How do I glue models to MDF bases?

swiftmus

Hi all,

I recently purchased an Ogre army off ebay and am waiting for it to arrive. I want to rebase the models on rounds and my order from Sarissa Precision arrived today. The bases are MDF and I was wondering what the best to glue the models to the bases is. The models are all plastic apart from a metal Tyrant.

Would super glue be the best option or is there something specific I can get for plastic -> wood?

All help appreciated.

Hi,

Using plastic glue would not work well as the glue is suppose to "melt" the plastic sides together. Wood glue could work on the plastic but I would honestly recommend using regular superglue and then use all-purpose glue to sand the base. It will give it some extra bond and lock down the models nicely.

Good luck!

3 hours ago, Grimnaud said:

I'd recommend sealing the MDF bases with a couple of layers of wood glue to keep it from warping. Then use superglue to attach the models to the base.

That also depends on how thick the MDF is. if it is fairly thick (.3") +  , It is less likely to warp unless you have very large bases for behemoths. But @Grimnaud tip is good and I would do it on every base for safety as long as you have the time to sit down and do them. :)

Thanks for the tips, I'll take the time to seal the bases with glue before sticking the base material on and finish by trying superglue. The seal should prevent the superglue adsorption and I'll apply the glue to the model first anyway.

I can also recommend Gorilla Superglue Gel (there is a non-gel version so be warned), becoming quite widely available in the UK now (Wilko's sells it).  It fills small gaps so is ideal for models where you don't have a 100% flat surface.  Make sure you shake before use though ;)

Archived