AoS 2 - Bretonnia Discussion

oscisi

On 1/7/2021 at 1:36 AM, Grdaat said:

I don't recall that at all, probably because the stores I went to never went out of stock of any of those. They only went out of stock when items went on "last chance to buy" which the Slaanesh and Beasts range never did.

Also the Legends Bretonnia rules have been fixed for a long time now, the most recent one is on their app.

I think what he means is the rule set for “Louen Leoncouer” which was included as a separate entry in legends from “Bretonnian King” has never been updated. In fact, I would go so far as to say he has been excised from the app warscrolls.

• 2 weeks later...
On 1/15/2021 at 5:26 AM, Lord of the Isle said:

I'm developing a Mixed Order force representing descendants of Bretonnia in Hysh with various (non-Lumineth) aelven allies - can put up lore / poss  lists here if of interest! Model wise contains very few Bret models, just Questing Knights and a few archers, mostly Mordheim / Empire / DoW humans plus various aelves

While I approve of anyone who tries to keep the Bretonnians alive in any way, lorewise im kinda unsure how you were able to combine bret q knights with aelves. Most Brets are less than friendly with those of a pointy eared persuasion(not outright animosity more like intelerance and contempt).

It’s a long story but basically the surviving humans have tired of being manipulated and used as mercenaries and auxiliaries by the Lumineth and have teamed up with various tattered groups of non Lumineth aelves of Hysh who also don’t trust Teclis’s children. It’s an alliance of the defeated, desperate and opportunistic. It has however been orchestrated in the shadows by Mysterious Entities

I’m now thinking Cities ruleswise with the knights and Bret heroes being SCE, the commoners being Freeguild, and City Aelf and DoK back up (the DoK are something else lorewise

EDIT - on elves and Brets. Brets and WE were of course buddies in 5th and much less so in 6th but still unavoidably connected, while various places reveal HE influence. But my Hysh ‘Brets’ are mostly working with ‘Dark Elves’ plus Shadow Warriors. It’s going to be a fraught, divided, suspicious force for sure!

Edited by Lord of the Isle

21 hours ago, Lord of the Isle said:

It’s a long story but basically the surviving humans have tired of being manipulated and used as mercenaries and auxiliaries by the Lumineth and have teamed up with various tattered groups of non Lumineth aelves of Hysh who also don’t trust Teclis’s children. It’s an alliance of the defeated, desperate and opportunistic. It has however been orchestrated in the shadows by Mysterious Entities

I’m now thinking Cities ruleswise with the knights and Bret heroes being SCE, the commoners being Freeguild, and City Aelf and DoK back up (the DoK are something else lorewise

EDIT - on elves and Brets. Brets and WE were of course buddies in 5th and much less so in 6th but still unavoidably connected, while various places reveal HE influence. But my Hysh ‘Brets’ are mostly working with ‘Dark Elves’ plus Shadow Warriors. It’s going to be a fraught, divided, suspicious force for sure!

Gotcha, though a point to consider, brets also disliked dark elves due to their habitual piracy and raiding of the brets armada and coastline, so you may want to make them descendants from one of the inland provinces of Bretonnia in your lore

2 hours ago, Mwatts25 said:

Gotcha, though a point to consider, brets also disliked dark elves due to their habitual piracy and raiding of the brets armada and coastline, so you may want to make them descendants from one of the inland provinces of Bretonnia in your lore

Oddly enough they are! Vaguely thinking of them as Brionne / Parravon

9 hours ago, Lord of the Isle said:

Oddly enough they are! Vaguely thinking of them as Brionne / Parravon

Brionne was a coastal city, they basically controlled the southwestern corner of the shoreline in the old world. Parravon would work, other options that would as well include Montfort, Quenelles, Gisoreux, Bastonne, or Artois

Good catch! I wanted them for their lore about poetry and culture, seemed Hyshy 

I wonder tho if there wd actually be fun drama in a post Bret / post Druchii alliance including and despite such ancient beef!

so with that in mind - which dukedom(s) would have had most historic enmity w DE? Generally coasts, but is there anything more specific out there?

Edited by Lord of the Isle

On 2/2/2021 at 3:14 AM, Lord of the Isle said:

Good catch! I wanted them for their lore about poetry and culture, seemed Hyshy 

I wonder tho if there wd actually be fun drama in a post Bret / post Druchii alliance including and despite such ancient beef!

so with that in mind - which dukedom(s) would have had most historic enmity w DE? Generally coasts, but is there anything more specific out there?

Specifically, Languille and Brionne probably were the ones with the most reason to dislike druchii, since they were the 2 most important port city dukedoms in Bretonnian lands, languille as a major mercantile power, and Brionne for its Naval forces. Before the freefall of moussilon from dukedom to damned wasteland, they were also a fairly important mercantile port city, though also the likeliest location of illegal activity(buying and selling of stolen goods, drug trafficking, etc.). Couronne, being the capital dukedom, was likely too big a hazard for piracy targeting. And Lyonesse had the longest length of coastline, so they were more likely to be targeted for raids

• Thanks 3

• 3 months later...

As blasphemous as it sounds I have began a project.... a very dark project. With the introduction of the Soulblight Gravelords...

I am slowly creating an army with the most hated enemy of Bretonnia.

The B***** Duke, the Black Knight, the Serpent....

The Duke of Mousillon, Mallobaude.

Who made a deal with Arkhan the Black in the end times and received the Blood Kiss. I am sure he would be made to "live," again to of course make good on his deal.

Currently converting extra knights of the realm into black knights, men-at-arms into skeletons, evil damsels into necromancers, some of my old bretonnian lords on foot from even older editions into wight kings, and kitbashing left over grail knights with blood knights to make the dreaded "Knights of the Black Grail." Already turned the new vampire lord model (on foot) into Mallobaude.

Edited by Drakilian
  • Like 5

11 hours ago, Drakilian said:

As blasphemous as it sounds I have began a project.... a very dark project. With the introduction of the Soulblight Gravelords...

I am slowly creating an army with the most hated enemy of Bretonnia.

The B***** Duke, the Black Knight, the Serpent....

The Duke of Mousillon, Mallobaude.

Who made a deal with Arkhan the Black in the end times and received the Blood Kiss. I am sure he would be made to "live," again to of course make good on his deal.

Currently converting extra knights of the realm into black knights, men-at-arms into skeletons, evil damsels into necromancers, some of my old bretonnian lords on foot from even older editions into wight kings, and kitbashing left over grail knights with blood knights to make the dreaded "Knights of the Black Grail." Already turned the new vampire lord model (on foot) into Mallobaude.

Dude this project sounds awesome! Would love to see some pictures as your kitbashing and painting progresses. On another note I am guessing all AOS 2 - Faction discussions (topics) will be discontinued once AOS 3 launches, so we'll have to wait and see where us Bretonnia fans will go after the summer.

12 minutes ago, oscisi said:

On another note I am guessing all AOS 2 - Faction discussions (topics) will be discontinued once AOS 3 launches, so we'll have to wait and see where us Bretonnia fans will go after the summer.

AoS 3 Bretonnia discussion?

Tbh if the rumoured everyone's points generally increasing is true then it might put Bretonnia with the current points in a better position? Add in the rumoured generic battalions and potentially more generic abilities for all generals / heroes to do and that might actually be a nice little bonus for the Brets to help them better play against modern armies.

7 hours ago, Lightbox said:

Tbh if the rumoured everyone's points generally increasing is true then it might put Bretonnia with the current points in a better position? 

Depends. If Bretonnia gets removed from the list of models again our points most likely wont be touched. It also depends how big the increase is. 1-5pts here and therw wont do mich to help. But if its like an average of 10pts change for most factions and bret remains where it is. Heck yes it will help.

What would help more is if we got the City of Sigmar keyword. Holy cow (excuse my language TGA, I am a sailor 😧 ) the difference it makes, even just using nothing but bret models. Having access to some more benefits actually helps.

Edited by Drakilian
  • Like 1

14 hours ago, Drakilian said:

Depends. If Bretonnia gets removed from the list of models again our points most likely wont be touched. It also depends how big the increase is. 1-5pts here and therw wont do mich to help. But if its like an average of 10pts change for most factions and bret remains where it is. Heck yes it will help.

What would help more is if we got the City of Sigmar keyword. Holy cow (excuse my language TGA, I am a sailor 😧 ) the difference it makes, even just using nothing but bret models. Having access to some more benefits actually helps.

Yeah I definitely don't see Brets getting point changes unfortunately (or the CoS keyword outside of players adding it themselves in narrative games, but it would be super cool for them to get it.) But yeah if like you say everything else goes up by an average of 10 that would be really nice for brets becoming better priced compared to them, definitely curious to see how AoS3 changes things.

Definitely looking forward to seeing your Mousillon project too! Mousillon sort of themed was what I was planning when I eventually get around to sorting through all my bretonnians. Will be very excited to see the various conversions and kitbashes!

• Thanks 1

Its not really big conversions yet. I tend to stay away from green stuff if I can and find ways to make parts fit. Trting to use 1 knight kit to cover a wide range.

So far we have Mallobaude, as a Vampire Lord. Currently working on his Vengorian Lord form.

Then the test model of the unit leader for the grave guard.

Pay no heed to the Bretonnian lord in the back. He isnt keeping a eye on the bretrayer.

20210607_030450.jpg

20210607_030513.jpg

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

So while we are talking about Bretonnia, I have been putting together a document with sort of "up to speed" rules for them (us (me)).

The document includes Allegiance Abilities (Battle traits, command traits, spell lores, artifacts of power), warscroll battalions and updated warscrolls for noble champion and noble standard bearer, battle pilgrims, as well as updated points for noble standard bearer and noble champion.

If you're interested and want to read it or try it out, let me know how they feel! I haven't had any real chance to try them yet so they are still in pre-alpha I guess ^^'

Bretonnia rules.pdf

• Like 1
  • LOVE IT! 3

5 hours ago, Nattramn said:

So while we are talking about Bretonnia, I have been putting together a document with sort of "up to speed" rules for them (us (me)).

The document includes Allegiance Abilities (Battle traits, command traits, spell lores, artifacts of power), warscroll battalions and updated warscrolls for noble champion and noble standard bearer, battle pilgrims, as well as updated points for noble standard bearer and noble champion.

If you're interested and want to read it or try it out, let me know how they feel! I haven't had any real chance to try them yet so they are still in pre-alpha I guess ^^'

Bretonnia rules.pdf 3.56 MB · 3 downloads

A very valuable contribution! Thank you kindly for sharing this. I was particularly impressed with how you didn’t even sign the document or anything, but just made it out of good will!

Although I am afraid I will not be able to try the rules out myself, I will venture to say that it would be cool if you could do something for the poor Pegasus Knight. As they lack rend and are 20 points more expensive than the Grail Knights they are unfortunately not a competitively sound option, even though they have 2 more wounds to a unit. They need to be either dropped in points, be given rend -1 or maybe get added another ability. 

That being said I think your concept is super cool and I especially enjoy imagining actually being able to cycle charge (just like in Total War: Warhammer) using your Regroup and Conquer warscroll battalion. Cavalry is not meant to be locked in prolonged melee combat.

Cheers again and may your ideas reach GW somehow to be implemented in some blessed (by the Lady obviously) future!

• Like 1

3 hours ago, oscisi said:

I will venture to say that it would be cool if you could do something for the poor Pegasus Knight. As they lack rend and are 20 points more expensive than the Grail Knights they are unfortunately not a competitively sound option, even though they have 2 more wounds to a unit. They need to be either dropped in points, be given rend -1 or maybe get added another ability. 

Hmmm, those pegasus knights passed right over my head 😅

I'll add them to the patch list :)

• Like 1

• 4 months later...

Another good idea for old armies without current points is try to let use more points. For example, 2000p of Lumineth vs 3000p of bretonnia. Because of even with the abbilities thinked by Nattram, 400p of the king are expensive or 600p for 48 archers also are expensives. But 600p to 3000p are exactly like 400p to 2000p. 

And 48 of these archers for 400p are a good horde with one good shoot one time in a battle that could reduce a lot an enemy horde unit (48×3 shoots with +5 +4 rend=0 and d=1 are enough). The brettonian war machine is another type of good miniature vs hordes.

The problem could be the absence of enough damage so as to kill big enemy behemots or units with excellent save, one solution could be to use an allied megagargant. Exists a lot of 3d giants thats fits in an army of bretonnia. 

• Like 2

• 1 month later...

I hope I am in the correct place i.e. Bretonnian - faction discussion and thread for AOS in generall and, in particular, AOS 3

I recently started again on AOS 3 and I am currently re-basing my old models.  I am currently working on AOS play-style bretonnian army simplified rules . Please comment on my thread

Comments are always welcome! Thanks a lot!

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, Endless said:

I hope I am in the correct place i.e. Bretonnian - faction discussion and thread for AOS in generall and, in particular, AOS 3

I recently started again on AOS 3 and I am currently re-basing my old models.  I am currently working on AOS play-style bretonnian army simplified rules . Please comment on my thread

Hello!

Cool to hear that there’s still interest for Bretonnia in AOS 3. This would be the relevant thread to discuss all things Bretonnia. Since we haven’t been told by now to transition over to a new AOS 3 thread I’m assuming we’re just keeping this one. Good luck on your project! Feel free to post your text in its entirety here too, if you want to. 

• Like 1

• 2 months later...
On 12/16/2021 at 12:17 AM, Sartxac said:

"Another good idea for old armies without current points is try to let use more points..."

"Because of even with the abbilities thinked by Nattram, 400p of the king are expensive or 600p for 48 archers also are expensives."

"And 48 of these archers for 400p are a good horde with one good shoot one time in a battle that could reduce a lot an enemy horde unit (48×3 shoots with +5 +4 rend=0 and d=1 are enough). The brettonian war machine is another type of good miniature vs hordes."

I'm looking at point adjustments and most of the list should be cheaper indeed!

Considering the "Freeguild General on Griffon" which costs 320pts, the "King on Hippogryph" shouldn't be more than 300pts. Oppertunities for playtesting have been few during lockdown, but I'll see if I can get a few games in with the updated points. :)

On 2/15/2022 at 4:04 PM, Endless said:

VERY COOL :D I'm gonna have proper read through of this ^^