AoS 2 - Bretonnia Discussion

oscisi

11 hours ago, Drakilian said:

Life hit me with a fast ball and currently changing commands. Have a lack of internet and other things.

I went 3-2 at Adepticon.

Was in that top 45%

Placed 81 out of 186.

Will post more when I can. Full reports.

No worries. I hope things will get sorted as soon as possible. And we are for sure looking forward to those reports. 

But hey - congratulations! Placing in the top 45% is definitely an achievement considering that you’re using an army that hasn’t been updated at all during the last three years. 

Impressive to say the least :)

• 3 weeks later...

Hi bros,  i am glad i found this group. I have a bunch of knights half finished , like 10 years ago, and now want to complete my long project. I need to rebase my models....

i know this might have already been discussed above, but just cant finish the long discussions.

can any bros confirm me what base size I should base my pegasus??? I am thinking 50 round, but have read from the infamous wrong conversion table that they should be based on the 100x45 oval base. Which is correct?

On 4/25/2019 at 12:05 PM, Tommy Orc said:

Hi bros,  i am glad i found this group. I have a bunch of knights half finished , like 10 years ago, and now want to complete my long project. I need to rebase my models....

i know this might have already been discussed above, but just cant finish the long discussions.

can any bros confirm me what base size I should base my pegasus??? I am thinking 50 round, but have read from the infamous wrong conversion table that they should be based on the 100x45 oval base. Which is correct?

I am going to base my answer on my own gut feeling and literally no facts at all, but here goes :P

The unit I find the most similar to Pegasus Knights are actually Plague Drones from the Nurgle army. Both units are worth 200 points and consist of 3 flying models. The Plague Drones are on 60mm round bases so that's what I would use. In reality I don't believe anyone you play against using a Bretonnian army will give you a hard time regarding any advantages you might have. No-one ever mentioned, let alone complained, about the fact that I have all my models on the original square bases (the reason for this is that I still want to be able to use the models for Warhammer Fantasy Battles).

I, too, am glad that you found this group and hope you will enjoy your stay!

Untitled.jpg.d1c4fa082e329f2ff5f93a6bcba0eee0.jpg

PS. Hoping to be able to post some more battle reports soon, but lately I haven't really had the time to get any games in...

Edited by oscisi
messing with the screenshot

As I decided to go to adepticon I had to get as official as I could with my model bases. @Tommy Orc

King on Hippogryph = 60mm

Enchantress = 75 x 46mm

Damsel on Foot = 25mm

Damsel on Horse =  60 x 35mm

Damsel on Pegasus = 60mm

Green Knight = 60 x 35mm

Brettonian Lord = 60 x 35mm

Knight Errent = 60 x 35mm

Knight of the Realm = 60 x 35mm

Questing Knight = 60 x 35mm

Grail Knight = 60 x 35mm

Pegasus Knights = 60mm

Men-at-Arms = 25mm

Peasant Archers = 25mm

Mounted Yoeman = 60 x 35mm

Battle Pilgrims = 25 mm

Reliquae = 106 x 70mm (This one I am the most unsure of however)

Trebuchet = No base for this one, but the crew men go on 25 mm

We use the following base sizes for Bretonnia:

King on Hippogryph (60 mm)
Enchantress (75x42 mm)
Sacred Protector (75x42 mm)
Bretonnian Lord on Pegasus (75x42 mm)
Bretonnian Lord on Steed (60x35 mm)
Noble Champion (32 mm)
Noble Standard Bearer (60x35 mm)
Damsel on Pegasus (75x42 mm)
Damsel on Purebred Horse (60x35 mm)
Damsel on Foot (32 mm)
Knights Errant (60x35 mm)
Knights of the Realm (60x35 mm)
Questing Knights (60x35 mm)
Grail Knights (60x35 mm)
Pegasus Knights (75x42 mm)
Battle Pilgrims (25 mm)
Grail Reliquae (75x42 mm)
Men-At-Arms (25 mm)
Peasant Bowmen (25 mm)
Mounted Yeomen (60x35 mm)
Field Trebuchet (120x92 mm)
Trebuchet Crew (25 mm)

2 hours ago, Duke of Gisoreux said:

We use the following base sizes for Bretonnia:

King on Hippogryph (60 mm)
Enchantress (75x42 mm)
Sacred Protector (75x42 mm)
Bretonnian Lord on Pegasus (75x42 mm)
Bretonnian Lord on Steed (60x35 mm)
Noble Champion (32 mm)
Noble Standard Bearer (60x35 mm)
Damsel on Pegasus (75x42 mm)
Damsel on Purebred Horse (60x35 mm)
Damsel on Foot (32 mm)
Knights Errant (60x35 mm)
Knights of the Realm (60x35 mm)
Questing Knights (60x35 mm)
Grail Knights (60x35 mm)
Pegasus Knights (75x42 mm)
Battle Pilgrims (25 mm)
Grail Reliquae (75x42 mm)
Men-At-Arms (25 mm)
Peasant Bowmen (25 mm)
Mounted Yeomen (60x35 mm)
Field Trebuchet (120x92 mm)
Trebuchet Crew (25 mm)

Awesome to see you here, @Duke of Gisoreux! I’m a big fan of your content.  Thanks for the clarification of base sizes!

• Like 1

Seems pegasus is the only major dispute here. Either 60mm round or 75mm x 42mm

It would seem to me 60mm is more logical, since the pegasus model and the hippogriff model have the same wings and very similar mount body size. There is no dispute that the Hippo is on 60mm.

@Verengard they all look amazing, there’s no doubt about that. With those big wingspans, however, it seems like such small bases could create coherency problems while doing specific manoeuvres, like piling in. Not sure if anyone here has an assembled set of Pegs and can confirm?

Hello everyone, created an account just to join in this discussion.

I recently bought a bunch of old Bretonnia models. They're an army that I've always wanted to collect, but have been unsupported and out of production for the entire time I've been playing Age of Sigmar. But finally got round to just buying pre-owned ones.

I've managed to try them out three times so far. First game was against a clan Skyre Skaven army, where I did well, but ultimately lost. But at the end, the Skaven player only had 3 stormfiends, an engineer, and a warp lightning cannon left alive. 

The second game was against a Legion of Azgorh army (me and my friends collect weird armies). I lost this game as well, but it was ultimately due to bad rolls. I managed to get off nearly all my charges on turn 2, which is what you want....but just failed to do any damage at all...Also my king somehow managed to fail a 4 inch charge...

The third game I played was against Slaves to Darkness. Which was a really fun game to play. Two unsupported, lower-tier armies facing off against each other. But I won that pretty handily. My king one shot a sorcerer lord on manticore, then moved over and one shot a giant, then moved over and one shot a daemon prince. 

Overall thoughts: The king is insanely good with the sword of judgement. When I first looked at his cost I was like "Wtf, there is no way he's worth this much" but then game three happened and he turned into a wrecking ball, and more than made his points back. However, he is very squishy, and can be focused, which is what happened in game one. The Skyre player just pointed a warp lightning cannon at him, and he didn't last very long.

Peasant bowmen are useless. I have no idea how they got put at 200 points for 16 models...They're worse than almost all other archer units in the game, and cost way more. 

The Trebuchet is amazing. It can so consistently put out huge amounts of damage. As long as you aim it at squads, it automatically hits you don't even have to roll. Then it's a 3+ to wound on 2 attacks. Then each of those attacks does d6 damage. That's very very reliable 2d6 damage a turn. In every game this thing just wiped out huge numbers of squads. Whether it was chaos warriors, or clanrats, or even K'daai Fireborn. Definitely worth it's point cost. It outshined every single piece of Legion of Azgorh artillery.

Letting your opponent go first is almost essential. This army is so charge reliant, that you almost always want to let your opponent go first, so you can charge them on your first turn. And you need those charges to go well. If they don't, you're screwed. But often times they will.

• Like 1

@HanzoKurosawa I’m glad to hear that our little community has attracted yet another Bretonnia fan. Welcome to the group! 

If you have some, it would be cool to see pics of your army. I’m also curious to hear exactly what lists you’ve been using for your first couple of games? Cheers!

I'll take some pictures later today of the army to post. However, I will prewarn you that they're a mixed bag, since I bought pre-owned. Some are unpainted. Some are painted badly. Some are painted great. Very hit and miss. 

List I've been running so far is: 

King - 400 points - Legendary Fighter - Sword of Judgement 

Trebuchet - 220

Enchantress - 160

8x Knights of the realm - 220

5x Grail Knights - 180

5x Questing Knights - 180

16x Peasant Bowmen - 200

Total - 2000

This was my first ever list, so I put a bit of everything in, to try out different stuff. See what I liked, what I didn't. I'm going to redo it, and will probably drop the Peasant Bowmen altogether, because they're just....not good. And probably swap the Questing Knights for another squad of Grail Knights, because they're the same points cost and just better in my opinion.

I'd add a Damsel or an Archmage for FNP  too, and leave some spare points for an extra CP

Grail Knights are the better option, I'd prob get even more of those, not sold on the Trebuchet, tbh

Edited by Lamekh

@HanzoKurosawa The reason for the Bowman is when AoS first came out. And rules where provided for the old armies.

Bretonnian archers where USA Army Delta Force

and

Tomb King archers where USA Navy Seals.

They ripped the tournament scene to pieces. So they where hit with a bat. Repeatedly.

If you can.  Get 16 man at arms. Their good for two reasons. Meat shields and of sitting on an objective. And make a full 16 man knights of the realm squad (they reroll 1s to hit at 10+)

Turn this questing knights into grail knights. They do better at killing monsters then questing knights.

And I'd drop the trebuchet for a damsel and archmage.

Edited by Drakilian

Hello again everyone,

I changed my list up a bit since the last post. I removed the bowmen and replaced them with a damsel and archmage for the same points. Then swapped the 5 questing knights for another 5 grail knights, and put them with the other 5 to make a single 10 man squad.

I tested this new list out against a Skaven Skyre army.....and absolutely decimated it. My 10 grail knights one shot a squad of 30 acolytes, literally killed them in a single combat phase. My king one shot the Verminlord Warpseer. By the end of my second turn, I'd killed 1000 points of his army, leaving him with just a doomwheel, 6 stormfiends, and a warp lightning cannon. Whilst he hadn't killed a single squad of mine. Two squads were low, but that was all. At that point he conceded. I was still so strong, and his army had been decimated.

So updated thoughts from this game: I'm not 100% sold on the archmage. The 6+ feel no pain is very unreliable, and did so little. But I've only tried him one game. The trebuchet I'm now having mixed thoughts on. On paper, it should be incredible. You auto-hit. Then only need to roll 2 3+ wound rolls. Then you get to do 2d6 damage. It's crazy reliable, heavy hits. But somehow, I managed to fail all 4 3+ rolls this game.....I don't blame that on the Trebuchet though, I blame that entirely on me. But if I did remove the trebuchet, I could bump one of my knights of the realm squads up to 16 man instead, which could be amazing. I might have to give it a try and see how it goes. But at the moment, I still think the Trebuchet is great. It's just so reliable. Especially compared to the artillery units of other armies.

Biggest thought from this game though is: HOLY MOLY Grail Knights hit hard. That 10 man Grail Knight squad was just a wrecking ball sweeping across the board killing anything that dared get in their path. And that wasn't even against deamons/death. 

I've attached some pictures of my models to this post. As I said, because I bought them all off various different places, they are of very mixed quality. Some aren't painted at all. Some are painted mediocre. Some are painted amazing (mainly king + trebuchet + green knight). Most of the pictures are from my game against the Skaven army.

IMG_20190501_104526.jpg

IMG_20190501_104529.jpg

IMG_20190501_104547.jpg

IMG_20190507_192048.jpg

IMG_20190507_192107.jpg

IMG_20190507_192114.jpg

IMG_20190507_192121.jpg

IMG_20190507_192132.jpg

IMG_20190507_192136.jpg

IMG_20190507_192146.jpg

@oscisi So I have been rather busy the past month. And still am very busy. I wont be able to fully post my adepticon adventures just yet. My life wont calm down until late June.

Just to give some news of my adventures at Adepticon. I met and shook hands with Games Workshop's Duncan. Whom called me a man with true honor for bringing in the Bretonnians and oogled at them. I was a bit to awe struck to take a picture with him and regret it. And generally got a lot of praise for bringing in the nights. There where a few disputes to rules, considering how old the army was. My last game was a rage quit by my opponent sadily...

I am actually in route to Miniwargaming again to challenge them once more. Though they are more excited for me to play my Slaanesh (me being a near 11 year veteran of the daemons) my Bretonnians shall make an appereance as well for a grudge match or two.

I plan to let Veto even use my Bretonnians if he wants, as I know he is an avid fan.

Edited by Drakilian
  • Like 2

@HanzoKurosawa fantastic to hear that your army is getting battle hardened and is starting to reap some victories. Regarding the Knights of the Realm there are differing opionions. Myself, I’m one of those who see all Bretonnian battleline options as pure necessities and therefore try to spend as few points of them as possible (that’s why I always use one squad of 16 men at arms and two groups of 8 Knights Errant supported by a Damsel on Pegasus). 

Unfortunately I can’t seem to open the pictures you attached. Not sure what’s wrong. Anyway, hope you have more luck with your 3+ rolls in the future! :)

@Drakilian thanks for the update. Too bad about the rage quit. I’m sure there were people with super cheeky lists at Adepticon so your opponent could probably not handle games against those either. Not suitable to go to Adepticon..

Of course you don’t owe us anything regarding reports of your wargaming, but I do appreciate it. So please take your time. That being said, you really are an amazing ambassador for Bretonnia!! A man of honor indeed.

On 5/14/2019 at 12:48 AM, Bosmer Nightblade said:

I bring good news guys if you don't already know.

You appear to exist! Or at least have done in the age of myth.

Cool!

Thanks for bringing our attention to it. I've actually held the book myself but never bought it. If anyone else wanna read the Bretonnia reference then check out pages 88 and 89 in  The Red Feast!

@Bosmer Nightblade, did you discover this by chance or are you an old Bretonnia fan?  Do you perhaps even have a collection? :)

1 hour ago, oscisi said:

Cool!

Thanks for bringing our attention to it. I've actually held the book myself but never bought it. If anyone else wanna read the Bretonnia reference then check out pages 88 and 89 in  The Red Feast!

@Bosmer Nightblade, did you discover this by chance or are you an old Bretonnia fan?  Do you perhaps even have a collection? :)

So my brother used to collect Bretonnians when we were growing up, but I've always had a soft spot for them because i like the lore, and I'd really like it if there were a human faction in aos like that just holding out against everything in their own lands.

Noticed it by chance in the book though as I'm a bit of a lore fiend lol and started putting the pieces together.

So I have been spending the past week at Miniwargaming. Got in so far... oh... 4 games with Bretonnia. Got another week running.

Bretonnia got a single win this. I have only lost due to double turns thus far.

When the battlereports come out I will let you know. In three of my reports you will see a very important tactic I use with my 16 man at arms. And why I don't care about going first.

I got my revenge win against Steves beast of chaos. Though he failed three 5 inch charges. But still.

For now here is a picture from my battle with Vito today of the Bretonnian charge.

20190524_134203.jpg

• Like 1
  • LOVE IT! 2