AoS 2 - Bretonnia Discussion

oscisi

8 hours ago, Chris Tomlin said:

@oscisi - This is now added to the Order Discussion Hub.

Thank you mate! Let’s hope more people join this merry band of nobles and peasants!

28 minutes ago, Aezeal said:

Stormcasts are big... bigger than normal humans sure.. but relative to their size are they really that bulky.. I mean... completely armoured guys ARE bulky. Especially the less armoured stormcast don't seem that bulky to me.

My question, though, is what IS the normal human size in AoS? Maybe Blood Reavers can be used as a benchmark?

16 hours ago, Skreech Verminking said:

Hi, it’s great to see some people still playing the French talking army in aos.

I still find them to be one of the best looking army’s which has ever existed in the Warhammer worlds. (including aos) (just after the skaven faction of course).

its a shame that they aren’t produced anymore.

Cheers mate! Did you ever play them yourself? I’m gonna try to find the time to write a new Battle report on Sunday :)

On 10/10/2018 at 8:52 PM, oscisi said:

Thank you mate! Let’s hope more people join this merry band of nobles and peasants!

My question, though, is what IS the normal human size in AoS? Maybe Blood Reavers can be used as a benchmark?

Sizewise I'd say reavers yes.. they should be human just starting on the bloodbound path and while being muscular they should be normal lengthwise. How do they compare to old elves or empire guys?

7 hours ago, Aezeal said:

Sizewise I'd say reavers yes.. they should be human just starting on the bloodbound path and while being muscular they should be normal lengthwise. How do they compare to old elves or empire guys?

Here are some pictures I found online, and some of my oldest models (painted when I was 10 years old) next to SCE. I don't have any Chaos units to compare with so we'll have to use the liberator as a "ruler".

19278038463_0541213080_h.jpg.46fe9c32f51ff55ba3ade53ab1b8f7f0.jpgimage1.jpeg.32a780faa43022382f34369b40bd6c23.jpegsigmar-stormclad-fantasy-size.jpg.fce1ae3398e7312b88c11affe44f5dcb.jpg

Seeing it black on white like this, I honestly think Bloodreavers and Noble Champions are about the same size. But now I'm comparing a chaff unit to a five wound hero, so I'd still say there is a bit of "size creep"

What do you think?

Edited by oscisi
Fixed a type-o

I think that it's odd that a stormcast character is larger than a stormcast grunt. It's a thing I only associate with non order guys (Orcs, Chaos mostly). I think there is size creep but that it's fairly limited. Should Idoneth be regular sized elves? If so how do they match up.. and Kharadron/Fyreslayers to old dwarves.

• 1 month later...

Greetings everyone,

Having moved abroad a few years ago and not being able to play much AoS except on the occasional visit home I've had to theory hammer quite a bit. While we Brets have certainly had a massive power hit with the latest compendium, there's still a few units in there that are defiantly still a goer.

- As mentioned, the Enchantress is an absolute steal at 160 points. Cast twice a turn with a re-roll and can self heal? Moves 14" a turn? 7 Attacks?! Yes please. All of that without mentioning their (I love that you can pluralise them now by taking more than one) other cool ability of buffing arguably the only decent 'unit' left to brets...Grail Knights

- The current meta seems to be filled with Death and quite a lot of Daemons (including Lizzies 😂). A unit of these bad boys can go through stuff in pretty short order thanks to their reliable charges and decent damage output. Combo that with multiple Enchantresses helping to buff them and you have a very nasty unit (or units as i'd probably be running them in 5s). Sure, they're not as survivable as previously but you still have access to a damsel to help out where needed.

- Bretonnian Lord - Re-roll charges and can fight monsters for 140. Enough said.

I recently wrote a list with these maxed out and some endless spells - pretty confident it could get 3 solids wins in an event.

• Like 2

12 hours ago, VonSmall said:

Greetings everyone,

Having moved abroad a few years ago and not being able to play much AoS except on the occasional visit home I've had to theory hammer quite a bit. While we Brets have certainly had a massive power hit with the latest compendium, there's still a few units in there that are defiantly still a goer.

- As mentioned, the Enchantress is an absolute steal at 160 points. Cast twice a turn with a re-roll and can self heal? Moves 14" a turn? 7 Attacks?! Yes please. All of that without mentioning their (I love that you can pluralise them now by taking more than one) other cool ability of buffing arguably the only decent 'unit' left to brets...Grail Knights

- The current meta seems to be filled with Death and quite a lot of Daemons (including Lizzies 😂). A unit of these bad boys can go through stuff in pretty short order thanks to their reliable charges and decent damage output. Combo that with multiple Enchantresses helping to buff them and you have a very nasty unit (or units as i'd probably be running them in 5s). Sure, they're not as survivable as previously but you still have access to a damsel to help out where needed.

- Bretonnian Lord - Re-roll charges and can fight monsters for 140. Enough said.

I recently wrote a list with these maxed out and some endless spells - pretty confident it could get 3 solids wins in an event.

Hey there!

Awesome to see another Bretonnia fan finding their way to this thread!

And I do enjoy some theorycrafting every now and then 😛

I could not agree more regarding Grail Knights and running them together with the wonderful Enchantress(es)! I actually do use 10 of them in one unit most of the time, just to make sure that whatever I hit actually dies, so that I’m free to charge with them again on the next turn. Keeping them locked in combat means I’m not using them to their full potential. 

Unfortunately I’ve found that none of the 7 attacks from the Enchantress have been able to do much, but that doesn’t bother me too much since such a fast wizard is priceless for getting victory points in all those battle plans that require wizard keyword (or an artefact) on a hero to be able to hold the objective. 

Please let me know how it goes if you ever get to try the Bretonnian Lord in action. I don’t really like his command ability so I would probably consider having two noble standard bearers (or just another Enchantress) rather than spending points on him. 

I have been really busy with work lately but I’m gonna try to get the time to write another battle report where my Brets saw action, hopefully I will be able to ge that done this coming weekend, at least a small game 😀

Until then, cheers!

...and... For the Lady!

• Like 3

Hello guys!

I think it is starting to become common knowledge in this thread that the Enchantress together with Grail Knights is what keeps Bretonnia floating since the Old World exploded.

For those who still doubt this, I have put together a battle report from a game I played one month ago. This will once again highlight the strength of their synergy. I apologize if some of the details in the report are a little blurry - since I started on my new job I haven't had time to play so I had to go to the "back log" for this one.

This was a 1000 point game but we decided to play on a 6x4 foot table anyway. The battleplan we used was Total Commitment, where you are not allowed to put units in reserve and there are four objectives: those on your own half are worth 1 point per turn whereas those in enemy territory are worth 3 points per turn. The objectives in this battle report are marked as grey, transparent shields with a feather in the middle (you will see there is one in each corner).

471315425_00BRETvsNHnowDONE_Terrain.jpg.81c9fa66aa271aa005f1e4d1bcb75063.jpg

I used my merry Bretonnians from Ghur and played from the South. My opponent, Rafael, brought his army of Nighthaunt hailing from the realm of Death. Our battle took place in the realm of Shadows, Ulgu, where Rafael's Nighthaunt regularly send patrols. On one of these patrols, they discovered a Vanguard element of my Bretonnian army, venturing into the dark to explore whether the opportunities for survival were better here than in the wild realm of Beasts that they hail from.

These are the armies we used:

IMG_0859.JPG.8ab6efc6ffea209cc82dbd27af68bc05.JPG

I won the roll off and decided to place down units first. Since we both had seven drops, I finished first and could therefore decide who would get first turn. Below you see the battlefield after deployment:

1740810857_01BRETvsNHnowDONE_Deployment.jpg.5712867a42f7d6de1d806f19c404a718.jpg

Since it is so essential for Bretonnia to get the charge off, I naturally decided that my opponent should go first, as I almost always do when I play Bretonnia (and which is why it upsets me that there are no viable Battalians to use, I would really like to drop all units at once and make sure to go second).

1070908331_02BRETvsNHnowDONE_Turn_1_Nighthaunt.jpg.17d7b29f6272aa8e815c7d5d66c83789.jpg

The Nighthaunt army was not able to do much on their first turn, and my enemy was unwilling to leave his own objectives undefended. The Chainrasp Horde and the Knight of Shrouds advanced, while the Grimghast Reapers moved to form a wall in front of the objective they were holding. One of the Guardians of Souls, and the Spirit Torment elected to stand guard on each side of the objective. The Nighthaunt army scored two points, making the score [BR 0 - 2 NH]

538814005_03BRETvsNHnowDONE_Turn_1_Bretonnia.jpg.86652356a3a3b7b37dedd4f66124ace9.jpg 

The first, and most important thing I did on my turn, was to summon the Chronomantic Cogs 9 inches in front the Enchantress. She then immediately used it to Speed Up Time (see the clock symbol). My damsel gave the Knights Errant Mystic Shield. She then flew to a tower within range to give the Knights Errant their Eager to Impress buff. I ran my Noble Champion General up to the middle of the battlefield to be able to react to wherever he was needed but made sure to stay in cover. In the shooting phase he threw the Rockjaws (since it is an ability our understanding of the rules told us he could use it even though he ran) and caused 3 mortal wounds to the Chainrasp Horde. The Enchantress and Grail Knights moved up to be ready to charge the Grimghast Reapers.

Now, for the most interesting event of this round, and what made me get a good advantage over my opponent: using the extra speed of the Chronomantic Cogs, I moved my Knights Errant all the way up until they were 3 inches away from the Knight of Shrouds. I then rolled three dice for the charge (because the trumpeter is an awesome part of a Bretonnian cavalry unit) and, by picking the two highest numbers, got a solid 11. This, plus the extra two inches from the Speed Up Time effect, made me be able to completely change plans and take advantage of my opponents fairly ill defended home objective. My epic charge made all 8 Knights Errant be in range to steal the point.

The Enchantress and Grail Knights easily made their charges and then proceeded to completely annihilate the Grimghast Reapers, killing 6 (another one would later leave due to battleshock). The Knights Errant suffered only one wound and managed to kill 4 Glavewraith Stalkers and therefore snatch the objective worth 3 points. This, and the fact that I still held my two home objectives made the score go to [BR 5 - 2 NH]

1128574377_04BRETvsNHnowDONE_Turn_2_Nighthaunt.jpg.245a71a67bcb29da5306245bc1782042.jpg

This turn it was my opponent's turn to be cheeky. He took advantage of both an ability and the Chronomantic Cogs by picking up the Chainraps Horde, putting them down 9 inches away from the Men-at-Arms and the Damsel (the tower was tall) and then rolled a natural 10 to charge them into the poor peasants with all kinds of horrible buffs active. The Knight of Shrouds charged into the backs of the Knights Errant and the Spirit Torment charged the Enchantress.

In the combat phase the following happened: The Spirit torment, being in range of both the Enchantress and the Grail Knights had no chance what so ever and died after having caused only one wound to the Enchantress. The Grail Knights also managed to kill what was left of the Grimghast Reapers. Due to excessive killing, and using piling in efficiently, there were now enough Bretonnians in range of the objective to steal it from the poor Guardian of Souls still babysitting it.

All did not go my way though; the Knights Errant died a hero's death having already done their duty of snatching the three essential Victory Points. The Men-at-Arms were of course completely helpless in their fight and 11 of them died. The only reason they stayed in battle was because the Damsel was in range to give them Inspiring Presence. Thank the Lady for that. At the end of the turn the standing was [BR 5 - 6 NH]

2053007248_05BRETvsNHnowDONE_Turn_2_Bretonnia.jpg.f9e16062932e067d9812479bd028a929.jpg

Before moving out of range of the Chronomantic Cogs, the Enchantress made sure to Slow Down Time (again, see the clock symbol), giving her the equivalent of Mystic Shield, and another spell to cast (reaching an impressive grand total of 3). This, however, was not necessary this round since she and the Grail Knights charged in and killed the Guardian of Souls easily. My General ran out from his cover in the middle and tried to block the path of the other Guardian of Souls to challenge his way towards my objectives. He also tried to throw his Ghur artifact, the Rockjaws, but unfortunately missed. The other Noble Champion advanced to better be able to guard his objective.

My damsel managed to cast the Soulsnare Shackles and placed them within 6 inches of my enemies to block the path of the Glaivewraith Stalkers and Knight of Shrouds on their advance towards my objectives. The damsel then flew for her life towards the two objectives I was still holding. Left on the ground was the biggest Hero of today's battle: admired among his peers for the beautiful fig trees on his farm, a brave peasant, henceforth known as Figo, stood fast on his own, against a horde of ghosts, and sacrificed his life to slow down the advance of the relentless spirits. May songs of his deeds be sung in every hall, and may he be remembered forever (to ensure this, I made sure to write his new name on the bottom side of his base 😁). At the end of the turn, the standing was now [BR 9 - 6 NH]

1433916836_06BRETvsNHnowDONE_Turn_3_Nighthaunt.jpg.958881744d77f81e91b37478fbdb66fa.jpg

Now at the start of the 3rd battle round, my opponent was quite disheartened. He had managed to kill brave Figo last round, but failed the charge into the unprotected damsel. The remaining Guardian of Souls entered battle with my Noble Champion (the General) but was unable to come out on top. Realizing that he had few opportunities of improving his situation, and that he would most likely be 3 Victory Points behind me for the rest of the battle, he choose to resign.

The remaining 4 units of ghosts let out many frustrated howls and screeches before disappearing into the dark mists they had come from. The four victorious Heroes of Bretonnia, and the glorious Grail Knights, marched back to Ghur where they reported that although Ulgu seemed promising, the lack of horses spoke strongly in favor of staying in the Realm of Beasts for the time being. 

-------

Thanks for reading! I hope you enjoyed this little Vanguard battle. In the future I hope to make my battle reports less technical and even more narrative. Any feedback on this one would be most welcome!

I will leave you with my final lessons from this particular battle:

• The only thing better than an Enchantress is two Enchantresses
  • Grail Knights are wrecking balls, make sure to pick enemy units you can kill in one or two turns to maximize charge opportunities
  • Spells can be very helpful to make weak armies like Bretonnia more competitive. In this case it was the Chronomantic Cogs that made it possible for my Knights Errant to move more than two feet (25 inches to be exact) and gain those game deciding 3 Victory Points turn one.

Cheers and good luck in your games! 

E3586013-C5D4-4CC2-9ABB-6A957D638952.jpeg.80349ede956e7df74049c4790c47e12f.jpeg

Edited by oscisi
Fixed some spelling errors
  • Like 4

So, a list I'm considering for when I finally get my shyish vampiric bretonnians going:

Heroes:

Enchantress - General - Strategic genius - Wraithbow
Damsel on Peg

Units:

8 x Knights Errant - Battleline
16 x Men at Arms - Battleline
5 x Grail Knights
5 x Grail Knights

Spells:

Chronomantic Cogs (haven't looked at many endless spells but I know this one is supposed to be good for helping get charges off)

Pts: 1000/1000

The bright side of doing shyish is that if I run out of bret horses for the grail knights then dredblade harrow or black knight ones should do :)

Also in case it interests anyone Anvil industries had their daughters of the burning rose line kickstartered earlier in the year and should be coming to their main store in the new year, basically female medieval armoured which might work for some female bret conversions. Also robed bodies for battle pilgrims (nuns). Once my kickstarter rewards arrive I shall try and get some photos to see how they match up!

I'm hoping I might be able to make a nice Repanse de Lyonesse style bret lord out of one.

Also if anyone has any recommendations for how I could kitbash a king on hippogriff I'd love to hear!

Edited by Lightbox
  • Like 1

23 hours ago, Lightbox said:

So, a list I'm considering for when I finally get my shyish vampiric bretonnians going:

Heroes:

Enchantress - General - Strategic genius - Wraithbow
Damsel on Peg

Units:

8 x Knights Errant - Battleline
16 x Men at Arms - Battleline
5 x Grail Knights
5 x Grail Knights

Spells:

Chronomantic Cogs (haven't looked at many endless spells but I know this one is supposed to be good for helping get charges off)

Pts: 1000/1000

The bright side of doing shyish is that if I run out of bret horses for the grail knights then dredblade harrow or black knight ones should do :)

Also in case it interests anyone Anvil industries had their daughters of the burning rose line kickstartered earlier in the year and should be coming to their main store in the new year, basically female medieval armoured which might work for some female bret conversions. Also robed bodies for battle pilgrims (nuns). Once my kickstarter rewards arrive I shall try and get some photos to see how they match up!

I'm hoping I might be able to make a nice Repanse de Lyonesse style bret lord out of one.

Also if anyone has any recommendations for how I could kitbash a king on hippogriff I'd love to hear!

Hi there!

Your list looks quite strong by Bretonnian standards! My only concern is that you only have one viable objective grabbing hero. The Damsel has a 6+ save and 5 wounds..

So even though the Chronomantic Cogs are one of my favourites, you could consider dropping that, and the Damsel, to include another Enchantress. If you are determined to use endless spells, then maybe keep the cogs, add the Soulsnare Shackles and use a Noble Champion instead of the Damsel. I do realize the Knights will loose their re-roll so maybe Knights of the realm is another option (opting out of the Shackles to save those last 20 points).

That Kickstarter sounds awesome! I, myself, have a long term project of making a converted Bretonnia army so I will definitely have to look into that. 

As for the King on Hippogryph, the obvious choice would be to use this guy:

https://www.games-workshop.com/en-SE/Aventis-Firestrike-Magister-Of-Hammerhal-2018

I love that model! I’ve heard that some people dislike its face but since you would change that into an eagle head anyway, it doesn’t really pose a problem. 

Please keep us posted about any news on your project 😀 Sounds like it could turn out really cool!

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, oscisi said:

Hi there!

Your list looks quite strong by Bretonnian standards! My only concern is that you only have one viable objective grabbing hero. The Damsel has a 6+ save and 5 wounds..

So even though the Chronomantic Cogs are one of my favourites, you could consider dropping that, and the Damsel, to include another Enchantress. If you are determined to use endless spells, then maybe keep the cogs, add the Soulsnare Shackles and use a Noble Champion instead of the Damsel. I do realize the Knights will loose their re-roll so maybe Knights of the realm is another option (opting out of the Shackles to save those last 20 points).

That Kickstarter sounds awesome! I, myself, have a long term project of making a converted Bretonnia army so I will definitely have to look into that. 

As for the King on Hippogryph, the obvious choice would be to use this guy:

https://www.games-workshop.com/en-SE/Aventis-Firestrike-Magister-Of-Hammerhal-2018

I love that model! I’ve heard that some people dislike its face but since you would change that into an eagle head anyway, it doesn’t really pose a problem. 

Please keep us posted about any news on your project 😀 Sounds like it could turn out really cool!

My issue with noble champions is I'm not sure what I'd do model wise for them...  I could take stormcast and make the heads more like medieval knights and have my noble champs as for honour style massive knights leading my force...

Actually that could be kinda cool.

And as for aventis firestrike, he could be pretty cool actually. Only shame is a bit pricey oof... but definitely worth considering!

• Like 1

On 11/28/2018 at 1:11 PM, Lightbox said:

My issue with noble champions is I'm not sure what I'd do model wise for them...  I could take stormcast and make the heads more like medieval knights and have my noble champs as for honour style massive knights leading my force...

Actually that could be kinda cool.

And as for aventis firestrike, he could be pretty cool actually. Only shame is a bit pricey oof... but definitely worth considering!

I ageee with both these statements! Honestly I am starting to like conversions of SCE into Brets more and more 😁

There are some cool examples further up in this thread if you need inspiration!

In other news my poor knights unfortunately got crushed by 13 Evocators today - not very attractive to write a battle report about 😛

• Sad 1

Hi Guys,

Just love to see some bretonnia fans here! It was my first and biggest love.

I collected them as a 10yo where they where in the box with the Lizardman. 

After 15 years I recently got back in AOS and was heartbroken they killed out knights. Even more so since I’ve never even used them. So I have been playing some Seraphon in a competative scene. Love those lizard too. But I do feel an itch for The Knights on my next tournament.  Especially wanting to use Louen Leoncour! So i’ve come up with the next list. 

Allegiance: Order
Mortal Realm: Ulgu

Leaders
King on Hippogryph (400)
- General
- Trait: Strategic Genius
- Artefact: Sword of Judgement 
Enchantress (160)

Battleline
8 x Knights Of The Realm (220)
16 x Men At Arms (120)

Units
10 x Grail Knights (360)

Total: 1260 / 1250
Extra Command Points: 0
Allies: 0 / 200
Wounds: 67

(Or change KotR to Errants if my opponent wants me to stay below 1250)

With the new artifacts, we can make some killer combo’s. The plan is to use the King as a hero/behemoth killer.  With his command ability giving him +1 to hit and with the Enchantress also giving him a blessing for a +1 to hit (rerollable casting). Now being +2 to hit, rerollable vs heroes or monsters, doing d6 mortal wounds on a 4+ instead of a 6+. That average about more than 3 d6 mortal wounds and 2 regular hits. With also the damage from the hippogryf. I would say he could oneshot most heroes or monsters. 

Besides him, I would use the 10 grailknights as wreckingball. Backedup by the Enchantress to have a 2+ rerollable. Just putting 10 knight in so they can take some ranged damage before they charge in. 

Use the 8 Knights of the Realm as objective grabbers. And the MAA to screen or hold the home objective. 

With being “only” 5 drops I should be able most times to give my opponent the first turn, so they are in charge ranged. In our local meta there arent much battalions in 1250 point tournaments. 

A bit undecisive on the command trait. Master of defence is a nice wardsave. But I also do want my king to make the charge. Could make him dauntless, but rather have the command point so I could save it for his command ability. Comming to think of it, I think his command ability is stackable and could be used multiple times to even get a 3+ d6 mortal wounds, rerollable. Wow. 

I know this list has shortcommings. Must have the charge. And screens can ruin my day. But I think this is the best I can do with the Brets. And just try to table my opponent but also not weak on the objective games.

Also any other artifact with 6+ effects on the hit roll are nice for the King if you dont want him to be a hero/monster hunter, but just a melee beast. 

What do you guys thinks?

Edited by Iggy Starhost
  • Like 1

While I like the no-battleshock effect for the King, at 400 points he's really expensive!

The Bret Lord is less than half the price, gives other units re-roll charges and with sword of judgement and legendary fighter has 6 attacks as well with 4+ being D6 Mortals...

Sure he has less wounds but he's also not such a big investment if he dies.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, VonSmall said:

While I like the no-battleshock effect for the King, at 400 points he's really expensive!

The Bret Lord is less than half the price, gives other units re-roll charges and with sword of judgement and legendary fighter has 6 attacks as well with 4+ being D6 Mortals...

Sure he has less wounds but he's also not such a big investment if he dies.

Thanks! I was looking at the lord aswell for a more competatice edge. But can you really play bretonnia without the almighty Leoun! Maybe make the lord a Gilles le Breton to fit the awesomeness of a king.

Only small downside would be rerolls vs heroes. Which I would like vs Idoneth or DoK

Edited by Iggy Starhost
  • Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Greetings and Salutations!

I had to make an account just so I can come in and join on this thread. To join others who still hold strong to Bretonnia.

While Bretonnia was my main faction in Warhammer Fantasy, I have not had a lot of games with Bretonnia in AoS, I have finally gotten the old boys on to… proper bases? There is no rules for them as of yet, I believe. And have gotten a small cluster of them commissioned painted.

Current List is as follows:

Leaders
 - King on Hippogryph (General) – 400 pts

- Quicksilver Potion (Usual)

- Dauntless (Usual)

- Fey Enchantress – 160 pts

- Damsel on Horse – 100 pts

- Battlemage (Ally) (Amber) – 120 pts

- Loremaster (Ally) – 140 pts

Battleline

- Knights of the Realm x16 – 440 pts

- Knights Errant x8 – 200 pts

- Man-at-Arms x32 – 240 pts

Units

- Grail Knights x5 – 180 pts

Endless Spells

- Quicksilver Swords – 20 pts

This is the current set up for my 2000 pts of Bretonnia. I have played a handful of local games with them, as well as a few games with MiniWarGaming. Which I believe the videos for my 1000 pts and 2000 pts are up for public view. Where I took 1000 pts up against Maggotkin and 2000 pts against Beastmen (Tale as old as time). I learned some valuable things for the MWG crew. As they are a bit more experienced then my local crew, and have a fair bit more tactical, "genius." I have some better battle tactics in my mind for future fights to bring hopefully more success. For the list however, my current plan is to toss the Battlemage and Loremaster. Pick up a Archmage on Horse ally (or just proxy a damsel as it). Get my Damsel on a Pegsus painted, as well as my Lord on a Pegsus. Put those two into the fight. Then drop the Grail Knights and Man-at-Arms and put in another 16 Knights of the Realm.

Anyone got any tips on what I should add? Remove? Change? I got plenty of old Bretonnia models to add to the army.

I can add pictures of the army later if anyone wants, and/or links to my fights with MWG. I just didn’t feel comfortable adding such things as my first post to the forum.

Edited by Drakilian
  • Like 1
  • LOVE IT! 1

@Iggy Starhost and @VonSmall thank you for keeping the internering discussions going!

1 hour ago, Drakilian said:

Greetings and Salutations!

I had to make an account just so I can come in and join on this thread. To join others who still hold strong to Bretonnia.

While Bretonnia was my main faction in Warhammer Fantasy, I have not had a lot of games with Bretonnia in AoS, I have finally gotten the old boys on to… proper bases? There is no rules for them as of yet, I believe. And have gotten a small cluster of them commissioned painted.

Current List is as follows:

Leaders
 - King on Hippogryph (General) – 400 pts

- Quicksilver Potion (Usual)

- Dauntless (Usual)

- Fey Enchantress – 160 pts

- Damsel on Horse – 100 pts

- Battlemage (Ally) (Amber) – 120 pts

- Loremaster (Ally) – 140 pts

Battleline

- Knights of the Realm x16 – 440 pts

- Knights Errant x8 – 200 pts

- Man-at-Arms x32 – 240 pts

Units

- Grail Knights x5 – 180 pts

Endless Spells

- Quicksilver Swords – 20 pts

This is the current set up for my 2000 pts of Bretonnia. I have played a handful of local games with them, as well as a few games with MiniWarGaming. Which I believe the videos for my 1000 pts and 2000 pts are up for public view. Where I took 1000 pts up against Maggotkin and 2000 pts against Beastmen (Tale as old as time). I learned some valuable things for the MWG crew. As they are a bit more experienced then my local crew, and have a fair bit more tactical, "genius." I have some better battle tactics in my mind for future fights to bring hopefully more success. For the list however, my current plan is to toss the Battlemage and Loremaster. Pick up a Archmage on Horse ally (or just proxy a damsel as it). Get my Damsel on a Pegsus painted, as well as my Lord on a Pegsus. Put those two into the fight. Then drop the Grail Knights and Man-at-Arms and put in another 16 Knights of the Realm.

Anyone got any tips on what I should add? Remove? Change? I got plenty of old Bretonnia models to add to the army.

I can add pictures of the army later if anyone wants, and/or links to my fights with MWG. I just didn’t feel comfortable adding such things as my first post to the forum.

Amazing!

I actually read that you had got them commissioned painted and saw your list, and straight away got the feeling “this is the army from MiniWarGaming!”

Welcome to this little corner of the internet! I was really happy to hear you actually took the time to make an account just to join us here :) And it’s pretty cool to have a war gaming celebrity among us!

I love your list and the look of the army. If I could change anything I would get more Grail Knights and keep the battle line units at a minimum. Also, the Quicksilver Swords are quite inconsistent. For 20 points I would much rather have the Soulsnare Shackles to further increase the mobility advantage Bretonnia typically has (since probably 90 percent of the battles I win are won due to outmaneuver my enemy rather than tabling him). 

It would also be cool if you could share a bit of your experience playing at the MWG studio!

Cheers!

28 minutes ago, oscisi said:

@Iggy Starhost and @VonSmall thank you for keeping the internering discussions going!

Amazing!

I actually read that you had got them commissioned painted and saw your list, and straight away got the feeling “this is the army from MiniWarGaming!”

Welcome to this little corner of the internet! I was really happy to hear you actually took the time to make an account just to join us here :) And it’s pretty cool to have a war gaming celebrity among us!

I love your list and the look of the army. If I could change anything I would get more Grail Knights and keep the battle line units at a minimum. Also, the Quicksilver Swords are quite inconsistent. For 20 points I would much rather have the Soulsnare Shackles to further increase the mobility advantage Bretonnia typically has (since probably 90 percent of the battles I win are won due to outmaneuver my enemy rather than tabling him). 

It would also be cool if you could share a bit of your experience playing at the MWG studio!

Cheers!

The Knights of the Realm being the bread and butter however I have found, need 10+ models to get a basic reroll 1s to hit. Which is great when combined with the King's command ability. They are a bit costly however.  The men-at-arms are particularly useless in most regards other than holding an objective. Though combined with the Archmage's Elemental Shield... they may be a bit more durable. With most my battles I have found that the Divine Blessing is that. A blessing. Without it, Bretonnia can't hold up in a competitive manner. As everyone can throw mortal wounds, and bretonnia can give none.

While I agree that the Grail Knights are a powerhouse model, and one of our best currently. Far better than the Questing or Pegasus knights.  With Legions of Nagash being the prime army I have send played... well everywhere. The 3 damage on the charge is pretty nice. The issue is their -1 rend is really... not a thing. The rest of the army has no rend, so you're already used to that. They have the same to hit and wound rolls as a Knight of the Realm. They have the same wounds as well. And are just as poorly durable as their counterparts. The biggest issue I always have had... is even getting them in combat. As soon as someone hears what they are and do. Their focused.

As for Leaders, I see no use in a Noble. While good at supporting a man-at-arms. Once the King is on the field, they are mute. The Noble w/ Standards, does nothing. Sacred Protector.... a mockery of our poor Green Knight. Really

Really all and all, I hope with all my might GW at least... AT LEAST messes with their points in the next Generals Handbook... but I know it won't happen.

For the endless spells, I agree the Quicksilver swords are iffy. My local area uses a lot of Chaos so they've been a delight. Personally, i prefer the Prismatic Palisade. As your enemy can't control it and you can use it to block your enemies’ movements. Force them to channel the way you want, or waste a wizard's unbinding attempt to allow you to clear your chances for Divine Blessing, or have a enemy wizard waste a spell to remove the palisade on his turn. Since Bretonnia has no ranged attacks on their decent models... it doesn't interfere with them much at all.

For the MWG crew and all. Their great, their great guys and a ton of fun to hang out with. Great company and such. Biggest surprise, just how (lack of a better term) chill Dave is outside the camera.  Got to see how the process was, and how the business works. So many gears going behind it. After spending three or so days with them, it was exhausting, surprised they can handle it every day. A lot more goes on then the cameras show. Even with being military, I have never been scheduled for my daily activities like that (other than maybe boot).

They all are great, and actually I wouldn't have put on my garb for Dave's games if it wasn't for Matt, Luca, and Steve all egging me on to do it. Was a delight. I suck at words and can't really explain it as well as just visiting them would do. Can't wait to visit them again for a Bretonnia revenge fight. Especially when they said they would love to do a fight where I used the Legacy Hero rules.

Edited by Drakilian