AoS 2 - Bretonnia Discussion

oscisi

6 hours ago, Drakilian said:

So I have been spending the past week at Miniwargaming. Got in so far... oh... 4 games with Bretonnia. Got another week running.

Bretonnia got a single win this. I have only lost due to double turns thus far.

When the battlereports come out I will let you know. In three of my reports you will see a very important tactic I use with my 16 man at arms. And why I don't care about going first.

I got my revenge win against Steves beast of chaos. Though he failed three 5 inch charges. But still.

For now here is a picture from my battle with Vito today of the Bretonnian charge.

20190524_134203.jpg

I can’t wait to see that at miniwargaming😍😍

3 hours ago, Skreech Verminking said:

I can’t wait to see that at miniwargaming😍😍

@Drakilian my favorite comment on one of your previous miniwargaming videos went something like his: “I’m a simple man. I see a Bretonnia battle report, I click”

I couldn’t agree more with that statement :D

97EB9A64-B4F2-48C8-9AC9-4CB2FC9AA348.jpeg

Edited by oscisi
Took a screenshot of the original comment. I guess my memory was CLOSE ENOUGH...

So far to give a basic gist of the games I have played so far in the past 4 days with MWG. I will only tell you about the Bretonnian ones. While Imperial Knights are space Bretonnians, I feel that is meant for a different forum. 😁

The list I use in all my battle reports is the same as my adepticon list with me changing my command trait:

King on Hippogryph (400pts) -  General, Sword of Judgement, and Strategic Genius

Enchantress (160pts)

Damsel (100pts) - On a Pegasus

Archmage (100pts) - On a Horse

Battlemage (120pts) - Amber

Man-at-arms x16 (120pts) - Full command

Knight Errants x8 (200pts) - Full command

Knights of the Realm x16 (440pts) - Full command

Grail Knights x10 (360pts) - Full command

Game 1 - vrs Matt. He had a combination of Spider Clan and Trogs. I did what I could. He got first turn and bogged down my KotR with spiders with a damn good run and charge. Luckily he didnt get his spell off to make the poison deadilier. I used the man at arms to make sure he couldnt put a big spider in my backlines. Or use hand of gork to teleport behind me. In the end though due to me giving him first turn and me being unable to get a double turn. Matt won by objective by turn 4. I could of possibly tabled him but not likely.

Game 2 - vrs Matt and a full Trog army. Here I used my man-at-arms tactic which I will describe later. It worked for me. However... Matt got the double turn Turn 2... I tried to recover by sending the King into his backlines. I felt the king (all buffed up) could survive not going first in combat. So I did my Grail knights first so they could kill some trogs to lessen the blow on them. The swamp trogs then proceeded to spike dice on my king. And I decided to roll poorly. With the kings death I conceded as Battleshock, Pinned away from objectives, and no longer having the kings fighting strength meant I was going to lose.

Game 3 - vrs Steve and his beast of chaos. I got 1st turn again... huzzah... however I employed my man at arms tactic again. This time it worked in my favor. Though he did fail 3, 5" charges. My counter charges pushed through. By the end of turn 3, my KotR was in his backline, killed his sacrificial goats and goat leader. He did move in his goat lord to fight my king, and because the spawn had earlier did 1 damage. The goat lord felled the king. However with his moral victory, Steve conceeded as it was 3 bulls, 1 goat lord, 1 very wounded big bull against a nearly full fighting strength bretonnia force at the end of turn 3.

Game 4 - vrs Vito and his Hedonites of Slaanesh. He gave me first turn. I mossied forward just out of charge range and with my MaA tactic. He moved barely forward to try and goad me in.... but he moved to far forward and did not get the double turn. So he was just withing charging distance. I managed to get everyone but the king into the fight. Almost all his heros dissapear in the bretonnian charge. As he fails to get his Locus of Diversons off on the Grail Knights.... so his kos dissapeared before the horses could attack. All in all I lost 3 horses. He lost 12 daemonettes, 1 kos, infernal inrapturess, and the contorted epitome. We went abother round of fighting. Man At Arms died to the second KoS. And... and... Vito got a double turn. With his path cleared my king got charged by the other KoS... and her got into my backline. With the kings death... battleshock... I was left with 1 grail knight... a damsel... a enchantress and a battlemage. So I sadily conceded.

I will let you know how I do next week.

I sorta forgot to mention when I first posted this my man-at-arms strategy. If you are forced into 1st turn. If you put the MaA in front of your line of horses during deployment. First turn run whem (who cares if they don't get a +1 to saves... their chaff anyway). You may have to command point it, but you want them to do 5 or 6. They get +1 to running because of the horn, so generally I get an 11-12 inch run up with them. Spread them out as far as you can, 1" coherency to the maximum.

Then you move up the horses behind them, however... Make sure everyone is a little bit more then 6" behind the front of the Man-at-Arm bases.

Why? Because in the fight phase everyone elegiable to fight are those who have enemies with in 3" or have completed a charge. So if the enemy charges mutliple things into the man-at-arms. They can kill them with one squad, then pile in 3" with the other charging squads.

If your horses are slightly more then 6" behind that man-at-arms line, then they cannot possibly pile in and engage your horses. (Pile in 3" and have a 3" bubble of engaging...)

Now this tactic is adjusted if your enemy has other ways of increasing their pile-in distance.

Edited by Drakilian
Forgot to add my tactic
  • Thanks 1
  • LOVE IT! 1

• 2 weeks later...

@Drakilian awesome! Looking forward to seeing all your games. 

28 minutes ago, Garz25 said:

Hello, I know the army isnt supported anymore and I'm not sure if it's cheaper finding alternatives or just slowly going through Ebay. What would be good alternatives? Also are pegasus knights worth it?

Pegasus Knights are unfortunately NOT worth it. If you are serious about starting a Bretonnian army, I can let you know that I have about 2000 points of them that I’m considering putting up for sale. I’m in Europe so if you’re American then maybe it won’t be worth it. Feel free to send me a message if you’re interested. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, oscisi said:

@Drakilian awesome! Looking forward to seeing all your games. 

Pegasus Knights are unfortunately NOT worth it. If you are serious about starting a Bretonnian army, I can let you know that I have about 2000 points of them that I’m considering putting up for sale. I’m in Europe so if you’re American then maybe it won’t be worth it. Feel free to send me a message if you’re interested. 

Yeah sorry I am in the US.

I have started putting a list together, I really wanted to put the king in but can’t find the points for him.

1 x Enchantress 

1 x Brettonnian lord on peg (gen)

8 x Kotr

8 x Kotr 

8 x Kotr

1 x great eagle

1 x great eagle 

20 x greatswords

20 x greatswords

10 x grail knights 

idea is for grail knights supported by the enchantress is my main hammer and the eagles to act as chaff to make sure I get the charge.

greatswords units are for objective grabbers with the ability to dish out some hurt.

KotR are for attacking chaff and low armoured hordes 

i would like to be semi competitive and I want to use brett cav

I am thinking of removing one unit of Kotr and add 16 x men at arms throw away unit and 1 x free people general to support the greatswords 

Edited by Dragon10

@Garz25 no worries, I’m sure you can find Bretonnians for sale in the US as well. 

On 6/6/2019 at 9:18 PM, Drakilian said:

And another game of Bretonnia showed up on MWG.

I faced our age old enemy of Beastmen!

And come out with me sending them home!

Also... I wore the chainmail for the entire battrep. So be prepared for jingling.

Awesome game, my man! Was truly a joy to watch :D On a day when you roll like that, you don’t need the Chronomantic Cogs. But I would still like to recommend that you consider adding some of the top tier Endless Spells to your army in the future :)

Also, props to you for being a moderator in the video’s comment section and defusing any drama stirring up there. 

20 hours ago, Dragon10 said:

I have started putting a list together, I really wanted to put the king in but can’t find the points for him.

1 x Enchantress 

1 x Brettonnian lord on peg (gen)

8 x Kotr

8 x Kotr 

8 x Kotr

1 x great eagle

1 x great eagle 

20 x greatswords

20 x greatswords

10 x grail knights 

idea is for grail knights supported by the enchantress is my main hammer and the eagles to act as chaff to make sure I get the charge.

greatswords units are for objective grabbers with the ability to dish out some hurt.

KotR are for attacking chaff and low armoured hordes 

i would like to be semi competitive and I want to use brett cav

I am thinking of removing one unit of Kotr and add 16 x men at arms throw away unit and 1 x free people general to support the greatswords 

Hello there, @Dragon10! Welcome to the Bretonnia fan club :)

To be completely honest, I’m having kind of a hard time seeing a theme in your army. It looks a little too much of a mishmash of units to me. Are you dead set on using Greatswords? I would actually recommend that you use Freeguild Guard instead, since they are unconditional battleline. That way you will not need to worry about filling battleline slots with your Knights. 

To use your Bretonnian models optimally you should put the Knights of the Realm together into one unit of at least 16 models (and I personally believe more than that is impractical) so that you get the bonus for having 10 or more models. With the left over points you should be able to afford the King, who is quite valuable for his 24 inch bubble of battleshock immunity and damage output potential. If you can’t get him, then I would suggest getting even more Grail Knights. 

I hope at least some of my feedback can be of help - let me know your thoughts. Cheers

Edited by oscisi
Spelling

Thank you :)

I’m not set on using greatswords but I like the models and thought I would need extra bodies for objective grabbing and they seem to have ok save and decent dmg output. I was hoping for some sort of foot knights.

I like the idea of 2 x 10 grail knights and a big unit of 16kotr, are 16 really hard to use and move around? Can’t see them killing much so are they a road block and objective grab unit? 

21 minutes ago, Dragon10 said:

Thank you :)

I’m not set on using greatswords but I like the models and thought I would need extra bodies for objective grabbing and they seem to have ok save and decent dmg output. I was hoping for some sort of foot knights.

I like the idea of 2 x 10 grail knights and a big unit of 16kotr, are 16 really hard to use and move around? Can’t see them killing much so are they a road block and objective grab unit? 

All I’m saying is since you could be using foot soldiers as battleline, there’s no need to split your KotR into two units of 8. One unit of 16 is better. If you give them divine favor (for the horse attacks at the charge and for all attacks in the enemy’s combat phase) from he Enchantress, get the charge off, and attack before any of the Knights have died off, you would be looking at 33 attacks hitting on 2s rerolling 1s and wounding on 3s dealing 2 damage each. Plus the 32 horse attacks hitting on 3s rerolling 1s and wounding on 4s. 

And yes, 2x10 Grail Knights would most certainly wreak havoc :D

Here’s a fun list a friend of mine suggested for a 1750point tournament where you were allowed to give each of your casters a spell from a realm in the end of the Malign Sorceries book:

Allegiance: Order
Mortal Realm: Aqshy

Leaders
Enchantress (160)
- General: Strategic genious
- Spell: Inferno blades
- Artefact: Ignax's Scales 

Damsel (100)
- Spell: Parch

Enchantress (160)
- Spell: Stoke Rage

Battleline
16 x Men At Arms (120)
16 x Men At Arms (120)
16 x Men At Arms (120)

Units
10 x Grail Knights (360)
10 x Grail Knights (360)

War Machines
Field Trebuchet (220)

Total: 1720 / 1750

I wouldn’t play this list myself but it’s a fun and quite specialized list (everything is about blocking the enemy, shooting off any meat shield chaff, and then stomp the enemy with an epic charge).

Edited by oscisi
Clarification

Good Evening Early Morning from Australia~

First off, I just wanted to say that it's lovely to see others around who still play our beloved Knights of the Lady even in the grim times that make up Age of Sigmar. In all honestly I haven't looked at AoS at all since it came out and basically quite playing Warhammer at that point due to the level of pain I felt at my beloved Bretonnians and beloved Fantasy World being torn asunder in the lore. And honestly probably would have been that will still had I not still been subscribed to MWG and happened to see a Bretonnain AoS game pop up in my subscriptions feed. Which was a shock, but I immediately clicked on the video and watched the multiple glorious charges (and multiple failed charges for the Minotaurs, bless the Lady and bad dice rolls) and was very, very happy to see the whole game play out. 

Thus this afternoon I've done some meandering around looking for rules etc. And I've found myself here, feeling very glad that there are still some others who fly banners emblazoned with the holy grail out there somewhere. And with this discovery, I'm now intent on raising my own once again. And luckily, I never actually sold off my old force either, although it's almost entirely unpainted and there a quite a few riderless horses. Still, that just gives room to design as I need to.

So, the current model count is something like this:

1x Griffon Lord (Originally Island of Blood elven lord, due for a conversion.)

2x Pegasus Knights

1 x Mounted Lord w/ Lance & Shield [Empire Captain on Horseback]

1 x Paladin Standard Beaerer [Empire Captain on Horseback w/ Banner]

32 x Peasant Bowmen (with 2 full commands)

40 x Knights of the Realm / Knights Errant / Possible Grail Knights (Might be 48, will need to check tomorrow)

Bit of a mouthful I know but I'm currently trying to work out what to do with this mob. Currently I'm thinking of converting the 2 Pegasus Knights into becoming Damsels, Paladins or Lords seeing as from what I've read here they really aren't worth using and I'd have to source out a third model anyway to make them into a unit. 

Concerning the Peasant Bowmen, they appear to be a lost cause. Although I'll probably use them occasionally, even if only as a DISTRACTION CARNIFEX to use the 1D4chan terminology. 

Which leaves the Knight blob... It's a little awkward now that you can't add Knights to the unit as individuals as it means that if I want to convert some of them into Grail Knights (Or Questing Knights I suppose, but as already mentioned they are out shined by mostly everyone else) I'm going to end up with 3-6 leftover models, which feels like a bit of a waste. So what are peoples suggestions on the matter? 

That all aside, I just wanted to say that it's awesome to see others talking about Fair Bretonnia and a special thanks to @Drakilianfor inspiring me into looking into Age of Sigmar after such a long break from the Warhammer World.

Regards,
~ilaxu

• LOVE IT! 3

3 hours ago, ilaxu 'Minute' said:

Good Evening Early Morning from Australia~

First off, I just wanted to say that it's lovely to see others around who still play our beloved Knights of the Lady even in the grim times that make up Age of Sigmar. In all honestly I haven't looked at AoS at all since it came out and basically quite playing Warhammer at that point due to the level of pain I felt at my beloved Bretonnians and beloved Fantasy World being torn asunder in the lore. And honestly probably would have been that will still had I not still been subscribed to MWG and happened to see a Bretonnain AoS game pop up in my subscriptions feed. Which was a shock, but I immediately clicked on the video and watched the multiple glorious charges (and multiple failed charges for the Minotaurs, bless the Lady and bad dice rolls) and was very, very happy to see the whole game play out. 

Thus this afternoon I've done some meandering around looking for rules etc. And I've found myself here, feeling very glad that there are still some others who fly banners emblazoned with the holy grail out there somewhere. And with this discovery, I'm now intent on raising my own once again. And luckily, I never actually sold off my old force either, although it's almost entirely unpainted and there a quite a few riderless horses. Still, that just gives room to design as I need to.

So, the current model count is something like this:

1x Griffon Lord (Originally Island of Blood elven lord, due for a conversion.)

2x Pegasus Knights

1 x Mounted Lord w/ Lance & Shield [Empire Captain on Horseback]

1 x Paladin Standard Beaerer [Empire Captain on Horseback w/ Banner]

32 x Peasant Bowmen (with 2 full commands)

40 x Knights of the Realm / Knights Errant / Possible Grail Knights (Might be 48, will need to check tomorrow)

Bit of a mouthful I know but I'm currently trying to work out what to do with this mob. Currently I'm thinking of converting the 2 Pegasus Knights into becoming Damsels, Paladins or Lords seeing as from what I've read here they really aren't worth using and I'd have to source out a third model anyway to make them into a unit. 

Concerning the Peasant Bowmen, they appear to be a lost cause. Although I'll probably use them occasionally, even if only as a DISTRACTION CARNIFEX to use the 1D4chan terminology. 

Which leaves the Knight blob... It's a little awkward now that you can't add Knights to the unit as individuals as it means that if I want to convert some of them into Grail Knights (Or Questing Knights I suppose, but as already mentioned they are out shined by mostly everyone else) I'm going to end up with 3-6 leftover models, which feels like a bit of a waste. So what are peoples suggestions on the matter? 

That all aside, I just wanted to say that it's awesome to see others talking about Fair Bretonnia and a special thanks to @Drakilianfor inspiring me into looking into Age of Sigmar after such a long break from the Warhammer World.

Regards,
~ilaxu

Oh, man! This really warms my heart. You are the third person I know of that created an account just to join our awesome community here (@Drakilian being one of the others). I extend to you the warmest of welcomes :)

I think you are going to have a lot of fun painting this and working on your conventions. I don’t know how crafty you are and the level of your conversion game, but it would be awesome if you managed to convert your peasant bowmen into men-at-arms. A horde of objective grabbing meat shield chaff can never hurt. You could probably buy a Damsel on horseback and just pop her on one of your pegs, like you suggested, and that would be that. The last Pegasus Knight could probably be used as a Bretonnian Lord on Pegasus without any conversion needed what so ever. 

My suggestion for the Knights would be to use as few of them as possible to fill your mandatory battleline slots. Then, if you are able to get your hands on an Enchantress, make the rest of your horsemen into Grail Knights.

Would be really cool if you were able to share some pics of your army, and even cooler if you wanted to keep us posted on your progress on getting them ready for the tabletop. 

May the blessings of the Lady  be upon you :D

• LOVE IT! 1

@Dragon10 Looks good! I tried to stay pure bretonnian but its pretty good list! Do tell how it goes.

@oscisi Endless spells are grand, but with how many other wizards. I have met I dont trust endless spells in a army that needs the synergy. Especially with the rumours that is going up 20 or 30 points. The archmage is the only thing I would be willing to part with in my list.

I am actually trying to find something that can let me re-roll wounds.

@ilaxu 'Minute' oh I am flatered! The list I use in miniwargaming is the list I took to adepticon (however I had legendary fighter vice strategic genius). Its been the best list I have managed to date.

I went 3-2 with it in adepticon,

1st loss was because grail knights rolled triple 1s for a 3" charge.... twice. They really thought the King could take Nagash alone.

2nd was welll the ironjawz turn 1 charged my man at arms, rebounded into my knights and killed half my knights turn 1....

Good morning~

I said I would raise the banners and so I am doing so with the utmost haste. I have already planned a Knightly incursion to the local realm of GW to run out the basic force for a bit of rust removal. With any luck the Brave Knights of Guilles will perform admirably to their set task.

If I can get some games in (as well as learning about the game of course) then I will post up some reports later.

@oscisi I'll slowly add pictures as my army progresses but right now all one would see is a lot of mostly grey horses, hardly a magnificent sight. As for my conversion game, I'm admittedly still only a rookie. I've done a tonne of kitbashing in the past but very little full on conversions, and for the most part I'll have to convert already built models so it could be a bit tricky.
For army composition, 2 units of Knights Errant with a Damsel following them on Pegasi sounds like a good fit for the cav part of the Battleline. Then just adding a unit of the peasantry and that should leave plenty of room for the Grail Knights en Masse alongside the Lord & Prophetess(es). Although I want to test out the big Knights of the Realm Mobs to see if they are worth taking properly.

@Drakilian Did Legendary Fighter prove to be worth taking? Also, what relic did you take? My personal mindset is t grab the Obstinate Blade for -2 Rend on the Sword of Heroes.

Regards,
~ilaxu

On a desolate plain there is a solitary hill, with the ruins of a civilization long past sitting atop its ancient mass. From the ruins come a wind carrying the voices of the damned, and even from the vast distance between the campsite and the hill the wails are still audible. And yet, in spite of that the men stand firm beneath the black banner marked with the golden thread in the shape of a grail, eager at a chance for glory as the lady in trappings of white and gold leads a solemn prayer to that most holy of beings. 

Then, as the sun crests the horizon and light spills over the hill, the wails intensify, only to be met by the answering calls of the trumpeters as the Bretonnians ride to war...

Hey all,

So I had my first ever match of Age of Sigmar today. Was only a small skirmish and points scores weren't used but I'll share it anyway.

Army comp was as follows:

NIGHT HAUNT:
Knight of Shadows on Steed

Lord Executioner

10x Chainrasp Wraiths

5x Glaivewraith Stalkers

vs

BRETONNIA:

Lord on Horseback

Damsel on Pegasi

8x Knights Errant

8x Knights Errant

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Deployment was pretty straightforward, with the Bretonnians deploying in a position to circle around the hill whilst the Night Haunt went for a wider battleline approach with the intention of going straight over the hill.

2041769012_00Deployment.jpg.0ffef45d5320d6edf3b372744d722a97.jpg

The roll off saw Bretonnia take the initiative in the name of the lady and began to advance around the base of the hill, with a precursory Divine Favour granted to the Lord in case of emergency.

1968780912_01Bretonnia.jpg.830db6460a1550b1d34c0b9f7641a352.jpg

Turns out this may have been quite useful had dice rolls not gone in my favour, as the Ghostly Undead advance and the Knight of Shades attempts a long distance charge. However, thanks to the Lady's Blessing, it falls far short of the target. 

313731715_02Nighthaunt.jpg.154b0aa616083816c200e3cb9c76e9b0.jpg

Turn 2 sees the Knights of Guilles take the initiative once again and immediately does an about face, launching a series of deadly charges against the foe. Both of the opposing lords take four wounds apiece (The Knights Errant actually scored 0, it was all the horses doing the work...) whilst the Chainrasp Mob loses half their number to the lances of the second unit of Knights Errant, clearly inspired to perform well in front of the damsel flying above. Three brave Knights are lost however, and the lord is wounded by the executioner.

1166679052_03Bretonnia.jpg.df93a8b6b98a4e04d7e3137c073ad9ed.jpg

The undead quickly try to turn back the match. After all, victory for the match is decided by whoever owns their lord at the end. Thus the Glaivewraiths immediately line up and charge into the lord. All looked ill until a timely consumed quicksilver potion allowed the lord to strike first! In a feat of arms he singlehandedly dispatched the Lord Executioner, leaving the Glaivewraiths to try and finish the job but ultimately, failing b\to cause a crucial third wound and killing the lord.

On the western flank things progressed far better however, with nearly equal trades as the Knights Errant fighting the Chainrasp's traded two of their number for three of theirs, whilst the other unit killed the Knight of Shades albeit at a loss of two of their own.

1164235866_04NightHaunt.jpg.d2c7b2ea9b36628db51a3fb857ad7f68.jpg

The beginning of turn 3 saw another 6 rolled for the initiative. Truly the blessings of the Lady were upon us. Intent on making this the final round, the Damsel sent her airborne charger into a frenzy as she dived at the remaining two chainrasps to assist the mauled unit of Knights Errant, rewarding their efforts in the tough fight and finishing the foe.

The other unit, now only 5 men strong and missing their banner, rode hard to assist their lord, killing two of the foul creatures outright. The lord himself only accounted for one as his wounds by this point were greatly effecting his combative ability. In return, the remaining shade wraiths caused a fifth and final wound upon the Lord. But, when all seemed lost, the Lady spoketh and the dice fell upon a 6. The wound was spared as the blessing granted by the Damsel negated the ghostly glaive.

630398386_05Bretonnia.jpg.9cf196decb892bac242a9bff4f730607.jpg

The final turn was short but sweet. The two remaining Glaivewraiths tried to finish the job against the gallant lord, but once again the Blessing of the Lady turned aside the foul creatures cursed weapons and the Knights Errant and Lord dispatched the final two foes with fervent abandon. As the last of the wraiths faded away, the men of Bretonnia let out a cry, though the Knights Errant who survived would never be quite so eager for a fight, as half their number lay dead and dying upon that cursed hill top...

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

So to summarise, a quick game but a fun one. The Lady was most certainly shining upon me with the favourable dice rolls at the right times. So, what can I take out of this match? Well, first off, never underestimate horses. The horses did soooo much work during this game. 

On a more serious note, the Knights Errant performed admirably thanks to the presence of the Damsel nearby but I have serious concerns about the Bravery issues should they start losing a fight, and they seem to lack the punch without a buff spell to deal with ethereal units. 

The Damsel was a life saver (literally saved the lord after all) and without her this would have been a draw. But I am certainly feeling the lack of spellpower with her and in future I will 100% be going for a Prophetess first. 

The Lord himself is a little underwhelming, but I feel this had more to do with the fact that he was not in ideal fights during this battle as his monster hunter rule never came into effect, the Lord Executioner was giving him a negative penalty to attacks and in the end there were some less than ideal dice rolls.

Anyway, that concludes the days actions. Hope you all enjoyed the read and feel free to let me know what you think.

Regards,
~Alexi

06 Night Haunt.jpg

• Like 2
  • LOVE IT! 1

@ilaxu 'Minute' awesome stuff! Perfect battle report with great writing and just the right level of detail to be able to visualize the battle, but not get bored reading. Couldn’t have done it better myself.

Some small feedback on your last two posts: 1. No stress what so ever, sharing painted models is always the most fun. 2. I always go for legendary fighter since the King’s sword is so good. If you feel like you are failing too many charges then consider strategic genius for using the Forward to Victory command ability. 3. I agree on your comments about your current force. The addition of the King (and the immunity to battleshock he brings), better casters and Grail Knights should cover all the tools you were lacking both in terms of offensiveness and defensiveness. 

I’ll end with a short word of advice: if you finish deploying first: think twice on whether or not you really want first turn. Off the top of my head, I can’t think of a single game I’ve played where I didn’t prefer to choose to go second. Anyway, looking forward to seeing more posts from you. If you keep the quality of battle reports at that level, I won’t even need to be subscribed to miniwargaming any more ;) 

• Thanks 1

29 minutes ago, oscisi said:

@ilaxu 'Minute' awesome stuff! Perfect battle report with great writing and just the right level of detail to be able to visualize the battle, but not get bored reading. Couldn’t have done it better myself.

Some small feedback on your last two posts: 1. No stress what so ever, sharing painted models is always the most fun. 2. I always go for legendary fighter since the King’s sword is so good. If you feel like you are failing too many charges then consider strategic genius for using the Forward to Victory command ability. 3. I agree on your comments about your current force. The addition of the King (and the immunity to battleshock he brings), better casters and Grail Knights should cover all the tools you were lacking both in terms of offensiveness and defensiveness. 

I’ll end with a short word of advice: if you finish deploying first: think twice on whether or not you really want first turn. Off the top of my head, I can’t think of a single game I’ve played where I didn’t prefer to choose to go second. Anyway, looking forward to seeing more posts from you. If you keep the quality of battle reports at that level, I won’t even need to be subscribed to miniwargaming any more ;) 

I like to do creative writing and battle reports tend to be a good way to get some practice. Plus I've read so many White Dwarf Magazines when I was younger that it's basically just habit to think of them that way these days. First time I've ever actually written one out though, so I'll improve it considerably 

That aside, I must admit that I actually don't know the range of abilities that CP can be used for besides activating the Lord/King abilities. Care to enlighten me?

For army comp, I normally wouldn't have used a list like that but the GW staff member wanted something comparatively small to fight as he was using the Store display force from Soul Wars. Still, I totally agree that Casters, Grail Knights & the King will solve issues. I 100% want some more buff spells for improving damage potential.

As for who went first, I actually would have chosen to go second but the staff member said it ran as whoever rolled highest went first for turn one. 

Regards,
~ilaxu

1 hour ago, ilaxu 'Minute' said:

I like to do creative writing and battle reports tend to be a good way to get some practice. Plus I've read so many White Dwarf Magazines when I was younger that it's basically just habit to think of them that way these days. First time I've ever actually written one out though, so I'll improve it considerably 

That aside, I must admit that I actually don't know the range of abilities that CP can be used for besides activating the Lord/King abilities. Care to enlighten me?

For army comp, I normally wouldn't have used a list like that but the GW staff member wanted something comparatively small to fight as he was using the Store display force from Soul Wars. Still, I totally agree that Casters, Grail Knights & the King will solve issues. I 100% want some more buff spells for improving damage potential.

As for who went first, I actually would have chosen to go second but the staff member said it ran as whoever rolled highest went first for turn one. 

Regards,
~ilaxu

The store employee probably knew the rule, but over simplified it. Many armies do want to go first, so that might be how he interprets it. The actual wording of the rule is: the player who finished setting up their army first chooses who has the first turn. In a similar way, winning a roll-off doesn’t automatically grant you the first turn in following battle rounds, just the ability to choose who goes first. 

You always gain one command point at the start of your hero phase. See pic below with a screenshot from the Age of Sigmar app with the rules for command abilities:

C7EBD787-E6AD-4124-838B-7CC1A1C122F8.jpeg.edc901ecea37d3d46edbf7cf4675bb2c.jpeg

Ended up doing a full check through this evening.

Final count ended up being 48 Knights that can be turned into one thing or another. Now to just work out what to do about Riders and color schemes...

Bretonnians.png.48b77e8a52d5ab696e1138c871acea83.png

Part of me wants to do the 'traditional' many coloured march that Bretonnia typically displayed, but at the same time I'm tempted to do something similiar to what @Drakilian and have groups painted up in uniform colour schemes. Highly tempted to try a black and white design like one of the old White Dwarf show models. (Black & White with an axe, believe he was a named character.)

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Seems to be a pity, none of those abilities seem to be of particular use to the Bretonnians overall...

So CP are PURELY for activating abilities? I thought I'd seen on Miniwargaming that they can be used for re-rolls or something? Or is that a home rule they use?

Regards,
~ilaxu

Edited by ilaxu 'Minute'
Adding a Statement

@ilaxu 'Minute' nice! That’s a healthy amount of Knights!

Command points can be used for almost anything depending on what the command ability of your general has. Check out some warscrolls online, there are several that grant re-rolls. But actually I disagree regarding the three standard ones. Battleshock immunity is essential for our low bravery army if we are confident enough to do a list without the king, charging is is literally at the core of Bretonnia so rerolling those rolls happens almost every game, and sometimes a run of 6 can be the difference between reaching an objective in time or not. 

It will be very interesting to follow your posts and see both your creative writing and painted up models development. The model you are thinking of is Theodoric d'Brionne. In the Old World he was the duke of Brionne, a dukedom with a black and white coat-of-arms sporting an axe in the middle. The story goes that the hero who freed the land of Brionne fought a whole battle with an orc’s axe jammed stuck into his shield. Here’s a pic of Theodoric, and I have to agree, he looks great:

11757247-0B7E-47DC-9B84-F089CEF1CC31.jpeg.9a83874be5afe3df8bfbd0d03e42ffb5.jpeg

• Thanks 1

13 minutes ago, oscisi said:

@ilaxu 'Minute' nice! That’s a healthy amount of Knights!

Command points can be used for almost anything depending on what the command ability of your general has. Check out some warscrolls online, there are several that grant re-rolls. But actually I disagree regarding the three standard ones. Battleshock immunity is essential for our low bravery army if we are confident enough to do a list without the king, charging is is literally at the core of Bretonnia so rerolling those rolls happens almost every game, and sometimes a run of 6 can be the difference between reaching an objective in time or not. 

It will be very interesting to follow your posts and see both your creative writing and painted up models development. The model you are thinking of is Theodoric d'Brionne. In the Old World he was the duke of Brionne, a dukedom with a black and white coat-of-arms sporting an axe in the middle. The story goes that the hero who freed the land of Brionne fought a whole battle with an orc’s axe jammed stuck into his shield. Here’s a pic of Theodoric, and I have to agree, he looks great:

11757247-0B7E-47DC-9B84-F089CEF1CC31.jpeg.9a83874be5afe3df8bfbd0d03e42ffb5.jpeg

That indeed would be the lord who I had in mind. Although I have no idea if I could honestly paint an army up to that kind of standard tbh. But I'd like to try something in that vein at least.

And fair point about the abilities, perhaps I should adjust my statement to I haven't seen a huge amount of situations that they are useful as they're often overlapped by the abilities of the lords. In much the same way that the knights getting re-rolls for battleshock on the charge is pointless, because order gave them re-rolls for battleshock by default. Admitedly better than nothing though and if you can't get the Hippogryph King then it's considerably more worthwhile.

On a rules note, I came across this and wondered how exactly does this work and would it feasibly be of any use to the Bretonnians? 

1121633856_CityAlliances.jpg.2c30579c4505636098d3b224b473ea45.jpg

None of the other City Alliances are able to be used by the Bretonnians, but Hammerhal is the one which could be used. And if that Bravery bonus is in addition to the re-roll failed battleshock tests that Order gives then wouldn't it be a massive upgrade?

Anyway, I'm off to bed as it's midnight. But may the Lady's Blessings shine upon you all.

Regards,
~ilaxu

10 minutes ago, ilaxu 'Minute' said:

On a rules note, I came across this and wondered how exactly does this work and would it feasibly be of any use to the Bretonnians? 

1121633856_CityAlliances.jpg.2c30579c4505636098d3b224b473ea45.jpg

None of the other City Alliances are able to be used by the Bretonnians, but Hammerhal is the one which could be used. And if that Bravery bonus is in addition to the re-roll failed battleshock tests that Order gives then wouldn't it be a massive upgrade?

Right, so I may or may not have taken 10 minutes to actually read up on this before bed because curiosity is a dangerous animal...

Turns out, this is actually entirely doable as the Bretonnians don't have a unique trait curse you GeeWee, they are a part of the Order Alliance no they aren't undead you damn flesh eater court fan boys and are, funnily enough, not Lizardmen Seraphon 10ft tall illuminati lizards...

Soooooooo, guess that means that EVERYTHING in the Bretonnian roster gets +1 Bravery AND Re-Rolls for Battleshock... That was a pleasant little find. Or was this something people were already doing?