in this hobby is to paint it and/or convert it. I have seen Space Marine armies that were incredibly memorable because the owner put in the time and heart to make it his. 

Echoing those above. Read some lore and look at some models. Find what looks cool and stick with it!

On 9/30/2018 at 11:59 PM, Crofty28 said:

Hi everyone

I'm looking to collect an army for age of sigmar anything which isn't order with a lot of fluff possibly a horde army but not played by alot of people any suggestions and are they viable 

Skaven,

there is no question,

Skaven are the best.

their fluff is really interesting and playing them you will notice how many possibilities you got building your great hording list.

wanna run over your foe with numbers, no problem, there is a reason we have clanrats plague monks, giant and many more units to our arsenal.

are you more of a guy who loves to play with elite units, 

than stormfiends, Sotrmvermin (for some unknown reasons)Ratogres, etc. Will be your thing.

if your more of a fluff player, than mixing all those great units, will let your army look fantastically amazing.

believe me, we all know that skaven are better than posterthings, Yes-yes

join me-me, slay-kill all things, 

take-steal city burrows, for Skreech.

Posterthings, greenthings, bigthings, Aelvethings, manthings, chaosthings, and deadthings, shall all suffer-Die,

Yes-yes

On 9/30/2018 at 5:59 PM, Crofty28 said:

Hi everyone

I'm looking to collect an army for age of sigmar anything which isn't order with a lot of fluff possibly a horde army but not played by alot of people any suggestions and are they viable 

I'm a little late to his party, but have you seen HeyWoah's choosing an army video for new players? It provides a good summary of each faction, their retaliative difficulty and competitiveness. It's worth a watch if you haven't seen it. 

Good luck with the new army! 

Archived