AoS 2 - Bretonnia Discussion

oscisi

BY THE LADIES GRACE, IT'S STARTING TO HAPPEN!

Can't tell I'm excited more than a Noise Marine on Slaaneshmas? In that case, allow me to be absolutely blunt. I AM HYPED! My amazing partner has finally received the first shipment of Bretonnians I sent her for painting and Knight Numero Uno has just been completed. (Well, mostly.) And I'm in love.

556392557_FrontAngledView.jpg.3871f778d1d87692ae5f7d86d7d69c0f.jpg

He doesn't have a shield at current, but after seeing how he looks I'm certainly not complaining~

347707908_FrontView.jpg.b49bd40832efb304b8f654ed6612d2f5.jpg

Yes I know that she painted part of the barding like the horses neck, honestly I'm okay with it though. As long as she doesn't do that to all of them...

762705355_LeftView.jpg.5d32af3daf95c2b6e12bde338fdfecb6.jpg

No Coat of Arms yet but her hands are playing up today so she wasn't able to freehand. I look forward to a time when she is able to add some freehand designs though! Also, can we just appreciate how nice that Wine Red Scabbard is~

1262287382_RightView.jpg.09aa2ad7164ae8e408d017fb57670daf.jpg

I love the little Fleur De Lis on the Lances~ And for that matter, the 'Eavy Metal Lances are great too.

620266474_KnightBack.jpg.34fa546bb39cc2e6924588dfe00b6699.jpg

And to round it off, I love the darkened armour effect and the look of the fabrics...

Is it bad to say that this is making me love my partner even more? Because I am sooooooo happy at the moment~

I need to treat her to something... But I'm broke. Daaaaaaamn it. 

Well, in the meantime all I can say is,
FOR ZE LADY!

~ilaxu

Edited by ilaxu 'Minute'
Removed Excess Image
  • Like 2

On 6/24/2019 at 1:55 AM, ilaxu 'Minute' said:

So I've been thinking about how I want to theme my army visually recently and that's inspired me to go and have a read over the lore behind Bretonnia a bit. And after looking through, honestly I still have to say I'm heavily drawn towards Mousillon. 

But what I wanted to ask is what do others find most interesting about Fair Bretonnia? What parts of the lore appeal to you most, be they concepts, characters or events.

My favorite part of the lore comes in two folds.

The Lady of the Lake is actually the elven godess of prophecy. She saw the end of the old world. She knew she needed an army to face it. But she the elves would never become or would be able to hold a code that would allow them to be the bulwark against the terror.

So she set motion a plan to create a kingdom of knights built around a code of honor so that she could basically have the Questing to have men prove their valor and become her Grail Knights her army to stop the end times.

Which leads into my most favorite bit of lore. Grail Knights, the space marines of fantasy. Able to wrestle orcs, bullgors, and dragoths in meleely. Able to combat the most fearsom of Daemons and succeed.

They drank from the grail, litterally the divine blood of a god and became what Sigmar thinks his f***ing Stormcast are without all the personality issues. Demi-gods of war and justice.

They can live for hundreds of years, take blows no nornal human can take, and inhumanly athletic and enduring.

They literally bleed HOLY LIGHT.

Shove that up your arses Stormcast.

Oh Quick Edit:

When one of they first Vampires ever made, the Knight Abhorash, the legendary Leader of the Blood Dragons and once the body guard of Nafereta in the gar ancient days of Lahmia. Until her untimely turn to necromancy and her playing on his loyalty to corrupt him into a Vampire.

Bends a knee to Gilles in the end times and declares he had never met a more honorable man and swears fealty to him.

Both he and Gilles fight side by side against the unending hordes until the end of the end times. Both legendary knights of honor and justice. But one of Holy Light and one of Bloody Undeath. Allies and comrades.

Talk about nerdin out.

"Gilles le Breton would lead Bretonnia's defence during the End Times, with he and the Lady of the Lake appointing Louen Leoncouer as his champion. Gilles fought alongside the legendary Abhorash, for even he bent knee to the uniter of Bretonnia. In the closing days of the Old World, Bretonnia still stood while the Empire was destroyed. Gilles the Uniter and Abhorash the Vampire fought alongside each other, armies of the living and dead made a last stand in Bretonnia as the world finally ended. It was implied that Gilles would ascend to godhood alongside Louen Leoncoeur, part of the Lady's plan to save humanity."

Edited by Drakilian
  • Like 2

After a few quick read throughs of the General's Handbook 2019 and there might be some goodies that we can use to our advantage.

For example, @Drakilianyou mentioned how cool it was that Abhorash and Gilles fought side-by-side during the end times? We can recreate that with that new  Order of the Blood-drenched Rose (Grail Knights AND Blood Knights!? MUAH HAHAHAHA!) which aside from just beyond cool, does make for a hard hitting unit we can now use.

I'm not as taken with the new command traits (re-roll's one for melee, shooting, saves) as most of our units already have access to it in one form or another.  That being said, I don't think they should be dismissed either as a King or Sacred Protector with re-roll 1's  combined with the King's ability to add 1 on the charge is going to insure they hit hard all the time (heck even the Hypogriff is going  to become reliable!).  If you're willing to fork our for the forbidden power terrain piece as well, then command points should be in decent supply to make these combos work (provided the dice favour you even some of the time).

What are your thoughts?

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Pellynor said:

After a few quick read throughs of the General's Handbook 2019 and there might be some goodies that we can use to our advantage.

For example, @Drakilianyou mentioned how cool it was that Abhorash and Gilles fought side-by-side during the end times? We can recreate that with that new  Order of the Blood-drenched Rose (Grail Knights AND Blood Knights!? MUAH HAHAHAHA!) which aside from just beyond cool, does make for a hard hitting unit we can now use.

I'm not as taken with the new command traits (re-roll's one for melee, shooting, saves) as most of our units already have access to it in one form or another.  That being said, I don't think they should be dismissed either as a King or Sacred Protector with re-roll 1's  combined with the King's ability to add 1 on the charge is going to insure they hit hard all the time (heck even the Hypogriff is going  to become reliable!).  If you're willing to fork our for the forbidden power terrain piece as well, then command points should be in decent supply to make these combos work (provided the dice favour you even some of the time).

What are your thoughts?

Mercenaries are Narrative play only I believe. Or I may have read wrong. It has been proven many a times I have read wrong.

1 hour ago, Drakilian said:

Mercenaries are Narrative play only I believe. Or I may have read wrong. It has been proven many a times I have read wrong.

You can indeed use mercenaries for matches play. Check what @Sir Valiant de Quenelles wrote on the previous page:

(Page 46.)

- One army can only hire one Mercenary Company.

- If a Company is hired by your army, 1 of 4 of your units could  be one of the units of the company. (In case of the Bloodknights, for instance, you can have a Knights of the Realm unit, a Men at arms unit, a bowmen unit and then you can choose 1 Vampire Lord or 1 unit (3 max) of Blood Knights).  This units from the mercenary companies have the trait <Mercenary>

-This units can't be included on your allegiance, and any mercenary character couldn't be the general of the army.

- If you use them, ONLY in your first turn you don't get your command point.

- Any unit summoned by a Mercenary unit gets the Mercenary trait.

- Mercenaries are not battlelines, but they units with traits "Leader" "Behemoth" and "Artilery" counts as that for the limitations of the armies.

I'm looking at this potential army utilising the fun of mercenaries:

Heroes:
King on hyppogryph - 400
Enchantress - 160

Units:
16x Men at arms - 120 -- Battleline
16x Knights of the Realm - 440 -- Battleline
30x Freeguild Archers - 300 -- Battleline
5x Grail Knights - 180

10x Blood Knights - 400 -- Mercenaries

2000/2000
Allies: 400/400

Edited by Lightbox

16 hours ago, Pellynor said:

What are your thoughts?

I actually think the new command abilities can prove quite useful! Now we don’t need to bring a million squishy heroes just to get the rerolls we need in order to do some damage. Just pay for the extra CP (or to strategic genius) and use the CP on the unit about to bring some pain to the enemy :)

4 hours ago, Lightbox said:

I'm looking at this potential army utilising the fun of mercenaries:

Heroes:
King on hyppogryph - 400
Enchantress - 160

Units:
16x Men at arms - 120 -- Battleline
16x Knights of the Realm - 440 -- Battleline
30x Freeguild Archers - 300 -- Battleline
5x Grail Knights - 180

10x Blood Knights - 400 -- Mercenaries

2000/2000
Allies: 400/400

Looks nice! The poor enemy unit that gets sandwiched between 5 Grail Knights and 10 Blood Knights is going to get obliterated :D But don’t you think it could be worth it to cut down a bit on the big battleline units so you can afford 10 Grail Knights?

31 minutes ago, oscisi said:

I actually think the new command abilities can prove quite useful! Now we don’t need to bring a million squishy heroes just to get the rerolls we need in order to do some damage. Just pay for the extra CP (or to strategic genius) and use the CP on the unit about to bring some pain to the enemy :)

Looks nice! The poor enemy unit that gets sandwiched between 5 Grail Knights and 10 Blood Knights is going to get obliterated :D But don’t you think it could be worth it to cut down a bit on the big battleline units so you can afford 10 Grail Knights?

Yes, I would... if I had 10 grail knight models ;) The moment I can source some suitable representations it will be saying goodbye to 8 of those knights of the realm and hello to another 5 grail knights and an endless spell or two.

On 6/14/2019 at 1:31 PM, Sir Valiant de Quenelles said:

Hi everyone!

As I told you on page 5 if my memory doesn't fail me, I prepared some conversions. (In fact, a simple ones) to play demigryphs on my Bretonnian army. Let me show you the results! The idea is mix the medieval hunting replacing current hounds by those wonderful Gryph Hounds of Age of Sigmar. I know it's not a complex conversion, but give some personality and a bit of difference from the other units on my army.

image.png.20110c3725a015ce26c2b03f1a8b4cce.png

That’s a very good idea! Well done! 

Literally just made an account to speak here. I used to have a rather large fantasy army 6k+ But  sold it all off bit by bit and rage quit when AOS came out and GW dropped 2 of the 3 armies I collected. Unfortunately regretted it ever since. 

Brets got it hard and bad in the wake of the new system from what I gathered but it gives me great pleasure seeing you fellows still upholding the virtuous ways of Bretonnia. 

After reading through this thread which popped up on a google search and seeing some work from a guy on reddit the lady’s grace may have fell upon me again and I feel it may have re-ignited my love. 

So it seems I may have to rebuild (albeit a bit more expensive these days) a small force if not for gaming the nostalgia. 

I’ve gathered from here best starting point is.  King, enchantress, damsel, 10 grails, 8 errants and 16  Kotr. 

It’ll be a long and arduous quest but feel it will be worth it in the end. If you got this far, thank you and I’m sorry. 

• LOVE IT! 1

• 2 weeks later...

Greetings!

I started playing warhammer by the time AoS hit the shelves so i am not that familiar with Brettonian units. I read some of the lore and i have a deep respect for you folks to keep the army going,  specially because my love is for the former High Elves and so far i had little to no GW support.

With that said, now Cities of Sigmar is on its way and it will allow a lot of creative conversion and probably a lot of creativity when it comes to customize your city (and its lore).

Is it interesting to Brettonia fans? Are the models good as proxies for a city army, and allow for a way to play with modern rules?

Cheers!

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Thiagoma said:

Greetings!

I started playing warhammer by the time AoS hit the shelves so i am not that familiar with Brettonian units. I read some of the lore and i have a deep respect for you folks to keep the army going,  specially because my love is for the former High Elves and so far i had little to no GW support.

With that said, now Cities of Sigmar is on its way and it will allow a lot of creative conversion and probably a lot of creativity when it comes to customize your city (and its lore).

Is it interesting to Brettonia fans? Are the models good as proxies for a city army, and allow for a way to play with modern rules?

Cheers!

Short answer, I hope so and I am quite sure we will benefit from it more or less.

Long answer:

Cities of Sigmar will include 7 allegiances. We can be quite sure that these will be one for each of the 7 cities from the Firestorm expansion.

But what does this mean to Bretonnia?

Hammerhal, one of these 7 cities from Firestorm, currently allows you to use any ORDER unit (except SERAPHON) within their allegiance. This means you are allowed to use all Bretonnian units in a Hammerhal army. When they don't change the prerequisite, then Bretonnia could possibly get a fully usable allegiance ability. This would be the best possible outcome. But to be honest, I doubt that they don't change that.

But even when they change faction keywords that are allowed in certain city armies, there is still much room to play Bretonnians as FREE PEOPLES or ORDER DRACONIS for example. So there will be something usable whatever they do. Question is only to what extent.

On 7/20/2019 at 5:26 PM, Nick in York said:

I've just put this in the rumour thread but it is also relevent here...

At the Open Day I got chance to speak to Sam Pearson (rules writer) about the Cities book. He obviously wouldn't say much but was very enthusiastic about it - I got the impression it was something of a passion project for him (this was backed up by lots of other GW staff encouraging me to speak to Sam whenever I mentioned that I was interested in the Cities book).

He said that he'd reviewed all the relevent warscrolls and had had to do a fair bit of tidying up with some of them to make them more realistic. The example he gave was of a model which carried 2 weapons but warscroll had them using 3 in the same phase/turn. He also said that he had written rules to improve some of the weaknesses of AoS - his example was that cavalry currently "hit like a wet fish" and he'd tried to address that.

This really makes me hope that with the battletome release cavalry will perform as well as it is supposed to which is good news for us.

10 hours ago, Thiagoma said:

Oh goodness yes. A lot will depend on what is actually included in the new  battletome such as if there is any form of horse based cavalry. If there is, such as Dragon princes, then I know how I'm going to make a free cities are me with my bretonnian forces. Much of our forces can work with a little creative inspiration but again it all depends on what's in the Army book.

So, straight-up: I am not a fan of the GW Enchantress mini. In Australia, our tournaments are almost all independent, so third party minis are definitely an option. I've been combing for alternatives - preferably in plastic or resin - and it's actually really hard to find decent 28mm non-metal minis of ladies on steeds! There's hardly any out there...

The best alternative I've found thus far is Tam Lin, by Darksword, but of course she's metal. :-(

https://www.darkswordminiatures.com/shop/index.php/miniatures/stephanie-law-masterworks/tam-lin-mounted-fairy.html

Has anyone seen any decent alternatives out there?? Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

22 minutes ago, Roark said:

So, straight-up: I am not a fan of the GW Enchantress mini. In Australia, our tournaments are almost all independent, so third party minis are definitely an option. I've been combing for alternatives - preferably in plastic or resin - and it's actually really hard to find decent 28mm non-metal minis of ladies on steeds! There's hardly any out there...

The best alternative I've found thus far is Tam Lin, by Darksword, but of course she's metal. 😞

https://www.darkswordminiatures.com/shop/index.php/miniatures/stephanie-law-masterworks/tam-lin-mounted-fairy.html

Has anyone seen any decent alternatives out there?? Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

I did a search for the same thing a while back (Fellow Australian) and honestly I hit the same problem as you did. There were a couple potentials but the quality was so poor that I'd honestly say pass them up. The one you have found is excellent though! I may have to get it to be honest.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

It would seem I've fallen behind of major news whilst on holiday in Thailand. Sounds like the Cities of Sigmar could be a blessing or a curse for us flying the Bretonnian Standard. I hope it's the former and will commence research shortly.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

On 7/19/2019 at 3:35 AM, Zazel said:

Literally just made an account to speak here. I used to have a rather large fantasy army 6k+ But  sold it all off bit by bit and rage quit when AOS came out and GW dropped 2 of the 3 armies I collected. Unfortunately regretted it ever since. 

Brets got it hard and bad in the wake of the new system from what I gathered but it gives me great pleasure seeing you fellows still upholding the virtuous ways of Bretonnia. 

After reading through this thread which popped up on a google search and seeing some work from a guy on reddit the lady’s grace may have fell upon me again and I feel it may have re-ignited my love. 

So it seems I may have to rebuild (albeit a bit more expensive these days) a small force if not for gaming the nostalgia. 

I’ve gathered from here best starting point is.  King, enchantress, damsel, 10 grails, 8 errants and 16  Kotr. 

It’ll be a long and arduous quest but feel it will be worth it in the end. If you got this far, thank you and I’m sorry. 

If you do reignite the passion then I wish you luck. It's a tough thing to do, especially with an army as old as Fair Bretonnia but may the Lady aid you in your endeavour.

Thought I'd share my foray back into the hobby after a decade with my first mini, in that time. Interest started  about a year our so ago with the whole dark age of Sigmar posts, but I really overplan and procrastinate

1217542792_20190712_1734541.jpg.94261545cd07a6bb1b0c0b292144032d.jpg

1571295902_20190712_1734181.jpg.5535d28101fc8b424e393415c01f5bf1.jpg

There are more( this has quickly turned from a warband into an army) however I gotta practice my photo skills. Currently building skirmish warbands with their own character. Hopefully could get more soon

I always loved low fantasy aspect of the old world and took cues from an old article  to instill that feel( make all  heroes using core troop choices avoid magic).  I wont get into my opinions on the fluff but I don actually enjoy how open ended Age of Sigmar is for inspiration. I have a few projects ahead with the concept of Bretonnian inspired culture. Long campaigning  from Lantearn Tundras Hysh that I feel represents a progress from the world that was. Keeping a low fantasy theme in a high fantasy setting my projects taking cues from the Cathars ( and a old short story I wrote) and viewing the entirety of the mortal realms as corrupted by dark power( even the Gods of Order).

there is more but maybe I should just start a blog with short blurbs till I can get a more control of the story.I have about 45 pages i've written to help inspire my modeling and Push into my nightmares my failed attempt at a Rainbow tundra base

Edited by Evangelist of Cinders

Awesome to see so much activity here!

There was some chat about Pegasus Knights a while back. Obviously they are way overcosted, but they do have two things going for them: they can keep up with the king, and they are one of the best units in the game for grabbing objectives.

Obviously a King-led Bretonnian army plays around the charge, because we want that +1 to hit with as many things as possible. Pegasus knights can be great for actually managing to get a charge off on the exploding turn. They can fly with the king, shielding him from unwanted charges, and be ready for the big turn.

3 Pegasus Knights can do 10 damage on average charging with a +2 from the King. Bump that up to 20 damage on average with 6 Pegasus Knights.

Coupled with their maneuverability, for that one big charge, they’re not completely horrible.

On 7/28/2019 at 11:32 AM, Duke of Gisoreux said:

Just wanted to share this picture of my rebased Bretonnian force:

DSCN8396_1.JPG.71c11619f28d88a8465fe3d916c2570c.JPG

I even converted a Bretonnian Lord on Dragon to be used as a Dragonlord:

Herzog%20auf%20Drache.jpg

Glorious.

What do you use the dragon as? A Dragonlord?

I’ve been tempted to run my “King” on a Stardrake.