Umbral Spellportal + Balewind Vortex

gabbi

Question

Umbral Spellportal, Arcane Passage: 
If a Wizard successfully casts a spell while they are within 1" of an Umbral Spellportal model, the range and visibility of the spell can be measured from the other Umbral Spellportal model from this endless spell.

Balewind Vortex, Arcane Invigoration:
A Wizard on a Balewind Vortex can attempt to cast an additional spell in each of their hero phases (including the turn in which the Summon Balewind Vortex spell was cast), and you can add 6" to the range of any spells that the Wizard casts.

Maybe this has been already asked, but I have found nothing with the search function.
If a Wizard on a Balewind Vortex and within 1" of an Umbral Spellportal casts a spell, the range of the spell is still measured from the other Spellportal and +6 range?
Reading the rules RAW, it seems so to me, but AoS rules can be quite far away from RAW...

6 answers to this question

1 hour ago, gabbi said:

Maybe this has been already asked, but I have found nothing with the search function.
If a Wizard on a Balewind Vortex and within 1" of an Umbral Spellportal casts a spell, the range of the spell is still measured from the other Spellportal and +6 range?
Reading the rules RAW, it seems so to me, but AoS rules can be quite far away from RAW...

I don't see why not. I think the limiting factor is actually being within 1" of the Spellportal while riding on top of that Vortex. I believe the BV is about 5 inches tall and the US is about 3 inches tall. So a wizard standing on top of a BV isn't going to be able cast through an US sitting on the ground; the US would need to be sitting on top of a raised terrain feature. But if you can make the placement work out so your wizard is within 1", then I think casting through the portal with +6" range is RAW and no problem.

9 minutes ago, Domowoj said:

I don't see why not. I think the limiting factor is actually being within 1" of the Spellportal while riding on top of that Vortex. I believe the BV is about 5 inches tall and the US is about 3 inches tall. So a wizard standing on top of a BV isn't going to be able cast through an US sitting on the ground; the US would need to be sitting on top of a raised terrain feature. But if you can make the placement work out so your wizard is within 1", then I think casting through the portal with +6" range is RAW and no problem.

With the new version of the balewind's warscroll, the caster and the balewind are one model using the caster's warscroll. So I presume that means that's not a problem either. 

As long as the Balewind Vortex remains on the battlefield, the caster and the Balewind Vortex are treated as being a single model from the caster’s army that uses the caster’s warscroll as well as the endless spells rules. It is treated as an enemy model by the opposing player’s army. A Wizard on a Balewind Vortex cannot move.

2 hours ago, Domowoj said:

I see, because the 6" vertical is just for coherency, right?

3 minutes ago, gabbi said:

I see, because the 6" vertical is just for coherency, right?

Ignore my earlier post; I hadn't realized that the Balewind Vortex and the wizard on top of it are now counted as being a single model.

So the answer to your original question...

3 hours ago, gabbi said:

...yes.

Well, actually the Core Rules says, in the "Measuring Distances" box: 

Distances in Warhammer Age of Sigmar are measured in inches ("), between the closest points of the bases of the models you’re measuring to and from. If a model does not have a base, measure to and from the closest point of that model instead.

And the Balewind Vortex warscroll states:

Summon Balewind Vortex:
[...]
As long as the Balewind Vortex remains on the battlefield, the caster and the Balewind Vortex are treated as being a single model from the caster’s army that uses the caster’s warscroll as well as the endless spells rules. It is treated as an enemy model by the opposing player’s army.

If the caster and the Balewind Vortex are treated as being a single model, I could measure from the Balewind Vortex base (nothwithstanding we consider it an actual base or  "the closest point of that model" ) to the Umbral Spellportal.

Still reading rules RAW. What do you think? I'm honestly asking. Last thing I want, is being "that guy", the one who tries to stretch rules to his advantage.

Archived