AoS 2 - Bretonnia Discussion

oscisi

6 hours ago, ilaxu 'Minute' said:

Hmmm, this might be an option. Have you done anything modelling wise to display the difference?

If I were to do this then I think I'd double base them, having a pair of knights represent one of the Demigryph Knights for the sake of clarity. 

Hide contents

Conceptual Heavy Hitters List

Order: Hammerhal: Ulgu

King on Hippogryph 400
-General
-Legendary Fighter
-Sword of Judgement

Enchantress 160

Archmage on Aelven Steed 100

10 x Freeguild Archers 100

3 x Demigryph Knights with Lances 130

10 x Grail Knights 360

10 x Grail Knights 360

20 grail knights for the big oof!

As someone who loves demigryph knights this looks like a list I'd be interested in trying out! Do let us know whether you get to test it out Ilaxu.

On ‎6‎/‎15‎/‎2019 at 1:35 PM, ilaxu 'Minute' said:

On an entirely different note, is anyone thinking about trying out the contrast paints for Bretonnians? I'm considering giving it a shot.

I'm considering it since I've got the black contrast and some reds... though the real question is do I try and get some orange and do proper Mousillon scheme or go with my original idea of black and red. (Either way my brets will also make fine blood knight stand-ins)

32 minutes ago, Lightbox said:

20 grail knights for the big oof!
As someone who loves demigryph knights this looks like a list I'd be interested in trying out! Do let us know whether you get to test it out Ilaxu.

I'm considering it since I've got the black contrast and some reds... though the real question is do I try and get some orange and do proper Mousillon scheme or go with my original idea of black and red. (Either way my brets will also make fine blood knight stand-ins)

If I end up trialling that monstrosity of a list then I think it's either going to be godly or it will crumble and die in a heartbeat.

As for paints, be original and do your planned Black and Red scheme. You already have the supplies after all and it'll look good either way.

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, Fullbret said:

From the leaks did we get anything from grand alliance order?

They aren’t actually leaks. It’s information from youtubers who got pre release versions of the GHB and made videos reading out the new information. 

9 hours ago, ilaxu 'Minute' said:

Hmmm, this might be an option. Have you done anything modelling wise to display the difference?

If I were to do this then I think I'd double base them, having a pair of knights represent one of the Demigryph Knights for the sake of clarity. 

Reveal hidden contents

Conceptual Heavy Hitters List

Order: Hammerhal: Ulgu

King on Hippogryph 400
-General
-Legendary Fighter
-Sword of Judgement

Enchantress 160

Archmage on Aelven Steed 100

10 x Grail Knights 360

10 x Grail Knights 360

I think there is no reason to distinguish them from Knights of the Realm as there are no Knights of the Realm in the list to confuse.

I analyzed your army list:

Spoiler

Allegiance: Hammerhal
Mortal Realm: Ulgu

Leaders
King on Hippogryph (400)
- General
- Trait: Legendary Fighter
- Artefact: Sword of Judgement 
[average damage: 9.77 (10.51 charge, 19.00 Monster/Hero, 23.76 charge + Monster/Hero), effective wounds: 40.95]
Enchantress (160)
[average damage: 1.32, effective wounds: 10.50]
Archmage (100)
[average damage: N/A, effective wounds: 6.60]

Battleline
10 x Freeguild Archers (100)
[average damage: 1.59, effective wounds: 12.60]

Units
10 x Grail Knights (360)
[average damage: 9.68 (21.73 charge, 15.60 Daemon/Death, 30.37 charge + Daemon/Death), effective wounds: 43.68]
10 x Grail Knights (360)
[average damage: 9.68 (21.73 charge, 15.60 Daemon/Death, 30.37 charge + Daemon/Death), effective wounds: 43.68]
3 x Demigryph Knights (130)
- Lance and Sword
[average damage: 3.38 (4.83 charge), effective wounds: 30.24]
- Lance and Sword
[average damage: 3.38 (4.83 charge), effective wounds: 30.24]

Total: 1940 / 2000
Extra Command Points: 1
Allies: 0 / 400
Wounds: 114

Total average damage: 44.32 (73.17 charge)
Total effective wounds: 243.68

Overall army rating: 260.3

I created an overall army rating calculated from average damage and effective wounds to compare army lists. Your list scored a 260.3 rating.
As you said they will deal a lot of damage, but they are not very durable (only 243.68 effective wounds).

I created another alternate list, actually replacing the Grail Knights with Blood Knight mercenaries:

Spoiler

Leaders
King on Hippogryph (400)
- General
- Trait: Master of Defense
[average damage: 9.03 (9.77 charge, 16.31 Monster/Hero, 21.13 charge + Monster/Hero), effective wounds: 61.43]
Enchantress (160)
Damsel (100)
[average damage: N/A, effective wounds: 6.30]
Archmage (100)
Freeguild General (100)
- Shield & Lance
[average damage: 1.58 (2.25 charge), effective wounds: 15.75]

Battleline
10 x Freeguild Guard (80)
- Swords and Shields
[average damage: 1.38, effective wounds: 25.20]
- Swords and Shields
- Swords and Shields

Units
5 x Blood Knights (200)
- Mercenaries
[average damage: 5.08 (9.75 charge), effective wounds: 47.25]
5 x Blood Knights (200)
- Mercenaries
[average damage: 5.08 (9.75 charge), effective wounds: 47.25]
- Lance and Sword
[average damage: 6.22 (4.83 charge), effective wounds: 30.24]
- Lance and Sword
- Lance and Sword

Total: 1890 / 2000
Extra Command Points: 2
Allies: 400 / 400
Wounds: 126

Total average damage: 49.98 (59.42 charge)
Total effective wounds: 361.40

Overall army rating: 308.3

The list deals less damage than yours, but is much more durable (361.40 effective wounds).

Edited by Duke of Gisoreux
fixed some numbers

7 minutes ago, Duke of Gisoreux said:

Hide contents

Leaders
King on Hippogryph (400)
- General
[average damage: 9.03 (9.77 charge, 16.31 Monster/Hero, 21.13 charge + Monster/Hero), effective wounds: 61.43]
Enchantress (160)
Damsel (100)
[average damage: N/A, effective wounds: 6.30]
Archmage (100)
Freeguild General (100)
- Shield & Lance
[average damage: 1.58 (2.25 charge), effective wounds: 15.75]

Battleline
- Swords and Shields
- Swords and Shields
- Swords and Shields

Units
5 x Blood Knights (200)
- Mercenaries
[average damage: 5.08 (9.75 charge), effective wounds: 70.88]
5 x Blood Knights (200)
- Mercenaries
[average damage: 5.08 (9.75 charge), effective wounds: 70.88]
- Lance and Sword
- Lance and Sword
- Lance and Sword

Total: 1890 / 2000
Allies: 400 / 400
Wounds: 126

Total average damage: 49.98 (59.42 charge)
Total effective wounds: 408.65

Overall army rating: 324.3

The list deals less damage than yours, but is much more durable (408.65 effective wounds).

I don't think it's a legal list though is it? My understanding was the the Blood Knight Mercenaries required a Blood Knight Unit + a Vampire Lord on Nightmare. Or is that only optional?

Also at that point, I think the need for an Enchantress and Damsel basically goes away as the only model they can buff is the King, who can frankly manage without a pair of dedicated casters following him around. At the least the Enchantress is surplus to requirements as the King doesn't need the +1 to hit, she doesn't give him re-rolls and she doesn't have a passive heal for him either. 

-----------------------------------------------------------

On a different note, this has raised a bit of a question. What do people prefer from a 'Bretonnian' army. The Glass Cannon style of hit hard hit fast that pure Bretonnian lists tend to emphasise, or the hybrid lists that supplement the sheer destructive power of the Bretonnians on the charge with some tanky line holders such as the Demigryph Knights, Blood Knights or even massed Skeleton blobs.

------------------------------------------------------------

Now for a lore question, or rather a series of them. We now have a host of 8 (I've heard the number 10 mentioned though so perhaps more???) mercenary warbands available for players to add to their faction. With this in mind, which of them do you think would feasibly end up fighting alongside a Bretonnian Warband and why? For clarities sake here is the list:
Sons of the Lichemaster: Necromancer + Skeletons & Zombies.
Grugg Brothers: Up to 3 Giants.
Order of the Blood Drenched Rose: Vampire Lord + Blood Knights
Nimyard's Rough Riders: Pistoliers + Freeguild General & Outriders.
The Blacksmoke Battery: 1-3 Cannons + a Gyrocopter & Master Engineer.
Skroug's Managerie: Giant + Chaos Spawn
Rampagers: 1-3 Maurader Units + Chieftan or WarQueen.
The Gutstuffers: Ogre Firebelly + 1-3 Ogre Maneaters Units.

For my own two cents, I'll throw in that Sons of the Lichemaster & Order of the Blood Drenched Rose both make a lot of sense when considering old Mousillon. 

10 hours ago, ilaxu 'Minute' said:

I don't think it's a legal list though is it? My understanding was the the Blood Knight Mercenaries required a Blood Knight Unit + a Vampire Lord on Nightmare. Or is that only optional?

Order of the Blood-drenched Rose consists of 1-3 units of Blood Knights and 0-1 Vampire Lord on Nightmare, so the Vampire Lord is optional.

43 minutes ago, ilaxu 'Minute' said:

Also at that point, I think the need for an Enchantress and Damsel basically goes away as the only model they can buff is the King, who can frankly manage without a pair of dedicated casters following him around. At the least the Enchantress is surplus to requirements as the King doesn't need the +1 to hit, she doesn't give him re-rolls and she doesn't have a passive heal for him either. 

I don't think so. As I said before all their spells would be cast on him. So the only thing that becomes useless would be the reroll for Grail Knights. The King needs the +1 to hit from the Enchantress. It's the main reason to take her actually. It's badly needed to trigger the effect of his Sword of Judgement.

Edit: Just created another list:

Spoiler

Leaders
King on Hippogryph (400)
- General
[average damage: 9.03 (9.77 charge, 16.31 Monster/Hero, 21.13 charge + Monster/Hero), effective wounds: 58.50]
Enchantress (160)
[average damage: 1.32, effective wounds: 10.00]
Damsel (100)
[average damage: N/A, effective wounds: 6.00]

Battleline
- Swords and Shields
[average damage: 1.38, effective wounds: 24.00]
- Swords and Shields
- Swords and Shields

Units
5 x Blood Knights (200)
- Mercenaries
[average damage: 5.08 (9.75 charge), effective wounds: 45.00]
5 x Blood Knights (200)
- Mercenaries
[average damage: 5.08 (9.75 charge), effective wounds: 45.00]
10 x Grail Knights (360)
[average damage: 9.68 (21.73 charge, 15.60 Daemon/Death, 30.37 charge + Daemon/Death), effective wounds: 41.60]
5 x Dragon Blades (120)
[average damage: 3.08 (6.14 charge), effective wounds: 24.00]
5 x Dragon Blades (120)
[average damage: 3.08 (6.14 charge), effective wounds: 24.00]

Total: 1900 / 2000
Allies/Mercenaries: 400 / 400
Wounds: 120

Total average damage: 46.76 (78.40 charge)
Total effective wounds: 326.10

Overall army rating: 310.9

Edited by Duke of Gisoreux
  • Thanks 1

Hello, first time poster but I have been looking at the Free Cities rules for Hammerhal for my Bretonnians.  If we have to run allegiance Order anyway is there a reason not to include this free cities in our rules?  I mean it just adds bravery and sometimes battleshock bonuses but is there a reason we can't run this allegiance?  Only requirement is that you can't have Seraphon in your list.  

I do not see any rules that say you cannot still come from another realm and take that realms artefact.  Just wondering what everyone thinks about that.

4 hours ago, Sir Valiant de Quenelles said:

Finally, with the book on my hand I don't see any change for our units points, unluckily.

Interesting units that could potentially help? Demigryphs are 130 now

Can you please confirm the rules for matched play mercenaries? How many units of your main force do you need to have for each unit of mercs you want to include?

5 hours ago, oscisi said:

Can you please confirm the rules for matched play mercenaries? How many units of your main force do you need to have for each unit of mercs you want to include?

Sure! (Page 46.)

- One army can only hire one Mercenary Company.

- If a Company is hired by your army, 1 of 4 of your units could  be one of the units of the company. (In case of the Bloodknights, for instance, you can have a Knights of the Realm unit, a Men at arms unit, a bowmen unit and then you can choose 1 Vampire Lord or 1 unit (3 max) of Blood Knights).  This units from the mercenary companies have the trait <Mercenary>

-This units can't be included on your allegiance, and any mercenary character couldn't be the general of the army.

- If you use them, ONLY in your first turn you don't get your command point.

- Any unit summoned by a Mercenary unit gets the Mercenary trait.

- Mercenaries are not battlelines, but they units with traits "Leader" "Behemoth" and "Artilery" counts as that for the limitations of the armies.

Sorry for my level of english, I made a direct translation from spanish! Hope it helps you all!

Edited by Sir Valiant de Quenelles
  • Thanks 2

On 6/18/2019 at 5:39 PM, chrishill4000 said:

Hello, first time poster but I have been looking at the Free Cities rules for Hammerhal for my Bretonnians.  If we have to run allegiance Order anyway is there a reason not to include this free cities in our rules?  I mean it just adds bravery and sometimes battleshock bonuses but is there a reason we can't run this allegiance?  Only requirement is that you can't have Seraphon in your list.  

I do not see any rules that say you cannot still come from another realm and take that realms artefact.  Just wondering what everyone thinks about that.

Hi! Welcome to the Bretonnia fan club :)

The only reason I don’t use the Firestorm rules is that in my local competitive scene it’s not part of any of the rules packs. We focus on Malign Sorcery stuff instead. But since I always bring the King, and use an artifact that keeps him alive rather than buffing his attacks, battleshock is actually not that much of a problem to me. 

Do you have any Knights painted up? I always love to see Bretonnia collections being displayed!

16 minutes ago, Sir Valiant de Quenelles said:

Sure! (Page 46.)

- One army can only hire one Mercenary Company.

- If a Company is hired by your army, 1 of 4 of your units could  be one of the units of the company. (In case of the Bloodknights, for instance, you can have a Knights of the Realm unit, a Men at arms unit, a bowmen unit and then you can choose 1 Vampire Lord or 1 unit (3 max) of Blood Knights).  This units from the mercenary companies have the trait <Mercenary>

-This units can't be included on your allegiance, and any mercenary character couldn't be the general of the army.

- If you use them, ONLY in your first turn you don't get your command point.

- Any unit summoned by a Mercenary unit gets the Mercenary trait.

- Mercenaries are not battlelines, but they units with traits "Leader" "Behemoth" and "Artilery" counts as that for the limitations of the armies.

Sorry for my level of english, I made a direct translation from spanish! Hope it helps you all!

Thanks for sharing! So I guess it will be quite hard to include 4 mercenary units in your army. Unless someone is planning to do a men-at-arms horde army (not recommended!! :P)

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

3 hours ago, oscisi said:

Thanks for sharing! So I guess it will be quite hard to include 4 mercenary units in your army. Unless someone is planning to do a men-at-arms horde army (not recommended!! :P)

Freeguild Infantry Horde + Bretonnian Cavalry + Mercenary Blob?

In other news I've sent off my first lot of models with the partner for painting. I hope she does a good job with them. So far there are 3 Bretonnian Knights, 1 Pegasus Knight, 1 Converted Empire Knight and 2 Peasant Banner Bearers on their way to pretty coloured status.

Partner is going to trial out something a bit different for the Pegasus wings as well. She wants to see if she can get a slight hint of a rainbow hue in the end of the feathers for the wing.

13 hours ago, Sir Valiant de Quenelles said:

Demigryph Knights are definitely a popular choice as they considerably cheaper and more cost effective than the basic Bretonnian cavalry units. Having one or two units of them in a list is by no means a bad thing.

Edited by ilaxu 'Minute'
Adding Information

4 hours ago, ilaxu 'Minute' said:

That's a great model and a creative idea!
Those models are Gryphounds aren't they?

Thank you!

After a long time thinking how to convert demigryph knights into something that fits better on my army, I used the concept of medieval hunting with dogs. But in this case, the hounds are the gryphounds

• Like 2

On 6/19/2019 at 10:28 AM, Sir Valiant de Quenelles said:

An interesting choice are Dragon Blades from Order Draconis. Their points just dropped from 140 to 120 (for a unit of 5) in GHB 2019.

They have equal or better stats than our Knights of the Realm. Their melee attack profiles are the same except that they have +1 attack compared to Knights of the Realm. They always reroll 1s on the save and even reroll 1s and 2s against shooting attacks. Dragon Blades even have +2 Move and +1 Bravery.

Their points in GHB 2019 are 120 for a unit of 5, so they cost 24 points per model. Our Knights of the Realm still cost 220 for a unit of 8, so they cost 27.5 points per model. So you get a unit that is superior or equal in all stats and cheaper in points.

Of course one could say: "Dragon Blades? But they are Aelves." Of course they are. They have the AELF keyword, but in my opinion you could easily use your Knights of the Realm models 1:1 for them . Concerning the AELF keyword you could state that they have aelven steeds which is the reason that they are faster. In the end they are just mounted knights you could easily add to your Bretonnian force and don't neccessarily need to get new models for them.

Hello

Old Duke here. I ran a Royal Air Force list RAF at the end of 8th. With the new book coming out my FLGS owner said I should look into AoS. Any love given to Bret's? I haven't really looked/watched any of the YouTube reviews as they are all really long.

Are Bret's even viable? What are the "must pick units?"

3 hours ago, Duke of Gisoreux said:

An interesting choice are Dragon Blades from Order Draconis. Their points just dropped from 140 to 120 (for a unit of 5) in GHB 2019.

They have equal or better stats than our Knights of the Realm. Their melee attack profiles are the same except that they have +1 attack compared to Knights of the Realm. They always reroll 1s on the save and even reroll 1s and 2s against shooting attacks. Dragon Blades even have +2 Move and +1 Bravery.

Their points in GHB 2019 are 120 for a unit of 5, so they cost 24 points per model. Our Knights of the Realm still cost 220 for a unit of 8, so they cost 27.5 points per model. So you get a unit that is superior or equal in all stats and cheaper in points.

Of course one could say: "Dragon Blades? But they are Aelves." Of course they are. They have the AELF keyword, but in my opinion you could easily use your Knights of the Realm models 1:1 for them . Concerning the AELF keyword you could state that they have aelven steeds which is the reason that they are faster. In the end they are just mounted knights you could easily add to your Bretonnian force and don't neccessarily need to get new models for them.

Cool insight. It’s going to be interesting to follow the discussions  springing up from the changes in the GHB. To answer the question posed by @ilaxu 'Minute', however, I will actually not be running any of these mixed lists for the simple reason that I’m a die hard fan and a bit obsessive about consistency. But please note that this is my personal preference and that I have nothing against people with other views on it. 

18 minutes ago, Dynas said:

Hello

Old Duke here. I ran a Royal Air Force list RAF at the end of 8th. With the new book coming out my FLGS owner said I should look into AoS. Any love given to Bret's? I haven't really looked/watched any of the YouTube reviews as they are all really long.

Hi there! Welcome to the royal court! The King on Hippogryph and the Damsel on Pegasus are two winged units that are decent, although the King is overpriced at 400 points. There’s not much lore but as @Bosmer Nightblade pointed out, they are at least mentioned in the book The Red Feast. 

I guess Brets could be viable if it’s acceptable to you to consider it a success going 2-1 or 3-2 in a tournament. The only must pick units are the Enchantress (extremely good value for points wizard) and the Grail Knights which have a nice synergy with her and bring rend to an army that otherwise excels in mobility but lacks punch. 

Would love to see some pics of your good old goon squad if you still have any? :)

5 hours ago, oscisi said:

To answer the question posed by @ilaxu 'Minute', however, I will actually not be running any of these mixed lists for the simple reason that I’m a die hard fan and a bit obsessive about consistency. But please note that this is my personal preference and that I have nothing against people with other views on it. 

Most likely I will stick with the puritan lists myself but I at least want to experiment with them and see how they play out. The only reason I'm really considering it is because of how overpriced the Peasants are considering their atrocious performance at their price points, especially when compared to their Freeguild counterparts..

5 hours ago, Dynas said:

Hello

The Lady welcomes you with open arms.

Sadly the Bretonnians have been at rather the short end of the stick for AoS but we aren't completely out of the running yet. As previously mentioned, the King on Hippogryph is a massive Hero/Monster killer and the Enchantress/Grail Knights are two of the nastiest units at your disposal when working together. 

When it comes to modern Bretonnian lists there are a few factors to consider. 
Synergy: Most of the Knights (except Pegasus Knights) can gain re-rolls when a certain condition is met. As such it is almost always advisable to build your list with these in mind. Most of the Heroes also have buffs they grant to nearby units.
Spellcasting: Bretonnian armies almost REQUIRE you to have spell casters. The more buff spells you can put onto your Knights, the more enemies you can kill. and the longer you'll last.
Peasants: You'll mostly want to avoid them. Bowmen are so heavily overpriced that they may as well be worthless. Grail Pilgrims are okay but small numbers doesn't do them any favours. Men-At-Arms are probably the most useful as a tar pit unit but you need the King near them. Trebuchets are good models but again, overpriced so don't rely on them.
Allies: Getting extra buff applying spellcasters and some cheap but effective infantry isn't a bad idea.

• Thanks 1

5 hours ago, ilaxu 'Minute' said:

Allies: Getting extra buff applying spellcasters and some cheap but effective infantry isn't a bad idea.

Could you please provide some examples of both cases?

I had on mind the way to convert foot knights (Or like in Total War Warhammer: Foot Squires) and it oculd be interesting know best units to do it.

2 hours ago, Sir Valiant de Quenelles said:

Could you please provide some examples of both cases?

I had on mind the way to convert foot knights (Or like in Total War Warhammer: Foot Squires) and it could be interesting know best units to do it.

Some common options:

Spellcasters:
Archmage on Horse (Eldritch Council) - 18" Aura of 6+ Ignore Wounds
Amber Battlemage (Collegiate Arcanum) - +1 to Wound Rolls

Infantry:
Freeguild Guards (Freeguild) - Men-At-Arms Replacement
Freeguild Archers (Freeguild) - Peasant Bowmen Replacement
Freeguild Greatswords (Freeguild) - Foot Squires (Fictional)

Others:
Demigryph Knights (Freeguild) - Alternative Heavy Cavalry
Freeguild General (Freeguild) - Buffing Freeguild Units.

• Thanks 1

So I've been thinking about how I want to theme my army visually recently and that's inspired me to go and have a read over the lore behind Bretonnia a bit. And after looking through, honestly I still have to say I'm heavily drawn towards Mousillon. 

But what I wanted to ask is what do others find most interesting about Fair Bretonnia? What parts of the lore appeal to you most, be they concepts, characters or events.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, ilaxu 'Minute' said:

So I've been thinking about how I want to theme my army visually recently and that's inspired me to go and have a read over the lore behind Bretonnia a bit. And after looking through, honestly I still have to say I'm heavily drawn towards Mousillon. 

But what I wanted to ask is what do others find most interesting about Fair Bretonnia? What parts of the lore appeal to you most, be they concepts, characters or events.

I also love the visual look of Mousillon and I happen to have a screensaver on my phone reflecting this (by "Kookri" on DeviantArt, that catches that Mousillon undeath feel! http://kookriart.tumblr.com/post/165555105543/a-toast-to-your-health-one-of-my-favorite)

E5FBD8E9-FC11-45EA-AC0E-CA5160FB89B0.jpeg.8dd7a8efb52719975739e643f39f62a7.jpeg

But when it comes to themes for an army, I actually prefer to build it around the Enchantress. The 6th Edition Enchantress has some cool forest-y almost elvish features about her, and I think it would be cool to make an army hailing from Carcassonne and being allied with the elves, adding branches and leaves on the bases and elvish iconography on the models. But that’s just my two cents :)

Edited by oscisi
Added image credit