AoS 2 - Bretonnia Discussion

oscisi

Hello there!

I have been a Bretonnia fan since I started collecting the army as a 10-year-old back 18 years ago. Sadly, after actually having been included in the first General’s Handbook, they have then fallen further and further out of the meta. Today I’d say they are widely considered “still legal but largely unplayable”.

I would like to change that. Since the launch of Malign Sorcery, I feel like Bretonnia finally got some decent new options available to them, both in terms of spell lores and artefacts. I would love for this thread to turn into a discussion about what we can do in the AoS 2 meta, to make Bretonnia as competitive as possible! We do have some things going for us; a lot of options for great mobility, and a decent caster in the Enchantress. Other than that we basically need to get the charge to be any good (hello Chronomantic Cogs)!

I invite any Bretonnia fan, or AoS fan in general, to join this conversation and post thoughts, high or low, regarding this classic, knightly army. And if you want to learn more about these peasants and nobles fighting for the lady, feel free to ask! :)

20180718_170724.jpg.9a8dae1577e4a517a2c9d4a41544b975.jpg

I’m going to kick things off by writing a Battle Report about a game I played this week with my Bretonnian army that hails from Ghur, the Realm of Beasts. I gave my King of Hippogryph the Gryph-Feather Charm and I have to say that it helped him greatly in his aspirations to be worth the 400 matched play points he costs!

If you are interested in this then please continue reading. Otherwise, see you in the next post!

First of all, it was a 1500 point game, using the Battlehost rules (i.e 2000 points). This means we had to have three battleline units. The game was between my friend Mágno and myself. He has a Fyreslayers army that hails from Ulgu (the realm of Shadows) against my Bretonnians that, as I mentioned above, hail from Ghur.

Here is a complete list of the two armies:

Bretonnia

Oscar - Allegiance: Order - Mortal Realm: Ghur

LEADERS

King on Hippogryph (400)

- General

- Command Trait : Legendary Fighter

- Artefact : Gryph-feather Charm

Enchantress (160)

Damsel on Pegasus (100)

Damsel

Noble Champion (80)

UNITS

8 x Knights Errant (200)

-Battleline

8 x Knights Errant (200)

-Battleline

16 x Men At Arms (120)

-Battleline

16 x Peasant Bowmen (200)

ENDLESS SPELLS

Ravenak's Gnashing Jaws (40)

TOTAL: 1500/1500 EXTRA COMMAND POINTS: 0 WOUNDS: 89

LEADERS: 4/6 BATTLELINES: 3 (3+) BEHEMOTHS: 0/4 ARTILLERY: 0/4

ARTEFACTS: 1/1 ALLIES: 0/400

Fyreslayers

Mágno - Allegiance: Fyreslayers - Mortal Realm: Ulgu

LEADERS

Auric Runefather on Magmadroth (260)

- General

- Command Trait : Blood of the Berserker

- Artefact : Igneous Plate

Auric Runesmiter (120)

- Forge Key

Battlesmith (120)

Knight-Incantor (140)

- Allies

UNITS

30 x Vulkite Berzerkers (360)

-Pairs of Handaxes

-Battleline

5 x Hearthguard Berzerkers (100)

-Broadaxes

-Battleline if Auric Runefather General

5 x Hearthguard Berzerkers (100)

-Broadaxes

-Battleline if Auric Runefather General

15 x Auric Hearthguard (300)

TOTAL: 1500/1500 EXTRA COMMAND POINTS: 0 WOUNDS: 83

LEADERS: 4/6 BATTLELINES: 3 (3+) BEHEMOTHS: 1/4 ARTILLERY: 0/4

ARTEFACTS: 1/1 ALLIES: 140/400

The battle was fought on a 6x4 foot table and we played a battle plan from the Core Book: Take and Hold. Basically there are two objectives, one in each of the deployment zones, and to hold the objective you need to have at least 5 units within 6 inches of the objective. Starting from the 3rd battleround, one player immediately wins a Major Victory if they have control of both objectives.

Here is a picture of the table, seen from above, as well as a sketch of the battlefield made in Battle Chronicler:

527898869_gamingboard.jpeg.a7ce1954306216310859428909b3a660.jpeg

10.jpg.baab143a9da2d410674453ccb4169032.jpg

We can start by talking magic because, to my disappointment, it was largely negated and didn’t have a big impact on the game. My opponent’s Knight-Incantor managed to get his spell off once and did 3 mortal wounds or so. I got unlucky with the rolls and got off Divine Favour (plus one to hit) once on the unit of Knights Errant that deployed close to the Enchantress. I only managed a successful cast of Ravenak’s Gnashing Jaws once, with the Enchantress in the second batteround, but then my opponent used the Knight-Incantor’s once per battle auto-unbind to negate that. Well played and 140 points of allies well invested by him.

Now, for the other elements of the battle, let’s start from the beginning. I won the roll off for sides and picked the “south” side of the table, which was divided “horizontally”, i.e. with two 6x2 feet halves. The two objectives were placed in each player’s deployment zone, 9 inches from the board edge. In the pictures from Battle Chronicler the orange, glowing orbs symbolize the objectives. I decided to start deploying first. He placed his Auric Runesmiter and the 15 Auric Hearthguard to one side to show that they were deployed underground.  Since we both had 8 drops and no battalions, this meant that I finished first. Since Bretonnia really only shines when we get the charge off, I decided to give the first turn to the Fyreslayers.

Bret-Fyre10.jpg.fd569bea65cb1a020d2212ef01c2958f.jpg

My opponent popped the rune that increases the movement of all Fyreslayers units by 4 inches and then basically just advanced up the board. He left one unit of 5 Hearthguard Berzerkers to defend his home objective, and then basically just advanced the rest of his units up the board. The Battlesmith rolled a 6 for his run and got all the way to the top of a terrain feature at the middle line of the battlefield. The point of giving him a central, and somewhat safe position, was of course to provide the important reroll of failed save rolls to as many units as possible.

Then the Auric Runesmiter and the Auric Hearthguard popped up right in the middle of the battlefield, 9 inches away from my front lines. At the first shooting phase of the game the Auric Runefather on Magmadroth and the Auric Hearthguard were in range to shoot. Three things happened: 1. my opponent probably over-estimated the presented danger of my peasant bowmen, which I basically just see as a unit for holding home objectives. My opponent said he was worried about the Arrowstorm ability. 2. My opponent choose to divide his shooting attacks between the Peasant Bowmen and the Damsel on Pegasus, and 3. My opponent got pretty unlucky with his rolls. All in all 8 bowmen died and the Damsel suffered 3 wounds. No battleshock thanks to the King on Hippogryph.

25.jpg.3484c87a48f7666aa9d84a0870668165.jpg

In my first round I did what every sane Bretonnian would do and used my command point to use the King of the Realm command ability. I only left the Damsel and the Peasant Bowmen back in cover to defend the home objective, all other units moved up. The Echantress with her move characteristic of 14 inches moved to 3 inches away from the Battlesmith with the important task of taking him out as quickly as possible. Unfortunately she rolled a double one and failed her charge. Luckily both the Knights Errant units had very healthy rolls, the “left” one getting a 6 on its run roll, while the “right” one got a 10 for its charge. I had first planned to let them kill the Auric Runesmiter but had to change plans and send them off to battle the Battlesmith and keep the Enchantress safe, since she was now left out in the open without cover. The 8 remaining Peasant Bowmen did their arrowstorm and caused 2 wounds to my opponent’s general. They would only cause one or two more wounds for the rest of the battle. A typical result for that unit…

My Knights Errant managed to cause 3 wounds to the Battlesmith and the rest of my units had a decent damage output as well. But the real champion was my King on Hippogryph. Even though the Auric Runefather on Magmadroth used Blood of the Berzerker to pile in twice, and spent all its attacks on my King, it only caused 5 wounds in total. This was mainly due to the fact that I had the Gryph-Feather Charm, which has a -1 penalty to hit on ALL attacks against the bearer. Thanks to my charge I could also reroll failed save rolls. I then used all of the Kings potential (including using Legendary Fighter to get one more attack with his sword) to dish out 10 wounds against the Magmadroth and, just like that, my opponent had lost one of his most important centre pieces. If the King on Hippogryph does anything well, then it definitely is duelling against enemy heroes or monsters! 6 Auric Hearthguard were killed and another two ran away due to battleshock.

Bret-Fyre21.jpg.adb84c6ec8a86f165dcac5c5b62e5cbe.jpg

My opponent won the roll-off for the second battle round and decided to go first. To start things off he picked the rune that doubles the range for missile weapons. He then moved up the Hearthguard Berzerkers slightly and spread them out to screen the objective better, still keeping all 5 models within 6 inches of the objective. ALL of the Fyreslayers that were in range of the King on Hippogryph fired at him. Again, thanks to the Gryph-Feather Charm, my King was left alive, but with only 2 wounds left. The Vulkite Berzerkers then charged in such a way that they could engage both my Knights Errant and my King on Hippogryph. This was, unfortunately, enough to finally finish the King off, even if the rest of my army would continue fighting on for a while longer. The Enchantress piled in to fight as few Vulkite Berzerkers as possible, and stay as far away from the Hearthguard Berzerkers as possible.

Bret-Fyre25.jpg.4e61807edea86b71ac3a0c6c2d997ec1.jpg

In my second round I ran the still unscathed unit of Knights Errant up to a position 10 inches away from the Hearthguard Berzerkers, and 12 inches away from the objective they were defending. The Peasant Bowmen shot at the Auric Hearthguard, which I considered the only real threat to my home objective, and killed one or two of them. The other unit of Knights Errant cooperated with the Enchantress and managed to kill the Battlesmith before they were killed themselves. No unit decided to pick up the banner of the dead Battlesmith.

60.jpg.20e6d046afe35b22953185ebaba47083.jpg

My opponent won the turn roll-off again and popped a rune, rolled a 6 to get the enhanced version and dealt one mortal wound to each of my units within 3 inches of a Fyreslayers unit. This was enough to kill the Enchantress. Only now fully realizing the threat to his home objective, he then moved every unit that wasn’t in combat as far as possible towards the remaining unit of Knights Errant. The Hearthguard Berzerkers now had a couple of models within range to throw axes and caused 2 wounds, which killed one Knight. They then needed a 6 to make the charge but only rolled a 5. The combat phase resulted in both my Noble Champion and the brave Men-at-Arms, that had fought alongside him for so long, finally died. But it was a worthy sacrifice for the Lady.

Bret-Fyre35.jpg.40929e72bc7f05ccb3d990ccc7e82e6d.jpg

In my third round I ran my Knights Errant up to within 6 inches of my opponent’s objective. Since I had 7 Knights alive in that unit, and his Hearthguard Berzerkers were in a unit of only 5, I could confidently claim that objective. And, according to the Victory Conditions of the battle plan, I immediately won a Major Victory, since my 8 Peasant Bowmen, and the Damsel, who had now healed herself up to full health again, were still holding my home objective.

In my opinion this battle shows three things:

1. It pays off to play for the objective rather than for the kills.

2. Bretonnia has some potential competitively thanks to its many units with a move characteristic of 10 inches or more.

3. The addition of Malign Sorcery GREATLY increases the competitiveness of Bretonnia. Not only was the survivability of my expensive King on Hippogryph basically doubled by the Gryph-Feather Charm, but since our casters are decent, my opponent felt forced to drop one Auric Runesmiter (therefore sacrificing the mobility of having TWO teleporting units) to have a counter to my casts.

Here follows a bunch of pictures from the battle. They are mostly meant to be inspirational, since I consider the pictures above to be more to the point in describing the actual battle.

image2.jpeg.b73dad8c54fd931233f806ab8933c943.jpeg

At the start of the battle.

image3.jpeg.b43a5702680991a9ae989bec59dfbe39.jpeg

Enchantress to the left and General to the right.

image4.jpeg.b0d9930d1501c24da12e2505b42d92bd.jpeg

Bretonnian deployment.

image5.jpeg.90c42c82ea4392df5178fea037c66ef5.jpeg

Left flank.

image6.jpeg.fddeb50f57c2974f14834c683337fe59.jpeg

Right flank.

image7.jpeg.9dab3baeb7f8f458041396332f3a54d0.jpeg

Fyreslayers deployment.

image8.jpeg.d84d4dc1fdccb0e7d804c17a8f3134d8.jpeg

Moshpit battle in the centre.

image9.jpeg.fd20a51e24bd10d119443b8777c5c111.jpeg

More moshpit.

image10.jpeg.d1a0ccbd1aea5b14686259c7910ac32e.jpeg

Knights flanking the enemy.

image11.jpeg.044442c0588249b8ff04ce09af9bde9c.jpeg

Victory position at the end.

If you have tagged along all the way to down here then I assume that you are a true Bretonnia fan! I want to thank you for spending some time with me, and would like to encourage you to keep this thread going, whether it’s by asking questions, posting pictures, or discussing rumors about Bretonnia. My main objective, though, is to create a place to discuss ways of making our beloved faction as competitive as possible! What spell lore is the most useful? What Endless Spell has the most potential? Let’s figure it all out together!

Cheers!

PS. My thanks go out to Chris Tomlin who encouraged me to start this topic!

Edited by oscisi
Fixed some type-o's
  • Like 11
  • Thanks 1

Great stuff! I painted up a lot of knights just before the GHB2018 so need to get them out for a run again.  They do look awesome on oval bases though if you feel the urge ?

Dont forget you to string out your knights if you need to get through terrain, your Errants probably could have come through the graveyard in the centre.

• Thanks 1

16 minutes ago, stato said:

Great stuff! I painted up a lot of knights just before the GHB2018 so need to get them out for a run again.  They do look awesome on oval bases though if you feel the urge ?

Dont forget you to string out your knights if you need to get through terrain, your Errants probably could have come through the graveyard in the centre.

Hi stato,

Thank your for taking an interest in this thread :)

I would love to rebase all my models to round! Could you do me a favour and tell me the sizes you used for the various models? I noticed the Bretonnians were left out in GW's list of base conversions.

I do tend to "automatically" go for the rank and file layout jus because I still love the WFB aesthetic... but you're right! Loose formation is often the answer! In this particular case, though, I was taking a detour on purpose for two reasons: 1. To stay out of range of throwing axes and fast Magmadroths. 2. To not arrive at my opponent's objective before turn 3, because that would have given him time to react and possible kill enough of my knights to deny me the objective.

If you would like to, then do feel free to post some pictures of the models you painted! I want this to be a place for all Bretonnia related things!

Edited by oscisi

21 minutes ago, oscisi said:

Hi stato,

I would love to rebase all my models to round! Could you do me a favour and tell me the sizes you used for the various models? I noticed the Bretonnians were left out in GW's list of base conversions.

I do tend to "automatically" go for the rank and file layout jus because I still love the WFB aesthetic... but you're right! Loose formation is often the answer! In this particular case, though, I was taking a detour on purpose for two reasons: 1. To stay out of range of throwing axes and fast Magmadroths. 2. To not arrive at my opponent's objective before turn 3, because that would have given him time to react and possible kill enough of my knights to deny me the objective.

If you would like to, then do feel free to post some pictures of the models you painted! I want this to be a place for all Bretonnia related things!

No problem, I used 25mm round for Men-at-arms, 65mm oval for knights (standard knight size), and 90mm oval for the Peagasus. I dont have a Griffon but think 120mm oval would be sensible place to start.

Dont have many photos but this is the army as it was early 2017 at a local Tournament, i just had to set up for a pic on the castle they had!  and also how my Men-at-arms are progressing as I paint them up as Free Peoples from Tempest Eye

20065309_1918547655026492_2580474058617389056_n.jpg.63d09f07ee42ad49f27fa55092bbea2e.jpg

925974853_Tempest1.jpg.e0c20591f43621659424e2b0ed0d53b6.jpg

Edited by stato
  • Like 3

1 hour ago, oscisi said:

Hi stato,

Thanks for your report.

it was really great to see somebody usingthe good old French knights.

33 minutes ago, Skreech Verminking said:

Thanks for your report.

it was really great to see somebody usingthe good old French knights.

Thanks for reading! Hopefully the tactical depth will increase as I play more games as Bretonnia in the current meta. I especially look forward to testing how well I can do with magic.

1 hour ago, stato said:

No problem, I used 25mm round for Men-at-arms, 65mm oval for knights (standard knight size), and 90mm oval for the Peagasus. I dont have a Griffon but think 120mm oval would be sensible place to start.

Dont have many photos but this is the army as it was early 2017 at a local Tournament, i just had to set up for a pic on the castle they had!  and also how my Men-at-arms are progressing as I paint them up as Free Peoples from Tempest Eye

Thanks for the advice!

Those models look great! I love what you did with all the heroes' bases. My army is from the Realm of Beasts so I think I will go for a dry, cracked theme and some bones lying around. I might also throw in some green crystals that I have from an Underworld Empire basing kit.. We'll see. Please give us an update the next time you play a game. I'd like to hear how the brave knights fare against all the different factions.

4 hours ago, Kevlar1972 said:

Great models and nice write up!  I have a big brettonian army collecting dust at the moment. 

Just wondering, is there any reason you don't want to use them as mixed order or free people?  Most of your models seem to fit the available units.

I realize from the way I wrote my first post that I sound pretty competitive. In reality, though, I'm more of a narrative player. So the only reason I'm not experimenting with mixed lists is that I wanna stay a true Bretonnian army. I guess I could test adding up to 400 point of "Empire" allies to keep it thematic. That will be something to explore for the future. But I always want my army to "make sense" thematically, so I would have to come up with some backstory about each unit and what brought them there.

Rules-wise, I actually already use my army as an Allegiance: Order force since Bretonnia has no battletome and I'm therefore stuck with command traits and allegiance abilities from GHB's order section.

And thank you for the feedback on my models. Many of them were actually painted back when I started as a 10 or 11-year-old so they could probably do with a touch up. But I'm too nostalgic to change anything ?

Once you've got the dust off your models, do post some pictures!

4 hours ago, Verengard said:

You can find official base sizes in attached photo. Straigh from GW. King & Enchantress were Made to Order last time so check there for official base size. Probably 60mm & 75x46mm

Thank you so much! That's super helpful! And yes, from this pic it looks like you're right about the base sizes for the King and Echantress ?

271143007_KingandEnchantress.jpg.b2bb03ca4b185edbcf08b3e146991a93.jpg

Edited by oscisi
Added picture

Woo bretonnian players!

I'm kind of regretting not managing to pick up the enchantress and king :( but didn't have the money at the time. I've been considering using my brets as a blood knight force so might do them as a shyish themed force so they can aesthetically fit the look for both death and bretonnians.

Personally from my looks at the old ghb1 warscroll updates grail knights look nice. The lack of attacks on regular knights is a bit of a shame for their size and points but worth playing around with to test out what works well. Perhaps this is the motivation I need to get my horsey boys out ;)

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Lightbox said:

Woo bretonnian players!

I'm kind of regretting not managing to pick up the enchantress and king :( but didn't have the money at the time. I've been considering using my brets as a blood knight force so might do them as a shyish themed force so they can aesthetically fit the look for both death and bretonnians.

Personally from my looks at the old ghb1 warscroll updates grail knights look nice. The lack of attacks on regular knights is a bit of a shame for their size and points but worth playing around with to test out what works well. Perhaps this is the motivation I need to get my horsey boys out ;)

Hi, Lightbox!

I remember you from the discussions about Ironweld Arsonal. Good times :)

I'm glad you stopped by at this little corner of TGA! That sounds like an awesome project, especially since AoS Lore-wise that is what happened to the Bretonnians... they died. I'm choosing to believe that in a universe as rich and diverse as the Mortal Realms another civilization of feudalism, chivalry and oppressed peasants has arisen again!

As that project of yours progresses, be sure to keep us updated and if you attach a picture or two, even better! Regarding the Grail Knights: I have 10 of them that I run right next to my Echantress for that sweet sweet Saintly Guardians + Divine Favour synergy :D

Managed to totally wreck a full unit of Retributors on the charge and got a Lord Celestant on Stardrake down to a couple of wounds left before the enemy battlelines closed in on my brave spear head and took them out.

Edited by oscisi
Fixed some type-o's
  • Like 1

This thread is awesome, really exciting to read such a well done battle report! 

I'll admit I never played Bretonnia myself, but it warms my heart to see fans like the original poster who keep the love for the faction alive. I know someone who still plays Tomb Kings in AoS and he has as much fun with AoS as anyone I knkw. 

Wish I had some actual strategy advice... but rock on my Bretonnian dudes and dudettes, and good luck in all of your future battles! 

• Thanks 1

15 hours ago, oscisi said:

Hi, Lightbox!

I remember you from the discussions about Ironweld Arsonal. Good times :)

I'm glad you stopped by at this little corner of TGA! That sounds like an awesome project, especially since AoS Lore-wise that is what happened to the Bretonnians... they died. I'm choosing to believe that in a universe as rich and diverse as the Mortal Realms another civilization of feudalism, chivalry and oppressed peasants has arisen again!

As that project of yours progresses, be sure to keep us updated and if you attach a picture or two, even better! Regarding the Grail Knights: I have 10 of them that I run right next to my Echantress for that sweet sweet Saintly Guardians + Divine Favour synergy :D

Managed to totally wreck a full unit of Retributors on the charge and got a Lord Celestant on Stardrake down to a couple of wounds left before the enemy battlelines closed in on my brave spear head and took them out.

Heh that sounds awesome! Glad to see the brets giving the poster boys a run for their money ;)

I think my main thing now is to get more brets or convert some up, the shyish theme should make that a bit easier!

One thing I will ask... how useful do you find men at arms? I may have converted 10 of my 16 into zombies... (though zombie men at arms is still workable for my theme XD And don't worry I'll be sure to post up here when I get stuff made and painted.

15 hours ago, Lord_Skrolk said:

This thread is awesome, really exciting to read such a well done battle report! 

I'll admit I never played Bretonnia myself, but it warms my heart to see fans like the original poster who keep the love for the faction alive. I know someone who still plays Tomb Kings in AoS and he has as much fun with AoS as anyone I knkw. 

Wish I had some actual strategy advice... but rock on my Bretonnian dudes and dudettes, and good luck in all of your future battles! 

12 hours ago, Thiagoma said:

Well done keeping Bretonnia alive!

Thank you so much guys! You are also helping keeping Bretonnia alive!

38 minutes ago, Lightbox said:

One thing I will ask... how useful do you find men at arms? I may have converted 10 of my 16 into zombies... (though zombie men at arms is still workable for my theme XD And don't worry I'll be sure to post up here when I get stuff made and painted.

I don't find Men-at-Arms or Peasant Bowmen useful at all... I tend to include them just because I sometimes need as many bodies as possible to hold an objective. But they are never the ones doing the heavy lifting. At best they might cause a distraction or tie up a unit that I want my mobile Knights to stay clear of. Zombie Men-at-Arms sounds awesome! 

• Like 1

So a quick 1K list I've just put together

Leaders:
-Bretonnian Lord - Etheral Amulet, Legendary Fighter, Pegasus - 140
-Enchantress - 160

Troops:
-8 Knights of the realm - 220
-16 Men at arms - 120
-10 Grail Knights - 360

Wounds: 62

Not entirely sure it would work XD And I'll have my work cut out for me trying to find a way to convert grail knights (perhaps giving them a fancy paint job or something? Also not sure I have enough bret knight models left to build, oof. Possibly kitbash them from another model base? Or scour ebay.)

I'm kind of wanting to do a repanse de lyonesse style conversion at some point. An undead joan of arc for the army ;) Thinking also Reikenor the Grimhailer's undead Pegasus could provide me a lot of fun for a lord conversion :D Already got one regular lord on a Pegasus but hey why not 2?

I'm still upset Pegasus knights lost their pile in and attack twice ability, I struggle to see much point to them now for their cost alas :(

Okay so I've just seen some stormcast with bretonnian heads and they look great! I now know what I'm doing if I ever start a small stormcast band... (and if I ever get enough bret heads)

Edited by Lightbox
  • Like 1

5 hours ago, Lightbox said:

Not entirely sure it would work XD And I'll have my work cut out for me trying to find a way to convert grail knights (perhaps giving them a fancy paint job or something? Also not sure I have enough bret knight models left to build, oof. Possibly kitbash them from another model base? Or scour ebay.)

I'm kind of wanting to do a repanse de lyonesse style conversion at some point. An undead joan of arc for the army ;) Thinking also Reikenor the Grimhailer's undead Pegasus could provide me a lot of fun for a lord conversion :D Already got one regular lord on a Pegasus but hey why not 2?

I'm still upset Pegasus knights lost their pile in and attack twice ability, I struggle to see much point to them now for their cost alas :(

Okay so I've just seen some stormcast with bretonnian heads and they look great! I now know what I'm doing if I ever start a small stormcast band... (and if I ever get enough bret heads)

Nice! My spontaneous reaction is that I like that list and that it looks decent. It's a shame that the command ability of the Bretonnian Lord is so redundant. In most cases you're better off just using the standard command ability "Forward to Victory" (from the core rules) because then you can hold off on spending the command point until you actually need it. One potential problem with your list is that the natural target for your enemy on the first turns is going to be your Enchantress, and you have no ranged units yourself, to "screen off" enemies or protect her. One possible solution could be to get rid of the Knights of the Realm and the Bretonnian Lord (saving 360 points) and then adding a unit of Knights Errant (200 points) and another Enchantress (160 points). The Fey Enchantress used to be a named character that you could only take one of, but the Enchantress has no such limitation. This would also allow you 4 casts of magic per turn so it assumes that your opponent is fine with you using a lore of magic from the Malign Sorcery expansion.

If you go for the double Enchantress option then I would give one of them Inspiring and keep her around whenever the poor Men-at-Arms get into battle (horrible save and horrible bravery). The Ethereal Amulet is still a good option for a Shyish artifact. That way your enemy might snipe one of your Wizards but definitely not both!

That being said, I still do love your idea of making an undead Bretonnian force so it might be worth keeping the Bretonnian Lord just to make that awesome Reikenor the Grimhailer-conversion. If you're sticking with that theme then you could consider converting Black Knights (looks very dead) or Blood Knights (for a more "alive" look). The Grail Knight models are so old, hard to find, expensive and honestly not the most beautiful anyway.

Here's a picture I really like, made by "Kookri" on DeviantArt, that catches that Mousillon undeath feel! http://kookriart.tumblr.com/post/165555105543/a-toast-to-your-health-one-of-my-favorite

2119327532_UndeadBretonnia.png.e08652888e10883e7851419e6705663d.png

Stormcast with Bretonnian heads sound fun! I have some stuff lying around so I might try that for a Skirmish warband :) 

Edit: Forgot to say - yeah, I unfortunately have to agree about the Pegasus Knights. Not the best unit out there..

Edited by oscisi
  • Like 1

57 minutes ago, oscisi said:

Nice! My spontaneous reaction is that I like that list and that it looks decent. It's a shame that the command ability of the Bretonnian Lord is so redundant. In most cases you're better off just using the standard command ability "Forward to Victory" (from the core rules) because then you can hold off on spending the command point until you actually need it. One potential problem with your list is that the natural target for your enemy on the first turns is going to be your Enchantress, and you have no ranged units yourself, to "screen off" enemies or protect her. One possible solution could be to get rid of the Knights of the Realm and the Bretonnian Lord (saving 360 points) and then adding a unit of Knights Errant (200 points) and another Enchantress (160 points). The Fey Enchantress used to be a named character that you could only take one of, but the Enchantress has no such limitation. This would also allow you 4 casts of magic per turn so it assumes that your opponent is fine with you using a lore of magic from the Malign Sorcery expansion.

If you go for the double Enchantress option then I would give one of them Inspiring and keep her around whenever the poor Men-at-Arms get into battle (horrible save and horrible bravery). The Ethereal Amulet is still a good option for a Shyish artifact. That way your enemy might snipe one of your Wizards but definitely not both!

That being said, I still do love your idea of making an undead Bretonnian force so it might be worth keeping the Bretonnian Lord just to make that awesome Reikenor the Grimhailer-conversion. If you're sticking with that theme then you could consider converting Black Knights (looks very dead) or Blood Knights (for a more "alive" look). The Grail Knight models are so old, hard to find, expensive and honestly not the most beautiful anyway.

Here's a picture I really like, made by "Kookri" on DeviantArt, that catches that Mousillon undeath feel! http://kookriart.tumblr.com/post/165555105543/a-toast-to-your-health-one-of-my-favorite

2119327532_UndeadBretonnia.png.e08652888e10883e7851419e6705663d.png

Stormcast with Bretonnian heads sound fun! I have some stuff lying around so I might try that for a Skirmish warband :) 

Edit: Forgot to say - yeah, I unfortunately have to agree about the Pegasus Knights. Not the best unit out there..

Ooh that's really cool.

As for knights errant I technically only have knights of the realm but they're the super old ones with like mega thin lances so if I wanted to field with realm I could try and get more modern ones or something. On their own it's fine. Alas Errants also don't feel worth the 200 points :( though i suppose saving the 20 points can be useful, though they do prefer to have a damsel.

Grail knights I planned to convert though finding unbuilt 'modern' brets is a tad hard and I only have enough for maybe 5? Also if I don't go lord reikenors pegasus can still work for the sacred protector, he's ghostly and can fly. I've always liked the lord's though, good save and damage output for a 5 wound model. And super mobile with the peg.

I was thinking for grail knights doing them on skele horses to make the look different. Might need to find some different riders though, bit stuck on that one if I can't find lots of bret bits. Double enchantress is nice though, she's a brilliant spellcaster for 160 points provided you have the spell lores.

3 hours ago, Lightbox said:

Ooh that's really cool.

As for knights errant I technically only have knights of the realm but they're the super old ones with like mega thin lances so if I wanted to field with realm I could try and get more modern ones or something. On their own it's fine. Alas Errants also don't feel worth the 200 points :( though i suppose saving the 20 points can be useful, though they do prefer to have a damsel.

Grail knights I planned to convert though finding unbuilt 'modern' brets is a tad hard and I only have enough for maybe 5? Also if I don't go lord reikenors pegasus can still work for the sacred protector, he's ghostly and can fly. I've always liked the lord's though, good save and damage output for a 5 wound model. And super mobile with the peg.

I was thinking for grail knights doing them on skele horses to make the look different. Might need to find some different riders though, bit stuck on that one if I can't find lots of bret bits. Double enchantress is nice though, she's a brilliant spellcaster for 160 points provided you have the spell lores.

Depending on how much you want to invest in converting, you have a ton of options :)

Since the Sacred Protector doesn’t have any wings you could also experiment with this old model: https://www.games-workshop.com/en-EU/Count-Mannfred

Personally I wouldn’t dare bringing 200 points that only has a 50 percent chance to appear each battleround. 

Another fun model to try to convert would be to see if it’s possible to make Mounted Yeomen out of Hexwraiths. I don’t know. They aren’t that good - I just want them because I don’t have them yet!

Edit: and hey, while you’re at it, why not make 11 Battle Pilgrims and a Grail Reliquae out of this? https://www.games-workshop.com/en-EU/Deathrattle-Barrow-Lords

They aren’t great either but at 160 points for 12 models with 4+ to hit, 3+ to wound they are at least better than the Mounted Yeomen...

Edited by oscisi
Had some more far-fetched ideas
  • Like 1

4 hours ago, oscisi said:

Depending on how much you want to invest in converting, you have a ton of options :)

Since the Sacred Protector doesn’t have any wings you could also experiment with this old model: https://www.games-workshop.com/en-EU/Count-Mannfred

Personally I wouldn’t dare bringing 200 points that only has a 50 percent chance to appear each battleround. 

Another fun model to try to convert would be to see if it’s possible to make Mounted Yeomen out of Hexwraiths. I don’t know. They aren’t that good - I just want them because I don’t have them yet!

Edit: and hey, while you’re at it, why not make 11 Battle Pilgrims and a Grail Reliquae out of this? https://www.games-workshop.com/en-EU/Deathrattle-Barrow-Lords

They aren’t great either but at 160 points for 12 models with 4+ to hit, 3+ to wound they are at least better than the Mounted Yeomen...

Skeletal battle pilgrims sounds like an odd idea XD A consideration though!

I'd ideally like to keep conversions fairly cheap, especially as buying many boxes will leave me with lots of random stuff I may be unable to use. But regardless I do need some idea for grail knights ? something to set them apart from common rabble...

I'll have a think about it and look through the different horsemen options. Could do them as a unit of mounted vampires possibly, though I'd like to keep the army still looking bretonnian, just with some shyishian themes. Horses I can use black knight ones to help set them apart. I'll have a proper look and think soon. Meanwhile I'll try and get some stuff built and painted :D looking forward to this!

Also thinking a coven throne vampire on an undead unicorn might make a cracking enchantress!

• Like 1

Myself, I just differentiated the Grail Knights by using more modern models and painting grails all over their shields. 

Using the Coven Throne like that sounds aswesome! I’m sure you could even make two enchantresses or an enchantress and a damsel our of that kit!

• Like 1

7 hours ago, JackStreicher said:

Well it would be best if one  could get the 3D models of Total War, solidify them and 3D-print them. I am currently pretty much fed up with my Brets since they look plainly dated...too dated

Yeah I love Bretonnia in Total War! But if you do want to play them, allow me to give two suggestions: either take the Stormcast Vanguard and convert, here’s a pic for inspiration (although I’m not the artist)

DAF4CA15-6343-46F3-A3C3-7C76058B9466.png.973b5a8033de813c93d87e91a03950ed.png

OR, you could use different models as proxies, for example the ones from: https://fireforge-games.com/

I actually got that idea from this artist:

E16111FF-729C-4DEB-8D5A-1497F6CA8E3E.png.d35e651218d0c14e3c1a69286ae32249.png

May the blessings of the Lady be upon you ;)